Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone know what an Irish prison is like?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

I have been in a few for college related reasons. What struck me was the hierarchical structure in place. Sex offenders were bottom of the pile and loathed by the other prisoners. There was a sense of normality also. I mean for some of them it had become their home and they carried on as best they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Read a book about it

The prison officers are sly dogs ;)

If there is someone in Dublin who is causing hassle they bundle them into a van and transfer them to Cork
    Of course being the outsider the Dub gets a hammering from his new Corkonian comrades

Works the other way too
    Officers in Cork send prisoners up to Dublin when some lessons need to be learned

The travellers in Mountjoy keep to themselves and their area is known as "the caravan".
    They don't mix with the other prisoners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

charlemont wrote: »
    I was on the D-Wing there over ten years ago and your making it sound like a great place, Fair enough the D-Wing was good but not half as good as your making it out. The education helped me a lot, Do you think prisoners shouldn't get education ? The gym was fairly crap too. Don't think any mobile phone is going to fit through the mesh nets either.

Fair play to you for having the honesty to admit that and I am glad education inside helped you turn your life around.

As someone who is claustrophobic, I dont think I could last any significant time in prison.

In the name of the father is like a horror movie to me, getting wrongfully locked up is my biggest fear in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Council dwelling scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Read a book about it

The prison officers are sly dogs ;)

If there is someone in Dublin who is causing hassle they bundle them into a van and transfer them to Cork
    Of course being the outsider the Dub gets a hammering from his new Corkonian comrades

Works the other way too
    Officers in Cork send prisoners up to Dublin when some lessons need to be learned

The travellers in Mountjoy keep to themselves and their area is known as "the caravan".
    They don't mix with the other prisoners

The only time I'v heard of people getting moved to Cork is when they deserve it. Cork is a horrid prison. The Dublin/Cork rivalry is mostly mythical and only real scumbags get involved in it.
    IrishAm wrote: »
    Fair play to you for having the honesty to admit that and I am glad education inside helped you turn your life around.

As someone who is claustrophobic, I dont think I could last any significant time in prison.

In the name of the father is like a horror movie to me, getting wrongfully locked up is my biggest fear in life.

Thank you I appreciate that, Yea I done my leaving after I came out and got 3 A's and 2 B's, I'v done Architectural draughting too and now I'm doing AutoCAD. I had my own problems in life which lead to me going inside and I have to say most prisoners have issues too, That's why they are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The only time I'v heard of people getting moved to Cork is when they deserve it. Cork is a horrid prison. The Dublin/Cork rivalry is mostly mythical and only real scumbags get involved in it.

The Dublin vs Cork rivalry is anything but mythical, brother! Probably more on the outside than the inside, but.

Thank you I appreciate that, Yea I done my leaving after I came out and got 3 A's and 2 B's, I'v done Architectural draughting too and now I'm doing AutoCAD. I had my own problems in life which lead to me going inside and I have to say most prisoners have issues too, That's why they are in there.

Fair play man, best of luck in the future.

Advertisement