Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Anyone tried the new pizza and beer place in Douglas? Palmento I think it's called?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    how can you tell the quality of the meat in this condition?
    I am not looking for "free range, organic, locally grown chicken" - just decent quality fresh chicken - like you would by in a super market. And not in a ready mead meal - what you describe sounds like that.. I would rather eat a cheese toastie that a ready made meal… these processed meats are full of extenders and binders of all kinds.. reformed meat - yuk..
    so i would avoid on that account..
    depends on one's standards i guess..

but like i said, if i go out for something to eat I expect it to be at least on a par with what i would cook at home..

I know the difference between processed meat and fresh meat that has been batch cooked and reheated to order.
    Maybe you can't tell the difference but I can.
    The chicken I had in there was a fresh chicken breast poorly cooked - not processed chicken.

You are accusing a restaurant of serving processed reformed chicken without any evidence whatsoever. That's not on.

I had the same issue with chicken in Waga Mama's. Chicken was dry and overcooked as it had been pre cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Had a takeaway from Ramen in Dennehy's X last week and it was awful. You could almost play "Where's Wally" trying to find any meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I know its fashionable here to slag off Ramen, but I still find it far superior to Aroi, where I tried again and it was awful again. Poor service and terrible food. The chicken may as well have been rubber, the rice was hard and the rest tasted as it if were yesterdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

gimmick wrote: »
    I know its fashionable here to slag off Ramen, but I still find it far superior to Aroi, where I tried again and it was awful again. Poor service and terrible food. The chicken may as well have been rubber, the rice was hard and the rest tasted as it if were yesterdays.

Exact same, I've gave Aroi 3 chances now, never again.

Honestly dont get the hype in here for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Exact same, I've gave Aroi 3 chances now, never again.

Honestly dont get the hype in here for it.

Different strokes. I much prefer Aroi to Ramen. The food in Ramen was truly awful, and the 'service' worse. A point I was willing to make and stand over on here as well as Trip Advisor.

I've eaten in Aroi twice and found the food to be excellent. But I didn't have chicken as much prefer fish to meat and eat that as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I've eaten in Aroi twice now, once take away and once inside. It was great both times, but like the above poster, i went for seafood on both occasions and cannot fault it, two very tasty meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

pwurple wrote: »
    Anyone tried the new pizza and beer place in Douglas? Palmento I think it's called?

Tried Palmento last weekend, the pizza was gorgeous but my only bugbear was that the mozzarella and basil pizza only had that little garnish of basil at the centre of the pizza whereas I would have expected a scattering of leaves on the pizza - it makes all the difference taste-wise! The other pizza we tried was a goats cheese one with mushrooms which was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Getting a bit much with people bashing Ramen. It divides opinion, but people coming out with definitive sounding statements proclaiming it worse than a soup kitchen is just attention seeking.

Getting a bit much with people bashing Ramen. It divides opinion, but people coming out with definitive sounding statements proclaiming it worse than a soup kitchen is just attention seeking.

How is expressing your opinion attention-seeking? This is a public forum is it not?? Therefore, it's to be assumed all opinions are valid - Whether you agree with them or not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The obvious inference some people are putting across is that it's cheap muck, regardless of other peoples' opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys I can't bold this as I'm on my phone, but give over with the bickering will ye; everyone is entitled to their opinion about a particular restaurant if they have dined there - doesn't mean they are jumping on a bandwagon or anything if the hold a particular view, you either like the food or you don't. Now can we move on please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

I know the difference between processed meat and fresh meat that has been batch cooked and reheated to order.
    Maybe you can't tell the difference but I can.
    The chicken I had in there was a fresh chicken breast poorly cooked - not processed chicken.

You are accusing a restaurant of serving processed reformed chicken without any evidence whatsoever. That's not on.

I had the same issue with chicken in Waga Mama's. Chicken was dry and overcooked as it had been pre cooked.

correct i have not eaten there - and i said that already - i was going on my mates review..

in any event - the chicken was poor quality and tbh he felt nauseous after it..
    the chicken you described is unacceptable to me too - chicken is a major substrate for bacteria if not cooked/stored correctly etc..

sporina wrote: »
    correct i have not eaten there - and i said that already - i was going on my mates review..

in any event - the chicken was poor quality and tbh he felt nauseous after it..
    the chicken you described is unacceptable to me too - chicken is a major substrate for bacteria if not cooked/stored correctly etc..

First you suggest that Aroi serve reformed, processed chicken.
    Then you admit that you have never been there.
    Then you infer dangerous hygiene practices!

What is your beef with this restaurant?

Please stop making unfounded accusations about a restaurant that you have never been to.

Please stop making unfounded accusations about a restaurant that you have never been to.

It's not just him, I've left plenty of reviews on this thread 90% of them very good, I'm very unbiased, I also dont think much of Ramen.

I'll repeat what I've said, the chicken was not the texture of traditional chicken, and did not taste of anything.

It's not just him, I've left plenty of reviews on this thread 90% of them very good, I'm very unbiased, I also dont think much of Ramen.

I'll repeat what I've said, the chicken was not the texture of traditional chicken, and did not taste of anything.

You formed your opinion from eating there. What chicken dish are you referring to?

I didn't enjoy my chicken there. I wouldn't order the same chicken dish there again. I am confident that the chicken was pure chicken breast (it was the chicken salad I had with a whole chicken breast). I've enjoyed everything else I've had there - including the chicken pandan.
    I have no problem with people having different opinions to me.
    I do have a problem with people who haven't eaten in a restaurant making damaging accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

mimihops wrote: »
    Tried Palmento last weekend, the pizza was gorgeous but my only bugbear was that the mozzarella and basil pizza only had that little garnish of basil at the centre of the pizza whereas I would have expected a scattering of leaves on the pizza - it makes all the difference taste-wise! The other pizza we tried was a goats cheese one with mushrooms which was delicious.

Thanks for this, I was tempted to go in for little ladies day but the reviews online weren't great.

Must say we have got take out from the golden elephant in Douglas twice now and it is lovely.. Had the currys and the oyster sauce and well I can say well done to them. Nice and fresh, not greasy or stodgey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The lesson is don't order chicken when out... I never do. From working in restaurants years ago, it can be hit and miss on quality. No reflection on any particular establishment.
    It's there for the plain eaters who want "the chicken without the sauce".

Anyone got a recommendation for caterer/supplier for a children's party around Cork? I'm up to neck in work, so I'll manage the cake myself, but other than ordering 5 giant pizzas, any ideas? Would prefer it not to be total junk food. Will be mix of adults and a bunch of 4 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

JJO'Driscolls do catering.

Forgot what a nice shop that was until Christmas for anyone looking they have a great red and white wine selection.. For the more unusual wines..

You formed your opinion from eating there. What chicken dish are you referring to?

I didn't enjoy my chicken there. I wouldn't order the same chicken dish there again. I am confident that the chicken was pure chicken breast (it was the chicken salad I had with a whole chicken breast). I've enjoyed everything else I've had there - including the chicken pandan.
    I have no problem with people having different opinions to me.
    I do have a problem with people who haven't eaten in a restaurant making damaging accusations.

I had the Khao Pad and the Green Chicken Curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I'm on the north side (right beside blackpool), any recommendations for an Indian (delivery preferable). The ones I've tried have been fine, but nothing to write home about. Is it a cork thing to use what i think is oregano in Indian dishes?

Iyers is well up on my list, but i'm thinking more of a "get home from work and want a curry and some popadoms" type!

dibkins wrote: »
    I'm on the north side (right beside blackpool), any recommendations for an Indian (delivery preferable). The ones I've tried have been fine, but nothing to write home about. Is it a cork thing to use what i think is oregano in Indian dishes?

Iyers is well up on my list, but i'm thinking more of a "get home from work and want a curry and some popadoms" type!

Sadly, I think you're out of luck, unless you can get Iyer's to deliver or get out to the Raj. I've NEVER had a decent curry here

The back and forth posts about Ramen are getting tiresome now. Some people like it, some people don't - different strokes for different folks. So, stop it now please and lets just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I thought the discussion about the chicken was about Aroi...it appears to have changed now to Ramen at top of this page by accident.

Ludo wrote: »
    I thought the discussion about the chicken was about Aroi...it appears to have changed now to Ramen at top of this page by accident.

Whichever restaurant it was about, let's just keep on topic, posters shouldn't be challenging others on their opinions about a restaurant.

These places seem to divide opinion anyway so we could go on forever bickering about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Sadly, I think you're out of luck, unless you can get Iyer's to deliver or get out to the Raj. I've NEVER had a decent curry here

Oh:( Anything in the city center? They tend to be fine delivering up the north side as well.

dibkins wrote: »
    Oh:( Anything in the city center? They tend to be fine delivering up the north side as well.

Apparently there's a new Indian on North Main Street? Not sure what it's called (edit: just checked - it's called Spice Inn) or what it's like though! I live in the northside also and was looking for a place that would deliver recently and we were going to try there - haven't yet though.

There's also an Indian in Glanmire - I think it's called Star of India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

leahyl wrote: »
    Apparently there's a new Indian on North Main Street? Not sure what it's called (edit: just checked - it's called Spice Inn) or what it's like though! I live in the northside also and was looking for a place that would deliver recently and we were going to try there - haven't yet though.

There's also an Indian in Glanmire - I think it's called Star of India.

Did you try it yet?

54kroc wrote: »
    Did you try it yet?

Haha no not yet :pac: Hopefully sometime in 2015! You went didn't you and you liked it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

i said that I had not been there! Indeed. I am passing on feedback from a person who's opinion I know is reliable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement