Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

morebabies wrote: »
    Anyone get resistance from family members to breastfeeding their baby?

My MIL has just been over to visit my 4 week old, and would not let up, "you're not still breastfeeding are you", "he can go on bottles now, you've done your bit", "you can't have him stuck to you all the time", and "oh yes young man, you want a bottle don't you?"

I replied through gritted teeth that as long as i could manage it, i would keep it up. Apart from the heath benefits, one of my main reasons for bfing this baby is a financial one, we're very short of money and this makes a very positive difference to our weekly budget. I told her that and got a blank expression in return.

Why do some people (MILs especially) think they can intrude on your parenting and tell you what to do? Especially when the benefits of breastfeeding are so widely known. My blood pressure is not able for this. Apologies for rant.

Oh lordy, that's extremely unpleasant :( Someone so close to you and a mother themselves really should have the cop on to keep their mouth shut. I think that sometines there might be an element of jealousy or envy where reactions like this are concerned, if your baby is feeding well and thriving AND you're enjoying breastfeeding then there's is absolutely no logical reason for you to stop, so you're MIL's reaction is definitely a reflection of her and not of you at all. Keep flying what you're doing and try hard to ignore her - easier said then done I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

morebabies wrote: »
    Anyone get resistance from family members to breastfeeding their baby?

My MIL has just been over to visit my 4 week old, and would not let up, "you're not still breastfeeding are you", "he can go on bottles now, you've done your bit", "you can't have him stuck to you all the time", and "oh yes young man, you want a bottle don't you?"

I replied through gritted teeth that as long as i could manage it, i would keep it up. Apart from the heath benefits, one of my main reasons for bfing this baby is a financial one, we're very short of money and this makes a very positive difference to our weekly budget. I told her that and got a blank expression in return.

Why do some people (MILs especially) think they can intrude on your parenting and tell you what to do? Especially when the benefits of breastfeeding are so widely known. My blood pressure is not able for this. Apologies for rant.

Yup I get it from our families too - no comments from the in laws as such but you know they think I'm mad! My own mother would be the one for the snarky comments.
    I was the first in my family (and dh's) to bf and they all thought -and still do think - I'm bonkers
    Bf my third now so they know I'm a "lost cause" lol
    Am proud of my baby sister who is currently bf her first lo - she's supplementing with formula but hey it's mainly bf by now so it's a big achievement. Not blowing my own trumpet but she wouldn't have dreamed of bf only that she has seen me at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I never got any comments like that on breastfeeding but on other things for sure. Apparently it's good to leave a baby to cry so they don't get into bad habits and it gives them a chance to practice using their lungs???!!
    The best thing you can do is just remind yourself that your mil probably doesn't have much experience of breastfeeding and will come at parenting in general from a different angle. Just keep repeating that this is working for you and bottles aren't for you right now. You're dead right to just say you're doing it as long as it's working. That could be 4 months, could be 20, but it's between you and your baby to decide. Seriously though, try your best to let those things wash over you cos it'll be something else next and you don't want to be getting annoyed with her the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Quick question for you ladies, we had the babies christening over the weekend and a lot of family staying so the baby had a few expressed bottles and more rushed feeds than usual. I also was a bit lax about pumping, so I feel my supply has dropped a bit. What's the quickest way to increase supply, pump after every feed or feed the baby more frequently?

I'd feed more regularly but then I don't like pumping much
    Maybe a bit of both? One extra pump combined with shorter gaps between feeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

ncmc wrote: »
    Quick question for you ladies, we had the babies christening over the weekend and a lot of family staying so the baby had a few expressed bottles and more rushed feeds than usual. I also was a bit lax about pumping, so I feel my supply has dropped a bit. What's the quickest way to increase supply, pump after every feed or feed the baby more frequently?

Oh I say feed! You'll soon have your supply back up once you are feeding babies regularly again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

ncmc wrote: »

Have you ever tried fenugreek tea.

I find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I hate pumping too happywithlife! It's not even the pumping so much as the cleaning and sterilising afterwards. I tried feeding a bit more frequently today and also pumped after a couple of feeds (got nothing though). I take fennel tea Monflat, is that the same thing? I also eat porridge and drink plenty of water. Hopefully I'll notice an increase in supply over the next few days.

Ncmc you'll get fenugreek in the health store
    I'm here pumping at the mo ha!
    Have a family thing on at the weekend and i may be tempted to have a glass or two of vino so am stockpiling just in case 😀
    Does anyone how much I'd need to stockpile for a 12week old baby if I wanted to head out to the local for a few hours? How many oz per bottle? And how many bottles? If I was gone say from 9pm to 2am and he'd normally hAve 2feeds in that time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Ncmc you'll get fenugreek in the health store
    I'm here pumping at the mo ha!
    Have a family thing on at the weekend and i may be tempted to have a glass or two of vino so am stockpiling just in case 😀
    Does anyone how much I'd need to stockpile for a 12week old baby if I wanted to head out to the local for a few hours? How many oz per bottle? And how many bottles? If I was gone say from 9pm to 2am and he'd normally hAve 2feeds in that time

I use the formula here and find it a really good guide. I always use 4oz bottles with size 1 teat

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Gave birth midnight last night, baby had first feed at 3 am yesterday, then had trouble latching this morning, and only got a couple 20 min feeds before 5, at which point had two thirty min feeds at 8 (each side), then slept with him next to me as he wanted skin to skin, but then fed an hour and a half on each breast at 1.He was quite upset when he went on left breast (ragged breathing like when crying, but still sucking). I'm just wondering if this is normal and part of him getting my supply ready to come in?

Gave birth midnight last night, baby had first feed at 3 am yesterday, then had trouble latching this morning, and only got a couple 20 min feeds before 5, at which point had two thirty min feeds at 8 (each side), then slept with him next to me as he wanted skin to skin, but then fed an hour and a half on each breast at 1.He was quite upset when he went on left breast (ragged breathing like when crying, but still sucking). I'm just wondering if this is normal and part of him getting my supply ready to come in?

Congratulations :) well done you on the breastfeeding. I wouldn't have called that difficulty latching at all. They sound like great feeds. I'm not sure about the crying thing, just always make sure he's latched properly. Get your phn or community midwives to check the latch, better still if you're still in hospital now have them check it. Best of luck :)

Our first few feeds were all over the place with timing as well, you're both still very much in the early stages of figuring it all out. I think it's all very haphazard until your milk comes in and even then for the first week at least. Baby will have a growth spurt at ten days and after that you may see a bit more of a rhythm to things.

Huge congratulations to you :)

Congrats. On your baby!

Regards the crying
    My little man did that at the start.
    But all for for different reasons.
    He cried because he was tired.
    He cried because I put him on when he didn't want.
    He cried because what I thought he had to work hard initially to get milk.
    And when my milk came in he cried because of a fast let down.!

All these things figuring out along the way.

Seems like your goin great thou.
    The first 48 hrs are very hard. But looks like you are Heading in the right direction!
    It will take a while to get to know each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

12 days in and baby seems to be getting more and more colicky :-( I find it so difficult to wind him at all, and he only feeds for a few minutes at a time. As soon as I put him down he's screaming again. I pick him up and he starts rooting so put him on the boob and he is trying to drink while wailing at the same time. It's like he's starving but in pain at the same time.

Usually if I manage to wind him at all he just spews instead of burping. For the first week or so he spewed after every feed so I thought maybe he had reflux, but now I just wonder if it's just colic. He's definitely way worse at night time.

My older son was a bit colicky aswell but not this bad and after 6 weeks I switched to a comfort formula because neither of us were happy. I wonder if I'm putting too much pressure on myself to breastfeed this little fella for the same amount of time. I can't pay any attention to my older son and I'm so exhausted.

I think I feel bad about switching because the crying aside, he has no issue latching on, my nipples aren't sore or anything, so I don't have a lot of the issues that mums find when they try to feed, and I have no idea if I switch now if it will make any difference to his colic.

I don't know what to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

most bf babies do not need winding. first off try some laidback nursing, and make some baby is tummy to tummy.Ill pop a link or two on here.

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/assets/articles/Colson%202007%20non%20prescriptive%20recipe%20for%20BF.pdf aplogies for the PDF link but there is so much info on that leaflet it could not be quoted.
    mothers neither sit up right nor do they lie on their sides or flat on their back. Instead, they are in comfortable semi-reclined positions where every part of their body is supported especially their shoulders and neck. Then they lie their babies on top of their bodies so that babies head is somewhere near the breast. In other words mothers make the breast available. Babies lie prone or on their tummies but their bodies are not flat but tilted up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Karmella wrote: »
    12 days in and baby seems to be getting more and more colicky :-( I find it so difficult to wind him at all, and he only feeds for a few minutes at a time. As soon as I put him down he's screaming again. I pick him up and he starts rooting so put him on the boob and he is trying to drink while wailing at the same time. It's like he's starving but in pain at the same time.

Usually if I manage to wind him at all he just spews instead of burping. For the first week or so he spewed after every feed so I thought maybe he had reflux, but now I just wonder if it's just colic. He's definitely way worse at night time.

My older son was a bit colicky aswell but not this bad and after 6 weeks I switched to a comfort formula because neither of us were happy. I wonder if I'm putting too much pressure on myself to breastfeed this little fella for the same amount of time. I can't pay any attention to my older son and I'm so exhausted.

I think I feel bad about switching because the crying aside, he has no issue latching on, my nipples aren't sore or anything, so I don't have a lot of the issues that mums find when they try to feed, and I have no idea if I switch now if it will make any difference to his colic.

I don't know what to do :(

Hey Karmella, I know somewhat what you are going through. I had lowish platelets at delivery and lost 600 cc blood, so I'm running anemic now. I had fever during labour, so both baby and I were on IV antibiotics and I had a precautionary prescription to take at home, which has left me with diahorea. I was four days in hospital, two for induction/labour and two for after, getting on average 2 hrs sleep per day. He was on me literally all night, fell asleep twice for an hour each time while side nursing, panicking that I could have smothered him. Every time I put him in the crib, he would scream under the night. During the day he would sleep in it for 3 hrs, but I couldn't sleep then due to all the noise. on the 2nd night with him I broke down, felt like a complete failure as I went to get a bottle from midwife so I could sleep.

I had him on me for the 17 - 22 times a day since coming home 2 days ago for a total of 4 hrs each day. He would only sleep when held, which was fine as visitors wanted to hold him, and cried all night despite soother. He developed red spots in his urine, no dirty nappies. I felt like an absolute failure again as something was wrong and I had to give him a bottle at 3 this morning so I could get 3 hrs sleep

Went back to Holles St this morning for heel prick, and they confirmed he was feeding off me way too much and the red spots were uric acid as he was dehydrated as my body hasn't let down milk yet, most likely due to me being run down. In the 4 days since born he had alreafy lost his 10%. They said I was right give bottle and I am to bf ever 3 hrs for 15 mins on each breast and give formula when still showing signs of hunger till milk comes down.

I felt so relieved to be told that it didn't matter what websites said about bf, at this time, no matter how often I demand feed, I am not enough for my baby but a combination is best for both of us. Two midwives took me into a room to calm me down and reassure me that I was doing great and not to be so hard on myself.

I think sometimes books and the Internet can make moms feel so bad about themselves. No baby and mother is the same and I am just starting to realise I need to go with what I feel is right for baby, me, and hubby. He tried to reassure me so many times but I wouldn't hear him as I was caught in a viscous circle of breastfeeding advocates opinions, sleep deprivation, and baby blues.

I am still pro breastfeeding, and will continue even if it's combination feeding. However, once your baby is happy, healthy and loved- that's what matters. So like was told to me Karmella, you're doing great, don't be so hard on yourself, and do whatever works best for your family :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi all, I've recently stopped expressing each morning so have a box of medela freezer bags if anyone wants them. There's 15 bags left in the box (was 20)... And they're usually €13 a box. I'm in South Dublin so if anyone wants them (free obviously), let me know if you can collect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 coddlehip

Karmella,

Have you had baby checked for a tongue-tie? My DD was very similar with colicky symptoms especially in the evenings and had a anterior tongue-tie which I think caused her to swallow too much air when feeding even though she didn't seem to have trouble latching on. Holles St. either didn't notice it (or at least didn't mention it), but it was diagnosed by one of the community midwives who visited us. I don't think she really burped much either but seemed to find that latching on helped the air to pass through to the other end.
    Tongue-tie can also be genetic so if your older son was also colicky could he have had undiagnosed tongue-tie?
    DD was much better after she had the tongue tie released (which all went very smoothly and took about 5 seconds).
    Did you try anything like Infacol? It didn't seem to make much difference with dd but some people seem to find it helps.

Hope you and he are able to find some way to relieve his symptoms and leave you less exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I have the 2 week check up with the gp this week so I'll see if she has any insight. I'm after another sleepless night - he cried constantly from 2 until 6 :(. I was kind of following that laid back approach without realising it anyway, so I'm not sure if it's making any difference. He definitely needed to be winded his little belly was so bloated, and it was actually only after a nappy explosion that he calmed down at 6am. There isn't a peep out of him now, had to wake him for a feed after which he went straight back to sleep on my chest. (seems to be his favourite spot)

• Advertisement

it can be hard when they sleep only there but it will pass so quickly. sling might be your best friend
    switching to formula might not help (i spoke to a woman whose son nursed each hour on the hour when she switched to formula, on advice of nearly all, he still did but now she had the added pressure of washing and sterilising bottles. she nursed her second child on the hr every hr for 9 mths a tleast she didn't have any additional work)
    persist with gp, but you are also under the care of the hospital still.
    You will need to talk about oversupply as a possibility, tongue-tie also and the poss of dairy intolerance. hth

also to say my son was also like that, all three were, it passed after some time. there were tongue-tie issues and dairy issues.

Has anyone ever used Dr newman s all purpose nipple ointment?

I was told by midwife that there is prescribing guidelines on line to give to your gp. To prescribe
    I can't find them.
    .has anyone any links?

Thanks

monflat wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used Dr newman s all purpose nipple ointment?

I was told by midwife that there is prescribing guidelines on line to give to your gp. To prescribe
    I can't find them.
    .has anyone any links?

Thanks

Two different pharmacists told me they weren't allowed to make up this ointment anymore despite me having a prescription for it from my GP, and although one agreed to do it for my lactation consultant, when I went to get it myself she talked me out of getting it because she said the steroid used in it is strong. I don't know anything about it so had to take her word for it.

You might have better luck though, ingredients can be found here: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-APNO

Jerrica wrote: »
    Two different pharmacists told me they weren't allowed to make up this ointment anymore despite me having a prescription for it from my GP, and although one agreed to do it for my lactation consultant, when I went to get it myself she talked me out of getting it because she said the steroid used in it is strong. I don't know anything about it so had to take her word for it.

You might have better luck though, ingredients can be found here: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-APNO

Lovely stuff thanks very much.

Has anyone experienced blanching of the nipples?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A pharmacist tried to make it up for me when A was a week old. She was unsure about the ingredient for thrush but she had no issue making it up. In fact she went online to try figure it out while I was there. She did tell me to use it sparingly because it would thin the skin but I think you're only supposed to use a minuscule amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

My little girl is 10 days old and weighed in at 3.22kg when she was born.
    When weighed in the hospital,she had lost 10.8% of her birth weight and. We weren't allowed home for another 24 hours until she regained some of that weight. In 24 hours she out back on 8% of the weight and so while she was still under her birth weight she was moving in the right direction and so let us home.

We were back in 2 days later for the heel prick test and she was weighed 3.02kg and so had continued to gain and they were happy with that. To day the baby is 10 days old and since Sunday (when she was 6 days old) has gained a further 40 g and weighs 3.06kg. A total gain in 4 days of 40g only.

The PHN said that there is no way she will have gained her birth weight by Monday but it should still be hopefully heading in the right direction.

Then we discussed my feeding. I've been mostly breast feeding with the occasional top up and I've been going along with what the baby has wanted. However having just looked over my notes of feeds recorded this could range from a gap of 1 hour to possibly as much as 5 hours (at the very most) between feeds. I know this is too much.
    Can I check that the following is the case:
    1) the interval should be 3 hours and I wake the baby (love it or hate it) for a feed at this time?
    2) each feed at the breast should be 20 mins (10 each side)?
    3) I cannot be 100% sure of how much the baby is feeding at the breast so if I wanted to have an idea of what I am producing I should pump to be able to measure the amount to have a guide for myself?
    4) I should be hoping to produce in the region of 100 mls at each pump (lasting a total of 20 mins) so therefore I know that the baby is getting at the same length of feeding at the breast?
    5) to ensure I am producing enough I need to pump and feed frequently?
    6) I'm not quite sure how 5) would work if so. Do I feed for 20 mins, pump after this (if so at what interval after feeding) and then feed the baby a top up of my expressed milk or
    7) I feed for 20 mins every three hours and then I pump when?

It seems as though the entire 24 hours in a day will be spent either feeding the baby or pumping from a machine if this is the case. Talk about physically and mentally exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bauble1

When weighed in the hospital,she had lost 10.8% of her birth weight and. We weren't allowed home for another 24 hours until she regained some of that weight. In 24 hours she out back on 8% of the weight and so while she was still under her birth weight she was moving in the right direction and so let us home.

We were back in 2 days later for the heel prick test and she was weighed 3.02kg and so had continued to gain and they were happy with that. To day the baby is 10 days old and since Sunday (when she was 6 days old) has gained a further 40 g and weighs 3.06kg. A total gain in 4 days of 40g only.

The PHN said that there is no way she will have gained her birth weight by Monday but it should still be hopefully heading in the right direction.

Then we discussed my feeding. I've been mostly breast feeding with the occasional top up and I've been going along with what the baby has wanted. However having just looked over my notes of feeds recorded this could range from a gap of 1 hour to possibly as much as 5 hours (at the very most) between feeds. I know this is too much.
    1) the interval should be 3 hours and I wake the baby (love it or hate it) for a feed at this time?
    3) I cannot be 100% sure of how much the baby is feeding at the breast so if I wanted to have an idea of what I am producing I should pump to be able to measure the amount to have a guide for myself?
    4) I should be hoping to produce in the region of 100 mls at each pump (lasting a total of 20 mins) so therefore I know that the baby is getting at the same length of feeding at the breast?
    6) I'm not quite sure how 5) would work if so. Do I feed for 20 mins, pump after this (if so at what interval after feeding) and then feed the baby a top up of my expressed milk or

It seems as though the entire 24 hours in a day will be spent either feeding the baby or pumping from a machine if this is the case. Talk about physically and mentally exhausting.

Hi Penny,
    where did you get most of that information regarding frequency of feeding etc?

It is not recommended to pump in the first 6 weeks while you establish supply. It is alot of extra effort during an already tiring period and over supply can leads to problems. If you wanted to stop top ups I would recommend taking to the bed for the day with your baby and feed and rest. In the long run it will make life easier for you.

Sorry I'm not very good at explaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

My little one took 2weeks to return to her birth weight of 4kg then at her 6week check was 4.8kg.

They don't generally recommend pumping untill your supply is established.

What I went by and I don't know if everyone gets this, was I would get a tingling feeling is both breasts and then I would feed. If she was asleep I woke her. Think this could be let down?
    She's now 8weeks and I only get that feeling once she has latched.

I agree with the previous advice if at all possible just take to the bed and feed and rest.

Breast feeding is a full time job for the first few weeks untill it's established!

• Advertisement

Hi penny and congrats on the new arrival :)

I can only speak from my own experience. In general they do say to follow the baby's lead and feed when they look for it. In your particular circumstance, it's best to ask the doc or phn if you should feed every 3 hours. My lo had jaundice and I had to do that for the first 3 weeks but it was under advice of the medics. You'll get all opinions on here so just be mindful of that.

As for pumping, it's important to remember that the baby is far more efficient at feeding than a pump so if you get 100ml in 20 mins the baby could get more.

With breastfeeding you have to trust that they're taking what they need. If you wanted reassurance, give a topup but I wouldn't express all feeds just so you know how much the baby's taking. Look at the wet and dirty nappies and if there's an increase in weight at all that's good. Again as far as how much of an increase, follow you doc and phn advice.

The same goes for how long on each side. Pretty much feed the baby for as long as she will take and offer the second breast. It's different for everyone though so don't worry if she's not always taking 20 mins. My lo only took 10 mins from one side and she's grand! It's just so different.

If you want to pump for a topup, you don't necessarily have to do it after every feed but then it will depend on how much milk you need. I would say for sure feed the baby first then pump off the side she fed least on. If you do end up feeding every 3 hours thoughit may not be necessary to give top ups.

It is exhausting but once you get over this hurdle you'll feel much better about it. Best of luck :)

It's taken me so long to write this I'm sure there'll. be loads of answers before mine but just remember it's all so personal :)

EDIT: I've just read the first few replies that went up while I was typing and yes the general advice is not to pump for the first 6 weeks but in some circumstances, like my own, you have to. If you've not been told the baby needs top ups, do as the other ladies have suggested and feed more often. I pumped cos I had to and I was told to give top ups too. Sorry if what I wrote is confusing

Advertisement