Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AVB sacked!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Another "fresh" start for Torres?!:eek:

I reckon he's partly to blame for seeing off 2 managers

If he just did his job and put the ball in the net, we wouldnt have this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The clique of senior players at Chelsea win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Another "fresh" start for Torres?!:eek:

I reckon he's partly to blame for seeing off 2 managers

If he just did his job and put the ball in the net, we wouldnt have this thread

That is just slightly simplistic logic.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

With Di Matteo staying on as manager in my mind it signals the return of Mourinho in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Cant see the Special One coming back to Stamford Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

SantryRed wrote: »
    The clique of senior players at Chelsea win.
    I agree with you on that, I think the Chelsea players went against him. It looked that way judging by their body language (and AVB's body language too). If that is the case, it will be a problem at Chelsea until there is a clear out of the players that are ruling the dressing room.

Feel for AVB, he had a great thing going on at Porto and left it for what seemed to be a very unhappy time at Chelsea.

I think there was a division of loyalties in this chelsea dressing room and when that happens the clock starts to tick for the manager. Phil Scolari had a similar problem with Ballack refusing to play beside Deco and Deco in turn referring to Ballack as 'the German'. Drogba also thought he could pick the team. Not so sure if AVB could get the best out of the players in any scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

cournioni wrote: »
    I agree with you on that, I think the Chelsea players went against him. It looked that way judging by their body language (and AVB's body language too). If that is the case, it will be a problem at Chelsea until there is a clear out of the players that are ruling the dressing room.

Feel for AVB, he had a great thing going on at Porto and left it for what seemed to be a very unhappy time at Chelsea.

Porto was a much smaller job TBF. His success at Porto didn't warrant him getting the Chelsea job. The job was to big for him.

He didn't have the man-management skills to deal with the the big players.

He should of handled a lot of situations better as wellIMO. We all no Lampard shouldn't be a confirmed starter every week, but the way AVB handled that situation was all wrong IMO.

Falling out with your senior players is always going to be disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Porto was a much smaller job TBF. His success at Porto didn't warrant him getting the Chelsea job. The job was to big for him.

He should of handled a lot of situations better as wellIMO. We all no Lampard shouldn't be a confirmed starter every week, but the way AVB handled that situation was all wrong IMO.

The real disastrous decision was associating himself with Chelsea in the first place. He should have stayed at Porto until a big job became available at a decent club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

AgileMyth wrote: »
    The real disastrous decision was associating himself with Chelsea in the first place. He should have stayed at Porto until a big job became available at a decent club.

This.

With that said, I don't think this is the end of him by any means, there's a lot he can learn from this experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Considering he already worked at Chelsea he probably thought he had a head start going there .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

He was always going to be undermined at Chelsea. You have players nearly the same age as the man who have egos that are hard to manage. He never had the power to control these players and I think at one stage he pretty much said the same in a different way.
    He will be better off without Chelsea and the clowns there. Good manager who deserved better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

This pretty much sums it up for me ....
    @georgina_turner: Chelsea make football feel seedy. A club that will pay £15m to buy a manager out of a project elsewhere and then won't buy his philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

AVB was out of his depth at Chelsea - he was a poor choice to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Chelsea are a basket case, will be amazed if they get a top level manager this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who is left for them?

I can only think of Capello, but not sure he wants to keep coaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Chelsea are a basket case, will be amazed if they get a top level manager this time.

Eh, i'm sure the salery isn't too bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

mixednuts wrote: »
    This pretty much sums it up for me ....

I hate the use of the word 'project' when it comes to football. It does my head in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Di Matteo in charge...

AKA Lamps and Terry in charge. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

606 seems to be providing a gathering for the seriously stupid wing of Chelsea fans who think it is all AVB's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

That's the common media fed opinion, like Suarez being a diver (Not saying he isn't btw), and Phil Jones being the best CB in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Also sacked over the phone supposedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

LOL at the way Chelsea is run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Well thats the 4th place wrapped up for Arsenal now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Fowler87 wrote: »

Nope, if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be worried about a rejuvenated Chelsea putting a run together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Hands off David Moyes Roman!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Blatter wrote: »
    Nope, if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be worried about a rejuvenated Chelsea putting a run together.

Race for top 4 will be exciting can see Spurs dropping off too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Race for top 4 will be exciting can see Spurs dropping off too

Spurs have Everton away next as well, could see them drawing or even losing that. They really don't deserve to fall out of the top 4 given how they've played this season but I could see them imploding. Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Another significant day for the fact that we have three chaps named Roberto managing in the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

The way I see it they have 3 choices. Steve Bruce is out of work, he's a players manager, he likes foreigner players and likes spending cash.

Then there is Steve Kean, he likes doing what he is told by the owners(and potentially Lamps, The Drog and Terry). Kean doesnt mind having players bought and sold without any say and he never complains even if you get rid of his assitant. He also speaks portuguese, he didnt manage there but he did play in Portugal, and Roman has always liked at bit of the mediterrian flair, a link with alot of his previous managers. He has experience with big african strikers - ie the Yak, and returning strikers to goal scoring form - ie the Yak and his transfer record isnt to bad - ie the Yak. He could be the man Roman wants as long has he can bring Yakubu.

Then there is Steve Staunton. He has international management experience, like Big Phil and Guus. He is currently the oppostion scout for Sunderland, a job he got before O'Neill was appointed so he maybe free to leave with Martins best wishes and no need for massive compensation. AVB was once an oppostion scout under Jose so by that reckoning Staunton is probably as good a manager but hasnt been given the chance. He is also used to dealing with difficult goal scoring midfielders - Stephen Ireland.

In summary I dont know who Roman will appoint but it will definitely be someone called Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

mikeym wrote: »
    Cant see the Special One coming back to Stamford Bridge.

Unfortunatly i can't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In order to save time and money, Chelsea have sacked their next manager too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

monkey9 wrote: »
    In order to save time and money, Chelsea have sacked their next manager too.

Danny Baker, is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I can really see a backlash against the so called "superstars" at Chelsea in the coming weeks if results don't turn .

Deserved IMO .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Any truth in the rumour Moyes has resigned??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭redarmy

cambo2008 wrote: »
    no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

redarmy wrote: »
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    no
    Oh,well that's cleared that up then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Moyes to Tranmere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

A V B
    Not going to Wembley
    Nobody marking young Kelly
    A V B, fuked again by King Kenny

AVB
    Goin out of the champions league
    Rafa won it with Stevie G
    A V B, you'll never be like King Kenny

Im not sure any manager wants to be as out of touch as a manager living in the 60s like Dalglish, let alone one of AVBs standing.

And Im a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

mixednuts wrote: »
    I can really see a backlash against the so called "superstars" at Chelsea in the coming weeks if results don't turn .

Deserved IMO .

There probably will be a turn around in fortunes for Chelsea, none better than if they were to beat Man City in a few weeks time, however that would just be papering over the cracks. There are too many senior players in that dressing room with too much power (i.e Drogba, Lampard etc). What AVB need to do was clean out all of them and start afresh, but he was never likely to get that time with Abramovich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Im not sure any manager wants to be as out of touch as a manager living in the 60s like Dalglish, let alone one of AVBs standing.

And Im a Liverpool fan.

Is that the out of touch manager that guided his side to two victories over AVB's Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the space of a week?

What football fan, let alone Liverpool fan, could possibily compare Dalglish's standing, accomplishments and managerial record to Villas Boas' in a demeaning fashion towards the Scot? Stunning comment.

Also, Dalglish wasn't even playing professional football in the 60s, let alone managing.

Some respect for the manager of the team you support showcased there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I know things weren't working but to not even give him a full season is ridiculous. How much has that cost Chelsea now? Like 30M or something?

Loltastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Blatter wrote: »
    Fowler87 wrote: »

I can't see it happening. What's going to change?

Di Matteo will play the same system and probably feel he has to play the stalwarts regardless of form so as not to rock the boat.

He's stuck with the same problems, like an erratic centre back and a declining Drogba.

Torres isn't going to find form and Sturridge will still be played out of position.

I thought Di Matteo looked out of his depth at the end of his West Brom tenure so I feel he won't fix anything.

I don't see Chelsea finishing in the top four.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

From the Daily Mail.
    At 1.15pm on Sunday, Roman Abramovich called together the dressing-room dissenters and blamed them directly for the dismissal of Andre Villas-Boas.

Chelsea’s owner had reluctantly fired his Portuguese ‘project’ after an emergency two-hour board meeting that ended at noon. Villas-Boas was told he was sacked after 27 League games and replaced temporarily by his assistant, Roberto di Matteo.

Abramovich personally told the players they were responsible for his demise and warned them there will be 'massive changes' at Chelsea in the summer. Villas-Boas was so consumed — some believe obsessed — with the job, he had even slept at the training ground in a Japanese-style pod on Saturday evening.

On Sunday morning, the former Porto coach had taken training, some warm-down work in the pool and technical detail on the training pitches in the light rain. By then, Abramovich, director Eugene Tenenbaum and chief executive Ron Gourlay had arrived with heavy security. Villas-Boas knew then the game was up and that he was to become the seventh ex-manager of the Abramovich era.

The 1-0 defeat at West Bromwich, together with Villas-Boas’ post-match comments demanding ‘300 per cent improvement’ from the players, prompted Abramovich to act, having previously defended his appointment despite Chelsea’s wretched run of results.

At around 10am technical director Michael Emenalo was summoned to Abramovich’s recently refurbished private residence at the entrance to the Surrey training complex. They spent two hours talking through the nuclear option — sacking the 34-year-old coach — and the question of who should replace him.

Abramovich is full of admiration for Villas-Boas’ drive and desire but was alarmed by his failure to unite a hostile dressing-room.

He holds the players accountable for the sacking and is angry at their refusal to submit to the methods the manager had used so successfully with Porto. There, Villas-Boas relied on his frontline of Falcao and Hulk to score 74 goals between them on the way to a remarkable Treble. At Chelsea, Didier Drogba and Fernando Torres have responded with 11 goals.

The sacking will cost Abramovich around £9million in compensation.

But compensation is no consolation to Villas-Boas for being beaten by the players after he mistakenly believed he could break up a side that has won three Premier League titles, three FA Cups and reached a Champions League final in the Abramovich era.

Of course, even success is no guarantee of survival under Roman’s rule. Carlo Ancelotti won The Double in his first season but told friends Abramovich made life ‘intolerable’ in the second.

The owner’s hands-on approach has been evident again recently. Villas-Boas was left shaken when Abramovich turned up to watch training the day before the 3-3 draw with Manchester United in the Premier League on February 5. The owner even asked for the tactics before the match and then spent six of the next seven days at the training ground observing Villas-Boas at work. The writing was on the wall.

By then he was already showing signs that he couldn’t handle a job he described on Friday as one of the toughest in world football.

When one of the players remarked that he looked ‘knackered’ after they had lost 5-3 to Arsenal in October, he responded by revealing that he had slept at the training ground — even though his family live moments away from Stamford Bridge in Chelsea Harbour.

He appeared so obsessed with pleasing Abramovich and carrying out his demands that he became a workaholic, spending 12-hour days at the training ground. His black BMW 4x4 was a fixture in the car park, first to arrive and last to leave as he fretted about the future.

At 6pm on Sunday he was still loading it up with technical data, packing years of research into the boot. He did not want to leave, but his failure to recognise just how seriously he had alienated the staff and squad is something he must address in his next position.

Villas-Boas fell out with reserve-team coach Dermot Drummy, criticising him for failing to accelerate players into the first team and then kicking them out of the main training building. Bizarrely, Drummy’s only line of communication with Chelsea’s manager was through a direct approach to assistant first-team coach Steve Holland.

In the dressing-room the players grew tired of his timekeeping, fed up of him monitoring their arrival some days from the balcony of his first-floor office.

Some started a game among themselves, flying into the car park as the seconds counted down to the scheduled arrival time. They would jump out of their cars with moments to spare, winding up the manager by acknowledging him with a sarcastic wave as they headed in to change.

Battle lines had been drawn, with the players challenging every aspect of Villas-Boas’ micro-management.

On the field they were failing to carry out his instructions, while his admirable attempts to field every question from the media were causing problems in the dressing-room.

They picked up on his comment that the Premier League title was beyond them when they drew 1-1 with Fulham on Boxing Day. Frank Lampard responded by admitting he ‘had the hump’ with the manager conceding the title and skipper John Terry claimed he would never give up until it was ‘mathematical’.

By then he had exiled Nicolas Anelka and Alex, two popular dressing-room characters. They were no longer welcome in the first-team building, could not use the first-team car park and Anelka was even excluded from the silver service Christmas dinner held at the training ground each year.

Villas-Boas admitted on Friday that it was difficult to make friends at a football club, clear in his mind that it was strictly a professional relationship with the players.

After this, it’s clear it was never professional. Just personal.

Interesting article, kinda feel sorry for the guy if there is any bit of truth to that piece. The players are just way too powerful.
    Imagine what Man City could be like in another 4 or so years. At least they dont have a RA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Eh, i'm sure the salery isn't too bad....

I suppose so. If you're a manager with 9 or 10 months to spare you could make a pretty good retirement fund from Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

jank wrote: »
    From the Daily Mail.

Interesting article, kinda feel sorry for the guy if there is any bit of truth to that piece. The players are just way too powerful.
    Imagine what Man City could be like in another 4 or so years. At least they dont have a RA.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it disgraceful that they would only show up with minutes to spare before training. That is really amateur stuff from some pampered individuals.

AVB probably could have handled it better too in all fairness though, but the wrong person has left the club this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I think at the end of the day, AVB paid the price for his lack of experience in dealing with these kinds of players, it will stand to him in future I guess and the compo is hardly bad, but even in that article it is ridiculous to say RA called the players to a meeting and blamed them personally for getting the manager sacked, just fcuking keep him then!

It is clear that AVB thought he was coming to the club for the long term and was trying to re vamp the club from the ground up, this process wasnt going to be easy and maintaining title challenges etc wsas going to be difficult while the process was happening.

Patience would have been excellent here from RA and I feel he would have actually achieved what he has been after for years, long term success.

He is too pally with the players, it is not just a crazy theory, plenty of players have spoken about being with him on his yacht/house etc, the manager must be between the players and the owner, not the other way around.

AVB will go on to have success elsewhere I think, I was critical of him myself as I think he is still tactically naive, but he is only 34 for God sake! Overall this makes Chelsea FC look like a joke, this will be 8 managers in 9 seasons? Real Madrid would be proud of that with the circus they have over there!

RA should have backed the manager 100% in this case I feel, the older guys at the club are going to be a problem for whoever comes in and tries to overhaul the squad. Their time is almost up and unlike a lot of good pro's they are resisting attempts to lessen their roles, this is understandable to an extent, but it has to happen one way or another.

The job of Chelsea manager now is almost as bad as the England job tbh, very very hard to win, Ancelotti should never have actually been sacked in the first place actually come to think of it. Still though, without RA bankrolling the club Chelsea are in trouble so I guess they have to put up with the owners corporate approach to football.

The LMA has come out and condemned him publicly, wont make any difference of course. I think he will still be able to attract top class managers due tot he wages and the knowledge that if it isnt going to well you will get a nice lump sum anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Since January 2011, Fernando Torres has had more managers than goals in the EPL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement