Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC has Piracy Rate of 93-95%

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

I like the way people keep claiming the way DRM does not reduced piracy, when in the very article that started this thread Ubisoft said it did see a noteable reduction of piracy thanks to there DRM. Surely if there was actually no benefit to the system from there point of view and with all the bad press it attracts they would of dropped the system by now.
    Skatedude wrote:
    i work in a big factory and i see tonnes of pirated games been swapped around the place, but they are all console so dont know where they get their facts from

From checking file sharing websites. Piracy on consoles is significant (except on PS3) and very high on hand helds but console piracy is significantly lower than PC piracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Anyone I know who had a Nintendo DS didn't have 50 games on cartridge, but did have well over 50 games.
    I am not a DS owner.
    But I've never seen anything being subject to piracy as much ever, and so easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Reekwind wrote: »
    Unless of course you consider theft to be taking something from someone else and thus depriving them of its use. If someone downloads a game then the developer has lost not one cent from this action

This fucking attitude needs to die in a fire.

If you want something, pay for it.
    Otherwise back to the kids table with you and maybe next year you can come hang out with the adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Azza wrote: »
    From checking file sharing websites. Piracy on consoles is significant (except on PS3) and very high on hand helds but console piracy is significantly lower than PC piracy.

"Except on PS3" - how is piracy not significant for PS3?
    It still happens on the PS3 (maybe not to the same level/attention of the 360).

About a year ago when I had a PS3 I noticed quite a large pirate community for it and even though Sony brought out regular updates to circumvent the "jailbreak" they were always a workaround shortly after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That's what I'd call an excuse rather than a cause ;)

Ubisoft aren't doing this for the laughs. They've clearly been very spooked by piracy and that's fair enough. Where they have massively failed is in formulating an adequate response to this. Instead of taking the Steam or indie approach (ie, making DRM functional and useful, or forging closer relations with the customers, respectively) they've slapped on draconian DRM that doesn't affect pirates and harms paying customers. Now that, unsurprisingly, seems to be failing

I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft wasn't, relatively, by far and away the most pirated PC publisher
    Well the reason I'd steer away from calling it an excuse is that I can't imagine they really wanted to do what they did. Or, to look at it more analytically, I can't imagine they wanted to invest so much money in a set of services for something that won't see a large effect on piracy, will probably reduce legitimate sales and will generate a metric ****ton of negative press.

As for taking the Steam approach, you're forgetting the fact that no other publisher is allowed have their own service, at least according to a rather vocal section of the gaming community. They just need to stfu, put it on Steam and let them take their cut of sales in the same manner retailers have been doing since the dawn of retail. :o
    I think we're spoiled by Steam and, yes, pirating. I remember a time when people would buy 3-4 games a year, tops. Now the norm is to have half a dozen unplayed games on the HD

And that often gets lost in the arguments: PC gaming has expanded massively over the past two decades and continues to do so. People are playing more games than ever before. This is despite, or arguably because of, the spectre of piracy. It's pretty silly to talk of the crippling effects of the latter when we're in the middle of a PC gaming boom
    If we were in the middle of a PC gaming boom then the "greedy" publishers who folk often talk about would be all over it. The problem is, they're not. What we are experiencing is the same thing that's happened at the tail end of the last few console generations. Console development begins to focus on the next gen so the number of new IPs/releases is reduced, PC gaming continues going at the same pace and with the hardware advancing as it always does, people go "hey, look PCs are awesome again" when it actual fact they've always been awesome.

What makes the next generation so interesting however is that we're beginning to see a convergence of these platforms so hopefully a year or two after their release we won't be subjected to the usual "PC gaming is dying" nonsense.
    So yeah, people are playing more games than ever before. There's no grounds for talking of 95% piracy rates as if sales would double if not for 'the pirates'
    According to most devs, sales would double if only a fraction of the pirates bought the game. Football Manager, as I linked above, would have doubled their worldwide sales if 25% of pirates had bought the game. That to me, isn't an unrealistic number with some reasonable DRM i.e. Steam availability with a one time activation. But even the latter point was too much for people it seems.
    (Which is not to say that some people don't pirate big releases that they would have bought otherwise. I'm sure that happens to a degree. But generally I've seen that if people like a franchise or a developer then they're happy to support it financially)
    Unfortunately from what I've seen this hasn't proven to be the case. The most pirated games are always the most popular series and then you have the likes of The Witcher figures above which really grind my gears given CD Projeckt's stance on the whole DRM issue and their efforts to avoid it using gamer friendly methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

PS3 and Xbox 360 piracy is fairly rampant, moreso the 360 anyways because of the length of time they've had to create workarounds to the system. New games always appear a few days before their official release on the consoles and many people don't care about playing on Xbox Live or PSN so they don't worry about the updates to the system.

PC piracy is so high because it's ridiculously easy to download a game along with it's crack / workaround since there's well known scene groups that people keep to for a reliable pirated game.

I used to pirate a fair bit back in the day but the services of Steam and Gog quickly changed my tune.

A good way to combat piracy on PC is games that release frequent updates. Take Left 4 Dead 2, for example, which was updated almost every Friday. People with pirated copies had to go searching through Russian forums to find an update, apply it manually, update your crack emulator files, change .ini files, hope it didn't screw the whole game up which many updates did, and then play away for a few days before another update came.

This got tedious for a lot of people and the numbers of pirated people dropped hugely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

93-95% of the games out there are pirated copies seems a bit much to me. it could be true, but i wouldnt believe it till i see some hard facts.

developers may not lose any money from pirating, but then again they are not recieving anything for their work. youre expecting them to work for free. its no wonder that they go for drm, pay per play etc etc.. I definatly dont blame developers any more.

if its not theft when you take someones work for free when theyre asking for you to pay them for it, what is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Polar101

folan wrote: »
    93-95% of the games out there are pirated copies seems a bit much to me. it could be true, but i wouldnt believe it till i see some hard facts.

It's probably true, there's always some lame excuse pirates use when they want a free PC game.

Steam is good, but for some people "digital games are too expensive" is just another excuse for piracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

if its not theft when you take someones work for free when theyre asking for you to pay them for it, what is it?

If you call a plumber or locksmith or some other tradesman for a job, they do it and you don't pay, what's that called? If you are brought to court and made to pay, what are you guilty of? Fraud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I would be of the mindset that you just dont support companies that have stupid drm.
    I buy games from steam mostly having 106 games on one account, 56 on another, approx 30 on another and 5-10 on my last (play system link/co op alot) as steams drm is user friendly.
    I would never pay for games even though I really want them if they have customer unfriendly drm such are diablo 3 or other always on **** or install limits.
    I would never download pirate copies of these games and would just skip them as there are hundreds of other quality titles with that type of drm.
    I wont be buying battlefield 4 either if it still has the browser feature as its very easy for them to turn off online play when they want to force you to buy another game instead.

If you call a plumber or locksmith or some other tradesman for a job, they do it and you don't pay, what's that called? If you are brought to court and made to pay, what are you guilty of? Fraud?
    thats where this "piracy is not theft because you dont lose anything physical" (made up quote but reflects some comments made around this in here) just falls down. its wrong, plane and simple.

another dreadful comment i read once was that its not theft because, when you steal a toaster, the toaster is gone, but software isnt. But to make that a more physical example, whats actually happening is someone has invented the toaster and is trying to sell it to make a living and a profit for themselves, and you are copying the design and giving it out for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The pirates don't need incentives to pirates game. They will do in droves with or without DRM.

No doubt there, but it's often just less hassle to use a pirated Ubisoft game...so even paying customers could & do find themselves pondering whether to use a cracked version or not.

Silent Hunter 5 was a farce with its 'always on' server authentication even for offline play. Often if the net was down or even the server itself, I couldn't play the game I purchased. Lets just say I found other ways to play it, despite having a retail disc sitting in my pc drive. Who's to say a chunk of that percentage didn't do the same thing, racking up the statistics?

So no, I don't believe the numbers are that high in spite of the DRM, the DRM has had an influence on the numbers of you ask me

Its possible you are right but Ubi are claiming otherwise.

I don't agree with always online DRM, and have avoiding buying games with that DRM system unless the system has been removed (which is common afgter a few months) or the game is been sold extremely cheaply.

Its possible you are right but Ubi are claiming otherwise.

I'm sure they are, but I can only speak from my own personal experience.
    I don't agree with always online DRM, and have avoiding buying games with that DRM system unless the system has been removed (which is common afgter a few months) or the game is been sold extremely cheaply.

Agreed too, the notion of it even bothers me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Unless of course you consider theft to be taking something from someone else and thus depriving them of its use. If someone downloads a game then the developer has lost not one cent from this action

That is a very childish viewpoint.

This fucking attitude needs to die in a fire.

If you want something, pay for it.
    Otherwise back to the kids table with you and maybe next year you can come hang out with the adults.

Yup.

I don't play on the PC but I have downloaded TV shows, movies etc in the past so I can't claim innocence but at least I am not delusional about it.

• Advertisement

thats where this "piracy is not theft because you dont lose anything physical" (made up quote but reflects some comments made around this in here) just falls down. its wrong, plane and simple.

another dreadful comment i read once was that its not theft because, when you steal a toaster, the toaster is gone, but software isnt. But to make that a more physical example, whats actually happening is someone has invented the toaster and is trying to sell it to make a living and a profit for themselves, and you are copying the design and giving it out for free.

Like the below ?

If you steal car then the owner has no car. If you steal some Nikes then the shop is missing one pair of Nikes. If you pirate a game... well, nothing changes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

4comic2-555.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Just like the term troll being bandied about by people when they disagree, the "strawman" label has become ridiculous itself....almost a parody of itself.

Use analogies or metaphor's in a discussion on the internet? You are creating a strawman argument! :p It's ridiculous.

On the subject of piracy itself, it's been discussed to death at this stage so I can't see the use in yet another thread debating it. Lets just try and stick to the original Ubisoft post if we can.

While PC Piracy is no doubt rampant, personally I find the 95% statistic completely ridiculous and would love to know exactly how they came to these figures. I mean there really is no way to know that kind of information. They can't monitor the whole internet. Everything is just guesswork and extrapolation. Pure conjecture. And I don't believe in that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kirby wrote: »
    Just like the term troll being bandied about by people when they disagree, the "strawman" label has become ridiculous itself....almost a parody of itself.

Use analogies or metaphor's in a discussion on the internet? You are creating a strawman argument! :p It's ridiculous.

The problem is constantly bringing the conversation back to what constitutes / defines 'theft' is tiring, and distorting the argument (which, you're completely right, has been done to death).

Also, dinosaur comics are funny.

Kirby wrote: »
    On the subject of piracy itself, it's been discussed to death at this stage so I can't see the use in yet another thread debating it. Lets just try and stick to the original Ubisoft post if we can.

While PC Piracy is no doubt rampant, personally I find the 95% statistic completely ridiculous and would love to know exactly how they came to these figures. I mean there really is no way to know that kind of information. They can't monitor the whole internet. Everything is just guesswork and extrapolation. Pure conjecture. And I don't believe in that.
    Given the kind of games they make, I'd wager it's quite simple.

Take the number of games sold.
    Look at a variety of public torrent trackers out there and add up the seeders.
    Calculate piracy figures based on these.

Doing it like that, it's pretty easy to see where they can get figures like that. Take Crysis 2 for instance, it was downloaded 3.92m times on the PC alone by the end of 2011 according to the Torrentfreak stats. However, within 4 months of release it had just broken 3m copies sold worldwide across all platforms. Doesn't make for particularly pretty reading so it's not particularly surprising when you see Crytek talking about moving in the F2P direction for future titles.

• Advertisement

I actually dont understand the statement

Does he mean to say that
    -Every PC user pirates 95% of their games ?
    -95% "have" pirated at one time or another ?

A quick sample test could be easily taken here, and totally disprove the figure.
    I would imagine everyone here has pirated at least 1 game in their lives.
    But I doubt anyone here has a library that consists of more than 50% pirated games even.

It is fairly easy to compare data on downloads vs sales.

For example, compare VGChartz to torrent charts (public, excluding that fact there's likely to be more on private sites). Call of Duty MW3 PC sales are 1.47 million. Tracked torrents are 3.65 million. That's not 93-95%, but it is a hugely significant 70%. The Xbox figures for the same title are 14.39 million (bought) vs 830,000 (downloaded). Don't want to turn this into a console vs PC argument (the only thing more infuriating than piracy debates :p), but you can easily see why publishers are uncertain and critical of the PC market. And these aren't all titles with restrictive DRM - always a bit disappointed when I hear the World of Goo figures when 2D Boy went to so much effort to be as user friendly as reasonably possible (short of including instructions of how to upload and seed on P2P networks).

Ubisoft may be using a bit of creative hyperbole, but it - if we're using figures easily available - isn't a huge exaggeration by any stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It is fairly easy to compare data on downloads vs sales.

For example, compare VGChartz to torrent charts (public, excluding that fact there's likely to be more on private sites). Call of Duty MW3 PC sales are 1.47 million. Tracked torrents are 3.65 million. That's not 93-95%, but it is a hugely significant 70%. The Xbox figures for the same title are 14.39 million (bought) vs 830,000 (downloaded). Don't want to turn this into a console vs PC argument (the only thing more infuriating than piracy debates :p), but you can easily see why publishers are uncertain and critical of the PC market. And these aren't all titles with restrictive DRM - always a bit disappointed when I hear the World of Goo figures when 2D Boy went to so much effort to be as user friendly as reasonably possible (short of including instructions of how to upload and seed on P2P networks).

Ubisoft may be using a bit of creative hyperbole, but it - if we're using figures easily available - isn't a huge exaggeration by any stretch.

COD would not be a good game to compare Ubisoft's figures to, as most COD players are into the multiplayer more so than the single player which many of Ubisoft's games are more focused on.

More developers are adding multiplayer to their games and it's not hard to think why, yes they prevent people trading games in early on but it also is something that the pirated copy can't do ( properly).

If DRM wasn't in some way effective in reducing piracy or was actually counter productive and increased piracy, surely Ubisoft and other companies would not use it. Developers/publishers are often accussed of using DRM because they are greedy so surely they would not use DRM if it increased piracy..

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Like the below ?

exactly. nothing changes, except you have now aquired something that has cost a developer time and effort, which they were expecting to be reimbursed for. how many pirates would be happy working for free?

If DRM wasn't in some way effective in reducing piracy or was actually counter productive and increased piracy, surely Ubisoft and other companies would not use it. Developers/publishers are often accussed of using DRM because they are greedy so surely they would not use DRM if it increased piracy..

All DRM is in this instance, is tried & failed over the top security tactics. They remain in place for the legitimate user, but are very quickly dispensed with by crackers. By the time a certain method is cracked, Ubisoft will have already invested in it & used it.

No DRM to my knowledge, the field of pc game piracy, is actually effective {certainly for offline use anyway}. One might be released tomorrow that'll work for a time, but it'll be cracked before long. Certain people just like a challenge, & often have no interest in playing said game...the challenge of defeating a new DRM scheme is the fun itself

Yes and no. In the case of Ubisoft, they've actually built an infrastructure to support their DRM which would be far from cheap. They have said since then that they've noticed a drop in piracy figures but since they haven't released actual before and after figures of either these figures or their sales for the PC versions (to the best of my knowledge) it's hard to know if they're being entirely truthful.

However, DRM can also be seen as a way to placate investors so, as with what happened in the case of Bioshock, if they can prevent the game being released in the two weeks after release, they'll see it as a victory.

Its true that the vast majortiy of DRM is cracked within in a short peroid of time (I think the exception was starforce which took a year or so). I don't think publisher ever said they expect to totally stop piracy with DRM but just reduce it. Even a small percentage conversion of pirates to legit costumers could see a signifcant increase inprofits.

Say a game is pirated 1 million times, getting just 1% of the pirates to buy the game would an addtionally 10,000 copeies sold. Say at at average cost of19.99, that would be a additional 200,000 euro revenue.

Of course say DRM does stop someone from pirating it a game, it doesn't mean they will then buy it. They may just skip it altogether. But PC piracy is so huge even a small conversion of pirates could be worth quite a bit of money to developers and publishers leaving on the breadline.

Its true that the vast majortiy of DRM is cracked within in a short peroid of time (I think the exception was starforce which took a year or so). I don't think publisher ever said they expect to totally stop piracy with DRM but just reduce it. Even a small percentage conversion of pirates to legit costumers could see a signifcant increase inprofits.

Say a game is pirated 1 million times, getting just 1% of the pirates to buy the game would an addtionally 10,000 copeies sold. Say at at average cost of19.99, that would be a additional 200,000 euro revenue.

Of course say DRM does stop someone from pirating it a game, it doesn't mean they will then buy it. They may just skip it altogether. But PC piracy is so huge even a small conversion of pirates could be worth quite a bit of money to developers and publishers leaving on the breadline.

I'd argue as to whether it has any effectivenss at all still. If someone downloads & installs a pirated game, going the final step & using a crack is every bit as easy as it always was. Lets not be under any illusions here, it's incredibly easy to do & if you have the know-how to install a game, using the crack will not be any more challenging.

As Gizmo mentioned, it prob has more to do with investors etc than actually having any real world effect

True but if a DRM system can delay the ability to pirate a game before release and for a few days to possible a week or two weeks after its release is probably achieved whats expected of it.

Zero day piracy is often claimed to be the most damaging form of piracy (piracy before release, or be released in one territory first and then cracked and available for piracy world wide).

One of the common reasons people say they pirate games is because they couldn't get it legally as it wasn't released in there area and they didn't want to wait for the offical release date.

So DRM thats effective in stopping or delaying that type of piracy when a game is released (the time when a game would sell the most) are possibly all a developer/publisher at this stage expects .

• Advertisement

True but if a DRM system can delay the ability to pirate a game before release and for a few days to possible a week or two weeks after its release is probably achieved whats expected of it.

Zero day piracy is often claimed to be the most damaging form of piracy (piracy before release, or be released in one territory first and then cracked and available for piracy world wide).

One of the common reasons people say they pirate games is because they couldn't get it legally as it wasn't released in there area and they didn't want to wait for the offical release date.

So DRM thats effective in stopping or delaying that type of piracy when a game is released (the time when a game would sell the most) are possibly all a developer/publisher at this stage expects .

Very true, if anything it delays the inevitable rather than stopping it.

A delay could possibly result in a conversion to sale .

A delay could possibly result in a conversion to sale .

The delays are nowhere near the effective, & if they are, the conversion rate wouldn't justify the DRM investment costs as the rate would be tiny.

How can you know that, unless you have actual figures to back that claim up its pure speculation.

We don't know much a DRM system costs to implement. Most are developed by a third party, a system a publisher would simply hire out and not actually have to develop.

We don't know how effective it is. But it seems highly unlikely a games publisher would use it if it didn't in the end make them money. These systems have been in place for years so there bound to have data on it. If wasn't in some way effective, they wouldn't use it.

How can you know that, unless you have actual figures to back that claim up its pure speculation.

I'd say its fairly safe to speculate that the costs/investment in pc game DRM outweighs any potential conversion earnings that such a scheme may earn. Companies are turning to FTP, doesn't that tell you anything?
    We don't know much a DRM system costs to implement. Most are developed by a third party, a system a publisher would simply hire out and not actually have to develop.

Whatever development costs there are, they're passed on to whoever uses the system. These things arn't made for fun, they're an investment. Again, I'd say its very safe to speculate that whatever costs are involved in implementing a DRM scheme, the savings made by them do not pay dividends. How could they if the piracy rate is so high?
    We don't know how effective it is. But it seems highly unlikely a games publisher would use it if it didn't in the end make them money. These systems have been in place for years so there bound to have data on it. If wasn't in some way effective, they wouldn't use it.

Don't underestimate the power of sh1te talk at board meetings. Protection makes investors happy, if it works or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Oh Ubisoft, you make me laugh so. I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth to download one of your titles.

EnterNow wrote:
    I'd say its fairly safe to speculate that the costs/investment in pc game DRM outweighs any potential conversion earnings that such a scheme may earn. Companies are turning to FTP, doesn't that tell you anything?

Free to play has generally has lower development costs than full retail games. Thats one reason its becoming popular.
    Enternow wrote:
    Whatever development costs there are, they're passed on to whoever uses the system. These things arn't made for fun, they're an investment. Again, I'd say its very safe to speculate that whatever costs are involved in implementing a DRM scheme, the savings made by them do not pay dividends. How could they if the piracy rate is so high?

Yes they are passed on to whoever uses the system. But thats going to be multipal companies, its not one single game developer or publisher incurring the cost nor is it going to be just game developers, publisher using it but other companies in the software market. Its going be alot less to license the system than to develop it.
    EnterNow wrote:
    Don't underestimate the power of sh1te talk at board meetings. Protection makes investors happy, if it works or not.

Don't underestimate the power of the bottom line when it comes to board meetings. Money makes investors happy above all else.

DRM is not effective, there is currently not a single pc game that couldn't be pirated/downloaded today & played free.

DRM may be somewhat effective in delaying piracy, but these delays are usually measured in hours/weeks/days.

Personally, its a waste of time that is a nuisance to legitimate gamers. It's rarely, if ever, a nuisance to people who pirate games.

All facts. If DRM earns money for companies who use it, I don't see how it could possibly be more than what it costs to implement in the first place unless its ridiculously cheap

EnterNow wrote:
    DRM is not effective, there is currently not a single pc game that couldn't be pirated/downloaded today & played free.

Diablo 3.
    EnterNow wrote:
    DRM may be somewhat effective in delaying piracy, but these delays are usually measured in hours/weeks/days.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was uncracked for 424 days.
    Enter Now wrote:
    Personally, its a waste of time that is a nuisance to legitimate gamers. It's rarely, if ever, a nuisance to people who pirate games.

All facts. If DRM earns money for companies who use it, I don't see where.

There not all facts, they are your opinion. You don't know how companies measure the effectiveness of DRM. They could consider a delay of cracking of one of their games by a week a success. Yes games will still be cracked and its just a matter of time and then pirating will be easy for everyone else once thats done. But in those first few days after release a pirate may say "to hell with waiting I'm just going buy the game" if he/she can't pirate it due to the game being unplayable due to DRM. Piracy rates on PC are so high that just a small % of convertin pirates to buyers could mean a significant increase in revenue.

• Advertisement

Diablo 3.

I found a crack that includes a sever emulator by searching just there :confused:
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was uncracked for 424 days.

I said usually
    There not all facts, they are your opinion.

Oh I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, but again is there a single case of DRM stopping piracy. And again, releases are usually cracked very very quickly. It's kinda more than just my opinion, the statistics are out there.
    But in those first few days after release a pirate may say "to hell with waiting I'm just going buy the game" if he/she can't pirate it due to the game being unplayable due to DRM. Piracy rates on PC are so high that just a small % of convertin pirates to buyers could mean a significant increase in revenue.

I already agreed with that, I just don't think it happens that often. Not often enough to warrant the existence of DRM & the headaches it causes for legitimate gamers

I wasn't aware Diablo 3 was cracked, I was under the impression it was uncrackable because alot of the data needed to play it was kept server side. How long did it take to get the crack out?

Not arguing that DRM has ever totally stopped piracy and I don't see the game publisher/developers arguing that either, but that isn't the point I was making. Just because it does not totally stop piracy does not mean its a failure. A small reduction in piracy or a small conversion of pirates to purchasers could be considered a success. It doesn't make sense that a developer would continue using systems that cost them money.

I wasn't aware Diablo 3 was cracked, I was under the impression it was uncrackable because alot of the data needed to play it was kept server side. How long did it take to get the crack out?
    Last time I looked the crack was still in its early stages and the emulator only offered partial functionality in-game. The initial version was out a couple of weeks after launch I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

When I look back over Ubisoft's last published releases I can see why they claim piracy has been such a major problem for them.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    Rayman Origins
    Adventures of Tintin the game
    Anno 2070
    Assasins Creed: Revelations
    NCIS: The Tv Series Game
    Might and Magic Heroes VI
    Driver San Francisco
    Call of Juarez The Cartel
    Trackmania Canyon
    From Dust
    IL-2 - Cliffs of Dover.
    • Ultra-intrusive DRM which effects legitimate buyers over those who pirate the game (From Dust).
    • Poorly coded, poorly tested games which require extensive patching and day-1 patches. (IL2 Cliffs of Dover for example)
    • Substandard Movie/TV cash-in games (Tintin/NCIS)
    • Console Franchise Extensions which do nothing but reskin or reboot previous franchises but bring nothing dramatically new to the table (whilst omitting vital tools for PC such as dedicated servers/modtools) - Assassins' Creed/Ghost Recon)
    • None of these games feature a "must-play" multiplayer experience (some try but on PC, simply never get there)
    Reading a thread on any of the above on the first day of release would turn most PC gamers off purchasing the game. We are generally more well informed then the average xbox/ps3/wii buyer.

It doesn't take advanced thinking to realise PC gamers have very different buying behaviors - they are much less likely to walk into gamestop and drop €60 on a game without knowing more about it - Because we find out the truth about the games before we buy them, we avoid them or at most procure pirate copies of the game - not condoning it, just saying its easy and appears victimless on the outset.

IMO Ubisoft have made it their business to exploit the ill-informed buyer with hasty game design churning out passable games - The products they are associated with on PC have almost never represented the highest of quality to me and to me their attempt to claim piracy has made there business suffer may seem like a nice diversion, but it simply draws attention to the fact that as a publishing house they simply aren't involved in any games that the majority of PC gamers feel are worth buying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not arguing that DRM has ever totally stopped piracy and I don't see the game publisher/developers arguing that either, but that isn't the point I was making. Just because it does not totally stop piracy does not mean its a failure. A small reduction in piracy or a small conversion of pirates to purchasers could be considered a success. It doesn't make sense that a developer would continue using systems that cost them money.

Normally you would think so but in Ubisoftland though a small reduction in piracy is hailed as a 'clear success' even when the is a corresponding large drop in PC sales.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/07/opinion-ubisoft-piracy-and-the-death-of-reason/

And since they are still claiming a 93-95% piracy rate one wonders what their defination of a 'clear success' was in the first place? Since they have been furiously patching the most draconian version of their always on DRM out of games like Ass Creed, Dust and Driver over the past year or so it would suggest that it wasn't such a clear success after all.

The article which PC gamer was based on was wrong, Eurogamer clarifed Patchers comments on Ubisoft, he actually said that he heard from Ubisoft that they where suffering piracy rates as high as 90% not that there sales had dropped 90%.

Capcom are also claiming a 90% piracy rate.Christian Svensson of Capcom where also of the opnion that DRM can make a meangingful difference to a projects profitability.

Sega where claiming a higher than 80% piracy rate on the the football manager series.

• Advertisement

Hercule wrote: »
    • Ultra-intrusive DRM which effects legitimate buyers over those who pirate the game (From Dust).
    • Poorly coded, poorly tested games which require extensive patching and day-1 patches. (IL2 Cliffs of Dover for example)
    • Console Franchise Extensions which do nothing but reskin or reboot previous franchises but bring nothing dramatically new to the table (whilst omitting vital tools for PC such as dedicated servers/modtools) - Assassins' Creed/Ghost Recon)
    • None of these games feature a "must-play" multiplayer experience (some try but on PC, simply never get there)
    • Needing to be online when you launch the game isn't intrusive. It's a pain for people who may game on the go, but it's far from intrusive. That being said, the manner in which they handled this DRM was completely inexcusable.
    • This wasn't an Ubisoft title, at least in the context you're describing. It was developed by 1C with Ubisoft acting as the publisher outside of Russia.
    • Tintin wasn't substandard, it was alright actually. I highly doubt many folk bothered to pirate NCIS.
    • So you don't like the AC franchise, great. Millions of people do though and while Revelations wasn't as critically acclaimed as the previous titles, it was still pretty great. Dedicated servers and mod tools are not "vital tools for PC", they're added niceties in some cases, with the former being a major issue when it comes to avoiding pirated copies playing online.
    • Not every game needs a multiplayer experience. In fact, most games suffer when it's shoehorned in.

As for the rest, any subset of the gaming community which believes piracy to be either victimless or justifiable due to the quality of a certain product is in no position to talk down to anyone, whether it's a publisher or another subset of gamers.

Hercule wrote: »
    When I look back over Ubisoft's last published releases I can see why they claim piracy has been such a major problem for them.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    Rayman Origins
    Adventures of Tintin the game
    Anno 2070
    Assasins Creed: Revelations
    NCIS: The Tv Series Game
    Might and Magic Heroes VI
    Driver San Francisco
    Call of Juarez The Cartel
    Trackmania Canyon
    From Dust
    IL-2 - Cliffs of Dover.
    Reading a thread on any of the above on the first day of release would turn most PC gamers off purchasing the game. We are generally more well informed then the average xbox/ps3/wii buyer.

It doesn't take advanced thinking to realise PC gamers have very different buying behaviors - they are much less likely to walk into gamestop and drop €60 on a game without knowing more about it - Because we find out the truth about the games before we buy them, we avoid them or at most procure pirate copies of the game - not condoning it, just saying its easy and appears victimless on the outset.

IMO Ubisoft have made it their business to exploit the ill-informed buyer with hasty game design churning out passable games - The products they are associated with on PC have almost never represented the highest of quality to me and to me their attempt to claim piracy has made there business suffer may seem like a nice diversion, but it simply draws attention to the fact that as a publishing house they simply aren't involved in any games that the majority of PC gamers feel are worth buying.

Again with the superiority complexes :(

Of course Ubisoft aren't above some cash-ins or lazy titles: they're a big games company that needs to profit as the basic laws of capitalism and economics dictate. And while they make several awful games (which we can simply not buy - I fully endorse this method) they make a tonne of inventive, thoroughly enjoyable ones: Driver San Fran, Rayman Origins, From Dust, Trackmania from your list alone. Not to mention forthcoming titles such as Watch Dogs or Beyond Good & Evil 2, or recent ones like the genuinely transcendent Child of Eden (a better game than almost all released in 2011, hands down). I don't think anyone could possibly call Assassins Creed 2 Part 3 anything other than a cash-in, but then they look to be making one of the most ambitious, unusual sequels with the proper third game. If their annual updates helped fund that extremely promising experiment, well more power to them frankly.

A company has every single right to protect their investment, and gaming is a challenging, competitive industry. Yes, Ubisoft have made bad games and user-unfriendly mistakes and regrettable decisions. But when you're up against ludicrous levels of piracy, a demanding / ignorant consumerbase, and a market that is far, far less profitable than its console counterparts, it's actually quite understandable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The article which PC gamer was based on was wrong, Eurogamer clarifed Patchers comments on Ubisoft, he actually said that he heard from Ubisoft that they where suffering piracy rates as high as 90% not that there sales had dropped 90%.

Capcom are also claiming a 90% piracy rate.Christian Svensson of Capcom where also of the opnion that DRM can make a meangingful difference to a projects profitability.

Sega where claiming a higher than 80% piracy rate on the the football manager series.

Fair enough I stand corrected I would still be fairly sceptical that any boost in sales due to the draconian DRM (and there is no doubt that it worked as pirated version for Assassins Creed took a a long time to appear), were more than outweighed by sales lost over the negative publicity it generated.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Fair enough I stand corrected I would still be fairly sceptical that any boost in sales due to the draconian DRM (and there is no doubt that it worked as pirated version for Assassins Creed took a a long time to appear), were more than outweighed by sales lost over the negative publicity it generated.
    There was plenty of "negative publicity" over the inclusion of IWNet in Modern Warfare 2 a couple of years ago and we all saw how that affected sales, even when it came to the most "vocal" of protesters. :)

Again with the superiority complexes :(

Don't think it was meant that way in fairness, I think PC gamers would tend to shy away from the forgettable franchise games that will never be played again because they are stuck with it for good, and won't have the option to stroll down to HMV and trade it when they get bored of it after a few hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement