Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB sacked!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

AVB's 3yr contract worth £14m. On top of that, CFC spent £28m paying off Ancelotti & Porto. Thus his 39-game reign cost over £1m a match.

I've seen he only had a 5 million pay off clause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah they have a fair bit of deadweight but Cech, Cole, Terry, Essien, Ivanovic, Lampard, Meireles, Torres are still at ages where they can play at the highest level and the likes of Luiz, Romeu, Ramires, Mata, Sturridge, Lukaku are quality young players.

The players are there, the manager just wasn't getting the best out of them and most importantly, didn't look like he was going to.

I can see them performing much better under a fresh manager and system more suited to their abilities.
    I agree! If AVB was English, he would have been absolutely destroyed on here for the way he picked his team and set it up. The fact that AVB allowed senior players to give team talks should have been enough to tell you that he was not a strong enough personality to impose his style of this team. AVB can talk about the project all he liked, but the fact remains that the Chelsea team he has should be finishing in the top 4 comfortably. The title wasn't a realistic ambition, but 3rd or 4th was definitely where this team should have been at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

amacachi wrote: »
    I expect Chelsea to go on a good run now. Gonna need Spurs to meltdown for Arsenal to get 4th.

It's not a total disaster for us. It wasn't working under AVB and you can see why Roman sacked him, we were only ever going to plummet with him in charge.

I'm confident of fourth spot, Arsenal are our only threat for that and they will drop points all over the place as i have said. I suppose Roman did what he had to in order to save our season, if he didn't i could of seen us slip behind Newcastle and maybe even the Pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

In terms of the cost of continually hiring and firing, how does this affect Chelsea's book keeping with regard to the financial fair play rules? Surely this kind of expenditure is unsustainable when the rules are fully implemented??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

People can blame the players or Roman, but AVB was the architect of his own downfall. Whatever about a brief to overhaul the squad and club philosophy, he also had to manage his resources and work with what's at his disposal.

Instead, he forced tactics designed for a young and hungry squad onto an ageing team. He tried to play a high line with Terry at the back. He tried to play a 433 without quality wingers, and wholly unsuited to the likes of Mata, Sturridge, Torres.che alienated the likes of Lampard, Anelka, Alex, and wasted a chance to get a result against the CL's most tactically naive team by playing politics with his team selection.

He completely failed to foster team spirit, motivate the team, or adapt to his circumstances.

Chelsea need continuity, but they also need to make sure they continue with the right person. AVB didn't show he was the right person.

It is hard to argue with what you have said,

But for me he lacked the support of the senior players and that has been the most damning aspect of his downfall. It is near impossible to foster team spirit or motivate a team when you do not have the backing and support of all of those around you.

He managed to get rid of two of them, but unfortunately the ones who remained obviously held too much sway and power.

The guy has obvious talent, and will continue to display that wherever the wind takes him next.

As for Chelsea, they are always going to struggle if Roman continues to be so impatient. I can't believe he shelled out so much to get his man, and how quickly he has gone back against it. The money wasted on this short period for the club is shocking, and he will have to take most of the blame for me should the club fail to make the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Don't think their form will improve much tbh the players have been performing poorly I can't see how they'll miraculously improve in such a short space of time, next season is the big one though with a new manager (and surely a host of new players) in, together with a number of current players shipped out.

The players wanted rid of him. 3 or 4 straight wins now would vindicate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Benitez favourite at 5/4 according to Paddy Power

Can't seen him taking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

amacachi wrote: »
    The players wanted rid of him. 3 or 4 straight wins now would vindicate them.

Expect to see the performance levels rise sharply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Senior players undermine AVB because he's not Jose.
    AVB gets sacked.
    Jose comes back.
    Jose gets rid of senior players cause they're ****.

God please let this happen. The irony would be beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Can't see Capello taking it, he's available immediately if they wanted him. Likewise Benitez, although he would know how to get the best out of Torres.

The appointment of Di Matteo does suggest that there may be a gentleman's agreement for Mourinho to return in the summer - I hope that's not true, and Mourinho might think better of it.

With Redknapp possibly taking the England job, is there a chance of AVB becoming the next Spurs manager? I think at Spurs he might get a better chance to showcase his abilities.

Still don't know why they fired Ancellotti. He's a great manager and he made Chelsea very likable.

RA's policy of giving managers less than a season to prove themselves is not going to help with the phasing out of the old guard - any new manager will know that RA only thinks in the short-term and may continue to rely on the old guard to achieve short-term results. But I suppose that can all be solved by throwing another 150m at the problem.

• Advertisement

Expect to see the performance levels rise sharply!

That's the worry. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Abromovich should just become the manager or is he afraid of sacking himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Trampas

rafa turned them down last week supposedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

Farce, he wasn't given a chance. he should've been given the funds/time to build his own squad around his philosophy and then judged. breaking up that ageing team still needs to be done and whoever does it will need un wavering support from the boardroom. great news for arsenal and liverpool though, they are self destructing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Manager was out of his depth, and players sensed that and went for the throat. Will be a top manager, but needs to get another 5+ years in continental football before he can come back to English football at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

SoulTrader wrote: »
    With Redknapp possibly taking the England job, is there a chance of AVB becoming the next Spurs manager? I think at Spurs he might get a better chance to showcase his abilities.

AVB at spurs could work very well is Harry does decide to leave. I would like to see him in that role.

Any new manager coming in now is going to be in a very difficult position. They will either have to keep the senior players happy and give up control on what the team does, or try get rid as many as he can, build up a new team but risking the wrath of the owner if that new team doesn't start performing very quickly, but I think this scenario is very unlikely.

so wba got mccarthy sacked and now avb. and a manager sacked by wba takes over at chelsea - u couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Can't seen him taking it.

Funnily enough, Benitez is speaking in TCD tomorrow. Surely someone will ask him then, or else I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Come to Villa AVB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

So many managers later, they still cannot replace the special one.

Only solution for Roman now, is to eat his humble pie and open up the checkbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

should of never sacked anceloti

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Chelsea's next 5 fixtures - Birmingham (A), Stoke (H), Napoli (H), Man City (A), Spurs (H).

nailed on 5 wins for roberto there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I would be very suprised to see Mourinho back at Chelsea. What is needed is a clear out in order to let Lukaku and Sturridge thrive. Players like Lampard and Cole are having too much influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chelsea's next 5 fixtures - Birmingham (A), Stoke (H), Napoli (H), Man City (A), Spurs (H).

I reckon Di Matteo gets the sack once he gets knocked out of the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Abramovich should be next manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

JPA wrote: »
    Roman had to/has to accept a new manager will take time to implement their ideas and philosophy.

tell that to sunderland fans or spurs fans or chelsea fans in 2009 when hiddink took over, sometimes a club and manager/player are just not suited to each other and avb and chelsea were not a match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I hope it doesn't prove to be too much of a set back for AVB's career, although he definitely has time on his side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

rossie1977 wrote: »
    tell that to sunderland fans or spurs fans or chelsea fans in 2009 when hiddink took over, sometimes a club and manager/player are just not suited to each other and avb and chelsea were not a match

Abramovich wants Chelsea to play like FC Barcelona though. It will take time to put that in place, but he is not willing to wait for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sacking Ancelotti was a really daft move. So I'm going to look on with real interest to see who they get to replace AVB. Not that many top tier managers available at the moment and in all honesty who'd actually want to inherit this woeful Chelsea situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Thing is according to rumours, the relationship between the older more influential players and Di Matteo is not supposedly great either. But I think they will start playing better for themselves as they know Di Matteo is only a interim solution and an improvement in results is not going to get him the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ridiculous sacking. Why get AVB in the first place if you are going to sack him in his first season with a tiny transfer kitty. Everyone knows the players are past it and need to be replaced asap. It will take well over a hundred million in transfer fees to get them back to the top. They need players all over the pitch and AVB would have been the man to get them there. No manager can turn this squad around - they are old and average now. Who is he going to get now - Rafa - lol.

Warper wrote: »
    Ridiculous sacking. Why get AVB in the first place if you are going to sack him in his first season with a tiny transfer kitty.

AVB spent £85m during his period as manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hodgson in to settle the ship, only man for the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Harry would take the job if offered. #justsaying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,979 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rossie1977 wrote: »
    AVB spent £85m during his period as manager

I can only come up with 61.3m...Am i missing anyone?
    Cahill 7m
    Mata 25m
    Meireles 12m
    Lukaku 13m
    Romeu 4.3m

(still a nice sum of money of course!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Big mick mccarthy in id say. For the LOL's.

Yakult wrote: »
    Hodgson in to settle the ship, only man for the job!

Chelsea probably wouldn't be happy with him only having them a point better off at this point next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Not a shock considering how trigger happy Roman is when it comes to managers. Harsh on AVB but he must have known it was coming when it became obvious that the players had no intention of doing what he wanted of them. Terry, Lampard, Cole, Drogba and several more were the problem but it seems obvious that they are who is really running things.

Can't see any top manager being interested unless they are given one hell of an insurance that they will be given at least a few seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Rumor has it that Jose flew in and met up with AVB .

For what nobody knows but he did look resigned yesterday after the WestBrom game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He should never have been hired, he simply didn't have enough years managing in the top flight. Moreover, Ancelotti should never have been sacked if this was the level of replacement available.

Chelsea need to hire someone and stick with them while they undergo a fundamental overhaul of the playing staff. Anything else will amount to a half measure.

Hire Benitez, give him money, give him time and they will be back fighting for Champions Leagues / Leagues within a couple of years.

On Football Weekly they said Benitez was offered the job but turned it down. I don't know if it was only a temporary position or the full thing.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cahill 7m
    Mata 25m
    Meireles 12m
    Lukaku 13m
    Romeu 4.3m

Lukaku was 20m http://www.chelseafc360.com/2011/07/chelsea-up-bid-for-lukaku-to-20m-as.html Thibaut Courtois cost £8-10m, Kevin De Bruyne joined chelsea in january (not during avb reign as i originally thought) so you can subtract 7-8m from my previous calculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Cahill 7m
    Mata 25m
    Meireles 12m
    Lukaku 13m
    Romeu 4.3m

Thibaut Courtois
    Ulises Dávila Plascencia
    Kevin De Bruyne
    Patrick Bamford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Can't just have stability for stabilities sake, he wasn't the right man for the job and it was clearly evident he couldn't handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Chelsea might have spent £85m but I doubt AVB had much to do with choosing many of the signings. Maybe Mata and Meireles. Don't think he wanted any of the young Belgians or even Cahill for that matter.

Cahill 7m
    Mata 25m
    Meireles 12m
    Lukaku 13m
    Romeu 4.3m

Only Mata, Romeu and Meireles were AVB purchases,
    all others have been "club" ones

Thats part of the problem - we change managers so much and\or interfere too much that we have 2 transfer policys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Any man who repeatedly plays David Luiz as a centre back in a high defensive line deserves the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Too many senior players in Abramovic's ear,not right when players seem to have more power than the manager.

There's a clique at Chelsea which needs to be broken up,the sooner the likes of Terry,Cole & Lampard are finished at the club the better.No manager will survive with those conspiring against him and a trigger happy owner.

Advertisement