Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tribes: Ascend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Paid €23.99 for one of the gold packages.

Funny thing is if I walked by the game in a shop I probably wouldn't have bothered to pay that for the game in the first place.

I had previously bought Tribes Vengeance years ago but I never stuck to it.

Unlocked and upgraded the Technician class and having a hell of a time with this. Only level 4 or 5 but so much fun.

Rhinos69 if anyone wants to add. Be cool to get a good team together get some team play going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Username: shadowhearth ( shocker, I know! :) )

I have to say I am really loving the moderm free to play model. I would not have gotten this game at all, but after trying it like this, I am really hooked. I bough that 10eu ish worth of gold just to say thank you to developer and I am prety sure I will spend few more quid on it!

Had a class moment today. Some fella was going fast with flag amd I got I'm parallel line with him. We bout were going so fast, but I was turned all the time at him as I tried to shoot him. I did not even see where we going lol. I am surprised we did not hit any wall or something! Was really cool and mindless moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

After a hiccup of not being able to install it (kept failing to authenticate thus uninstalled itself), I changed the install directory and I was good to go.

Was a bit intimidated hopping into this. Haven't played the fast-paced games like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 in about 10 years and thought I'd be destroyed for my first hour or so but it didn't take me long to adjust to it. I'm averaging around the top 5 in most games.

Loving it so far, probably on the fact that it brings me back to those days of flying through a game at such a fast pace. My shooting is still pretty wonky where I can't shoot for shìt unless I have a grenade launcher-like weapon.

CTF is definitely my cup of tea since I've gotten quite good at capturing flags. Love that feeling of skiing through the level and grabbing the opposing team's flag at 150kmh, whizzing by everyone's fire and capturing them off-gaurd. Fantastic adreneline buzz when you do grab it and you know about 6 guys & 3 turrets are unloading their clips on you and you hope you won't die just inches away from your own flag.

Equally heart breaking when you're going at the same speed and miss the flag by a nanometre and have to do a U-turn............if you haven't been blown to pieces by then.

Ah, definitely brings me back to the good ol' days.

My username is Duggy747 if anyone wants to add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I know the feeling of missing the flag so well!

I'm grimebox surprisingly

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Fantastic adreneline buzz when you do grab it and you know about 6 guys & 3 turrets are unloading their clips on you and you hope you won't die just inches away from your own flag.
    True that! Just had a few lovely games there, getting those speedy flag grabs (especially the ones, in TDM, that involve robbing the flag out from under an enemy's nose) are oh so satisfying!

I just managed to get a nice cap on Drydock* - zipped through the enemy flag post at ~150KM/H, dropped a grenade behind me because a Light Turret was annoying me (some eejit stepped on it instead :D). Just as I got outside our base, I spotted an enemy making a very daring jog towards our flag - I managed to hit the fecker about half a sec before he nabbed the flag and blasted him off our base platform before making the cap. It's pretty amazing how the speed of the game makes even the simplest things feel so incredible :D

*Is Drydock the grassy CTF map with the big mountain in the middle? I can't remember most of the map names :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Username Dermighty

Looking forward to giving this a go when it installs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Technician Class is win :) Turrets score me so many kills and streaks - depending on the map you have 2 covering the flag or one at the flag and one at the generator. Then just keep things repaired, call in an inventory station when you've got the credits and upgrade the base defences when you can. I'd love to be able to upgrade deployable turrets too, but that may be a bit too OP - they seem to do pretty well as is :)

When do you find it useful to call in inventory stations? I would have thought the money was better spent on upgrading structures

well i had a lot of fun when i started, but looks like everyone got way better at it then me, because i play it only now and then in short burst for half an hour.i got murdered yesterday! i played deathmatch mostly, but started CTF. feck that... turrents just kill me like a fly.
    on the other hand i did snatch the flag today and brought it back home. the damn speed i had ffs! was awesome! :D

after this game MW3 feels like BF3 for me and BF3 feels like Chess master 2000 :D

• Advertisement

I have to say I am really loving the moderm free to play model. I would not have gotten this game at all, but after trying it like this, I am really hooked. I bough that 10eu ish worth of gold just to say thank you to developer and I am prety sure I will spend few more quid on it!

I can't say I agree with this. I liked the original method of selling most things which is a one time purchase. I do not like the direction gaming is going one bit. Even unlockables drive me mad. It seems to be just a way to keep the gamer playing just to unlock various things rather than enjoying the game itself. I will never use some of the weapons in this game because of this. I prefer starcraft 2's approach where you can play online only on certain maps and using only one faction for free. You still get the full game experience to an extent.

I had a funny moment earlier where I was in the air taking out some guy directly above me with the technician SMG. Once he was dispatched I looked down only to see myself on a direct collision course with another enemy speeding along. Perfect chance for a melee. Just as I hit the ground I attempted to melee him only to realise it was my own shadow...! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Download it today after watching TB for weeks playing it, jaysus it's great fun.
    username: Craig82

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Download it today after watching TB for weeks playing it, jaysus it's great fun.
    username: Craig82

i play it every day at least for few matches. i had today awesome 2 matches were i just dominated! got like 2k XP, without the "first win of the day" lol. Its like my bolts were landing perfectly, i was shocked my self! :D

the thing is the kills in tribes are very satisfying. when you pull off some which was 1 in 1000, you just go WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Best class???

I'm just using soldier at the moment

Best class???

for me its pathfinder. mobility is a key for me in this game, i can jump circles around heavy guys. best thing try out and see which you like most, as each of them have advantages and weak spots, all classes have their role too in CTF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Best class???

Soldier is great in arena, i use tech and pathfinder in ctf games, sometimes raider if i'm going gen killing. Really is whichever floats your boat, every class has a purpose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

playing this a fair bit also :) really only play ctf, as I like playing tech, and infiltrator. Snipe a bit too

Wossack wrote: »
    playing this a fair bit also :) really only play ctf, as I like playing tech, and infiltrator. Snipe a bit too

I can't snipe to save my life. You have to get multiple direct hits to get a kill. Plus I find camping boring. Any particular way to play this class to make it more exciting?

The multiple hits coupled with regenerating health makes it tough alright. Though glad it is really - maps are so open, if there was CS still sniping going on, it'd be an awful game..

Picking off the flag carrier from across the map is particularly satisfying though :)

Jammer is good, dropped/hiden near the generator - it breaks cloak, and makes infiltrators cry :P can have 3x claymores deployed also

damn i love this game. anyone still enjoying it? i am still stuck with path finder as i just love bolt launcher :D got my first 100k xp and bough assault rifle, its a shame it is burst fire :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-16-tribes-ascend-review

EG review seems to be written by the games biggest fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I am so, so bad at this game.

damn, i had a few shots, that made me go: **** YEAH!!!! all out loud :D

satisfaction is unreal when you pull of one of those awesome kills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My pc couldnt handle this a all , have to till my gaming rig comes :pac:

My pc couldnt handle this a all , have to till my gaming rig comes :pac:

is it really so demanding?! i though it is quite low recourse game.

anyway, i bough coins worth 20£. i got that 30 days boost too, which makes a freaking amazing difference in XP farming! havent spend a single coin, i will keep them and make the best use of that boost! Just by doing "first win of the day" in team deathmatch you get 4k++

need unlocking that stuff ffs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

anyone still enjoying it?
    Most definitely, although the new Capture & Hold mode is a bit crap :\ I've been too impatient to save up for any weapons - I'd like to try the Bolt Launcher in a proper game but I keep spending money on Pathfinder/Soldier upgrades :P

Argh, now I want a game of Raindance CTF - such a lovely map for skiing and inevitable hilarity when I make a bad approach for a flag cap and kill myself by smashing into the flag tower :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I play as Madramoor, mostly as Techie, Raider, Jug, Doomie or Inf

Capture and hold isn't great unless you have a team with a clue, but if you are lucky to have a good squad then it is a great crack.

Every now and again you get a refugee from COD who tries to boss everybody around and gets upset when he is ignored, I particularly enjoyed the genius who was getting upset at a couple of Jugs when we were spamming our own gen room with MIRVS to deal with a plague of infs & Raiders, as he didn't realise that we were not blowing up our own gen!

I was lucky enough to be in from the closed beta so I have all of the classes and most of the weapons unlocked, I think the key is knowing when to change class during the game, most players seem to stick with one class/weapon combo for the duration. A good example is the techies who insist on trying to defend against infs and raiders in the gen room and just get constantly killed, a quick change to raider to light up the infs for everybody else can make the difference or a change to Jug with MIRV can clear out most indoor maps fairly quickly.

A quick raid as a Brute going down in a blaze of fractals can crack open a strong defense for long enough to allow in the rest of the team and tie up half the enemy team.

The right class or combination of classes at the right time makes a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Really enjoying tribes so far. Played a lot as pathfinder just swooping in on flags but iv changed to Jug since no one seems to play that class on ctf. I usually go after turrets and give support to whoever has the flag.
    Still finding my feet with the classes so i haven't spent much on upgrades until i find my best role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I find that I go through phases of Attack/Defense.
    At the moment I am really enjoying playing support with Techie and figuring out the best placement for turrets along the approach/escape routes from flag grabs. You really need a raider mixed in with every couple of techies to keep the enemy infs under control if the other team is any good.

Doomie with mines is a good option on some of the more open maps, just dropping the mines in the path that a flag grabber takes to avoid your shield or an inf uses to sneak into a gen can give good results. Sometimes you can get lucky with by dropping a mine or two as soon as a someone comes in close to duel and then moving off slightly, the doomie armour is more than enough to allow you to vary your distance from the mines so that the enemy circles into them while your chaingun spins up.

The Jug is much more enjoyable when you unlock the LMG secondary weapon it is great for chopping down pathfinders in a hail of bullets as they try to dance a circle around you just out of shotgun range :-), the MIRV is great for area denial near a flag or gen, a couple of jugs can keep the air sparkling for quite a while!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finally had a proper go last night. Really impressed with it. Looks and feels great. Really looking forward to hooking up with some boardsies!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can you create clans or groups? Would be handy to automatically get placed into games with other boardsies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't think it has Clan support yet, but I'm sure that's the sort of thing they'll want to incorporate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kiith wrote: »
    Can you create clans or groups? Would be handy to automatically get placed into games with other boardsies.
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/16/idle-musing-the-joy-of-single-serving-allies/

I was waiting for a chance to link this ;)

Damn I love this game. About 90% of my play time goes on tribes now!

I need to buy one more hdd for recording. Some shots I had pulled off we're dam pure sex!

is anyone here named - irishKARMA? :P

well i guess only my post again :d

for the first time i went in to my profile and i got a bit shocked...

i played 25hours already.And I only started putting some time into to it only lately!

1496 kill
    733 assists

96% played pathfinder :D

btw plasma rifle is a fecking noob tube by cod standartsx10 :mad: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

New update today, allowing for custom servers.

Only started playing a few days ago (UtherDoul), really enjoying it though.

Oddly enough, found I've mainly been playing Juggernaut and Technician.
    No idea why, in TF2 I was generally a Demoman or Engy.

Oh, hang on ...

I sort of hate that update. Decking plasma guns is a proper dumb arse weapon :(

I still play team death match most. I love the dog fights. Really sick of hitting my face at heavy classes On flag.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok game, far too many times when its just a huge bunnyhopping spam or should i say ski/rocket jumping spam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dcully wrote: »
    Ok game, far too many times when its just a huge bunnyhopping spam or should i say ski/rocket jumping spam.

... say what ? lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I sort of hate that update. Decking plasma guns is a proper dumb arse weapon :(

I still play team death match most. I love the dog fights. Really sick of hitting my face at heavy classes On flag.

Plasma guns are annoying alright.

Playing around with Infiltrator a bit, it'll be more fun when I stop blowing myself up.

Dcully wrote: »

That's the fun part! I'll take tribes bunny hoping which makes sence over any moder shooter bunny hopping.

It's still something awesome when you are chasing someone at 200km/h and not even watching where you going, because you are to busy dogfighting with someone on your left 20 meters away.
    So far only tribes makes me go: " oh ****!!!! That's was a shot and a half!!!! " I need one more hdd for recording :(. I had so many epic kills.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Magill wrote: »
    ... say what ? lol.

Just not my cup of tea is all, thats what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Enjoy this enough to maybe put some money on it, tribes 2 was the first game i played online.

How much money have people put into this so far, i keep being fixated on the VIP xp bar you can see and.

what did you buy if you did get some gold.

bought one of the parks, that came with a 30day booster

unlocked all the classes initially, and a couple of weapons here and there. Regret some of the purchases though - theyve since come out with new stuff, that I would have much prefered to have unlocked... c'est la vie

Varik wrote: »
    Enjoy this enough to maybe put some money on it, tribes 2 was the first game i played online.

How much money have people put into this so far, i keep being fixated on the VIP xp bar you can see and.

what did you buy if you did get some gold.

i payed once that 7.99£ when i started. so i just bough few items just to start off as i really enjoyed game and i felt like givinf something to developer. now i bought that 23£ ( i think ) pack. which gives 3k gold and 30 days xp boost. still got 3300 gold and havent spent it as i am making the best out of XP boost.
    Vip gives a nice little bit of xp which is nice and double XP makes a huge difference. i already bought 1 100k weapon and i am on 88k already in less then 6 days by just playing a few matches every day. with xp boost and vip first win of the day in team death match gives me 4.5k xp. then around 700-1000xp per match of team death match.
    i will keep gold for somnethin i really want and i dont really want to spend it now as XP is going up very damn fast with boost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I installed this last night. Hopefully I'll get to try it out tonight. It looks very interesting!

5uspect wrote: »
    I installed this last night. Hopefully I'll get to try it out tonight. It looks very interesting!

It's a good game, but you need to be patient in beggining, before you learn all ins and outs. You will get to the stage where you will know 2-3 seconds before hand that you majorly ****ed up and will be dead. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i payed once that 7.99£ when i started. so i just bough few items just to start off as i really enjoyed game and i felt like givinf something to developer. now i bought that 23£ ( i think ) pack. which gives 3k gold and 30 days xp boost. still got 3300 gold and havent spent it as i am making the best out of XP boost.
    Vip gives a nice little bit of xp which is nice and double XP makes a huge difference. i already bought 1 100k weapon and i am on 88k already in less then 6 days by just playing a few matches every day. with xp boost and vip first win of the day in team death match gives me 4.5k xp. then around 700-1000xp per match of team death match.
    i will keep gold for somnethin i really want and i dont really want to spend it now as XP is going up very damn fast with boost.

Got the 3k one just there, only have 700 left but will likely leave that along as there's nothing i want any more that badly.

All the minor stuff i can now buy after a match and the things i did spend the gold on were the 100k stuff like the heavy bolt launcher for the doombringer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah I'm ****e at it but I'm still hooked. Excellent game.

Varik wrote: »
    Got the 3k one just there, only have 700 left but will likely leave that along as there's nothing i want any more that badly.

All the minor stuff i can now buy after a match and the things i did spend the gold on were the 100k stuff like the heavy bolt launcher for the doombringer.

thats what i am saving for now! heavy bolt launcher! i love pathfinder and bolt launcher. i wasted my first 100k on path finders assault rifle :( i did not realised it is burst fire! complete crap :(

95k xp now, so 5k more for my heavy bolt launcher hihi! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement