Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A discussion on the rules.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

This thread takes the biscuit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057303233

"It seems that a certain group on here gang together and continually brand anyone who disagrees with them as skangers, scumbags, lowlife's and generally class them as an 'underclass', implying they're republican terrorist supporters etc etc. The use of condescending and flaming language (I was even accused of being racist earlier today) seems to be another trait of this group in society."

Basically it accuses anyone who supports Irish Water as being in breach of the Politics Charter by continually branding others as scumbags etc.

Not only is it using words in breach of the charter but it is a whole thread set up to have a go at other posters. Amazingly, the post was edited by a Mod and remained unchanged!!

It even had the following: "N.B, This is not another thread about water charges, there's enough of them at this stage I think."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It was moved from AH, normally the rules don't get applied retroactively. Also, the only sensible interpretation of those rules isn't that the words are banned but that using them as insults is (which is their normal usage, but exceptions will exist). Otherwise a verbatim quote from a newspaper article or whatever that had the word scumbag in it would merit sanction, which nobody wants I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

nesf wrote: »
    It was moved from AH, normally the rules don't get applied retroactively. Also, the only sensible interpretation of those rules isn't that the words are banned but that using them as insults is (which is their normal usage, but exceptions will exist). Otherwise a verbatim quote from a newspaper article or whatever that had the word scumbag in it would merit sanction, which nobody wants I imagine.

I was given an infraction for simply using the word before. In fact I'm sure I argued that exact point in this thread to no avail; will mine be reversed?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That was moved from AH to the cafe, the charter for the cafe isn't as strict.

Thread on the cafe in the site wide feedback forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057293963

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So if you call a group of people scumbags you are infracted.

But if you state that a group of people call others scumbags you can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was given an infraction for simply using the word before. In fact I'm sure I argued that exact point in this thread to no avail; will mine be reversed?

I've zero say in things these days, I'm arguing what I think is the most sensible interpretation.
    Godge wrote: »

But if you state that a group of people call others scumbags you can get away with it.

Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I've zero say in things these days, I'm arguing what I think is the most sensible interpretation.

Of course not.
    Sorry, I was on the touch site and thought for some reason you were someone else :)

Is "Blueshirts" allowed as a term of abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As a verbatim quote, yes. If you tried some variant of the line "these people are the kind of people some people call scumbags", then no.
    Is "Blueshirts" allowed as a term of abuse?

Tempting, certainly, since it's basically identical in effect to "beards", "teabaggers", "ecoloonies" etc.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Scofflaw wrote: »
    As a verbatim quote, yes. If you tried some variant of the line "these people are the kind of people some people call scumbags", then no.

Tempting, certainly, since it's basically identical in effect to "beards", "teabaggers", "ecoloonies" etc.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

And what about "Sinn Fein/IRA"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Nodin wrote: »
    And what about "Sinn Fein/IRA"?

Modern Sinn Fein are associated with the modern IRA. The link is objectively there, and the crossovers between the two organisations are undeniable in general, however deniable, or denied, they may be in individual cases.

The association of modern Fine Gael with the historical Blueshirts, on the other hand, is meaningless in a current political context, unless someone is prepared to substantiate the connections with a well-researched and argued piece of historical and policy analysis - but someone like that probably isn't going to toss "blueshirt" around as an epithet.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think I got an infraction for using the S word to reference a fictional character, a drug dealer from the movie Layer Cake that Colm Meaneys character gave a nice one liner to.

I always understood the ban was on the S word in all contexts and all usage to keep it simple for the mods, so the infraction was was at least consistent. And who knows, the fictional character might have felt personally attacked.

If there's now context going to be applied I wonder what's the point of the specific rule on the S word, when it seems to actually be targeted on personal abuse or poor quality posting which is already covered by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Politics Cafe threads are lighter, hence a relatively open charter, which helps for threads moved from AH. You got your card in a different forum, so you aren't comparing like with like. That thread was started in AH IIRC, we can't retrospectively card somebody for starting a thread in AH that would be against the main politics board charter!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Modern Sinn Fein are associated with the modern IRA. The link is objectively there, and the crossovers between the two organisations are undeniable in general, however deniable, or denied, they may be in individual cases.

The association of modern Fine Gael with the historical Blueshirts, on the other hand, is meaningless in a current political context, unless someone is prepared to substantiate the connections with a well-researched and argued piece of historical and policy analysis - but someone like that probably isn't going to toss "blueshirt" around as an epithet.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The "modern IRA", specifically the Provisional movement, no longer exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Isn't the intent the same though? Saying SF/IRA is exactly as helpful to any thread relating to current ROI (rather than historic) politics as saying Beards or Blueshirts. If its about something being factually correct, AFAIK FG have never apologized or officially disowned their Blueshirt roots?
    Would one be free from sanction if you said "the descendant of the Blueshirts"?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Why do we ban any of those terms? Because they just flame and don't actually add anything to peoples point and help drag the conversation to a lower tone.

Now you will be for the keeping of SF/IRA as a non sanctioned term for idealogical reasons, I personally don't have any big problem with Blueshirts because of my leanings.

But surely you recognize that if your dropping to the level of Paisley style debate your not doing it with the best interests of discussion.

Its a pointless exercise anyway, do you think you'l actually convince somebody to vote NO to SF that would have voted yes by referring to them as SF/IRA, at least pointing out people like Ferris and actual connections has the excuse of it might actually change some peoples minds, all SF/IRA says tells other posters is your own political leanings.
    (I'm more of a lurker than a poster here anyway though)

The Provisional IRA no longer exist. If somebody wishes to refer to historic associations that's perfectly fair enough. However a post stating 'The new Sinn Fein/IRA policy..........' or anything along those lines is entirely inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Especially when Sinn Fein capitalise on their association with the IRA by selling IRA merchandise in their gift shop.

How about an IRA T-Shirt?

Or if you're feeling especially belligerent and/or insecure, how about a "IRA - Undefeated Army" T-shirt?

I could go on. I guess people will stop associating the IRA with SF when SF stop associating themselves with the IRA. FG long, long, long ago stopped associating themselves with the blueshirts.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    I could go on. I guess people will stop associating the IRA with SF when SF stop associating themselves with the IRA. FG long, long, long ago stopped associating themselves with the blueshirts.

Have they ever officially renounced them though?I am fairly sure they haven't but I am open to correction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The Provisional IRA no longer exist. If somebody wishes to refer to historic associations that's perfectly fair enough. However a post stating 'The new Sinn Fein/IRA policy..........' or anything along those lines is entirely inaccurate.

Why?
    The deputy leader of Sinn Fein was a member of the IRA and its leader Gerry Adams has long been touted as a member by other IRA members.
    Martin Ferris anyone?
    I could go on....

The links even today are quite strong and undeniable, yet people would rather have these links censored.

jank wrote: »
    Why?
    The deputy leader of Sinn Fein was a member of the IRA and its leader Gerry Adams has long been touted as a member by other IRA members.
    Martin Ferris anyone?
    I could go on....

The links even today are quite strong and undeniable, yet people would rather have these links censored.

What censorship? I've already said reference to historical links was perfectly fair enough. However the PIRA no longer exists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What censorship? I've already said reference to historical links was perfectly fair enough. However the PIRA no longer exists.

I think your original request/question was to get people who wrote 'IRA/Sinn Fein' banned. The request for being factual is a convenient rebuttal seperate from the actual matter.
    Democratic Left don't exist either, yet people should be allowed to ring them up when politician's like Eamon Gilmore and Brendan Howlin are mentioned.

I think your original request/question was to get people who wrote 'IRA/Sinn Fein' banned. .

I think you'd be wrong.

Democratic Left don't exist either, yet people should be allowed to ring them up when politician's like Eamon Gilmore and Brendan Howlin are mentioned.

Yet to say Labour/Democratic Left/The Workers Party referring to current matters is misleading and inaccurate.

The PIRA was only declared as non-existed in 2008. That is not historical, that is the other day.

There are also many who don't believe it has gone away.

If the PIRA is historical, then so is the bank guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

There are also many who don't believe it has gone away.

If you want to posit that theory, shouldn't the onus be on you to prove it?

The term SF/IRA when referring to current events, should now be redundant, it only serves to diminish the debate here.
    I would have no problem with historical references either.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    If you want to posit that theory, shouldn't the onus be on you to prove it?

The term SF/IRA when referring to current events, should now be redundant, it only serves to diminish the debate here.
    I would have no problem with historical references either.

The IRA existed until 2008 according to the Decommissioning Body, the independent body set up to monitor it. That body is no longer performing the task so we don't know what has happened since then.

FF introduced the banking guarantee in 2008.

If we agree to disassociate SF from the IRA because it is "historical", then we must also disassociate FF from the bank guarantee.

On the other hand FF's emergence from gun politics is definitely historical. Ditto the Blueshirts. Ditto De Valera's Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The IRA existed until 2008 according to the Decommissioning Body, the independent body set up to monitor it. That body is no longer performing the task so we don't know what has happened since then.

FF introduced the banking guarantee in 2008.

If we agree to disassociate SF from the IRA because it is "historical", then we must also disassociate FF from the bank guarantee.

On the other hand FF's emergence from gun politics is definitely historical. Ditto the Blueshirts. Ditto De Valera's Ireland.
    The bank guarantee exists and some of those who advocated and signed it are still in government, PIRA do not exist anymore (both governments are happy with that consensus) therefore the term SF/IRA is redundant and is actually an unproven accusation when used on here.
    Would any other 'unproven accusation' be allowed by Mods?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement