Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC has Piracy Rate of 93-95%

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have grown to hate the statement 'a pirated copy is not a lost sale'. There's a small amount of truth in it, but it's such a ludicrous oversimplification of the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

That said, until someone comes up with a 100% unbeatable way to stop piracy, or stop people playing pirated games (probably impossible), then I would still say the best option isn't to inconvenience paying customers.

The problem being that conventional internet wisdom (an oxymoron, I know) has decided that "no DRM" is the only possible solution. Based, presumably, on the long and successful history of doing nothing about a problem causing it to simply go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I have grown to hate the statement 'a pirated copy is not a lost sale'. There's a small amount of truth in it, but it's such a ludicrous oversimplification of the issue.
    Which is fine given that it's usually proffered in response to that other ludicrous oversimplification: pirating games is theft
    gizmo wrote:
    I'd wager that their horrific DRM is a result of these figures and not the cause
    Why must it me mono-causal?

Either way, their DRM has clearly not deterred pirates while managing to piss off a significant number of customers. It's hard to argue that Ubisoft's DRM has increased the number of people willing to pirate their games. Now they're running from what remains a profitable market because they're terrified of the pirates that they've, at the very least, encouraged. Madness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If there was no DRM, you can rest assured people would find another 'excuse' or 'justification' to pirate. Heck, didn't stop the rampant piracy in the good old days of floppy discs and cassettes.

Some possible excuses. Everybody: feel free to use them free of charge!

'The singleplayer is only twenty hours long!'
    'There's no multiplayer!'
    'The multiplayer is unnecessary!'
    'It's not very good, but I had to play it anyway'
    'It's just so easy to pirate'
    'They put a new feature into this sequel [note: said sequel is to a game that is likely hopelessly outdated]! Insta-fail!'
    'I have anti-capitalist ideals. Paying money for games makes you part of the system, man'
    'EA / Ubisoft / Valve / 2D Boy are evil and/or racially insensitive!'
    'I didn't like a tweet one of the designers made'
    '**** you, that's why'

Reekwind wrote: »
    Which is fine given that it's usually proffered in response to that other ludicrous oversimplification: pirating games is theft

I don't know what term I'd use for being able to fully enjoy a product that is not free without having to pay a penny towards it, but theft is pretty good contender.

Only contender, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If there was no DRM, you can rest assured people would find another 'excuse' or 'justification' to pirate. Heck, didn't stop the rampant piracy in the good old days of floppy discs and cassettes.

Some possible excuses. Everybody: feel free to use them!

'The singleplayer is only twenty hours long!'
    'There's no multiplayer!'
    'The multiplayer is unnecessary!'
    'It's not very good, but I had to play it anyway'
    'It's just so easy to pirate'
    'I have anti-capitalist ideals. Paying money for games makes you part of the system, man'
    'EA / Ubisoft / Valve / 2D Boy are evil and/or racially insensitive!'
    'I didn't like a tweet one of the designers made'
    '**** you, that's why'

"I was trying it before I bought it, I just haven't got around to buying it yet"
    "I can't afford it so I've no choice but to pirate it"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

My Steam account is worth a lot of money.
    I never pirate.

But when I purchase a Ubisoft game on steam, and I then get taken to their site and have to register etc etc, They drive me mental.
    So the piracy rate is probably in relation to their games and overcoming stupid DRM

I'd like to see the statistics for Half Life : EP2 , or WoW, Starcraft 2, or any of the leading games.

I try to ONLY buy my games through Steam if possible.
    I'd also wait for 6 months for a SALE rather than buy an overpriced game on release.

Far Cry 3 is probably the only game they have I would like to buy.

dloob wrote: »
    "I can't afford it so I've no choice but to pirate it"

No choice? Interesting choice of words. You could wait 'til it's cheaper? Wait until you have the necessary funds? Or you could play something else you could afford? I'm pretty broke at the moment, but options one and two have served me pretty well thus far in supporting the games and developers I am particularly fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

SeantheMan wrote: »
    But when I purchase a Ubisoft game on steam, and I then get taken to their site and have to register etc etc, They drive me mental.
    So the piracy rate is probably in relation to their games and overcoming stupid DRM

Funnily enough the last time I purchased a Ubisoft game this was exactly what I ended up doing so frustrated was I that I couldn't play the game that I had paid for.

I quite like the look of Anno 2070 but have now resigned myself to not supporting Ubisoft and their horrible business practices. Thankfully they seem to be making this easier for me by screwing over the few remaining franchises of theirs I have an interest in, see the latest installment in the Splinter Cell series for a prime example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

Same. I bought the Assassins Creed collection on Steam but instead of downloading them through Steam I torrented pirate copies so I wouldn't have to go through the rigmarole of trying to play them legally.

• Advertisement

I don't know what term I'd use for being able to fully enjoy a product that is not free without having to pay a penny towards it, but theft is pretty good contender.

Only contender, really.
    Unless of course you consider theft to be taking something from someone else and thus depriving them of its use. If someone downloads a game then the developer has lost not one cent from this action
    If there was no DRM, you can rest assured people would find another 'excuse' or 'justification' to pirate. Heck, didn't stop the rampant piracy in the good old days of floppy discs and cassettes
    The counter-example would be the music industry where the establishment of legal downloading is generally accepted to have significantly cut pirating. Steam is having the same effect on the games industry

What's important to note here is that people will generally switch to legal channels if they are easier to use. (To simplify; you also have pricing models, DRM, etc to be factored in.) The idea that they'll all just come up with another excuse is baseless

Of course some people still pirate, music or otherwise, and some people always will. That's inevitable when you're dealing with a digital product. But, as music shows, they're hardly the majority. Running from them, as Ubisoft are doing, is stupid

I'm playing Driver San Francisco (Steam version) at the moment and I certainly don't consider the DRM to be particularly intrusive. Took me a minute or two to set up an account, and other than that all I need to do is press the play button that pops up in the standalone client. Sure, it would be nice if it had full Steam integration, no doubt, and some of the early 'drafts' of the DRM were much worse (not to mention the unfortunate but swiftly patched security problem). But I wouldn't consider it too much rigmarole at all. Not defending it, but wouldn't consider it anything worth getting worked up about in this particular instance.

Thankfully they seem to be making this easier for me by screwing over the few remaining franchises of theirs I have an interest in, see the latest installment in the Splinter Cell series for a prime example.

Crap, I only remembered I recently bought Conviction for the PC, and forgot it was Ubisoft and I'll have to go through all this :(

Window Live is another one, trying to play Batman etc
    No choice? Interesting choice of words. You could wait 'til it's cheaper? Wait until you have the necessary funds? Or you could play something else you could afford? I'm pretty broke at the moment, but options one and two have served me pretty well thus far in supporting the games and developers I am particularly fond of.

I can't afford a car, so I just steal one.
    I can't afford those new Nike boots in the shop, so I steal them.
    This is basically the argument people are making, but because it's "Digital" and the chances of getting caught or convicted are basically zero - it suddenly is OK for people to do so.

The MAIN reason I don't pirate, is not because moral or eithical reasons.
    If I buy a game, it's on knowledge and expectations I already have, and I want to "support" the developers so they can carry on creating such games.
    And in Digital format such as the PC, a huge percent of this goes straight to them, as it cuts out B&M stores and Distributors really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm playing Driver San Francisco (Steam version) at the moment and I certainly don't consider the DRM to be particularly intrusive. Took me a minute or two to set up an account, and other than that all I need to do is press the play button that pops up in the standalone client. Sure, it would be nice if it had full Steam integration, no doubt, and some of the early 'drafts' of the DRM were much worse (not to mention the unfortunate but swiftly patched security problem). But I wouldn't consider it too much rigmarole at all. Not defending it, but wouldn't consider it anything worth getting worked up about in this particular instance.

I seem to recall they've made it less intrusive than the horrendous always online unless our servers crap out rubbish they had going for games like Assassins Creed 2 and Silent Hunt 5.

This was much vaunted and celebrated for some absurd reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Why must it me mono-causal?
    Not really what I mean. I'm sure their more recent DRM implementations didn't help these piracy figures but it's far more likely that they saw similar figures in the past and used them as a justification for their attempts to lock down their games.
    I'd like to see the statistics for Half Life : EP2 , or WoW, Starcraft 2, or any of the leading games.
    While online only games aren't the best indicators for gauging piracy rates, it still doesn't stop them from appearing in the "charts". The top games of 2011 and 2010 can be found here and here.
    I try to ONLY buy my games through Steam if possible.
    I'd also wait for 6 months for a SALE rather than buy an overpriced game on release.
    This is PC games we're talking about, how can anyone regard them as being overpriced? :confused:
    Far Cry 3 is probably the only game they have I would like to buy.
    Not Watch Dogs or Rayman Legends?

gizmo wrote: »

This is PC games we're talking about, how can anyone regard them as being overpriced? :confused:

On PC on STEAM atm, yes, some of them are new.
    Most are console ports - for which the PC version will be an afterthought
    But it still shows that the prices are as expensive as high street retailers for consoles.
    We don't get all games 50% off on release

Transformers €50
    Alice :Madness Returns €50
    Darkspore : €50
    Shift 2 : €50
    Darksiders 2: €50
    Borderlands 2 : €50
    Dishonored : €50
    COD BO2 : €60
    Himan Absolution : €45

On PC on STEAM atm, yes, some of them are new.
    Most are console ports - for which the PC version will be an afterthought
    But it still shows that the prices are as expensive as high street retailers for consoles.
    Ah but that's Steam's fault, not the publishers. It's rather well known at this stage that their prices for new games are excessive. Most new titles these days seem to debut at around £27-£30 although I have seen some pretty horrific currency conversions that you guys can get hit with. Case in point, Darksiders II, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored are now £29.99 on Steam while Hitman Absolution is £26.99. :(
    Unless of course you consider theft to be taking something from someone else and thus depriving them of its use. If someone downloads a game then the developer has lost not one cent from this action
    Directly? Of course not. However to ignore the fact that they may have bought the game had the illegal version not been available isn't right either. I've often seen people say that "pirates wouldn't have bought the game anyway" which I've always found ludicrous. What, do people think that these people would just stop playing video games altogether? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Transformers €50
    Alice :Madness Returns €50
    Darkspore : €50
    Shift 2 : €50
    Darksiders 2: €50
    Borderlands 2 : €50
    Dishonored : €50
    COD BO2 : €60
    Himan Absolution : €45

Check out the price of those titles on http://www.gamestop.ie

I'm playing Driver San Francisco (Steam version) at the moment and I certainly don't consider the DRM to be particularly intrusive
    That's nice but your positive experience doesn't excuse the countless others who have had contrary experiences. Including legitimate customers who have sometimes been unable to play games that they have legitimately bought
    SeantheMan wrote:
    I can't afford a car, so I just steal one.
    I can't afford those new Nike boots in the shop, so I steal them.
    This is basically the argument people are making, but because it's "Digital" and the chances of getting caught or convicted are basically zero - it suddenly is OK for people to do so
    If you steal car then the owner has no car. If you steal some Nikes then the shop is missing one pair of Nikes. If you pirate a game... well, nothing changes

The equation of piracy (the term itself is problematic) to theft in order to make a moral/ethical argument is not productive. Certainly, from the perspective of publishers, it's not going to help understand or quash pirating
    gizmo wrote:
    Not really what I mean. I'm sure their more recent DRM implementations didn't help these piracy figures but it's far more likely that they saw similar figures in the past and used them as a justification for their attempts to lock down their games.
    That's what I'd call an excuse rather than a cause ;)

Ubisoft aren't doing this for the laughs. They've clearly been very spooked by piracy and that's fair enough. Where they have massively failed is in formulating an adequate response to this. Instead of taking the Steam or indie approach (ie, making DRM functional and useful, or forging closer relations with the customers, respectively) they've slapped on draconian DRM that doesn't affect pirates and harms paying customers. Now that, unsurprisingly, seems to be failing

I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft wasn't, relatively, by far and away the most pirated PC publisher
    Directly? Of course not. However to ignore the fact that they may have bought the game had the illegal version not been available isn't right either. I've often seen people say that "pirates wouldn't have bought the game anyway" which I've always found ludicrous. What, do people think that these people would just stop playing video games altogether?
    I think we're spoiled by Steam and, yes, pirating. I remember a time when people would buy 3-4 games a year, tops. Now the norm is to have half a dozen unplayed games on the HD

And that often gets lost in the arguments: PC gaming has expanded massively over the past two decades and continues to do so. People are playing more games than ever before. This is despite, or arguably because of, the spectre of piracy. It's pretty silly to talk of the crippling effects of the latter when we're in the middle of a PC gaming boom

So yeah, people are playing more games than ever before. There's no grounds for talking of 95% piracy rates as if sales would double if not for 'the pirates'

(Which is not to say that some people don't pirate big releases that they would have bought otherwise. I'm sure that happens to a degree. But generally I've seen that if people like a franchise or a developer then they're happy to support it financially)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have never, ever pirated a game and i've been a pc gamer since the beginning.

i work in a big factory and i see tonnes of pirated games been swapped around the place, but they are all console so dont know where they get their facts from

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I like the way people keep claiming the way DRM does not reduced piracy, when in the very article that started this thread Ubisoft said it did see a noteable reduction of piracy thanks to there DRM. Surely if there was actually no benefit to the system from there point of view and with all the bad press it attracts they would of dropped the system by now.
    Skatedude wrote:
    i work in a big factory and i see tonnes of pirated games been swapped around the place, but they are all console so dont know where they get their facts from

From checking file sharing websites. Piracy on consoles is significant (except on PS3) and very high on hand helds but console piracy is significantly lower than PC piracy.

Anyone I know who had a Nintendo DS didn't have 50 games on cartridge, but did have well over 50 games.
    I am not a DS owner.
    But I've never seen anything being subject to piracy as much ever, and so easily

This fucking attitude needs to die in a fire.

If you want something, pay for it.
    Otherwise back to the kids table with you and maybe next year you can come hang out with the adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Azza wrote: »
    From checking file sharing websites. Piracy on consoles is significant (except on PS3) and very high on hand helds but console piracy is significantly lower than PC piracy.

"Except on PS3" - how is piracy not significant for PS3?
    It still happens on the PS3 (maybe not to the same level/attention of the 360).

About a year ago when I had a PS3 I noticed quite a large pirate community for it and even though Sony brought out regular updates to circumvent the "jailbreak" they were always a workaround shortly after.

That's what I'd call an excuse rather than a cause ;)

Ubisoft aren't doing this for the laughs. They've clearly been very spooked by piracy and that's fair enough. Where they have massively failed is in formulating an adequate response to this. Instead of taking the Steam or indie approach (ie, making DRM functional and useful, or forging closer relations with the customers, respectively) they've slapped on draconian DRM that doesn't affect pirates and harms paying customers. Now that, unsurprisingly, seems to be failing

I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft wasn't, relatively, by far and away the most pirated PC publisher
    Well the reason I'd steer away from calling it an excuse is that I can't imagine they really wanted to do what they did. Or, to look at it more analytically, I can't imagine they wanted to invest so much money in a set of services for something that won't see a large effect on piracy, will probably reduce legitimate sales and will generate a metric ****ton of negative press.

As for taking the Steam approach, you're forgetting the fact that no other publisher is allowed have their own service, at least according to a rather vocal section of the gaming community. They just need to stfu, put it on Steam and let them take their cut of sales in the same manner retailers have been doing since the dawn of retail. :o
    I think we're spoiled by Steam and, yes, pirating. I remember a time when people would buy 3-4 games a year, tops. Now the norm is to have half a dozen unplayed games on the HD

And that often gets lost in the arguments: PC gaming has expanded massively over the past two decades and continues to do so. People are playing more games than ever before. This is despite, or arguably because of, the spectre of piracy. It's pretty silly to talk of the crippling effects of the latter when we're in the middle of a PC gaming boom
    If we were in the middle of a PC gaming boom then the "greedy" publishers who folk often talk about would be all over it. The problem is, they're not. What we are experiencing is the same thing that's happened at the tail end of the last few console generations. Console development begins to focus on the next gen so the number of new IPs/releases is reduced, PC gaming continues going at the same pace and with the hardware advancing as it always does, people go "hey, look PCs are awesome again" when it actual fact they've always been awesome.

What makes the next generation so interesting however is that we're beginning to see a convergence of these platforms so hopefully a year or two after their release we won't be subjected to the usual "PC gaming is dying" nonsense.
    So yeah, people are playing more games than ever before. There's no grounds for talking of 95% piracy rates as if sales would double if not for 'the pirates'
    According to most devs, sales would double if only a fraction of the pirates bought the game. Football Manager, as I linked above, would have doubled their worldwide sales if 25% of pirates had bought the game. That to me, isn't an unrealistic number with some reasonable DRM i.e. Steam availability with a one time activation. But even the latter point was too much for people it seems.
    (Which is not to say that some people don't pirate big releases that they would have bought otherwise. I'm sure that happens to a degree. But generally I've seen that if people like a franchise or a developer then they're happy to support it financially)
    Unfortunately from what I've seen this hasn't proven to be the case. The most pirated games are always the most popular series and then you have the likes of The Witcher figures above which really grind my gears given CD Projeckt's stance on the whole DRM issue and their efforts to avoid it using gamer friendly methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

PS3 and Xbox 360 piracy is fairly rampant, moreso the 360 anyways because of the length of time they've had to create workarounds to the system. New games always appear a few days before their official release on the consoles and many people don't care about playing on Xbox Live or PSN so they don't worry about the updates to the system.

PC piracy is so high because it's ridiculously easy to download a game along with it's crack / workaround since there's well known scene groups that people keep to for a reliable pirated game.

I used to pirate a fair bit back in the day but the services of Steam and Gog quickly changed my tune.

A good way to combat piracy on PC is games that release frequent updates. Take Left 4 Dead 2, for example, which was updated almost every Friday. People with pirated copies had to go searching through Russian forums to find an update, apply it manually, update your crack emulator files, change .ini files, hope it didn't screw the whole game up which many updates did, and then play away for a few days before another update came.

This got tedious for a lot of people and the numbers of pirated people dropped hugely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

93-95% of the games out there are pirated copies seems a bit much to me. it could be true, but i wouldnt believe it till i see some hard facts.

developers may not lose any money from pirating, but then again they are not recieving anything for their work. youre expecting them to work for free. its no wonder that they go for drm, pay per play etc etc.. I definatly dont blame developers any more.

if its not theft when you take someones work for free when theyre asking for you to pay them for it, what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

folan wrote: »
    93-95% of the games out there are pirated copies seems a bit much to me. it could be true, but i wouldnt believe it till i see some hard facts.

It's probably true, there's always some lame excuse pirates use when they want a free PC game.

Steam is good, but for some people "digital games are too expensive" is just another excuse for piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

folan wrote: »
    if its not theft when you take someones work for free when theyre asking for you to pay them for it, what is it?

If you call a plumber or locksmith or some other tradesman for a job, they do it and you don't pay, what's that called? If you are brought to court and made to pay, what are you guilty of? Fraud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I would be of the mindset that you just dont support companies that have stupid drm.
    I buy games from steam mostly having 106 games on one account, 56 on another, approx 30 on another and 5-10 on my last (play system link/co op alot) as steams drm is user friendly.
    I would never pay for games even though I really want them if they have customer unfriendly drm such are diablo 3 or other always on **** or install limits.
    I would never download pirate copies of these games and would just skip them as there are hundreds of other quality titles with that type of drm.
    I wont be buying battlefield 4 either if it still has the browser feature as its very easy for them to turn off online play when they want to force you to buy another game instead.

Advertisement