Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 7+ mile progression run

These progression runs are going to be the bread and butter runs for the next few months. Started at around 8 minute pace and would it up after about 4 miles, finishing at around what felt like 6.3X pace. Felt great on this, not watch with me at all and just flying around on the grass

Wednesday: 1 mile time trial, 3x1k off 90 secs recovery

Mile: 4.56
    K's: 3.44. 3.38, 3.38

This time trial sums up how I have felt in all my track races for the last 6 weeks. Steady all the way through but no strength to pick it up with 300m and finishing poorly. In fact, I never really felt good during this and was working hard after 500m. Annoyingly my brother dropped me again, finishing in 4.53, the time I was hoping to run. Was hoping to run quicker but we were at the front of the race and it's harder to push yourself when you have no-one to chase. A bit frustrating but it's the last race of the season so time to put it behind me and move on and it was a two second PB. At least I know what needs to be worked on for next year.

Took about 15 minutes and did 3 k's, the times were awful as the legs were still zapped but still good to get a bit more volume in.

Going to do a few days easy running now and I might do a parkrun on Saturday, I have a tempo to do this week anyway so would be grand to do it there. Last Friday is my last race of the season, a 5k on the road before two easy weeks, so it's all winding down from here!

Thursday: 45 mins very easy

Recovery run on the grass in the glorious sunshine, unlike a lot of runners I'm loving this heat. Wouldn't be great for racing in but for training it's just lovely.

Friday: 51 mins steady w/4 strides

Another lovely day and I felt good on this. Like Tuesday's run I started really easy and cranked it up as I went along. Where I run there is loads of shade from the high trees to keep the body cool.

Saturday: 7 miles w/Oldbridge Parkrun in 19:08

Tempo run this morning and I decided to tie it in with another go at the Oldbridge parkrun. I forgot just how tough this race and while the time was right for tempo work, the effort was not. Fell into 2nd place at the start along side my brother. Four of us stayed together until 2.5k when my brother pushed on and has been the case recently, I couldn't go with him. Kept slogging it out but really died on my arse over the last kilometer, really just crawling in and got passed with 200m to go, not that I cared at that stage. So, a good workout but effort levels were much too high for the time I was running, despite the tough course. My brother won the race, and is currently in the shape of his life.

I think I am just in need of a break so with that in mind I think I am going to knock the Carlingford 5k on the head next Friday. No point racing when I'm not feeling good and not in good shape. The only thing is it is doubling as the Louth 5k road champs but the lads will have to cope without me! Looking forward to the mid season break and then getting stuck into cross country training to try and improve my strength and endurance which is clearly lacking at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

pconn062 wrote: »
    My brother won the race, and is currently in the shape of his life.

I foresee an unfortunate accident in his future (I say this with some confidence as an older brother).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I remember the good old days when you could afford a sub par performance but at least could consolidate with the fact that you had beaten your brother. Now, you don't even have that. I foresee a hard winter's training for you. Family honours is a powerful motivation. Its what got me seriously in to the sport.

cianc wrote: »
    I foresee an unfortunate accident in his future (I say this with some confidence as an older brother).

Indeed, it would be shame if someone slipped something into his cereal in the morning!
    I remember the good old days when you could afford a sub par performance but at least could consolidate with the fact that you had beaten your brother. Now, you don't even have that. I foresee a hard winter's training for you. Family honours is a powerful motivation. Its what got me seriously in to the sport.

For me there are mixed emotions, I am coaching him so his improvements are down to my training (and his hard work). However for the winter I am thinking of putting him on a low mileage plan mixed with lots of cross-fit like prancing around while I churn out 65 miles weeks, we'll see whose faster then! :pac:

• Advertisement

That's cool that you are training him. I didn't realise. Anyway, in general you have made great strides this year and you now seem focussed on the middle distance so should accelerate that improvement again next year. Would a 4 minute 1500 be a goal somewhere down the line. Like yourself, I'd like to run a 4.10 to 4.15 next year and then see if I could improve on that towards the end of the summer. Need to start training again first though:)

That's cool that you are training him. I didn't realise. Anyway, in general you have made great strides this year and you now seem focussed on the middle distance so should accelerate that improvement again next year. Would a 4 minute 1500 be a goal somewhere down the line. Like yourself, I'd like to run a 4.10 to 4.15 next year and then see if I could improve on that towards the end of the summer. Need to start training again first though:)

Yes a 4 minute 1500m is definitely a dream time for the future. Have spoken to a few of the coaches in the club and I am going to try and put in a big year and really target the track season next year with an aim of getting close to 4.10-15 for 1500m. That work is going to start at the end of August so everything from August on will be focused towards that.

You could easily run a 4.15 1500m now with just a few weeks of training, and get close to 4 minutes with a few months solid training. Are you injured at the moment, you've been quiet here of late?!

Yes a 4 minute 1500m is definitely a dream time for the future. Have spoken to a few of the coaches in the club and I am going to try and put in a big year and really target the track season next year with an aim of getting close to 4.10-15 for 1500m. That work is going to start at the end of August so everything from August on will be focused towards that.

You could easily run a 4.15 1500m now with just a few weeks of training, and get close to 4 minutes with a few months solid training. Are you injured at the moment, you've been quiet here of late?!

I've taken a break from running for one reason or another and no good reason at all really. Still go for an easy run once or twice a week to keep it ticking over. Looking for a place closer to work (currently an hour and a half commute :eek:) and within a good runmuting distance of 6 miles or so. When I do this, I expect that I'll be able to up the mileage significantly without too much stress.

Looking forward to giving the mile/1500 a good bash next year. I'll set some target times in the Spring. It'll be the XC for us soon enough now. Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it.

Today: 10 miles in 75 mins

Easy run on the road this morning. Felt pretty good although the effort was solid due to the wind and the hilly route we ran. Not a bad week at all with a small PB in the mile, winding down a bit but will train this week up until Friday. Currently in the process of putting a winter plan together with input from a few guys of the club. These things always look great when written down, it's another thing to actually go out and put it into practice! :pac:

Tuesday: 7+ miles easy on grass

Easy run on grass, felt great on this. Felt effortless from the start and tipping along nicely by the end, love days like this. :)

Wednesday: 2x1k @ 5k pace, 4x400m @ 3k pace, 4x200m @ 1500m pace

Splits: (3.34, 3.26), (78, 79, 79, 78), (36, 36, 37, 32)

A few dodgy pacing efforts in there, but overall a good session. Most of the guys are racing on Friday so the plan was to do a decent session tonight but to keep the volume relatively low. The aim for the k's was 3.30 which if you average the two we hit bang on! :pac: Felt good during these and the 400's felt controlled and relaxed. Then the 200's were for a little turnover work and again felt very controlled, didn't take much effort to hit 32 at the end so the speed is still there. The 37 was due to having to step out to lane two to make room for a few of the sprinters.

Looking forward to getting stuck into a few longer reps sessions in a few weeks, want to start hitting low 3.20 k's for 5k pace reps, a sub 17 5k is a big goal before the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Better stick these down before I forget!

Thursday 31st July: 50 minute recovery run (I think)

Easy jaunt around on the grass and no ill effects from the session the night before.

Friday 1st August: 38 minutes

Terrible run, felt absolutely god awful. Not sure why but I was really struggling and the stomach was as dodgy as hell. Called it a day after 38 minutes, no point flogging a dead horse.

So that was last run of the current season, ended on a bit of a downer. I arrived in Berlin on Saturday morning and I'm here still the 15th. The first week is a week of total rest. I'm planning on getting a few short runs in from this weekend on. My accommodation is right next to the Tempelhofer Feld, one of Berlin's airports which was closed for good in 2008 and was converted to a public park so I will have somewhere decent to run. The real work starts when I get back, have some serious stuff planned for the x-country season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Enjoy the break, well deserved.

Saturday 2nd-Friday 8th: ZILCH. NADA. NOTHING

No running, a prescribed week off did the world of good, both mentally and physically. I am in Berlin doing a two week language course so instead I did lots of studying, sightseeing and sampling of Germany's finest product, das Bier!

Saturday: 42 mins easy

Sunday: 38 minutes easy

Today: 46 minutes with 15 minutes steady.

A few easy runs to get back into it, felt good on Saturday after the week off and possibly ran too fast. The result was some pretty bad DOMS in my quads which I still have today. Sunday I meant to do longer but the stomach was in a jock so had to call it a day early. Took Monday off as my stomach still wasn't 100%. Then today I had a good run, picking up the pace as I went along and did the last 15 minutes at around about 6:40 pace (I think, hard to know pace when you don't wear a Garmin). Quads started to cramp a little for the last 5 minutes and are still quite tender. It's amazing how quickly the body can adapt to sitting around doing nothing and the first run on Saturday must have been a bit of a shock! All these runs were done in Berlin's now closed airport, Temeplhofer Feld, pretty cool place to run although the concrete is a bit unforgiving!

Going to do one more run here on Thursday before returning to Ireland on Friday, will get a run in on Saturday and Sunday as well. The good news is I'm haven't lost much fitness although endurance is an issue and I think I would struggle right now with anything approaching 80 minutes. The real work starts next Monday, cross country beckons!

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: 46 mins easy/steady

My last run in Berlin, again like Tuesday I did 30 mins easy then 15 mins at a steady effort, no idea of pace but it felt like about 6.40 pace.

Friday: Off/travelling

Saturday: 52 mins easy

Nice, easy run back in Ireland, glad to be back on the grass and off the concrete. Tipping along nicely by the end of this, cold though and I got used to the 27/28 degree temps in Berlin!

Sunday: 10.X miles in 77 minutes

Met up with a few this morning for a bit of a long run. Started off very slow, 8+ minutes miles but finished down closer to 7.20 pace. Very windy for this but again the legs felt good and I'm feeling fresh. The only slightly issue I have is a tender right quad, it's been sore since my first run last Saturday. Doesn't bother me when I run but is a little tender to the touch afterwards. Hopefully it's just a little delayed DOMS and it will go away.

So preparation for the next season starts tomorrow, it's cross country time! The plan involves building mileage and endurance. I hope to peak at 60-65 mile a week. Hopefully we can get in two good sessions a week, alternating every two weeks with hills/tempo/fartlek and long reps. It going to be event specific so one session a week and the majority of easy and long runs will be done of grass/cross country-esque courses. Will try and build the long run up to 16 miles as I think this stood to me in the more grueling races last year. This is a very similar plan to the one I followed last year which worked well so I'm hoping it will pay off again this year.

The only slight issue it that I think I'm getting sick, have been feeling rotten since this morning but hopefully nothing comes of it. Tomorrow is scheduled as a rest day anyway! :)

So, day 1 of the plan done. Going to stick down a few details so I know where I am going into this:

Weight: 10st 7, which is not actually a bad weight for me although I am currently making some changes to my diet and think I could get down to 10st 3/4 in two months time.

Niggles: None currently, the week off seems to have cleared up the few issues I have been having

Supplemental training: I will be re-introducing my strength programme and if I can do that 3 days a week then I will be happy. Also going to introduce some dead lifts as I got a weight bar off my Dad. More focus on hills should also help get some strength into the legs.

Have no real targets time wise, apart from a sub 17 minute 5k by the end of the year. All my other targets are in relation to positions in x-country races and team standings. I want to run in the Leinster novice and not make a show of myself like I did last year, which was far the hardest race I've ever ran.

The first run today was pretty unremarkable. Hadn't even intended on running but my GF was going for a run so I joined her and did 4 miles easy on the grass.

Tuesday: 55 minutes easy

Had to go to my parents house so ran over and took the long way to get a bit more mileage in. Felt good.

Wednesday: 7 miles w/3x8 minutes tempo

First session of the plan and nothing too strenuous. Ran this like a progression tempo, starting at 6.19 pace before speeding up to 6.08 and 5.57 for the last two. Felt really good on this apart from a little bit of a dodgy stomach which often happens when I train in the evening. Got chatting to one of the guys in the club afterwards and he had a few things to say about out training and what he thinks we are doing wrong (and right). To cut a long story short, he offered to coach us for the next few months. This is really great for us, this guy is a two time National Indoor medalist so really knows his stuff and he thinks he can help take us to the next level. Pretty excited about what's coming up.

Recovery run tomorrow if I can squeeze it in, have to start work at seven and it could be 8 or 9pm before I finish so might have to get up really early or get it doen tomorrow evening.

Thursday: 36 minutes recovery

Crappy run after work, didn't get out until late as I had a bitch of a day at work and my stomach was in a bad way. Meant to do more but I had to call it a day early.

Friday: 47 minutes easy

Another easy run after another long day. Legs were very tired and never really got moving but just ticked off the miles which is the important thing.

Saturday: 55 minutes easy

Better run today, felt good and was ticking along nicely by the end. Few aches and pains for the last few days, especially in my knees. Must be getting old. :pac: Finished off with two miles in the hill field, will increase the duration of these runs that I do in the hill field over the next few weeks.

Sunday: 11 miles in 80 minutes

First time in Oldbridge in a few weeks, forgot how tough it is to do a long run here. Did 4 laps of 2.75 miles each. Bumped into a guy from the club halfway on the 2nd lap and the pace was increased until he left us after the third lap. Felt good on this but tired at the end and glad to be done.

So 46 miles this week which I'm happy with for the first week of the x-country season. It's a good starting point and will try and slowly increase it now towards the 60+ mark. Really looking forward to getting the new plan off the new coach and getting stuck into it. Was chatting with a few guys from the club last night and we are really going to target out senior country x-country race this year and doing so poorly in it last year. Lots of hard work ahead.

Tuesday: 7+ miles in 53 minutes

Easy run on grass, never really got into this and was counting down the minutes. Long day at work and the legs were tired.

Wednesday: 7 miles w/session

10x400m: 80, 78, 79, 79, 79, 78, 79, 78, 79, 74

First session from the new coach tonight. The idea was to run these at a good effort, but not flat out. Did 15 mins warm up then 800m jogging the bends, striding the straights. These 400's were done in a two minute cycle, so if you took 80 secs to run the rep, you get 40 seconds recovery, which is not a lot. Conditions were manky, gale winds and pretty heavy showers. Despite that I felt pretty good on these, I hung towards the back of the group as the original plan said 8x400m, but with the option of doing 10 if you felt good, and I had my eye on 10. The recovery went by in a flash but because they weren't run flat out it was just enough. Pushed it a little on the last one with 200m to go. Finished off with a 20 minute cool down.

Nice session, going to do a little strength work tonight to finish of a tough day. Have another light session lined up for Saturday, so the next two days will be very easy.

Thursday: 6 mile recovery

Legs very tender after the session the night before, very slow going at the start and struggled to get going at all. Legs felt better afterwards though.

Friday: 7+ miles on grass

I decided in my infinite wisdom to do a session of squats after my session on Wednesday and the after effects really only hit me today. Good god I felt like an old man. The first few miles were really a struggle but after 30 mins I started to feel really good and was ticking along nicely by the end on the hill field.

Saturday: 7+ miles w/session

20 mins WU, 3x1 mins uphill, 8 minutes tempo, 3x1 mins uphill, 20 mins WD

Really interesting session this. Met up with a few lads at the track in Dunleer to tackle this. These warm-ups and cooldowns are longer than I'm used too so that had an effect on the legs at the end. On the uphill sections we were told to run at a good effort but not totally flat out. The tempo session in the middle although it is only short is actually quite tough after the three uphills which leaves the legs quite heavy. We averages about 6.05 pace for this section. Then three more 1 minute uphills to finish off, the legs were very heavy by the end of the last one. A good session, not a really killer but good for leg strength. This session will get bigger as the weeks go on, more uphill reps and longer tempo sections.

Long run tomorrow to finish off a solid week. Mileage is not as high as I wanted but will have much more time from next week on so will fit in a few double runs to help with that.

Sunday: 12 (and a bit) miles in 91 minutes

Believe it or not, this was my longest run of the year so far (not by much). Was pretty damn tough too, more to do with where we ran rather than the distance. Running in Oldbridge is so much harder than the road, you are constantly going uphill or downhill or trying to find good footing on the grass which can leave you pretty tired. I think a 12 mile run here is worth 14 on the road with regards to effort, or 15-20 seconds a mile. Legs were in a jock at the end of this and was glad to be done.

Another week done, 46 miles again. Was hoping to hit 50 but missed out on my planned double run. Not a problem, back to my normal work this week which leaves me with more time so will get it up to 50 this week. Two good sessions though and a decent long run. Legs are tired and have a massage tomorrow which will hopefully loosen them out.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 8 miles at an easy pace

Back on the grass for this, started very slow (really, very slow) before getting moving after 2 or 3 mile. Finished up bang on an hour.

Wednesday: 10 miles total

AM: 3 mile shuffle
    PM: 7 mile with session, 12x400m in a 2 minute cycle

The morning run was a bit of zombie march, straight out of bed and I was stiff as a board. Never got faster that 9 minute miles.

Then in the evening we headed into the track for the session. The plan for tonight was for 10x400m with the option of doing 12 if we felt good. Had a decent group doing these to share the work and the conditions were good. Got into the groove fairly quickly and kept the splits pretty consistent, starting with an 80 I think before hitting mostly 79's with a few 78's, then finished with a 77 an a 72. Did the 12 as well as I felt pretty controlled the through the whole session. Really enjoyed this session but I can see it getting tough when the volume increases.

Legs are quite sore this morning so it will be another easy, easy shuffle today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Tuesday: 8 miles at an easy pace

Back on the grass for this, started very slow (really, very slow) before getting moving after 2 or 3 mile. Finished up bang on an hour.

Wednesday: 10 miles total

AM: 3 mile shuffle
    PM: 7 mile with session, 12x400m in a 2 minute cycle

The morning run was a bit of zombie march, straight out of bed and I was stiff as a board. Never got faster that 9 minute miles.

Then in the evening we headed into the track for the session. The plan for tonight was for 10x400m with the option of doing 12 if we felt good. Had a decent group doing these to share the work and the conditions were good. Got into the groove fairly quickly and kept the splits pretty consistent, starting with an 80 I think before hitting mostly 79's with a few 78's, then finished with a 77 an a 72. Did the 12 as well as I felt pretty controlled the through the whole session. Really enjoyed this session but I can see it getting tough when the volume increases.

Legs are quite sore this morning so it will be another easy, easy shuffle today.

The 2 min cycle is great for rhythm running and will stand to you over 5k in the coming months man for sure, fair play keep it up

ecoli wrote: »
    The 2 min cycle is great for rhythm running and will stand to you over 5k in the coming months man for sure, fair play keep it up

Thanks man, yeah seems like a great way to do 400's, never did them before last week so hope it pays off this year with over 5k. Good to see you back logging and with the pressure of Dublin off your shoulders, you can concentrate on just getting back into solid training.

Thursday: 50 mins recovery

Very, easy slow run on the grass. Felt a bit of a niggle in my hip (more on that later) but apart from that this was effortless.

Friday

AM: 50 mins easy
    PM: Circuit class

Good easy run today on the grass, cut it a bit short as I was still a little concerned about the hip. In the evening time I went to a circuit class organised by one of the coaches in the club. Usually I wouldn't bother with things like this but the coach focused it for runners with lots of focus on lower leg work so thought I would give it a go. Very tough but a good workout, a mix of strength work, stretching and some plyometrics.

Saturday: 8 miles w/session

3x1min uphill, 10 min tempo, 3x1 min uphill

Similar session to last week with the only difference being a slightly longer tempo section. Felt really good doing this, the first three mins uphill were no problem. During the tempo section I thought we were going way to slow but after one lap (of our 1/3 mile long gravel track) we were at 1.59 so under 6 minute pace. It felt so easy and we averaged under 6 minute pace for the ten minutes. Last 3 minutes were a little tougher but kept it controlled the whole time. The worst part was the 2.5 mile uphill W/D back to my brothers house.

Sunday: 1hr 33 mins easy

Big group for the long run today which really helps, the miles just ticked by. Did 45 mins on the road before switching to the grass which helped break up the monotony. Gorgeous weather by the end and felt good overall on this although the legs were in bits by the end, a combination of circuits on Friday, session on Saturday and long run Sunday.

Good week training wise, a shade over 50 miles with two good sessions and I'm starting to feel good in training (aerobically anyway). The only issue is the niggle I picked up in my hip on Thursday hasn't gone away. It doesn't seem to bad but just a small niggle there the whole time. Have a physio session booked for tomorrow which will hopefully help. I have done three good weeks now so if I need to take a down week this week it's not the end of the world. Would rather cut the mileage this week and still be running in two months rather than making this niggle worse.

Hmm, didn't realise it was so long since I updated this, lost a bit of interest and went back to the old-fashioned pen and paper log. Training has been going well, with a few up and downs.

Week starting 8th September: I had a planned down week, so got 43 miles in with two sessions, 14x400m averaging 77/78 and a hill/tempo session.

Week starting 15th September: Good weeks training, 55 miles with two good sessions, a set of 400's and another hill/tempo session, 5x1 min uphill, 15 min tempo (6.05 pace), 5x1 min uphill.

This week: The stress of the last weeks training came back to haunt me a bit. I slightly strained my quad during the hill session on Saturday, made possibly worse by the long run I did on Sunday. Took Monday and Tuesday off as a precaution and got a massage, physio said it was nothing serious but needed an easy week. Did the following:

Wednesday: 35 mins easy
    Thursday: 40 mins easy
    Friday: 45 mins easy
    Saturday: 50 mins w/10 @ 6.50 pace
    Sunday: 1 hour easy

Leg feels much better now and I'm fine to return to full training this week. Only 30 miles for the week but better to get it out of the way now than in the middle of race season. Slightly annoyed that I missed a race I wanted to do last night in Blackrock (Co. Louth) but I've been hitting the sames times in training as my brother and clubmate and they both ran PB's last night so hopefully the signs are good for the upcoming races. Louth novice on next Sunday which I'm really looking forward to. Hopefully the down week this week means the legs issues are sorted and leaves me fresh for the upcoming race. Back into full training this week.

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: 50 mins at the fast end of easy + 2 strides

Tried a slightly longer and faster run (about 7.10/15 pace I think) today to test the leg, no issues at all which was a relief. Did two strides as well to test it at a bit of speed but again no issues.

Wednesday

AM: 25 mins shake out
    PM: Session: 3x(1k, 600m, 400m) off 90 secs recovery, 4 mins between sets

Splits: (3.23, 1.57, 75), (3.19, 1.57, 76), (3.20, 1.57, 69)

Felt confident enough to try a full session tonight at the track. Did 15 mins warm up and some strides. The plan is to build this session over the next six weeks so eventually we are doing 5 sets. The plan was for 80 second laps for the 1,000m, 77/78 in the 600m and 75/76 in the 400's. First set was fine and the recovery seemed generous enough. The second set was where the work started, the 3.19 k was pretty tough but once that was out of the way the 600m and 400m seemed manageable. Same story for the last set, the k was tough and it took a lot of concentration to hold the pace. 600m was fine and for the last 400m we were told to keep it controlled for 200m and then push on if possible. Hot 200m in 36 and then 33 for the 200m. Great session and has hopefully set me up well for the weekend. Finding it hard to imagine to do 5 sets though!

Cross country starts this weekend with the county novice, 6k for us. The course is very flat and hopefully should be reasonably dry which will suit me. We have a good team lining up so hopefully we are in with a shout of a team medal. Still can't quite believe it's x-country time again, need to find the spikes!

Thursday: 50 mins very easy recovery

Friday: 40 mins easy

Meant to do more but due to getting delayed at work I didn't get out until after six in the worst of the rain. I decided in my infinite wisdom do run in my usual spot on the grass but it was completely waterlogged and after 40 mins I was like a drowned rat so headed for home.

Saturday: 40 mins easy

Just an easy one before the race tomorrow. The ground should have dried up a bit so hopefully the conditions are good. This is usually a very fast course, completely flat which usually suits me. I'm expecting to be a bit rusty as I haven't run a race since July :eek:, but with 4 or 5 races coming up in the next 6 weeks I will get back into it quickly hopefully.

Sunday: Louth novice x-country 6k

16th overall, 22:04, 2nd team

Good outing for the club today, we got second team in a pretty deep field, lots to build on for next year. Not a great day for myself, bit of a shock to the system and I never really settled in. Got into a group from the start but got dropped after about 5 laps (with three still to go). I'm cursing myself now as I kind of gave up mentally at this point which I'm sometimes prone to do and just ran/suffered the last three laps on autopilot. Should have made a bigger effort to catch the guys in front of me, but the race was over at that stage.

Quite annoyed and disappointed at myself now. I ran about 15 seconds quicker than last year but it should have been more, guys of the same standard from my club and others have made big improvements while I seem to have stagnated. Also, I quit too easily, need to really toughen up in these races. I could have tried harder to stay with the group today and it cost me a couple of places. Made me very determined to run a better race at the intermediate next week. Will try and put it behind me, but this was a big race for me and will take a few days to get over. Haven't run a good race in a good few months now and although I think the training is going well, it's not translating (yet) into good races. Things will come to those who wait.....(hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sunday: Louth novice x-country 6k

16th overall, 22:04, 2nd team

Good outing for the club today, we got second team in a pretty deep field, lots to build on for next year. Not a great day for myself, bit of a shock to the system and I never really settled in. Got into a group from the start but got dropped after about 5 laps (with three still to go). I'm cursing myself now as I kind of gave up mentally at this point which I'm sometimes prone to do and just ran/suffered the last three laps on autopilot. Should have made a bigger effort to catch the guys in front of me, but the race was over at that stage.

Quite annoyed and disappointed at myself now. I ran about 15 seconds quicker than last year but it should have been more, guys of the same standard from my club and others have made big improvements while I seem to have stagnated. Also, I quit too easily, need to really toughen up in these races. I could have tried harder to stay with the group today and it cost me a couple of places. Made me very determined to run a better race at the intermediate next week. Will try and put it behind me, but this was a big race for me and will take a few days to get over. Haven't run a good race in a good few months now and although I think the training is going well, it's not translating (yet) into good races. Things will come to those who wait.....(hopefully)

Well done man

The lack of racing most likely made the shock a bit worse but definitely an optimistic season opener fair play

As you said the fitness is there and the races will click into place

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Well done man

The lack of racing most likely made the shock a bit worse but definitely an optimistic season opener fair play

As you said the fitness is there and the races will click into place

Hope so man, great run yourself. Good opener for the season for us both hopefully.

Advertisement