Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

Wengers time will only be up when those living in the past and holding onto the mans reputation rather than the clubs, wake up and realise this is Arsenal FC, not Arsene FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

From Batman the dark knight:

You die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Here is an article from the Telegraph that any Arsenal fan would have no problem answering
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9089096/Arsenal-clearout-Who-should-Arsene-Wenger-sell-this-summer.html

I think Wenger will be mulling over the same question for the summer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Here is an article from the Telegraph that any Arsenal fan would have no problem answering
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9089096/Arsenal-clearout-Who-should-Arsene-Wenger-sell-this-summer.html

I think Wenger will be mulling over the same question for the summer too.

Hey that vote thing is ar**ways.
    It doesn't include the guys out on loan like denilson and Bendtner who AFAIK are still officially on the books.

I think it would be easier to ask who should stay. :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

AST meeting tonight should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Whose next... Tottenham, Pool and Milan.

Crap :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Next 2 games will makes or break us even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I got Spurs -1 @ 5/1 and -2 @ 14/1.

Lashed a fiver on each. Couldn't believe how big the odds were.

Although it's exactly the kind of game we'll eke out a 2-1 win and Arsene will think it vindicates him form al the criticism he's been receiving lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Galvasean wrote: »
    Whose next... Tottenham, Pool and Milan.

Crap :/

I think these are exactly the matches that we want, beats playing the likes of Wigan, Wolves or Bolton where a win would only paper over the cracks and give a false dawn of hope. Wins against Spurs and Liverpool will begin to heal some of the wounds opened over the last week/season. The players should be really fired up for Spurs at home or else there really will be trouble. The next two fixtures will obviously make or break our chances for fourth place. The players owe the fans results and performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Wengers time will only be up when those living in the past and holding onto the mans reputation rather than the clubs, wake up and realise this is Arsenal FC, not Arsene FC.

Couldnt agree more with your comments.You hit the nail on the head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,058 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Frisbee wrote: »
    I got Spurs -1 @ 5/1 and -2 @ 14/1.

Lashed a fiver on each. Couldn't believe how big the odds were.

Although it's exactly the kind of game we'll eke out a 2-1 win and Arsene will think it vindicates him form al the criticism he's been receiving lately.

Good to see the vultures are circling.

I think these are exactly the matches that we want, beats playing the likes of Wigan, Wolves or Bolton where a win would only paper over the cracks and give a false dawn of hope. Wins against Spurs and Liverpool will begin to heal some of the wounds opened over the last week/season. The players should be really fired up for Spurs at home or else there really will be trouble. The next two fixtures will obviously make or break our chances for fourth place. The players owe the fans results and performances.

Spurs may be a big deal for the fans, but for most of the players I wouldn't think so.
    IMHO the days are gone when local rivalries meant much to the players.
    After all what does it mean to Gervinho, Arshavin, Vermaelen, Kos or the rest of the foreign contingent of mercenaries ?
    To most of them it is yet another London club, one which if the money was right they would join in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Some would have you believe Arsenal FC only started in 1996.

KeithAFC wrote: »

Yeah, The Wengerites.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Good to see the vultures are circling.

The vultures are so tired circling they are walking round now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

KeithAFC wrote: »

Yeah, The Wengerites.

Arsenal existed before Wenger and will exist after him, but forgive my reluctance to let go of our greatest ever manager!

L'prof wrote: »
    Arsenal existed before Wenger and will exist after him, but forgive my reluctance to let go of our greatest ever manager!

Had George Graham got the same amount of time he would be leading hands down and we wouldn't be leaking goals either.
    Why oh why did you mess it up George ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Had George Graham got the same amount of time he would be leading hands down and we wouldn't be leaking goals either.
    Simple fact is, you can not know that. How do we know George Graham wouldnt have gone the same way Wenger is going now? You dont. Graham left at the ideal time from his point of view. Had he stayed on, he could have continued the team down same course they were on, or things could just as easily have gone south. You cant say for definite what would have happened.

Looks at Leeds for an example. Champions League semi finalists, then relegated shortly after. Things in football can change very quickly. It would be very foolish to think that what is currently happening to Wenger, couldnt have happened to Graham had he remained in charge. It could have, and could even have been worse.

L'prof wrote: »

Actually just looking at it, Graham was there from 86 to 95 and won two leagues, two league cups, one FA cup and one Cup Winners Cup.

There were league runners up once and Cup Winner Cup runners up once.

Wenger has been there from 96 to 2012.
    He has won three leagues and four FA cups.

He lost two European finals and have been league runners up 5 times.
    Have been runners up in FA Cup once and runners up in two league cups.

Wenger did everything in his first 9 years and has been living off that glory ever since.
    Would Graham have been granted that luxury ?

Looking at it Wenger's teams were nearly men too many times.
    That is way too many second places for my liking.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Simple fact is, you can not know that. How do we know George Graham wouldnt have gone the same way Wenger is going now? You dont. Graham left at the ideal time from his point of view. Had he stayed on, he could have continued the team down same course they were on, or things could just as easily have gone south. You cant say for definite what would have happened.

Looks at Leeds for an example. Champions League semi finalists, then relegated shortly after. Things in football can change very quickly. It would be very foolish to think that what is currently happening to Wenger, couldnt have happened to Graham had he remained in charge. It could have, and could even have been worse.

More to the point if Wenger had left six years ago we might be in a better position now. I think George would have kept us winning things but we won't know now. Just my belief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

More to the point if Wenger had left six years ago we might be in a better position now. I think George would have kept us winning things but we won't know now. Just my belief.

I very much doubt that to be fair. The team were becoming increasingly defensive and negative under his tenure. He didn't pull up any trees at Leeds or Spurs after he left us either.

He finished 10th in 92 - 93. Despite the cup wins would that be acceptable under Wenger ?

What I wouldn't do to hear "boring boring Arsenal" again on the back of another 1-0 win...

greendom wrote: »
    I very much doubt that to be fair. The team were becoming increasingly defensive and negative under his tenure. He didn't pull up any trees at Leeds or Spurs after he left us either.

He finished 10th in 92 - 93. Despite the cup wins would that be acceptable under Wenger ?

This season is not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Nonsense.

Wenger deserves enormous kudos for what he has done over the last 6 years.

Wenger has built and paid for a stadium, a stadium that will finance the club for years to come, when Wenger is gone, and possibly you and me too.

He did this by qualifying for the CL 6 years in a row.

How many times did Liverpool, City, Spurs, Everton and Villa qualify in that period?

And he did this on a shoestring. Arsenal is run like a business. And for that period the business had enormous debt repayments to make, which hugely impacted upon the operational expenditure possible (namely transfer fees).

Wenger unearted Cesc, Sagna, Clichy, RVP (£2.7m, yes £2.7m), Flamini for peanuts, and kept us competitive, and kept us solvent.

In the fortnight that's in it, with Rangers going to the wall, Wengers achievement is all the better.

The '6 years without a trophy' is complete blather. The Carling cup is a trophy. The FA cup is a trophy. Would I take 6 Carling cups and 6 5th place finishes?

No, I bloody well wouldn't.

Wenger now has the money to spend. I say he has earned his right to spend it and build a team in his image.

His record - that of Arsenal dining at the top table for the last 16 years, that of Arsenal missing out on the title by 4 points in 2008 with a squad inexpensively assembled, that of 3 championships, 4 FA cups, a runner up in the CL, that of 16 consecutive years in the flagship world club football competition - deserves it.

He also deserves a lot more respect from the fans, fans that are relatively spoilt by success - his success.

meriwether wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Wenger deserves enormous kudos for what he has done over the last 6 years.

Wenger has built and paid for a stadium, a stadium that will finance the club for years to come, when Wenger is gone, and possibly you and me too.

He did this by qualifying for the CL 6 years in a row.

How many times did Liverpool, City, Spurs, Everton and Villa qualify in that period?

And he did this on a shoestring. Arsenal is run like a business. And for that period the business had enormous debt repayments to make, which hugely impacted upon the operational expenditure possible (namely transfer fees).

Wenger unearted Cesc, Sagna, Clichy, RVP (£2.7m, yes £2.7m), Flamini for peanuts, and kept us competitive, and kept us solvent.

In the fortnight that's in it, with Rangers going to the wall, Wengers achievement is all the better.

The '6 years without a trophy' is complete blather. The Carling cup is a trophy. The FA cup is a trophy. Would I take 6 Carling cups and 6 5th place finishes?

No, I bloody well wouldn't.

Wenger now has the money to spend. I say he has earned his right to spend it and build a team in his image.

His record - that of Arsenal dining at the top table for the last 16 years, that of Arsenal missing out on the title by 4 points in 2008 with a squad inexpensively assembled, that of 3 championships, 4 FA cups, a runner up in the CL, that of 16 consecutive years in the flagship world club football competition - deserves it.

He also deserves a lot more respect from the fans, fans that are relatively spoilt by success - his success.

BUT he has bought some crap in the last number of years and he has bought players who have no desire, passion or fight in them at all. This is what is annoying fans. Other teams just bully our lads and know that the tactic will work and Wenger has had enough time to work on that. We can continue to blame injuries for our annual Spring collapse but there is more to it than that. Not to mention the defence which has been our Achilles Heel for years. I am not personally blaming all this on Wenger by the way as the Board has to take a lot of blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

428361_10150690087918552_623043551_11112920_72506155_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What I wouldn't do to hear "boring boring Arsenal" again on the back of another 1-0 win...

So a club of Arsenal's stature should be winning trophies more often. But it's ok for the team to have a reputation of playing football like Stoke or Bolton under Allardyce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Arsenal have in the region of £50m available "to spend or to save for a rainy day"

The AST estimates that the cost to the club of failure to qualify for the Champions League is circa £45m in annual revenues

I don't see why we couldn't have spent another 30-40 Million in the transfer market which would have all but guaranteed CL football, instead we will more than likely be left without champions league football which will wipe out our cash reserves next season. If we don't qualify, where is the money for new players going to come from? More player sales?

http://www.arsenaltrust.org/news/2012/ast-analysis-of-financial-position-of-arsenal-football-club

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

meriwether wrote: »

Liverpool are the only comparable team there. Otherwise, you can legitimately ask, how many times have Arsenal finished ahead of Man United or Chelsea?

... and Arsenal aren't run on a shoe-string. £125m in wages last fiscal year, probably going to be more in the next one (I think those numbers are coming soon).

There is a club punching well above its weight in terms of finances near the top of the premier league the last few seasons, but unfortunately it isn't Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Spurs are spending 40% less on wages than Arsenal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement