Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's with insurance.

Options
  • 09-08-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭

so my policy is due to be renewed from last year was 1,500 on provisional licence.

Now I have a full licence and would expect it to decrease yes, not go astronomical. Car is an 01 1.4 golf 75hp.

Aviva no quote and 123.ie 3,200.
    Last week the AA where sub 1,000 which I hope they still will be in a weeks time as I'm quite within the 30days.

At this rate I'd be better off trying to insure 300hp golf gti, I wouldn't mind but I actually have my car running well, but would nearly become UN-sellable at that quotes.

I know some won't insure a car 15 years old but mine technically ain't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Apparently there have been "losses". Now in a normal company in a normal market that usually involves cost cutting but I think it's fair to say no insurance shirts are struggling to put food on the table.

Of course we are legally obliged to purchase insurance so it's not a normal market situation, which is usually countered with "its a business duh it's not illegal to make as much as a profit as we possibly can". The banning of 15yr old cars is certainly not illegal but I would consider it immoral to put that many people under extra financial strain out of pure laziness or inability to examine the data correctly. Not to mind another nail in the coffin of owning anything other than a soulless A to B box in ireland.

But behind all these "justifications" is what really drives these people ... "because we're worth it and you're not"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

Instead of clamping down on abusers and fraudsters, the insurance companies and government have for years decided to gouge the law abiding drivers. It's much more profitable to gouge law abiding people than deal effectively with those who flaunt the law. Quite typical of the approach the authorities and golden circle companies have to most things in Ireland - instead of dealing harshly with the problem people, just use it instead as a convenient cover excuse to gouge law abiding people. You get used to it after living here for years, you just have to pay up and pretend to look happy / oblivious about it, as anyone who cops on to it is marked out as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

If I pretend to be transgender do you think it's for women will insure me?

It is a piss take making all that effort to get a full licence and it's like ah well who cares if your a safe driver as loads of people made claims and we can't increase their insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Have a policy to renew on a 15 year old car in September. Absolutely dreading it.

JamboMac wrote: »
    If I pretend to be transgender do you think it's for women will insure me?

It is a piss take making all that effort to get a full licence and it's like ah well who cares if your a safe driver as loads of people made claims and we can't increase their insurance.

I think under equality legislation, legally they have to provide you with a quote. I've got quotes off them in the past. You won't find them any cheaper though, its a gimmick hangover from the past, as a few years ago, the Irish insurance companies closed the loophole of cheaper insurance for women. The excuse was "EU equality legislation" and we were promised at the time that although it would mean women's premiums would go up a bit and mens would come down a bit to keep them the same, and it would all level out. What they did in reality was raise women's premiums to the same cost as mens and kept the nice fat profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Have a policy to renew on a 15 year old car in September. Absolutely dreading it.

I had to insure a 19 year old Corolla in March. Several firms wouldn't quote, it was up to €800 for Third Party with others. Brokers were a waste of time.
    Met a young fella with a Corolla, he told me 123.ie. I paid around €340 fully comp, age of the car wasn't an issue for them.
    That may have changed since, but they're worth a try.

I had to insure a 19 year old Corolla in March. Several firms wouldn't quote, it was up to €800 for Third Party with others. Brokers were a waste of time.
    Met a young fella with a Corolla, he told me 123.ie. I paid around €340 fully comp, age of the car wasn't an issue for them.
    That may have changed since, but they're worth a try.

That sounds like an older quote. It's gone nuts recently, I paid about 290 fully comp with 123.ie last year for a 15 year old Almera with very low miles and in absolutely perfect condition, "best he'd ever seen" said one NCT tester.

This week, I went to renew and 123.ie wanted over 440, and even at that price they were still the cheapest when I shopped around. It's gangsterism pure and simple. I've never even had one penalty point or speeding fine in 20 + years of driving.

From the look of the websites 25plus ARE its4women but without the terrible ads.

Herself is going through quotes here, almost 950 from 123.ie for a first gen BMW mini cooper, full NCB, female driver over 30. A lot of the others coming in around 550-750.

We're to expect another 20% shafting next year apparently, according to industry mouthpiece the Indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

And the government couldn't give a balls once the public transport agenda is pushed on every motorist in the country.

TallGlass wrote: »
    And the government couldn't give a balls once the public transport agenda is pushed on every motorist in the country.

Couldn't give a balls full stop really as long as Angela is happy I'd say.

A government of industry lobby groups, for industry lobby groups.

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »

What public transport ? Most of the county and the population are abysmally served with so called public transport. Besides there's too much money to be made fleecing motorists in Ireland for the connected to sort out public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

the other day someone suggested someone on here get a massive quote from a garage and go back to their insurance company

treat themselves to a holiday and go to a cheaper garage

**** like this is one reason why we pay more each year :rolleyes:

the other day someone suggested someone on here get a massive quote from a garage and go back to their insurance company

Spot on........... but that's laziness from the companies. Why should you or I have to fork out increased premiums because insurance companies don't do their homework, although I suspect that particular suggestion was useless. They would be looking for the invoices ect. ect. and sending out assessors etc. It's mainly the organised "crash's" where groups and individuals are defrauding the insurance companies that we are paying for I suspect..... and a few other scams that I can't even begin to imagine, no doubt.

**** exist in all things.
    If this was really a problem for Irish insurance companies, they could easily clamp down on such practices. Instead they prefer to use the "pass the costs on excuse" and extort the vast majority of law abiding Irish motorists tenfold. It's much more profitable for them to do so, than deal with the odd scanger that provides a useful cover story/excuse for the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Edit: emptied post as it is being ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

**** exist in all things.
    If this was really a problem for Irish insurance companies, they could easily clamp down on such practices. Instead they prefer to use the "pass the costs on excuse" and extort the vast majority of law abiding Irish motorists tenfold. It's much more profitable for them to do so, than deal with the odd scanger that provides a useful cover story/excuse for the industry.

Despite what alot of people think, the "skangers" engineering claims themselves is not the issue in the grand scheme of things, if it was then it would be relatively easy to address it.

Its Mary down the road that wants a new kitchen.

Or Tom from the town that fancies a motor upgrade and a holiday.

Its every day, ordinary, non "skanger" people that are as much to blame (probably more given there are alot more of them than there are "skangers") for the rising cost of insurance in this country because they get hit from behind and get blinded by euro signs.

If motor insurance is so profitable how come Setanta went bust?

Or how come 123/RSA had a €200 million gap in their claims reserves?

Or how come FBD may be forced to sell off some of their property assets to ensure they have enough money in their coffers to comply with the Solvency II directive from the EU?

Its very easy to lay the blame at the foot of insurers but its not them that are giving out hundreds of thousands of quid every week for the craic, its ridiculous court awarded payments by an inept judicial system to gougers like Tom and Mary, they are the ones that are screwing you over, the insurance companies are a) trying to ensure they dont go bust and b) comply with a directive from the European Union.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Apparently there have been "losses". Now in a normal company in a normal market that usually involves cost cutting but I think it's fair to say no insurance shirts are struggling to put food on the table.

are you sure?

Liberty Insurance to make loss in coming years
    Group expects 135 redundancies in Dublin, with 115 planned in Cavan
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/liberty-insurance-to-make-loss-in-coming-years-1.2262648

Despite what alot of people think, the "skangers" engineering claims themselves is not the issue in the grand scheme of things, if it was then it would be relatively easy to address it.

Its Mary down the road that wants a new kitchen.

Or Tom from the town that fancies a motor upgrade and a holiday.

Its every day, ordinary, non "skanger" people that are as much to blame (probably more given there are alot more of them than there are "skangers") for the rising cost of insurance in this country because they get hit from behind and get blinded by euro signs.

If motor insurance is so profitable how come Setanta went bust?

Or how come 123/RSA had a €200 million gap in their claims reserves?

Or how come FBD may be forced to sell off some of their property assets to ensure they have enough money in their coffers to comply with the Solvency II directive from the EU?

Its very easy to lay the blame at the foot of insurers but its not them that are giving out hundreds of thousands of quid every week for the craic, its ridiculous court awarded payments by an inept judicial system to gougers like Tom and Mary, they are the ones that are screwing you over, the insurance companies are a) trying to ensure they dont go bust and b) comply with a directive from the European Union.

Ah the industry fat cat has arrived to claim all their Irish customers are really crooks, hence the high rates in Ireland. Next you'll be asking how did poor old Quinn go bust, the poor lad, maybe we should have a collection for him, a bit of a whip round and for PMPA as well. Oh that's right we already did for both. The Irish judicial system, the Irish insurance industry, the SIMI and politicians have been scratching each others backs for years, don't make us laugh. We're not as easily fooled as you'd like to believe fat cat. As if the Irish insurance industry ever pays for their own incompetence and mismanagement. lol

Ah the industry fat cat has arrived to claim all their Irish customers are really crooks, hence the high rates in Ireland. Next you'll be asking how did poor old Quinn go bust, the poor lad, maybe we should have a collection for him, a bit of a whip round and for PMPA as well. Oh that's right we already did for both. The Irish judicial system, the Irish insurance industry, the SIMI and politicians have been scratching each others backs for years, don't make us laugh. We're not as easily fooled as you'd like to believe fat cat. As if the Irish insurance industry ever pays for their own incompetence and mismanagement. lol

That rant would be much more effective if only Business Cat were wrong.

Graham wrote: »
    That rant would be much more effective if only Business Cat were wrong.

Yes, us plebs really should believe vested interest industry representative types that flock to such threads, claiming their Irish customers such as Mary and Tom, all are crooks, on the other hand fat cat insurance lads are so trustworthy. They've been proven time and time again to be so trustworthy in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yes, us plebs

I don't know which 'plebs' you're speaking on behalf of.

I pay for my own insurance at normal rates and I don't work in an area remotely connected to the insurance industry.

Graham wrote: »
    I don't know which 'plebs' you're speaking on behalf of.

I pay for my own insurance at normal rates and I don't work in an area remotely connected to the insurance industry.

What are you 'connected to' then ? :)

Quality.

I find the use of the old reliable straw man a pretty good indicator of the myopic and ill informed, thanks for saving me the time of actually trying to engage with you.

Also, you are very reminiscent of a poster that was banned a couple of months ago. That guy also had a major issue with the insurance industry and fat cats. Thats some coincidence, eh.

;)

What are you 'connected to' then ? :)

Read through my 14 years of posts and you can probably work it out.

It's impressive that you're able to make such accusations after just 6 days on the site.

Quality.

I find the use of the old reliable straw man a pretty good indicator of the myopic and ill informed, thanks for saving me the time of actually trying to engage with you.

Also, you are very reminiscent of a poster that was banned a couple of months ago. That guy also had a major issue with the insurance industry and fat cats. Thats some coincidence, eh.

;)

Ah I see, all this from the guy who also had to resort to accusing all the ordinary insurance customers, Tom and Mary, of being crooks as well. Yep we believe you all right. ;) You are right about it being better not to engage with people who see your bull for what it is.

Ah I see, all this from the guy who calls all his ordinary customers, Tom and Mary, crooks as well. Yep we believe you all right. ;)

Well umop apisdn, or would you prefer I called you browniepoints, or Jed I wonder, if you actually read my post, nowhere, I repeat, nowhere, did I say all of the ordinary customers were crooks.

The majority of insurance customers are honest, decent and want a fair price for a good product, nothing wrong with that.

But the fact remains there are alot of people that even though they may be honest and decent in most ways, they still have no problem exaggerating injuries to get a few quid.

Anyway, its painfully obvious that you are either trolling or just do not have a clue, either way, Im done wasting band width with you.

Good day to you Sir!

Well umop apisdn, or would you prefer I called you browniepoints, or Jed I wonder, if you actually read my post, nowhere, I repeat, nowhere, did I say all of the ordinary customers were crooks.

The majority of insurance customers are honest, decent and want a fair price for a good product, nothing wrong with that.

But the fact remains there are alot of people that even though they may be honest and decent in most ways, they still have no problem exaggerating injuries to get a few quid.

Anyway, its painfully obvious that you are either trolling or just do not have a clue, either way, Im done wasting band width with you.

Good day to you Sir!

Yep, Tom, Mary, me, all the ordinary honest decent people of Ireland, when it comes to insurance, we all become dishonest, in order to rob the poor self contradictory fat cats, who, poor fellows, can't do a thing to manage it except charge extortionate rates and then go bust and get a taxpayers bailout and another levy. You'll have to practice a bit more 25. Seanie Quinn eat your heart out. lol

nowhere, I repeat, nowhere, did I say all of the ordinary customers were crooks.
    Yep, Tom, Mary, me, all the ordinary honest decent people of Ireland, when it comes to insurance, we all become dishonest

You really do have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about insurance companies don't you?

Great to hear your Almera is still on the go though ;) do you have to re-register the car each time you change identity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Yep, Tom, Mary, me, all the ordinary honest decent people of Ireland, when it comes to insurance, we all become dishonest, in order to rob the poor self contradictory fat cats,l

Where did anyone say that?

It's clear you know nothing about the way the insurance industry works.

• Advertisement

Valetta wrote: »
    Where did anyone say that?

It's clear you know nothing about the way the insurance industry works.

Or rather the real problem for the cats, are the mice that are not as easily fooled. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement