Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's not related to the Blanchardstown issues but there were two cases in court recently, very serious crimes, and both culprits had a ridiculous amount of prior convictions. One guy had 90, I'm sure, and yet was out walking around free as a bird.

There is certainly something seriously wrong with the legal system, which particular part it is is probably up for debate but it's not at all surprising that this guy is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrMaki

fletch wrote: »
    Although this is also a little depressing

Perhaps they know from experience though that they are only wasting their time.

What else garda had to do? They caught This innocent teenager red faced in balaclava and wearing gloves...
    As I wrote before nothing will change until some people will start using brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

It's not related to the Blanchardstown issues but there were two cases in court recently, very serious crimes, and both culprits had a ridiculous amount of prior convictions. One guy had 90, I'm sure, and yet was out walking around free as a bird.

There is certainly something seriously wrong with the legal system, which particular part it is is probably up for debate but it's not at all surprising that this guy is out.

Terrible. I was one of their victims. I'm still not over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

You do know our justice minister lives in D15,why not email her with concerns and opinions on crime in the area. Surely having our own D15 minister of justice , should mean the area would be relatively crime free? www.francesfitzgerald.ie even a Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

MrMaki wrote: »
    He was granted bail..

http://m.herald.ie/news/courts/teenager-arrested-by-operation-thor-gardai-granted-bail-34195765.html

This is even not funny any more.

Operation Thor should be targeted at judges cooperating with these culprits and letting them go free to commit more crimes.
    Maybe if few judges got locked others would start using their brains.

From the garda perspective this must be very depressing. They risk their lifes on the streets everytime they catch some scumbag, and then some so called judge decide that the poor thing with xxx previous convictions doesn't deserve to be isolated.....

A family business.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/dublin-gang-get-jail-for-killarney-robberies-1.944354

Amazing the amount of burglaries carried out by members of a certain community considering they comprise less than 1% of the population. And all from state sponsored accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

20:30 seems a very bad night to be out doing a door to door selling calanders, in the Stockton area?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

Maybe thinking, very bad night most would be at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

3 guys in a white 10D van around clonsilla village today, caught one guy in a yellow body warmer taking a picture of our house. Called the guards. Stay vigilant guys

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

2008 BMW m sports stolen from Tyrrelstown housing estate last Tue night. The car was parked in front of their house. House was not broken into. Guess the keys were cloned or hacked by the notorious organized car criminals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

dar_cool wrote: »
    3 guys in a white 10D van around clonsilla village today, caught one guy in a yellow body warmer taking a picture of our house. Called the guards. Stay vigilant guys

Why would someone want a photo of your house??? Like what nefarious use would they have?

• Advertisement

They use to mark houses with paint or something I presume it's a new way of identifying a target they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

dar_cool wrote: »
    They use to mark houses with paint or something I presume it's a new way of identifying a target they want.

Complete urban legend, as for the photo of the house, they'll gain nothing which they can't readily obtain by using Google Street view

Complete urban legend, as for the photo of the house, they'll gain nothing which they can't readily obtain by using Google Street view

Cars in the drive? Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Surely they would take down house numbers of potential burglary targets rather than taking pictures (and risk being noticed)? Most strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

no matter the potential reason, someone taking a picture of your house without you knowing why and who they are is concerning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They probably don't care if they are noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I had a car stopped in the front of my home, the driver pulled down the window and took photos of my house, then went away.
    Checked my CCTV (as per my neighbour advice),called Garda in D15 and I've been told they may have false number plates, as they do not match the cars registered to and is pointless to think investigating my case.
    Pointless to report it again then too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Have you got a nice porch or driveway - I was recently getting a new porch built and took pictures of others around that I liked to discuss with the wife and eventually show the builder how we wanted ours to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought it was an urban legend too until it happened to a family member when the were robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Two quick things...

Bogus Barnados collections happening in Dublin 15 at the moment, woman in her thirties and a young girl in her early teens collectibg cash for a Barnados run which isn't happening. Legit charities like this won't collect cash at the door, so always ask for ID and if you are concerned tell the person collecting you are going to ring the Garda station to verify them, if they have nothing to hide then they won't baulk at this.

Dunnes Stores in Ongar held up at gunpoint on Friday last at 8.40pm. Aside from the fact that (in my opinion) its not a great place to do your shopping, something to bear in mind when you are out and about. News Story - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gun-fell-apart-in-dunnes-holdup-after-thief-dropped-weapon-34284525.html

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »
    Have you got a nice porch or driveway - I was recently getting a new porch built and took pictures of others around that I liked to discuss with the wife and eventually show the builder how we wanted ours to look.

No, standard porch, I don't think these guys were innocent, they looked like foreign nationals with hoods up and generally got a bad vibe off them, I drove around the area after to see could I spot the van but couldn't see it. I wonder where they out looking for empty houses on a busy shopping day, thankfully I will be in the house all week. And marking house with paint is definitely not an urban myth. I've seen it a few times with friends/ family.

I thought it was an urban legend too until it happened to a family member when the were robbed.

I've been burgling houses for twenty odd years now and I've never used this tactic.

I've been burgling houses for twenty odd years now and I've never used this tactic.

I use it when I want to massacre all new born baby boys imidiately after Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've been trolling for twenty odd years now and I've never used this tactic.
    I use it when I want to massage something imidiately after Christmas.

If you've nothing useful to add, add nothing. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rachaell

Don't know about paint but they do use chalk. My friends house was robbed recently and there was seven x's on the outside wall, five together and two underneath. The garda said it meant five adults two cars. When it happened the house was only empty for half hour and they only took cash and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Azrel

rachaell wrote: »
    Don't know about paint but they do use chalk. My friends house was robbed recently and there was seven x's on the outside wall, five together and two underneath. The garda said it meant five adults two cars. When it happened the house was only empty for half hour and they only took cash and gold.

Where was this exactly?

rachaell wrote: »

It's always someone's friend, or aunt, or the cousin of the bloke around the corner, no one seems to have any actual first hand experience of this now do they? Incredibly, I've been called a troll already for saying this, but ask yourself, why in God's name would a burglar do this? It does not benefit them in anyway to announce what house they intend to burgle? It is a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rachaell

It's always someone's friend, or aunt, or the cousin of the bloke around the corner, no one seems to have any actual first hand experience of this now do they? Incredibly, I've been called a troll already for saying this, but ask yourself, why in God's name would a burglar do this? It does not benefit them in anyway to announce what house they intend to burgle? It is a myth.
    It was in dublin 12. It was my good friends house and it is 100% true (why the hell would anyone feel the need to make it up! ) I saw the wall myself after it happened, she took pics of it, if she still has them I will post.
    We were baffled aswell. How does it benefit them? When was it marked? Why do they mark them? It doesn't really make sense but it's 100% true. The garda also said they only really take money and gold now as it's not as easy to trace. There was a lot of devices left out in her house that they didn't take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Costello1

Large white van going around Clonsilla with travellers and looking for houses to rob.doorbell went yester, I took my time answering it and I could see a man looking in the side door window.when I walked towards the door he put his hood up and walked away and then ran.another guy was in the neighbours driveway and near their side entrance and ran too.they ran around the corner where the large white van was waiting.at least 4 of them in total, the two at my house jumped in the bck.they had been knocking at random doors before that " selling knives",they had red folders with them so look out for them.they called to houses that looked like no one was home and look very suspicious.van has a Carlow reg.one of them has short red hair and the other wearing a dark green anorak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Costello1 wrote: »
    Large white van going around Clonsilla with travellers and looking for houses to rob.doorbell went yester, I took my time answering it and I could see a man looking in the side door window.when I walked towards the door he put his hood up and walked away and then ran.another guy was in the neighbours driveway and near their side entrance and ran too.they ran around the corner where the large white van was waiting.at least 4 of them in total, the two at my house jumped in the bck.they had been knocking at random doors before that " selling knives",they had red folders with them so look out for them.they called to houses that looked like no one was home and look very suspicious.van has a Carlow reg.one of them has short red hair and the other wearing a dark green anorak

Hi, what time of the day did this happen at? Daylight or evening time?

Advertisement