Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

To an extent most SH players are a punt to some degree. Its a completely different style of rugby, different culture, different lifestyle. Some players just suit the NH (e.g. Sykes) while others revel in the different surroundings and improve their reputation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

[Quote=[Jackass];79519891] Nacewa had come from Super14 where he had produced very little and played as a mediocre 10, and was signed as a 10[/Quote]

What a load of rubbish. Just because you didn't know much about him does not mean he had "produced very little". He was extremely highly rated in NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Fair enough re them mentioning his outside back potential, but he had played 10 for almost the entire previous season at Auckland and played a lot of rugby at 10 for Leinster in that first season too. Regarding him being a well established player, Clint Newland to put it in perspective had more Super14 time and had played for the Maori, and I think it's fair tosay he was a punt. Berquist, Sykes etc all had more experience, but I'd have called them punts too.

Maybe it's just what you would consider a punt. I would consider it a non-established international quality player. Ollie Le Roux, CJ Van Der Linde, Rocky Elsom, Chris Whitaker, Brad Thorn, Nathan Hines, you know what you're getting. Strauss, Bent, Denton, Quin Roux etc. you're taking a chance on a player who's played top level, but hasn't been a proven success at that level. I'd include Nacewa in that. For every success of a punt like Nacewa, you have the failures of guys like Newland and Sykes imo.

Sorry Jackass, but you're well off the mark on this one. Nacewa was very highly rated in Super rugby and was not remotely in the Newland/Sykes/Berquist category. He was nominated for New Zealand player of the year just before he came over iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Nacewa was the fulcrum of the Blues back line during his last 2 seasons there. He was hugely rated and his battle to have his Fijian cap wasn't for fun; he was in line for an NZ cap if he could have managed it. He was one of the classiest players in Super Rugby when he made the switch if not one of the highest profile ones which I'd attribute to his lack of international success.

SOB's surgery took place yesterday and, according to the man himself, was a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Bristol in 02/03 were all over the place off the field. If I remember right their owner half way through the season said he was pulling out. Without him it looked like the club couldn't survive financially. There were other off the field problems too.

Also by 2003 Contepomi had become a main player for Argentina. I think he got his debut in 1999.

He was a big signing at the time.

after the '99 world cup Clontarf appointed Griz Willey coach, he'd just coached argentina and i remember the talk was that contepomi wanted to come to ireland and play rugby while completing his studies in RCofS's. At the time the talk was him to play AIL with clontarf and provincial with Leinster...never happened and he moved to Bristol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

GerM wrote: »
    SOB's surgery took place yesterday and, according to the man himself, was a success.

Did he perform it himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

shuffol wrote: »
    Did he perform it himself?

He was too busy wrestling a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

durkadurka wrote: »
    He was too busy wrestling a bull.

And saving a kitten from a tree. At the same time :cool:

• Advertisement

Seph503 wrote: »
    And saving a kitten from a tree. At the same time :cool:

Sean O'Brien doesn't save kittens. He eats them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aiden7

whilst it is never good for any player to have hip Surgery esp when they are only 25! this forced break for SOB will be good for him allows him to have a proper break.

Shame that Ruddock is out too as it would have givin him a chance to impress at 6/8, but assuming that Dom Ryan is fit, he should get plenty of gametime to impress and maybe one the academy lads like Gilsenan/J Murphy/Jordan Coghlan to get some gametime in the Rabo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I don't know what exactly SOB had fixed but I would imagine it was an acetabular labral tear. This is the ring of fibrous cartilage that holds the head of the femur in place. It can become pinched, inflamed and then tear free. This injury is becoming far more common than in previous years. It was so rare even 10 years ago that academic texts rarely referred to it at all. Guys are getting bigger and stronger but cartilage, ligaments and tendons aren't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do you know what happened to Leamy Jaco?

I don't remember anything more than a hip problem being said but it is/was a strange one I thought the way it came about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Do you know what happened to Leamy Jaco?

I don't remember anything more than a hip problem being said but it is/was a strange one I thought the way it came about.

No, nor to young Pollock who also retired because of a hip problem. In Leamy's case it may simply have been a case of too much degeneration leading to osteoarthritis. In Pollock's case it may have been due to damage to the epiphyseal growth plates caused by physical trauma at his relatively young age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

629881.jpg

I know we all knew about it, but it's great to note that we had someone like Shane representing rugby by carrying the flame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

.ak wrote: »
    I know we all knew about it, but it's great to note that we had someone like Shane representing rugby by carrying the flame.

Shaggy needs a statue built for him!!! I will always love him! great player, absolute gent when I met him(even out at 3 in morning when both of us had a few on us) and a great pundit......

Still love how mad in the head he gets around the matchs against Munster....class act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Is LF forum down for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Shaggy needs a statue built for him!!!...

There is not enough marble in the world! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,352 ✭✭✭✭phog

Morf wrote: »
    Is LF forum down for anyone else?

looks down - http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/leinsterfans.com

Off topic but why does our thread get an exclamation mark and no else does?

Is it a warning that we've won the HC three times :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

WeeBushy wrote: »

I guess you mean the II which is for 2, as in the second thread on Leinster team talk after original was closed down due to being so big.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I guess you mean the II which is for 2, as in the second thread on Leinster team talk after original was closed down due to being so big.....

he means the warning symbol to the left of the thread title in the forum page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

ask you shall receive
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79490235&postcount=5

Because the Elders so sayeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

A slightly odd preseason game lined up, shame SOB will be injured for this:D

We all dream of a team of Jordan Coghlans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hip injury, I can see him playing through the pain barrier.

Probably is a bit dodge though, like we're trying to get away from being a pretentious posh sport, and we're playing One Day Cricket internationals....

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hip injury, I can see him playing through the pain barrier.

Probably is a bit dodge though, like we're trying to get away from being a pretentious posh sport, and we're playing One Day Cricket internationals....

Maybe Cricket is trying to get away from their image and decided to put on a game against Leinster....

So, cricket folk think rugby folk are... common?

:eek:

We're through the looking glass here people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Now the Irish cricket team playing Leinster in rugby would be something that we'd all pay to see :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Champions of Europe DVD
    http://www.twitvid.com/O3AG3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'll pick that up in about 3 years down the local charity shop for a fiver.

Those DVDs are generally too expensive for what you get.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If the DVD is anything like the previous versions it's not going to great or even worth it at all to be honest. Even the blurb for it says that only the Final is in full so what you'll prob end up getting is very brief highlights (could be just the tries) from the other games.

If the DVD is anything like the previous versions it's not going to great or even worth it at all to be honest. Even the blurb for it says that only the Final is in full so what you'll prob end up getting is very brief highlights (could be just the tries) from the other games.

Minus the best part of the moves for each try. Expect to see just Luke's pass to BOD for the try against Cardiff for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Apparently there's another DVD made by Leinster coming out in the next few months, which is not a HEC roundup type thing. Don't have any other info on it.

danthefan wrote: »
    Apparently there's another DVD made by Leinster coming out in the next few months, which is not a HEC roundup type thing. Don't have any other info on it.

Mr. DC is being quite aloof about the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I just don't understand it.

How difficult could it be to just include a couple of other DVD's with every game (or at least QF, SF and Final). It would require no editing / production. It would turn this DVD into a "must have" for every leinster support.

Instead, every year, they through out this crap which gives you about 5 minutes of viewing plus the final.

When Ireland did the grand slam the DVD had each game in full. (I never got bored of watching that France game).

First block of fixtures

Scarlets A
    Dragons H
    Treviso A
    Edinburgh H
    Connacht A
    Munster H
    HEC 1
    HEC 2
    Munster match is already confirmed for the Aviva

• Advertisement

much nicer start than we have

1 year deal for Luke, Roux and Goodman

Goodman is a NZer utility back and placekicker
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/10121.php

Hopefully goodman is as canny a signing as White was both were captains of NPC teams before coming to Leinster. I'm not really sure what positions he plays but I was calling for a utility back since we will be missing a lot of backs at the start of the season between injury and international duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Delighted about Luke, finally nailed down. Obviously the condition he's in forces the one year contract, but hopefully hell be in a better position this time next year.

Great news for Luke, glad he hasn't been left swimming.

Goodman was under the radar wasn't he? Didn't see his name mentioned at all. Anyone know anything about him?

Also, love the pic of Roux, hahah couldn't get a better promo pic really. Also sits nicely with JS's descriptive terms:

"Quinn is a physically imposing forward with a burgeoning reputation in South Africa"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Delighted to get Luke nailed down. I'd imagine the 1 year contract is advantageous to him, gives him a year to stay injury free and have a stellar season to possibly earn back his central contract.

• Advertisement

19466.jpg

Andrew Goodman.

He looks like a fairly big unit, standing at 6'2". I haven't seen any other stats about him though. I take it he'll be helping us out at 12.

With Luke and EOM out and Berquist gone, it makes sense to bring cover in.

Happy enough with Goodman coming in. He's a like for like replacement for Berquist. We're a little thin on 10/12 players when everyone is away for internationals so I assume he'll fill in as required and will be coming relatively cheap. Only a 1 year deal too so he'll be playing for a contract. If the younger players don't come through or Goodman doesn't deliver, it also allows Leinster the option of making a big signing next season in advance of the new rulings being introduced (if they do come in at all) and securing a centre to fill the hole that's about to be left by BOD/Darce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

so the 1 year deal for Roux is confirmed. Not really sure what to make of it. If he really is just looking to stay for year I don't really see the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

so the 1 year deal for Roux is confirmed. Not really sure what to make of it. If he really is just looking to stay for year I don't really see the point of it.

Signing him for one season makes little sense if it’s being looked at from what he can bring to the table this season. After the disasters that were EOD and Sykes I would presume this is a “see how it goes” signing, at the end of this season if both parties are happy with how it’s going they’ll sign him up on a longer term deal. I think it makes sense to both sides in the long run but it probably will do very little for Leinster’s current top quality second row shortage.

It will be interesting to see if either of Roux and Denton are seen as instant starting/bench options for bigger games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement