Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest, Hive, or Climote or other smart thermostat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

If your only way of controlling hot water is a manual tap, then no system can control your hot water separately. You will need to replace that tap with a motorised valve.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭ted1

l

Just to clarify - Climote doesn't have a monthly fee. It costs €36 per year after the first (free) year

So 3 quid a month ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭worded

I've two zones and use climote. I don't use the remote option I just control it in the house:

It's totally free from SSE and bird gas I hear.

I find I excellent

Go to you tube and type in nest climote for a comparison

Free is better than 36 per year but I hear its a superior product, and free

Climote tech support is free as well and 2 year guarantee

I've no affiliation with them

Tech support is in ireland.

Is climote an irish product ?

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    Climote tech support is free as well and 2 year guarantee

I've no affiliation with them

Good products don't require tech support

Plumber had never seen them before and zone 1 (heating ) stopped working.
    Rang climote and was speaking to someone within 2 mins for 30 mins. Went the through all the settings with me and they remoted to it as well.

They troubleshooted it with me and disabled the thermostat to rule that out.

Anyway they said all looked good but if it was a bad climote they would ship a replacement FOC. Alt they send a tech on site but fee if it wasnt their problem = fair enough. I opted for the plumbers sparks to check it.

Climote told me to tell them to swap the zones wiring to see if it was the climote.

Problem was a motorised valve the plumer had fitted had died.

The climote was not the problem. They helped me Diag the problem.

You sometimes need tech support and its important they answer their phones.
    Great product, great backup support / 2 year warranty

Plumber had never seen them before and zone 1 (heating ) stopped working.
    Rang climote and was speaking to someone within 2 mins for 30 mins. Went the through all the settings with me and they remoted to it as well.

They troubleshooted it with me and disabled the thermostat to rule that out.

Anyway they said all looked good but if it was a bad climote they would ship a replacement FOC. Alt they send a tech on site but fee if it wasnt their problem = fair enough. I opted for the plumbers sparks to check it.

Climote told me to tell them to swap the zones wiring to see if it was the climote.

Problem was a motorised valve the plumer had fitted had died.

The climote was not the problem. They helped me Diag the problem.

You sometimes need tech support and its important they answer their phones.
    Great product, great backup support / 2 year warranty
    A multimeter and a good hanyman should have troubleshooter it in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

dmca77 wrote: »
    I have mine on a single zone but you can wire it up to two zones and water heating.
    I purchased my first one in Maplins and my second one with amazon.

Have you heard of rad fans? These things have made a massive different to my comfort and my gas/oil bills.
    Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Where did you get those heater fan things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Tech support is in ireland.

Is climote an irish product ?

Yes Irish company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi, just to jump in on this thread. Looking at the salus it500, quick question about installation. I presume the boiler receiver in the pack is just wired in place of the current switch I have in the utility room for the boiler. (Its a two zone system with a combi boiler)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

cletus wrote: »
    Hi, just to jump in on this thread. Looking at the salus it500, quick question about installation. I presume the boiler receiver in the pack is just wired in place of the current switch I have in the utility room for the boiler. (Its a two zone system with a combi boiler)

Before you go for the Salus, check out their app. It's pretty terrible! Especially on Android. A friend has it and it's just awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

DGOBS wrote: »
    Yes, I have Hive operating an oil boiler, but it's not yet available to purchase as an installed unit for oil (should be shortly)
    Yes I control my hot water independently (using Hive and motorvalve)

Hi @DGOBS, can i ask where you got the hive. I recently purchased one off Amazon w/ self install. when i went to register it they said because it was off amazon it was meant for british gas and couldn't give me an account to use it remotely? I would have to buy from bord gais w/ installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭prochida

Looking for a Evohome installer in Cork. I am looking at installing this system in a 4 bed Semi with 12 rads and 2 kick space heaters plus the hot tank.
    I could theoretically buy the kits from http://theevohomeshop.co.uk and just replace the heads on my TRVs but I am entitled to 600 curios grant for heating upgrade and would be obliged to use a certified installer.

I may only start with the bare minimum and possibly add to it later.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭fuse

I have a 3 zone system (upstairs, downstairs, hot water).

Ideally would like to get a Nest, but I know they only cover 2 zones. But I was thinking that I'd be happy to have it control downstairs and then either the upstairs or hot water.

Upstairs is probably fine to put on a manual timer as the heating times would be pretty predictable.

I know Nest is supposed to learn and know when to heat your house, but I presume you can control the timing of it yourself as well?

Does it make sense to just put downstairs heat on a thermostat? Or should it be whole house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

A boards user reached out to me via PM for some info on my Netatmo and I thought it worth posting my reply here also, for anyone else's benefit.

I bought direct from the manufacturer, I think it was 179 euro with free delivery.

My setup is a mess, as I bought a house last year and the previous owner hadn't really thought it out very well.
    The house has all living/ dining/ kitchen downstairs and three downstairs bedrooms all on one zone. Upstairs is a separate zone (hardly ever used) and water separate again.
    I didn't really care re water and upstairs zones as I have solar for water and the odd time I use upstairs I manually boost it.
    So if you have one zone, or only want to automate one zone it really is the perfect solution IMHO. I had to supplement it with programmable TRVs which cut my usage in half (bedrooms on only in evening and mornings, living rooms and kitchen on by day only).

The thermostat itself is simple to install. I replaced a wired one, took maybe 15 minutes. What I really like about it is it allows unlimited on/off periods, none of the others offer more than 3 as far as I know. I control it from the app but it can be boosted from the thermostat itself. It has an e-ink screen instead of LCD display so long battery life. There's really not much to setting up the software.
    Program the times you want it on and the temp each time, positioning of the thermostat is obviously important.
    After two weeks it learns how long your house takes to heat up/ cool down etc and it offers you the chance to let it automate your heating subject to the timing/ program/ temperatures you've defined.
    The difference here is that lets say you program heating for 19 degree at 5.30 PM.
    In dumb mode the boiler will switch on at 5.30 and keep firing until it hits 19 degrees within your predefined tolerance (or until your ON period ends). It will keep the house at that temp as long as you've specified.
    In smart mode, the thermostat will have figured out how long it takes to heat your house and factoring in outside temp etc it will fire up the boiler at whatever time it has calculated so that your house will hit 19 degrees at 5.30...

Which mode you want depends on your lifestyle I suppose, it offers a balance between economy and comfort.

The thermostat gives detailed stats, time on/ off etc, and a monthly report of hours of heating used, exceptions (boosts/ away mode etc) and a comparison of the performance of your house versus similar profile houses in your region.

It also offers integration with IFTTT, so you can log your usage to Google Drive, or get push notifications when the thermostat is manually boosted or the temperature is manually raised.

I think that covers all the basics.
    Any questions give me a shout, will help where I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Looks like this house is going back to Electric Ireland to avail of a discounted Honeywell Evohome install of €1,200, payment plan, no recurring subscription for use, and their agent even mentioned an additional grant (not the €600 SEIA Better Energy Homes grant included in the price of €1,200):

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/smarter-living/multi-zone-heating

I need to look through this thread again, but from the research I have done in the past the Honeywell Evohome is head and shoulders above the rest, the crux of which is that a single radiator in any room can turn the boiler on when necessary, just heating that room, before turning it off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Anyone ever used smartzone.ie? They are offering 2 zones and hot water for 299 euro installed with no ongoing charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Any smart thermostats here that cant report back to its masters, online or cloud based please ?

I am looking for a smart system that can be controlled in a smart way BUT all end-to-end communication between system and myself, with no middle-man between ?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

dusf wrote: »
    Looks like this house is going back to Electric Ireland to avail of a discounted Honeywell Evohome install of €1,200, payment plan, no recurring subscription for use, and their agent even mentioned an additional grant (not the €600 SEIA Better Energy Homes grant included in the price of €1,200):

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/smarter-living/multi-zone-heating

I need to look through this thread again, but from the research I have done in the past the Honeywell Evohome is head and shoulders above the rest, the crux of which is that a single radiator in any room can turn the boiler on when necessary, just heating that room, before turning it off again.

Hi,
    Any updates / feedback on the move, installation, usage please !?
    Tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

Inspirehomeautomation.co.uk

Have had it in Galway for over 8 years - fab product and highly recommended for online control, flexible programming and reports.

Looking fwd to installing the new version into the new house we are moving to.

Small Company, responsive support and very feature rich - no ongoing fees.

Flawless operations for years.

Alex

Advertisement