Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Government wrings hands and says it can do nothing about insurance.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

blackwhite wrote: »
    Sweet jesus I'd never seen that site before!

Never mind the whiplash values.........

:eek::eek::eek:

That's f*cking ridiculous!

I've broken fingers 9 times playing rugby and GAA - 3 of the last 4 times I've bandaged and set them myself because I didn't want the hassle of spending 3/4 hours in A&E just to get two fingers bandaged together (the other time the bone had shifted marginally out of place - I'm guessing this would be a "medium" injury :rolleyes:).

How the f*ck is a government agency trying to say that a minor finger break causes you €13k of damages? Do they think everyone was wearing a diamond ring that also was broken?
    What if someone is self employed and out of work due to a broken finger?

Who's going to pay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A big part of why claims costs have rocketed is IMO due to injuriesboard.ie.

Go on to the site, there is an "estimate your claim" engine.

The starting point for a minor whiplash injury is up to over €14k, if that site is not an invitation to make false or exaggerated claims I don't know what is.

Its like something from Better Call Saul ffs!!

We should move to an all health expenses paid + your salary and expenses paid out for any time off work / expense you occurred + a nominal amount capped at 2 years of your salary on the date of the accident.

I have read through risk reports and claim demographic information bought by companies I've worked for before , and 80% + of PI claims come from a demographic of our society that 15k would be a hell of a lot of money to. Ofcourse they'd be foolish not to try their luck for such a 'windfall'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 batskat

Wow, I'll bet dozens of foreign insurers will see your maths and pour in to the country to mop up all our premiums.

Well Setanta from Malta saw the maths stuff $$$$ and coined it for few years .
    Then when the Injury claims which take average of 7 years to come to fruition came in Setantana were gone with the loot

Thats one way to skin the cat really rip them off and then take of to Pirate central Island Malta in the private jet with some Irish that helped set up the scam

Now they are making the car slaes scam with no insurance for death traps more than 15 years old to bump start the sluggish Motor car industy .

They had to find a replacement for the bad fuel idea which wrecked engines and made new car sales increase
    However it was creating too much heat for the Irish Government so they had to stop that scam .
    That meant the Wise guys got the Insurance industry cartel to bring in the 15 year old death trap car scam to increase irish car sales .

The problem is the Car Insurance cartel used it profits for bad investment or bad other things so they are breathing fumes even when the numbers show they should be making a good profit
    of course the Irish media cartel controled from Malta cant or wont tell you how this scam works when simple maths expose it like

The injuries story the injury claims are the problem dont stack up when you look the numbers .

Look the rest of the world Insurance industry and the accident stats and claim payout are very similar to Ireland
    So what kind of incompetence is the Irish Insurance industry doing to make probably more billion in policies payments turn to a loss they claim ?????

Hopefully the batskat dropping can revive the dead rat the car insurance cartel killed and hid from us that exposes the real truth where the Irish car insurance cartel is stuffing the loot .

Just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

batskat wrote: »
    Nice find buisness cat

There is also the 2013 numbers

Year No. of Awards Value of Awards
    2013 10,656 €243.46m

http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/Statistics/Statistics-2013/

I am fairly sure if I ran all the numbers we wont find any major spike in car accidents and payout ratios contary to general ideas out there in Boards or similar motoring forums

The interesting numbers are the average numbers which suggest strongly that car insurance is still a nice little earner contary to the crocadile tears the insurance companies give us

The numbers to look at are the car ownership ratio to injury payout accidents events .
    The stats for cars can be got from CSO on this link

http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2012pressreleases/pressreleasethisisireland-highlightsfromcensus2011part2/

Quote CSO " Car ownership among households continued its upward trend with 1.36 million households having at least one car in 2011 – an increase of 186,000 from 2006. "

Now simple maths if we assume that 2013 the car ownership was similar to 2011 lets estimate it at 1.4 million households have a car or two or more in 2013

If we take the injury payouts €243,460,000 for the year 2013 and devide it by 1,400,000 housholds with cars we get €173.90 per houshold

Using the worst case each houshold has only one car so we will say that there is 1,400,000 car paying out a average of €175 euros per year for car crash events that injure people with a payout .(In reality it is probably as little as €100 per car in Ireland is what we car owners pay out for injuries )

Now we can estimate that the average car insurance is about €600 per car .Some cars are more some are less . The cheapest third party only seems is €270

So If we asume that the third party componet of the Insurance is about €500 average ( reality is its probably €750 ) and the rest of the €100 is for other items like break down car recovery etc

That means we can say €500 euro policy multiplied by 1,400,000 the car Insurance industry has a total of €700,000,000 million in 2013 to play with .

We can infer from the fact there was 10656 injury apyments in 2013 and that means the €243,460,000 payment meant the average injury payment was €22,850
    Also we can see that less than 1 car in 100 or 1% per year has a crash event that has injury costs .It looks to be about 0.7% the normal international level for car crash insurance payouts from my memory

We can estimate for 2013 probably that most car crash events the cost to repair or replace cars trucks busses etc will be a lot less than the cost of the injuries .
    Numbers I am sure exist but for now I will do SWAG (Scientificaly wild ass guess) and say it 50% the cost of the injuries .
    So we take the €243,460,000 and devide it by 2 (probably should be more like devide by 4 )
    Then we get for 2013 payments out of metal replacement repairs and non injury claims =€121,730,000

Cash into Irish car insurance industry 2013 (estimate could be a lot more ) = €700,000,000
    Cash Payouts for Irish car insurance industry injury 2013 ........................ = €243,460,000
    Cash Payouts for Irish car insurance industry repairs/replace for cars 2013. = €121,730,000
    Cash Payouts for Irish car insurance industry repairs/replace &injuries 2013. = €365,190,000

gross profit for Irish car insurance industry (estimated could be a lot more )= €334,810,000

Operting costs for Irish car insurance industry(SWAG est could be a lot less )= €200,000,000

net profit costs for Irish car insurance industry(SWAG est could lot more )= €100,000,000

So a profit of €1 on every €7 taken at gun point from hapless Irish motorists is nice little earner for a profit level for the Irish car insurance industry .

Now of course if the Irish cartel car Insurance Industry used the profits from the car iinsurance for other non useful purposes like ganging up to take out other insurance competion then yes they can make a profit into a loss real quick and dig themselves into bankruptsy .
    However a few bungs to to few Irish Ministers and the Irish tax payer will have to bail out the incompent irish car insurance industry and pay higher premuims .
    "Do I smell a dead rat here that will become a Zombie rat to return to stink out the gaff Ireland Inc "

Just saying "Irish car insurance industry on the bones of thier Ar$e cry me a river "

Interesting post.

Some things you missed though.

Car insurers in Ireland do not just insure cars and cars alone.

They also insure property - houses, pubs, hotels etc.

In more recent times, Storm Darwin that buffeted the West Coast in January 2014 cost the insurance industry over €150 million quid in repair and replacement costs.

Source.

Thats a single event, over a couple of days.

Insurers also have to deal with public and employers liability claims.

Here are two examples of claims settled this year - €1.5m paid and €1m paid.

Heres another one from a couple of years ago when a woman was awarded €30k because she dove into the shallow end of a swimming pool and broke 2 teeth.
    Judge Awards Compensation for a Health Club Accident

A judge at the Circuit Civil Court has awarded a plaintiff €30,000 compensation for a health club accident after dismissing claims that the plaintiff contributed to the accident by her own lack of care.
    Thirty year old Timea Babos – a supervisor at the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin – was visiting the West Wood Club on a free guest pass when, on 13th November 2011, she decided to go for a swim after coming out of the health club´s sauna.
    Only intending to swim a few lengths, Timea dived head-first into the swimming pool. However, the depth of the water in the pool was only 1 metre 35 centimetres (around four feet) and Timea hit her face on the bottom of the pool – breaking her two upper front teeth.
    With nobody around the pool area to help her – Timea made her way to the club´s reception area still bleeding from the mouth to report her accident and complete an accident report form. Timea then went straight to her doctor´s surgery, where she was treated for her injuries and prescribed painkillers.
    Two weeks after the accident at the health club, Timea flew to Hungary to have crowns fitted to her front teeth and, on her return, she sought legal advice before claiming compensation for a health club accident.
    In her claim, Timea alleged that the health club was liable for her injuries as there were no signs warning of the shallow depth of the pool or a lifeguard on duty to prevent her from diving in. However, the West Wood Health Club denied its liability, and contested the claim on the basis that Timea had been negligent by diving into a swimming pool without first checking the depth of the water.
    With liability contested, the Injuries Board issued Timea with an authorisation to pursue her claim for compensation for a health club accident through the courts; and the case was heard this week at the Circuit Civil Court before Judge Jacqueline Linnane.
    Judge Linnane heard evidence from a forensic engineer supporting Timea´s claim that there were inadequate warnings around the perimeter of the swimming pool to indicate guests that it was unsafe to dive into the pool. He also told the judge that the swimming pool was unusual in design as it had a constant depth throughout with no deep end.
    The judge dismissed the allegations by the West Wood Club that Timea had contributed to her injuries through her own lack of care, and awarded Timea €30,000 compensation for a health club accident.

Or the girl that got €30k because she ended up with a 1.5 cm cut on her knee.
    Girl Awarded €30,000 in Cut Knee Sports Injury Claim

A teenage girl has been awarded €30,000 compensation in settlement of a cut knee sports injury claim after a previous settlement was rejected by a judge.
    Rhian Holohan (now 17 years of age) was playing in goal for Kentstown Rovers FC when – in June 2012 – she dived to make a save and cut her knee on a piece of broken glass that was on the surface of the Ayrfield United FC pitch.
    The game in the Dublin Women´s Soccer League was stopped so that Rhian could receive first aid treatment and she was taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, where her lacerated knee was cleaned and sutured under anaesthetic.
    Because of the depth of the cut, Rhian had to use crutches for support for several weeks. She experienced considerable pain from her swollen knee and was unable to play football again for several months. She now has a visible 1.5 cm scar on her knee.
    Through her mother – Anita Holohan of Kentstown in County Meath – Rhian made a cut knee sports injury claim for compensation against Dublin City Council, the Trustees of Dublin Women´s Soccer League and the Trustees of Ayrfield United FC.
    Liability for Rhian´s injury was accepted by the defendants and a settlement of €22,000 was negotiated. However, when the cut knee sports injury claim went to the Circuit Civil Court for the settlement to be approved, Mr Justice Raymond Groarke said that the settlement was not appropriate for the level of injury and asked the parties to reconsider the offer.
    Following further talks between the parties, the offer of settlement of Rhian´s cut knee sports injury claim was increased to €30,000 – a figure which Mr Justice Raymond Groarke found more acceptable. Judge Groarke approved the revised settlement of Rhian´s cut knee sports injury claim and closed the case.

http://www.injury-compensation.ie/news/

Hell, heres an example of just how the insurance industry is at the moment.

I could go on and on but Im sure you get my drift.

Im not saying the insurance industry is perfect, far from it in alot of respects. When I first started in the industry I worked in a call centre. I received many calls from people looking for a bit of discount from their premium and in alot of cases I saw as good business (claims free, average family car, 2 experienced drivers) leave the company because we couldn't compete with the likes of 123 at that time.

They (123) played a massive part in driving premiums down by offering stupidly low premiums in order to gain market share and they had to get a bail out from RSA to the tune of £200 million because they had so many claims on their books due to their aggressive sales strategy, and no money to service said claims.

There is also the small matter of Solvency II coming into effect from the first of January next. That means insurers have to have huge amounts of funds in reserves (double their estimated current claims reserves) to meet potential and existing claims.

All of that, on top of what you talked about in your post.

When you sit down and actually look at all aspects of insurance ie not just motor, then you get the full picture of the challenges it currently faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

For all those who are certain that insurance companies are just being greedy and making money hand over fist, the motor insurance industry as a whole made a loss of 175 million euro in 2013. This includes all their premiums and all the money they made on their investments.

The reason insurers are raising premiums is because they're making really big losses and nothing else, they can't be blamed for taking whatever actions they need to to stay in business.

The loss in 2013 represents a loss of 16% so easy to see where the average rise of 20% in premiums would come from

https://www.centralbank.ie/publications/Documents/Insurance%20Statistics%202013.pdf

• Advertisement

actuar90 wrote: »
    For all those who are certain that insurance companies are just being greedy and making money hand over fist, the motor insurance industry as a whole made a loss of 175 million euro in 2013. This includes all their premiums and all the money they made on their investments.

The reason insurers are raising premiums is because they're making really big losses and nothing else, they can't be blamed for taking whatever actions they need to to stay in business.

The loss in 2013 represents a loss of 16% so easy to see where the average rise of 20% in premiums would come from

https://www.centralbank.ie/publications/Documents/Insurance%20Statistics%202013.pdf

Facts have no place in here!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whiplash payout in England- 5 thousand, whiplash payout in Ireland- 15 thousand. Why is the payout 3 times the size? As everyone knows a whiplash claim is virtually impossible to disprove leaving it open to all kinds of abuse.

average claim award here for whiplash is 7-10k and 5-7 sterling in UK.

unsure where you got your 'news' from

they are comparible.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Doesn't include settlements outside the Injuries Board, many of them for 7 figures in the High Court
    Doesn't include damages to the cars themselves or other property they damage
    Doesn't include legal costs
    Not every car is contributing to the insurance pot. Uninsured driving is rife and your premium is loaded to pay for this
    I haven't paid anywhere near €1k for insurance in the last 20 years and neither have the majority of mature drivers. I doubt the average is at that level
    Every business has costs (labour & running costs). Insurers are no different

When I started driving in 2010 aged 17, I paid 950. Five years later and my renewal had gone up by 150 to 720. Madness, no ncb etc.

To think we are one of the safest countries in the world to drive in and our insurance is so high. Compare our premiums to the US...

Yes we have seen this PDF before in other threads and it sucks
    you need a PHD and a year to trawl through it for numbers

Forget the needle in the hay stack trick they do .

The motor and car Injury claims for 2013 were about €244.000,000
    So if the car insurance industry lost €175,000,000 that year 2013 then they got some other big hole in thier accounts they have hidden from us

Now what that hole in the accounts is if its war chest is over abused and used up or big fat cats asset stripping with huge annual pay cheugues is another story for another day (The dead Zombie rat story )

However the numbers tell us if instead the Irish car owners giving thier hard earned cash to Insurance companies to pay the Insurance costs for injuries there exists the keep it simple stupid solutions KISS "give the cash direct to injuries board "

If all the 1,400,000 Irish motorists in start of 2013 gave direct to Injuries board a fee of €175 euros they would have supplied the Injuries board all the cash they needed for 2013 .

The injuries board could then issue a third party insurance cert that covers only human injury claims .
    Then the Irish motorists would have had third party insurance for cheap compared to rip expensive Car insurance companies .

All motorists would pay the same flat rate so young people could drive lux barges for cheap .

Thats how some parts of the world do it like New Zealand which has a fuel component also in the mix .Its a flat fee and then fuel tax element

Those motorists that would want extras like fire and theft and comprehensive would then take out policies for those insurance needs from the car insurance industry .

Countries like South Africa do third party insurance through fuel and people get the extras with insurance companies .The funds from fuel tax aa few cents on every liter go to thier injuries board for human injury payments

Because the extras would not be compulsary like third party insurance there would be real competition in the car insuarnce industry
    Many irish car insurance companies would tumble overnight due to thier gross ineffiency due to protection from the irish car insurance Cartel for many decades .

However to get a "I am alright Jack " fat cat Minister in Irish government with a pair to take car insurance off the car Insurance industry who make a balls of it is non and **** all.

Many ways to skin a cat

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

So if the car insurance industry lost €175,000,000 that year 2013 then they got some other big hole in thier accounts they have hidden from us

Now what that hole is if its war chest over abused and used up or big fat cats asset stripping with huge annual pay cheugues is another story for another day (the dead Zombie rat story )

However the numbers tell us if instead the Irish car owners giving thier hard earned cash to Insurance companies to pay the Insurance costs for injuries there exists the keep it simple stupid solutions KISS give the cash direct to injuries board d

If all the 1,400,000 Irish motorists in start of 2013 gave direct to Injuries board a fee of €175 euros they would have supplied the Injuries board all the cash they needed for 2013 .
    The injuries board could then issue a third party insurance cert that covers only human injury claims .
    Then the Irish motorists would have had third party insurance for cheap compared to rip expensive Car insurance companies .

All motorists would pay the same flat rate so young people could drive lux barges for cheap .

Thats how some parts of the world do it like New Zealand which has a fuel component also in the mix .Its a flat fee and then fuel tax element

Those motorists that would want extras like fire and theft and comprehensive would then take out policies for those insurance needs from the car insurance industry .

Countries like South Africa do third party insurance through fuel and people get the extras with insurance companies .The funds from fuel tax aa few cents on every liter go to thier injuries board for human injury payments

Because the extras would not be compulsary like third party insurance there would be competition in the industry
    Many irish car insurance companies would tumble overnight due to thier gross ineffiency due to protection from the irish car insurance Cartel .

However to get a "I am alright Jack " fat cat Minister in Irish government with a pair to take car insurance off the car Insurance industry who make a balls of it is non and **** all.

Many ways to skin a cat

Just saying

Needle in a hay stack? If you even looked at the table of contents you'd know that the motor insurance revenue accounts are in table 15.

There are more claims paid by insurers than just injury claims so stop abusing the figures. Total claims paid out in 2013 by the motor insurance industry, as you can see from table 15 in my link, were 987 million Euro

• Advertisement

Now what that hole is if its war chest over abused and used up or big fat cats asset stripping with huge annual pay cheugues is another story for another day (the dead Zombie rat story )

However the numbers tell us if instead the Irish car owners giving thier hard earned cash to Insurance companies to pay the Insurance costs for injuries there exists the keep it simple stupid solutions KISS give the cash direct to injuries board d

Because the extras would not be compulsary like third party insurance there would be competition in the industry
    Many irish car insurance companies would tumble overnight due to thier gross ineffiency due to protection from the irish car insurance Cartel .

Many ways to skin a cat

Just saying

How many accounts do you need???

You are given cold hard facts, figures from the central bank no less, yet you continue to pull figures out of your hole to continue your frankly sad agenda against the insurance industry.

Like i said in the thread from the weekend that was locked, you are either a troll or ignorant, either way, there is little point trying to have any kind of conversation with you.

How many accounts do you need???

You are given cold hard facts, figures from the central bank no less, yet you continue to pull figures out of your hole to continue your frankly sad agenda against the insurance industry.

Like i said in the thread from the weekend that was locked, you are either a troll or ignorant, either way, there is little point trying to have any kind of conversation with you.

No I took the facts numbers from the supplied links for human injuries the real cost the Car insurance industry always blames for thier woes

I took number of cars from the CSO numbers

That snap shot exposes the LIES

The rest I ddint have time to look up but its chump change stuff not enough to explain where the loot is hidden

just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I think the "New" minister for transport needs to grow a pair, I have seen him comenting on other motor issues and noted he seemed clueless.

He's only the Face of the position, as are they all, they need advisors to give them the point to talk up, if they were experts in their respective positions they may become useful,
    e.g
    Enda was a teacher/headmaster, still cant debate in public,

Michael O'Leary, Businessman, knows what he's talking about/wants and does it.

Needle in a hay stack? If you even looked at the table of contents you'd know that the motor insurance revenue accounts are in table 15.

There are more claims paid by insurers than just injury claims so stop abusing the figures. Total claims paid out in 2013 by the motor insurance industry, as you can see from table 15 in my link, were 987 million Euro

I looked this table 15 thing a maze

Seems to me the top half is where it is as the bottom half is europe

Total premuims in for Ireland for car insurance industry is €810,603,000
    so my SWAG estimate 700,000,000 was close
    total claims out €750,723,000

That shows a modest profit for me

There is all sorts of other gunk there but that car Insurance industry is a series of onion rings and peeling back the layers to find where they hide the loot is way too much work

Of you go and prove it is some other story but seems to me they front loading something to shove down profits maybe as way to avoid company tax etc

With €810,603,000 premuims in and only claims of €244,000,000 for human injuries boards payouts seems to me they are making a balls of the insurance job or they are hiding a loss crater they built themselfs

Bets are the dead zombie rat is at the bottom of the loss crater they made

just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I looked this table 15 thing a maze

Seems to me the top half is where it is as the bottom half is europe

Total premuims in for ireland for car insurance industry is €810,603,000
    so my SWAG estimate 700,000,000 was close
    total claims out €750,723,000

That shows a modest profit for me

There is all sorts of other gunk there but that industry is a series of onion rings and peeeling back the layers to find where thye hide the loot is way too much work

Of you go and prove it is some other story but seems to me they front loading something to shove down profits maybe as way to avoid company tax etc

With €810,603,000 premuims in and only claims of €244,000,000 for human injuries boards payouts sems to me they are making a balls of the insurance job or they are hiding a loss crater they built themselfs

Bets are the dead zombie rat is at the bottom of the loss crater they made

just saying

If it is too complicated for you just read the grand total row on table 15 and look at the total income and total expenditure columns. The total claims paid by the Injuries Board do not make up the totality of claims paid.

Just sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Now what that hole in the accounts is if its war chest is over abused and used up or big fat cats asset stripping with huge annual pay cheugues is another story for another day (The dead Zombie rat story )

However the numbers tell us if instead the Irish car owners giving thier hard earned cash to Insurance companies to pay the Insurance costs for injuries there exists the keep it simple stupid solutions KISS "give the cash direct to injuries board "

Because the extras would not be compulsary like third party insurance there would be real competition in the car insuarnce industry
    Many irish car insurance companies would tumble overnight due to thier gross ineffiency due to protection from the irish car insurance Cartel for many decades .

Many ways to skin a cat

Just saying

My god you are financially illiterate but suffering, as my late father would say, from verbal diarrhoea. You may not be willing to accept it but, errors & omissions excepted, the results reported to the Central Bank are the results for that year. There is a single schedule on which each relevant companies income, expenditure and profit/loss from motor insurance business is shown. It's actually a useful table. There will be other underwriters, principally Lloyds syndicates, providing insurance in the Irish market on a "services" basis whose results are not shown

It may not fit your narrative but perhaps spend 10% of your energy addressing the actuality and you might realise that not everyone is out to screw you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

JustTheOne wrote: »
    What if someone is self employed and out of work due to a broken finger?

Who's going to pay them?

There's not that many jobs that a broken finger would keep you out of work.... especially if self employed.

And certainly not enough jobs that the average claim should be €13k.

Marcusm wrote: »
    My god you are financially illiterate but suffering, as my late father would say, from verbal diarrhoea. You may not be willing to accept it but, errors & omissions excepted, the results reported to the Central Bank are the results for that year. There is a single schedule on which each relevant companies income, expenditure and profit/loss from motor insurance business is shown. It's actually a useful table. There will be other underwriters, principally Lloyds syndicates, providing insurance in the Irish market on a "services" basis whose results are not shown

It may not fit your narrative but perhaps spend 10% of your energy addressing the actuality and you might realise that not everyone is out to screw you.

Exactly my point the tables dont show all the story
    Sort of like the car sales man sells you the car on a ballon payment and three years later you get the shock when the payments tripple

I dont need to learn to read this type of finacial gobbily gook my life is too short to learn all this cr@p

They are out to screw you .

If you have car insurance premuims and the renewal triples the cost for no reason that called raping you

The way I see it is simple .I cant go to insrance company and insure myself with a gun that I wont go nuts and shoot up the local shopping center .

However I can go go and get insurance for one ton item that at 60MPH can cause much carnage if i went nuts .
    However the car insurance isnt a option that i can take it or leave it .
    There is gun put to my head to pay this fee or else
    Having lived in countries where the system is differnt and often a lot cheaper I therefore resent the way the Irish car insurance Industry rips my face and more .

For me its simple if i gave the injury boards some small amount probaly less than 200 euros per year then I could be insured for death and injury third party .There would be no parsite car insurance company with fat cat boss on big payments ripping my face and then taking his cut for money sent to the injuries boards payments

However the Minister from the govenrnment will get thier exective board memeber pay packets in insurance or car industry or similar when they finish in the Government as long as they keep this car insurance scam going

So simple yes there is bucket load of parsitaical people from car insurance companies who make my annual costs for insurance way too expensive and governemnt that blocks any way to reduce these parsites

Of course the government wont act they got the gravy train and want to stay on it after they leave

However if you can expose the car insurance parasitical scam the government might be forced to act to save thier skins

just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

blackwhite wrote: »
    There's not that many jobs that a broken finger would keep you out of work.... especially if self employed.

And certainly not enough jobs that the average claim should be €13k.

Are you for real?

Plumbers electricians carpenters all need
    both their hands for work.

You could be out for weeks at a time.

You think they don't deserve compensation for loss of earnings?

You have no idea how hard it is to stay afloat been self employed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sort of like the car sales man sells you the car on a ballon payment and three years later you get the shock when the payments tripple

However if you can expose the car insurance parasitical scam the government might be forced to act to save thier skins

just saying

What part of the story do you think is missing?

I dont need to learn to read this type of finacial gobbily gook my life is too short to learn all this cr@p

So you admit you dont understand the figures presented and that your opinion is an uneducated one? That is honest at least i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Plumbers electricians carpenters all need
    both their hands for work.

You could be out for weeks at a time.

You think they don't deserve compensation for loss of earnings?

You have no idea how hard it is to stay afloat been self employed in Ireland.

Both my parents are self employed, but sure keep up with the personal accusations against someone you've never met.

I worked building sites whilst in college, and never heard of any of the above trades having someone take a day off for a broken finger (never mind the minor break referred to in the injuries board website).

Strap it to another finger and there's not a lot you'd be stopped from doing. I've broken fingers a number of times, and the only time it would have prevented me from doing any type of work was when it was more that a minor break, and was dislocated and needed a long splint extending 6 inches from the hand.

And after all that, a broken finger will, at worst, be healed after 5-6 weeks. if they've missed out on €13k in 6 weeks then they don't sound like they're struggling

But then, the amount of posters on here who gleefully make "sore neck" suggestions every time someone posts about a small accident on the motors forum shows that attitudes like yours are far from common, and shows exactly why insurance in this country costs so much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you have car insurance premuims and the renewal triples the cost for no reason that called raping you

The way I see it is simple .I cant go to insrance company and insure myself with a gun that I wont go nuts and shoot up the local shopping center .

However I can go go and get insurance for one ton item that at 60MPH can cause much carnage if i went nuts .
    However the car insurance isnt a option that i can take it or leave it .
    There is gun put to my head to pay this fee or else
    Having lived in countries where the system is differnt and often a lot cheaper I therefore resent the way the Irish car insurance Industry rips my face and more .

For me its simple if i gave the injury boards some small amount probaly less than 200 euros per year then I could be insured for death and injury third party .There would be no parsite car insurance company with fat cat boss on big payments ripping my face and then taking his cut for money sent to the injuries boards payments

However the Minister from the govenrnment will get thier exective board memeber pay packets in insurance or car industry or similar when they finish in the Government as long as they keep this car insurance scam going

So simple yes there is bucket load of parsitaical people from car insurance companies who make my annual costs for insurance way too expensive and governemnt that blocks any way to reduce these parsites

Of course the government wont act they got the gravy train and want to stay on it after they leave

just saying

Derry, is that you? We've been missing you around these parts.

So you admit to not bothering to even try and understand the facts.

But despite your self professed ignorance you still conclude that they are out to screw you.

Quality, Jed, absolute quality.

Please ring Joe Duffy, the number is 1850 715 815.

Ignorance is the champion on his show so you will find lots of equally misguided people that will pat you on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I find the number of polymaths working in the insurance industry absolutely amazing. Not only do they know enough about the insurance insurance to call everyone else thick, they know enough about medical, legal and other professions to be able to make comments/accusations without the same "you're only an ignorant thick pleb" comment applying to them.

Fascinating that "15 year old cars are killing machines" and "Citroen c5 dervs are high performance" came from the same industry. "We have watertight data to support the quote that was given to you" but the same cover can be got with the same company for half the price through a broker. In any other industry you'd say they were making it up as they went along, but surely such intellectual colossi would not lie to us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

I find the number of polymaths working in the insurance industry absolutely amazing. Not only do they know enough about the insurance insurance to call everyone else thick, they know enough about medical, legal and other professions to be able to make comments/accusations without the same "you're only an ignorant thick pleb" comment applying to them.

Fascinating that "15 year old cars are killing machines" and "Citroen c5 dervs are high performance" came from the same industry. "We have watertight data to support the quote that was given to you" but the same cover can be got with the same company for half the price through a broker. In any other industry you'd say they were making it up as they went along, but surely such intellectual colossi would not lie to us?

An industry shill will be along to tell you soon that all Irish people turn into dishonest scammers when it comes to car insurance. Especially those with no points and no claims in their driving history, and that it's not the scammers fault, or their failure to manage scam claims properly, its yours, which happens to be a lot more pofitable for them than dealing with all the scammers they claim their is in Ireland, from the Irish government to the Irish legal profession to the Irish public, we're all scammers and on the take apparently, all except the whiter than white Irish insurance industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

What we really need here Batskat, is for more foreign insurers to see the figures you have exposed to show them they can enter our market at much lower prices than the existing insurers. That way, they can undercut everyone by at least 50% and still make a handsome profit.

Win for them and win for us motorists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Really important to say that those figures include Motor, Public liability and Employers liability......but motor accounts for about 75% of the total.

That said, the average Motor payout in 2012/2013 was approx 20k

There is even a handy calculator :
    http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/How-to-make-a-claim/Estimate-your-claim/

Some basic maths now:
    If there are 2million cars on the road in Ireland - lets say 1.5 million insured and with the average policy of 1000euro (according to the report on the radio today)

1.5m x 1000euro = 1.5Billion euro for the insurance companies....

WTF are the insurance companies doing with this !

Lol.

Below is the total injuries boards payments from 2006 to 2012.

2012 10,136 €217.94m
    2011 9,833 €209.83m
    2010 8,380 €186.63m
    2009 8,643 €200.22m
    2008 8,845 €217.16m
    2007 8,208 €181.04m
    2006 5,573 €115.28m

Source

It almost doubled in 6 years!!!!

The above are only payments that went as far as or through the injuries board.

It doesn't factor in what insurers pay out for property damage or injury claims that dont go to the board.

That illustrates why insurers cannot make money.

But sure leave the blinkers on, its easier to stay misinformed so you can rant about something you know nothing about.

Really important to say that those figures include Motor, Public liability and Employers liability......but motor accounts for about 75% of the total.

That said, the average Motor payout in 2012/2013 was approx 20k

There is even a handy calculator :
    http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/How-to-make-a-claim/Estimate-your-claim/

Some basic maths now:
    If there are 2million cars on the road in Ireland - lets say 1.5 million insured and with the average policy of 1000euro (according to the report on the radio today)

1.5m x 1000euro = 1.5Billion euro for the insurance companies....

WTF are the insurance companies doing with this !

Lol.

Below is the total injuries boards payments from 2006 to 2012.

2012 10,136 €217.94m
    2011 9,833 €209.83m
    2010 8,380 €186.63m
    2009 8,643 €200.22m
    2008 8,845 €217.16m
    2007 8,208 €181.04m
    2006 5,573 €115.28m

Source

It almost doubled in 6 years!!!!

The above are only payments that went as far as or through the injuries board.

It doesn't factor in what insurers pay out for property damage or injury claims that dont go to the board.

That illustrates why insurers cannot make money.

But sure leave the blinkers on, its easier to stay misinformed so you can rant about something you know nothing about.

Insurance crash: who pays the price?
    The insurance sector is in crisis. Growing losses have cost several bosses their jobs and mounting claims have led to soaring premiums, says Dan White

Tomorrow, FBD, the last Irish-owned insurer, will publish its half-year results. They won't paint a pretty picture. Continuing underwriting losses mean that FBD will need a capital injection of at least €100m to meet tough new solvency rules.

FBD is not alone. Since the appointment of administrators to Quinn Insurance in March 2010, the Irish insurance sector has been a scene of financial carnage.
    The failure of Quinn - which lost €905m in 2009 and €160m in 2010 - was followed by that of Setanta Insurance, which collapsed in April 2014 with an estimated €90m shortfall.
    Even many of those insurers who survived the bloodbath suffered serious pain. RSA's Irish arm sprung a leak in November 2013 that cost its UK parent £200m (€275m) to plug.

The latest Central Bank insurance statistics (which are for the year 2013) give some idea of the problems facing the insurance sector. These show that the combined underwriting loss across the industry came to €116m.

Motor insurance was the big loser, with a combined underwriting loss of €175m - the underwriting profit/loss figure is the difference between the premiums paid by customers less the insurer's cost of claims and management expenses, but doesn't include any investment returns or losses.

The biggest losers in the motor insurance market in 2013 were RSA, which recorded an underwriting loss of €187m; Liberty (the buyer of the ongoing Quinn Insurance business) lost €16.5m; Zurich €9m; AIG €6.1m; and Allianz €5.7m. In 2013, motor insurers lost €1 at the underwriting level for every €6 of premiums they received from customers.

The other big loser for the insurers was liability - also known as 'slips and trips'. Total 2013 liability underwriting losses came to almost €39m. The biggest loser was again RSA, which recorded an underwriting loss of almost €82m. The other big loser in liability was Aviva, whose underwriting loss was almost €26m.
    This torrent of red ink has coincided with a steady stream of departures at the top of the insurance industry. In fact, six of the country's seven largest non-life insurance companies have changed their chief executives since administrators were first appointed to Quinn Insurance five-and-a-half years ago.
    One insurer - Aviva - has changed its chief executive no fewer than three times since then, while another - Quinn/Liberty - has changed its boss twice.
    In fairness, it should be pointed out that some of these departures represented nothing more than the normal ebb and flow of corporate life. Ken Norgrove quit as boss of Zurich's Irish non-life insurance arm last year to become chief executive of RSA Ireland, while AXA's Gerard Healy moved to a senior position with another AXA group company in the UK earlier this year.
    The circumstances surrounding some of the other departures were much less happy. Andrew Langford, who had been chief executive of FBD since 2008, quit with "immediate effect" last month. His departure followed two profit warnings and a 60pc fall in the company's share price.
    At least Mr Langford's exit from FBD was handled with a modicum of tact and delicacy - which is more than can be said about Philip Smith's defenestration at RSA.
    Mr Smith was initially suspended in November 2013 when a hole was discovered in the insurer's balance sheet and it had to be recapitalised by its UK parent. He resigned later that month.
    He then sued his former employer for unfair dismissal and earlier this year was awarded €1.25m by the Employment Appeals Tribunal. In its ruling, the tribunal stated that RSA had "annihilated" Smith's future employment prospects. With RSA vowing to appeal the award, this affair looks set to run and run.
    In fact, only one of the 'big seven' insurance bosses from March 2010 is still in his job today. The last man standing is Brendan Murphy, who been chief executive of Allianz since 2007.
    Such a high level of turnover at chief executive level is extraordinary and demonstrates the complexity of the sector.
    And things may get worse before they get better. Last June, the Central Bank warned: "The insurance sector continued to contend with on-going challenges. Intense competition in difficult operating conditions has resulted in profitability concerns emerging in the non-life sector, with underwriting losses being reported among insurers in 2014 and profitability becoming increasingly reliant on investment returns."
    Meanwhile, correspondence concerning the insurance sector between Central Bank deputy governor Cyril Roux and Aidan Carrigan, assistant secretary in the Department of Finance's financial services division, has been released under the Freedom of Information Act.
    On March 19, Mr Carrigan wrote to Mr Roux, expressing concern at press reports that price competition in the insurance sector was not "viable" and that reserve levels and actuarial knowledge might not be adequate.
    "I am therefore requesting that you provide a report setting out any issues of concern in the insurance industry, including in relation to RSA Insurance, Liberty and FBD Holdings," wrote Mr Carrigan.
    Mr Roux replied the following day, pointing to the "disjointed" nature of insurance regulation and the 40pc staff vacancy rate in the Central Bank's insurance enforcement section - that is, it lacked the powers and staff necessary to do its job properly.
    Life will get even tougher for insurers when the EU's Solvency II Directive comes into force at the beginning of 2016. Solvency II imposes tough new capital requirements on insurers.
    The looming Solvency II implementation deadline is likely to lead to a spate of mergers and acquisitions across the European insurance sector, with analysts putting the likely value of Solvency II-linked M&A activity at £10bn (€13.8bn) in the UK alone.
    Indeed, this process is already under way - with Zurich seeking to purchase RSA for more than £5bn in cash. One doesn't need to be a crystal ball-gazer to see where this is heading. A Zurich acquisition of RSA, both of which have major Irish operations, will be followed by further such deals as the strong gobble up the weak. The top seven or eight firms that dominate the Irish insurance sector could easily shrink to just three or four.
    And that will be bad news for customers.
    Already, the price of insurance is rocketing. The most recent figures from the CSO show that the average cost of motor insurance has jumped 16pc during the 12 months to July, while home insurance rose by almost 5pc. Most analysts expect the cost of insurance to rise by at least as much again over the next 12 months.
    That would translate into a cumulative increase of about 35pc in the cost of motor insurance and 10pc in home insurance over the space of just two years.
    So what went wrong in the insurance sector - and what, if anything, can be done to put it right again?
    The establishment in 2004 of the Injuries Board to adjudicate on personal injuries claims was one of the most successful reforms introduced by any Irish Government, with the average price of motor insurance falling by almost a third between 2004 and 2007.
    Then recession struck. As anyone involved in insurance will attest, when times are bad and people are strapped for cash, more claims are made. And this drives up premiums.
    Between 2008 and July of this year, the cost of motor insurance jumped by 41pc - at a time when prices throughout the rest of the economy were flat or falling.
    However, an increase in the number of claims is at best only a partial explanation for the jump in motor insurance costs. When the Injuries Board was set up over a decade ago, it was designed to be a lawyer-free zone.
    That didn't happen. In fact, over 90pc of those making a personal injuries claim before the Injuries Board are legally represented.

Further complicating matters is that 40pc of all Injuries Board awards are then appealed to the courts - hardly a surprise, with average Circuit Court awards up 14pc and High Court awards up 34pc in 2014. As a result, legal fees still account for 46pc of total claims costs.
    Then there is what can only be described as the quite incredible softness of the Irish neck.
    In this country, the average whiplash claim is settled for €15,000. In the UK the average claim is just €5,000. And 80pc of Irish motor insurance claims are for whiplash, according to Micheal Horan, non-life manager at Insurance Ireland. The comparable figure in France is just 3pc.
    Insurance Ireland says fraudulent claims add €50 to the cost of every motor policy.
    Last month Aviva and Allianz both said they would no longer insure new customers whose cars are more than 15 years old. This was in response to a wave of staged 'accidents', where the driver of a car with several passengers brakes suddenly, resulting in the car behind crashing into its rear. The driver and all of his passengers then submit whiplash claims, which, when legal expenses are added, brings the total cost of the claim to over €100,000.
    The Injuries Board has also been undermined in other ways. In early 2014, the limit for Circuit Court awards was raised from €38,100 to €60,000. This in turn raised the expectations of claimants - and awards rose in lockstep. Other changes that look set to drive up claims costs still further include last year's High Court decision cutting the discount rate applied to payouts in catastrophic injury cases from 3pc to 1pc - a decision that has been appealed to the Supreme Court.
    "The legal profession has driven a coach and four through the Injuries Board system," says Mr Horan.
    Even so it might not be all bad news on the subject of insurance. With the recovery gathering pace, will the post-2007 increase in claims be reversed - or at least halted?
    This year has also seen a sharp reduction in road deaths, with fatalities down by almost a fifth on 2014. If current trends are maintained, not alone will the increase in road traffic deaths experienced in 2013 and 2014 be reversed, 2015 could end up being the least bloody year on our roads since records begin in 1961. Insurance customers can only hope that this will this feed through into lower claims and premiums.

Sunday Indo Business

Source

Id draw particular attention to the bolded sections above.

Ya, the insurance industry is really, as Jed so charmingly put it, raping the consumer.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

thats the 2nd article you misquoted ... all this says is that the insurance industry has not been prudent in managing its own business in past years. It has repeated taken profits and passed them on either as bonuses to staff and/or shareholders --- and not in ensuring it has prudent cash reserves that hedge against future loss.

Now the that the **** is hitting the fan, they (you ?) believe its ok to pass it onto the customers.

Finally, the stats show that the while claims have risen over the last few years it does not justify that doubling insurance premiums across the board - without it any increased risk assessment.

The building of cash reserves is the game, hoping the no-one will notice and we will suck it up....

TBH, even if the govt could figure this out, they would really be powerless to change as it part of the EU prudential rules...
    Source

Id draw particular attention to the bolded sections above.

Ya, the insurance industry is really, as Jed so charmingly put it, raping the consumer.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement