Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers FC lodge papers to go into administration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭RoryMac

PauloMN wrote: »
    Estimated tax due since Whyte/White took over now closer to £15m:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2012/02/24/rangers-in-crisis-unpaid-ibrox-tax-bill-since-craig-whyte-s-takeover-jumps-to-15m-86908-23762918/

This is just astonishing. The more I read about this club, the more I think it's getting closer to being liquidated. A few weeks ago, I'd never have thought liquidation was a possibility. It's really beginning to look like a possibility now, unless someone will step up to the plate and throw a hell of a lot of money in.

If these claims against Whyte/White are true, he needs locking up.

I think everything Whyte has done since he took over has pushed them closer to liquidation, the club was firmly in the HMRC sights prior to the take-over so not paying PAYE & VAT was suicidal.

I believe Whyte's plan for the club was liquidation which could allow them to regain control of the revenue streams sold off under his and Murray's ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

He actually has the balls to tell people he'll be back at Rangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

So how much has each of my fellow bears pledged to saverangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I want to know why it isn't savetherangers?

Total would be around 5m so far, not counting the obviously massive amount of pledges from our good friends in green and grey :cool:

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Total would be around 5m so far, not counting the obviously massive amount of pledges from our good friends in green and grey :cool:

Out of interest how do they know that figure isn't counting fake pledges?

Because they didn't count the -75.000.000 posted earlier ? :pac:

It's an estimate obviously, but I think it does give a fair overview that fans are willing to chip in if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

I happen to know a few people who pledged 5k each. Hope they're good for it :D

They really should have used a way where people would have to register as Rangers fans first or something, that site is just asking for fake pledges.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's an estimate obviously, but I think it does give a fair overview that fans are willing to chip in if necessary.

Seriously, don't kid yourself. Even assuming only genuine pledges have been counted, how much of that money do you think could actually be realised?

You would be doing extremely well to get even 5% of that in actual money from fans. That would cover around a week of the interest you guys are being charged for unpaid taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

how much have you pledged though? I'm in for 75,000 so far

• Advertisement

A far better scheme would be if you organised a petition to the Administrators requesting them to invalidate all season tickets and allow you all to pay at the gate.

Instead of just sitting around setting up websites and pledging imaginary money which is open to abuse who not actually go and do something which might actually help.

Were there many volunteers with buckets around Ibrox at the last game collecting from the fans? £5 from every fan would have raised enough to match what White/Whyte got for the Arsenal shares.

And do what, hand over the money to Whyte/The administrators ?

Paul Murray is meeting with them to talk about a possible take-over of the club, until there is no more information about that (Or possible other offers) there's not much use in collecting money now.

The website was a mere indication to see, if necessary, if the fans would be willing to give money.

Make of that what you will, I'm certain that if asked many of the fans would be willing to donate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I've pledged thousands

Aye, and your pledge will be weeded out, as will most of the timmy ones ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The "Rangers" pledges will be very reliable information :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

how?

Just found another 5k I can give :D

bobmalooka wrote: »
    how?

Just found another 5k I can give :D

Because most of them come from 'SeanBhoy1888FTQ' or something like that, I'd assume :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I've pledged thousands
    Good job Fenian Army.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Because most of them come from 'SeanBhoy1888FTQ' or something like that, I'd assume :D

Oh right, so they only counted the "BillyLoyal1690FTP" ones so? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Dempsey wrote: »
    The "Rangers" pledges will be very reliable information :rolleyes:

for every 5k a celtic fan falsely donates a rangers fan will donate 10k :D;)

• Advertisement

Read this today and found it interesting, thought some here might like to read it, so, as the good folks over at saverangers.com will tell you, I'm a very generous man, I decided I'd share.
    EUROPEAN EXAMINER END OF WEEK COMMENT:

"Goodbye, goodbye, you were the Billy Boys"!

So let me get this right, with Rangers in administration and in total and utter disarray, we now have the likes of First Minister Alex Salmond and Glasgow University Professor, who is involved in Catholic teacher training, Robert Davis, referring respectively to Rangers as "part of the fabric of the Scottish nation" and a "cultural focus".

My question to those from politics to academia to beyond; please do tell what history, tradition, culture we are talking about? Please do explain the detail of this "fabric" and "cultural focus"?

Let me give an anecdote for insight for anyone coming late to the thing which we know as Glasgow Rangers. Growing up in the 1980s it was natural to play football with other boys and girls on the street, in which there were more Aberdeen and Dundee United tops than Rangers, due to the two former, the New Firm, being European powers and the latter being mediocre. However, on meeting up one night one of the Dundee United supporting boys turned around to my brother and myself and told us he was not playing with “a Fenian”. It not being the usual language of a New Firm fan, it was obvious something had happened? Ah yes, he had just attended his first Rangers match under the leadership of Graeme Souness!

So let me ask again, what is this tradition, culture, history, we are talking about? Again, please do explain the detail of this "fabric" and "cultural focus"?

No more than 8-years-old, returning from visiting relatives in Glasgow and cramped into a two-hour train journey, packed with post-match Rangers fans who were reminiscing about the recent away European match in Dublin. The talk was not about the game but about attacking Dubliners, invading homes and ripping down Rosary Beads from walls, etc, etc, etc. One part of the two-hour-hate-spew, which has never in 30 years left me, was the scholarly argument over Terry Wogan and Gloria Hunniford. In essence, Mr Wogan was “a f***ing Fenian”, while “f***ing Fenian Hunniford” was a case of mistaken identity as she was really Glorious Gloria, a good Protestant – or at very least “no a f***ing Fenian”!

Those same grown men should not have been talking like that, full stop. Those same grown men should not have been talking like that in front of strangers, full stop. Those same grown men should not have been talking like that in front of a mother and her two small children, full stop.

And as we left the train that night, with half of the same group disembarking at the same stop, it is only now you realize they knew who we were and what they were doing. They knew we were part of the local five per cent Catholic population. But to bully and intimidate and dominate is part of their DNA. They might as well have said that for every fiver we spent on train fares they would spend ten!!

So, let’s try again, exactly what is this history, tradition, culture we are talking about? And again, please do explain the detail of this "fabric" and "cultural focus"?

But of course that is all in the pre-Mo Johnstone-ok-now-lets-sign-Catholics-not-because-bigotry-is-wrong-but-because-we-need-to-to-win-trophies days?

March 2011, as now a proud father with small children who are starting to wake up to the beauties of football. Flicking on the television excitedly to watch the Scottish League Cup Final, a Glasgow derby between Celtic and Rangers, we had all been reassured by the SNP Government that the authorities were now prepared to clamp down on “sectarianism” – aka. anti-Catholicism.

However, it was, to put it simply, a 120 minutes of reality hate-TV, in which the majority of the 25,000 Rangers fans - not this mystical minority which I oft hear - were forced to sing songs aimed at my small children for having the temerity to be “a Fenian”!!!

And for the record, unless one was seriously opposed to gay dance culture, the iconic Depeche Mode anthem “I Just Can’t Get Enough” being belted out by the Celtic support would, in all honesty, struggle to get into any songs-that-are-banned list….

To add insult to injury, we then had the leading SNP Governmental Minister, laughably the then Justice Secretary, thanking the fans by saying: “This was the showpiece final everyone wanted to see, and a great advert for Scottish football…(the) fans contributed to a memorable occasion”.

So let’s try one more time – what is it exactly we are talking about when people refer to Rangers’ history, tradition, culture? For the final time, please do explain the detail of this "fabric" and "cultural focus"?

Salmond himself, although now backtracking, even tried to claim it would be bad for Celtic and Scottish football. Alec my good fellow, you have just spent the most part of 2011 telling me that football and politics don’t mix! Why are you speaking on this?

Also, you have spent a large part of 2011 playing down the importance of football. Well, guess what Alec, I agree with you, for there are far more important things than football. For the sake of Scottish society it will be a great thing if Rangers descend into the abyss. I never ever want my children coming home and asking me tearfully, “Daddy, what’s a Fenian”?

With lack of public honesty, and with life being short, I have to be honest and starkly state that Rangers on their bigoted deathbed is good for Scottish society. And more specifically, good for the 16 per cent Catholic minority, a community which still lives with a legacy of vulnerability.

Why does Rangers matter so much on a sociological level? It is simple logic. The better Rangers are, the more people are attracted to watch them, the more they bring their children, and the more anti-Catholicism and anti-Irish Catholicism is normalized, encouraged and spread.

Let us not kid ourselves, Rangers’ history, tradition, culture has been a lightening rod, a generator and catalyst for hate towards an immigrant people. A disposed people. A people, at best, ignored. A people, at worst, despised..

But on the more trivial point, Scottish football will do well without Rangers. It is the Souness revolution, 1986 onwards, which destroyed Scottish football. It perverted the market to the point where Aberdeen, Dundee United – a club that is still 4-0 up against the mighty Barcelona when it comes to European competitive matches – and Hearts became what they are today. With their lavish spending, Rangers did not just steal the best players from these teams but also their support-base.

With the demise of Rangers, maybe these fans, and certainly their children, will return to the Pittodries, the Tannadices, the Tynecastles. Then there will be proper competition. And I for one will be pleased to simply curse other teams for beating Celtic on purely football grounds. But I’ll be pleased at a later date to remember, with fond memories, great non-Celtic teams, as I do with Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen and Jim McLean’s Dundee United.

What I’ll never do is reminisce about Rangers, a club which made my life growing up in Scotland, as an Irish-Scottish Catholic, that bit harder.

I am prepared to forgive Rangers for this scar on Scottish society – but only once an official apology is offered to the Catholic community in Scotland.

But what I am not prepared to do is foolishly forget the hatred – and I most certainly am not prepared to foolishly pay for the privilege of being hated with my taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yup thats it, I forgot the link. Was emailed that today, cant say I've ever read anything else on the site but I thought the article was thought provoking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just pledged £1,500 to the cause

the more they bring their children, and the more anti-Catholicism
    Didn't think there was anything wrong with that Mr Bitter. Get it up ya.

Anyway, I would rather the Rangers start again in division 3 than accept points punishments to get back into the SPL. It would be like old school in division 3. Going to awful wee grounds and winning every week. Would be great to be honest.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Didn't think there was anything wrong with that Mr Bitter. Get it up ya.

Anyway, I would rather the Rangers start again in division 3 than accept points punishments to get back into the SPL. It would be like old school in division 3. Going to awful wee grounds and winning every week. Would be great to be honest.

Ye start over, all your current players walk on freedom of contract. Imagine all the mercenaries you'd be hiring down there in Division 3 just be competing. Your new club wouldnt even be fit enough to quote Bill Struth's shít talk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Whats the point in competing if all you want is walkovers week in week out?

Ye start over, all your current players walk on freedom of contract. Imagine all the mercenaries you'd be hiring down there in Division 3 just be competing. Your new club wouldnt even be fit enough to quote Bill Struth's shít talk :pac:
    Just play ourselves back up again. Won't take long to get back into the top division again. Will be good fun.

Plus it would be interesting to see what the BBC and Sky think if we decided to go into division 3 and not take a points cut. No OF games, possibly no TV deals. The media would have little to talk about, which may harm their own jobs as they will have less to report. Would be amazing when you think about it. Division 3 here we come :)

Ya, good luck with that! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ya, good luck with that! :rolleyes:
    Cheers. I don't see what problem you would have with us going into division 3.

Advertisement