Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demographics from Dublin airport.

Options
  • 20-08-2014 8:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Do Irish people actually use Dublin airport lol? I've only been to this airport once but when I took my flight to/from America there didn't seem to be very many Irish people on these planes. On the way there I didn't see a single Irish person either before boarding or on the plane, on the way back it was pretty much the same with just one Irish person in the six rows around me. Now this was different flying from Belfast where it was more 50/50 - I noticed this at the Newark airport too with many Belfast accents to be heard at the gate.

Do the Irish passengers support Aer Lingus and only fly them? OR was this just an anomaly?

I found this to be very odd as Dublin Airport caters for Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

No, we just catapult ourselves off the west coast and hope for the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No need for sarcastic comments, it was just something that me and my family noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

Im not being sarcastic here but hardly anybody in Dublin would go down to Cork or Shannon for a flight unless the airport had a route Dublin didn't have or was considerably cheaper. If they don't use Dublin Airport they probably don't fly. Most Irish people would use Aer Lingus compared to US citizens who would fly a particular airline if they were part of the loyalty programme.

airbus125 wrote: »
    Im not being sarcastic here but hardly anybody in Dublin would go down to Cork or Shannon for a flight unless the airport had a route Dublin didn't have or was considerably cheaper. If they don't use Dublin Airport they probably don't fly. Most Irish people would use Aer Lingus compared to US citizens who would fly a particular airline if they were part of the loyalty programme.

So Irish people would pick their own airline then?

I thought maybe thats what it was as there was no way it was just Americans using the flights to/from America. Its obviously a different situation in Belfast due to the one flight.

We just went to Dublin as they have the immigration there and it is MUCH cheaper to fly from there (despite the removal of taxes from Belfast).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I believe Ireland has the highest loyalty to their own airlines of any Democratic country in the world. I use Dublin whenever I fly, it's my local airport. There are only 2 TATL airports in Ireland, Dublin and Shannon. So unless you were in a different terminal. Don't forget Ireland has 6 million tourists a year. That's 12 million journeys from Cork, Dublin, Shannon, Knock and plenty of ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Another thing that fascinates me with advertising of some airlines of how it's done so wrong at times, has anyone in DUB the last few days seen Aircoach buses with ''fly KLM from Cork to the World.'' - I would have thought a more effective campaign would be ''The world via Cork and Dublin with KLM'' considering the Aircoach buses end up in either city numerous times during the day and as KL code-shares with EI from both ORK/DUB. Strange one I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I go on a flight nearly every week, there are always Irish people on the flights??

Maybe you were on the touristy plane, judging by your tourist head in the clouds thread.

I was on United airlines - THAT is not tourist.

man98 wrote: »
    I believe Ireland has the highest loyalty to their own airlines of any Democratic country in the world. I use Dublin whenever I fly, it's my local airport. There are only 2 TATL airports in Ireland, Dublin and Shannon. So unless you were in a different terminal. Don't forget Ireland has 6 million tourists a year. That's 12 million journeys from Cork, Dublin, Shannon, Knock and plenty of ports.

Well in Belfast we just fly on the cheapest.

Don't see why I would bother flying on Aer Lingus due to no connection opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Let me get this straight. You flew out of Dublin ONCE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

owenc wrote: »
    Don't see why I would bother flying on Aer Lingus due to no connection opportunities.

Where did you connect to on United that isn't offered over the EI codeshare?

MYOB wrote: »
    Where did you connect to on United that isn't offered over the EI codeshare?

I don't have to justify my choice or airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What a strange thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

But did you not by saying you chose United for cxn choices:confused:
    Jack1985 wrote: »
    Another thing that fascinates me with advertising of some airlines of how it's done so wrong at times, has anyone in DUB the last few days seen Aircoach buses with ''fly KLM from Cork to the World.'' - I would have thought a more effective campaign would be ''The world via Cork and Dublin with KLM'' considering the Aircoach buses end up in either city numerous times during the day and as KL code-shares with EI from both ORK/DUB. Strange one I thought!

Off topic, but I die a little inside when I see the Harvey Norman adverts in T1 advertising dishwashers and the like. Welcome to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

I was on United airlines - THAT is not tourist.

That possibly may just explain why you didn't see many Irish folk on board. Personally speaking if going T/A I will always use Aer Lingus. I will use Aer Lingus or City Jet (new convert to them) for UK and Europe.

In the many times I've been in DUB I've seen Irish people in the airport. You make it sound like they are an ethnic minority in Dublin.

The Wanderer.
    P.S. I actually thought this was going to be an interesting thread on nationality breakdown on DUB Passengers :(

Danbo! wrote: »
    But did you not by saying you chose United for cxn choices:confused:

Off topic, but I die a little inside when I see the Harvey Norman adverts in T1 advertising dishwashers and the like. Welcome to Ireland.

My choices for using them were because they were cheaper and I preferred a stop over. I've also used them before and thought they were a good airline so yeah.

That possibly may just explain why you didn't see many Irish folk on board. Personally speaking if going T/A I will always use Aer Lingus. I will use Aer Lingus or City Jet (new convert to them) for UK and Europe.

In the many times I've been in DUB I've seen Irish people in the airport. You make it sound like they are an ethnic minority in Dublin.

Obviously it is different down there than here and in England.

I just found it funny how were on this plane from Dublin yet there were basically no Irish people on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was looking forward to seeing some nice stats on airport use here and this is what i get, ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭billie1b

I just found it funny how were on this plane from Dublin yet there were basically no Irish people on board.

Can you explain how you knew they weren't Irish?

Was looking forward to seeing some nice stats on airport use here and this is what i get, ugh.

You can post some if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Best not to make claims if you don't want to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Someone's a bit jetlagged and grumpy!

billie1b wrote: »
    Can you explain how you knew they weren't Irish?

He asked each and every one where they were from of course !

I can tell you that a good number of my colleagues use United as Newark is closer to Manhattan than JFK and the flights are often cheaper.

Others use Aer Lingus because of travel industry tickets.

I prefer the the 2x seating on the A330, flying out of JFK, the very early morning arrival back into Dublin, the aircraft being in better shape. Any stories I have heard of the 757's have said they haven't been in great shape and IFE is poor. Been a while though since I flew to the US.

Flying short haul I will use whomever is the cheapest with the best times on the day I want to fly to the airport nearest where I want to go to.

I agree this is a strange thread.

It was pretty obvious that they were American by their accents/dress code.

I know you business travellers are brilliant and travel the world but try and be less intolerant of other people who only go travelling a couple times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭billie1b

I know you business travellers are brilliant and travel the world but try and be less intolerant of other people who only go travelling a couple times a year.

Thats a couple of more times a year than me :D
    Your analogy of knowing if they were Irish or not don't mean Jack, my partner has a non Irish accent but is Irish, like many others

I apologise for making such a childish thread. I know you business travellers are brilliant and travel the world but try and be less intolerant of other people who only go travelling a couple times a year.

One flight doesn't make an airport, especially one that handles 550+ flights a day in the summer your flight represented less than 0.2% of the flights that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This'll give you a good idea of the breakdown of the demographics,Irish and foreign alike that use DUB. This is from last month.

Resize_July_image.sflb.ashx

My experience of both CO/UA is that it is very often filled mainly by Americans,particularly groups of older pax on CIE Tours to Ireland. Whilst the Irish will often go with the Shamrock the Americans are more price sensitive and will go with the cheapest option,even if it involves 2 or 3 flights.

Some business travellers do have this stuck up attitude/sense of entitlement though.

lord lucan wrote: »
    This'll give you a good idea of the breakdown of the demographics,Irish and foreign alike that use DUB. This is from last month.

Resize_July_image.sflb.ashx

My experience of both CO/UA is that it is very often filled mainly by Americans,particularly groups of older pax on CIE Tours to Ireland. Whilst the Irish will often go with the Shamrock the Americans are more price sensitive and will go with the cheapest option,even if it involves 2 or 3 flights.

Yeah it was old people on our flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Irish people love Aer Lingus. If we don't fly with them, we'll fly with the US airline with a good reputation. From what I've heard, United isn't very liked, anyone I've heard from only rates Alleigant below them.

Advertisement