Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critérium du Dauphiné 2015 - Stage 8 (final stage) **warning: no spoiler tags**

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    "At the beginning of the year, Sky raised the stakes by signing several high-profile riders to back Froome in a bid for a second yellow jersey, including Nicolas Roche, Leopold Konig, and Wout Poels.

Behind them are Sky stalwarts, such as Richie Porte, Peter Kennough, and Geraint Thomas. All six of those riders are all but assured a spot. The final two will likely be decided between riders such as Mikel Nieve, Sergio Henao, Ian Stannard, Danny Pate, Vasil Kiryienka, and David Lopez"

Looks like they are not even regarding Philip Deignan as being in with a shout....

Well all those quoted words are just the journalist's. I don't see any given reason to believe they're the inside word on Brailsford's thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is König guaranteed his place?

Yes he has proven that he can perform in the Grand Tours (Giro '15 6th, TdF '14 7th, Vuelta '13 9th), but can he perform as a domestique?

There were some questions being asked about his domestique abilities in the first week of the Giro, but we never got to see how that panned out because Porte abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Was thinking that earlier - I'd not be at all surprised if Konig rode the Vuelta, & as Froome/Wiggins stuff showed, Sky can be very hard in their notions of who fits the desired Froome team in all its aspects. They have proven perfectly willingly pick a less strong but more reliable rider personality-wise, even at the cost of massive UK pr disaster like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Id be shocked if nieve doesnt make the tour team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Is König guaranteed his place?

Yes he has proven that he can perform in the Grand Tours (Giro '15 6th, TdF '14 7th, Vuelta '13 9th), but can he perform as a domestique?

There were some questions being asked about his domestique abilities in the first week of the Giro, but we never got to see how that panned out because Porte abandoned.

I think the exact same way about Konig

Don't remember seeing him do any Dom work this year ..At the Giro he was very concerned with his own performance and didn't ride with Porte...He even gave interviews saying he was co leader
    His interview the day Richie Porte lost all the time (not the wheelgate or the crash but later ) was very telling....Didn't want to talk about Porte at all
    Almost like ..Who ?? So back to me ??

I would bring Deignan before I would bring Konig
    Konig has a great TT but he is a follower and a diesel on long climbs..I think I have never seen him at the front this year
    Deignan is a better Dom
    I think Koing would be happy to go to the Vuelta as co leader ...he indicated as much at the Giro...almost saying but not quite 'I suppose I will have to go to the Tour to work for Froome' when asked about his plans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

retalivity wrote: »
    Id be shocked if nieve doesnt make the tour team

I won't be...On form he is a great climber but his form at the Giro wasn't great

And at last years Vuleta he was not as strong as Philip Deignan on the climbs

Advertisement