Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 small cameras appear on dunnes knocknacarra roundabout catching all junctions

Options
  • 24-06-2014 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

these were definately not there a few days ago, anybody what they're for? there's already one of those new 360 cameras on that junction and now it's accompanied by 6 mini cameras facing all junctions onto that roundabout

could they be static anpr cameras catching every car reg going by?

there's a sticker on them stating the units are fitted with GPS and alarmed, individually numbered etc.

*strokes chin curiously

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

woops i forgot to attach the photos, silly me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Was passing by yesterday evening on Bothar Stiofain and passed a van with "Compass" written on the side with a fella up on a ladder sticking one up.

There's 2 others at end of the the access road by Pure Skill, that's where I saw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

It it said compass then its more than likely something along the lines of this, http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/compass/camera/camhome1.shtml

It it said compass then its more than likely something along the lines of this, http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/compass/camera/camhome1.shtml

i'm lost, why would they have one of the cameras facing into the entranceto the housing estate there at dunnes roundabout on distributor rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Possibly traffic counters? The ones on the ground tend to get cut very very often

• Advertisement

Possibly traffic counters? The ones on the ground tend to get cut very very often

traffic in and out of a very small estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Was out walking there on bother stiofain and just saw the van parked up and some guy up a ladder taking down what appears to be camera's.

Compass Self Drive Kilmarnock was on the van with a Uk yellow reg.

traffic in and out of a very small estate?

Yeah why not. It all counts. If you were putting them up why leave it out. Could be miles off but reckon thats exactly what they are....that or google streetview live

Was out walking there on bother stiofain and just saw the van parked up and some guy up a ladder taking down what appears to be camera's.

Compass Self Drive Kilmarnock was on the van with a Uk yellow reg.

Kilmarnock, Dublin hired van with UK yellow reg??
    Yeah why not. It all counts. If you were putting them up why leave it out. Could be miles off but reckon thats exactly what they are....that or google streetview live

live street view my arse, they can come and take that **** down from around me if it is, christ it's bad enough we have no privacy left, every street and house in the country visable online and now ya can tune in for a live feed, where will it all end i ask you

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Yeah Kilmarnock Compass Self Drive

Never mentioned or saw anything referring to Dublin or hired van.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Phew, I was getting ever so slightly paranoid.

It seems there is a major traffic monitoring operation underway. I saw one of these earlier this evening, but when I returned the same way 15 minutes later it had disappeared. I was beginning to wonder was I seeing things.

The cameras belong to a company called MHC Traffic: http://www.mhctraffic.com/video-surveillance

Yeah Kilmarnock Compass Self Drive

Never mentioned or saw anything referring to Dublin or hired van.....

There is a Kilmarnock in Scotland, and MHC have an office in Troon, only 20 km away.

live street view my arse, they can come and take that **** down from around me if it is, christ it's bad enough we have no privacy left, every street and house in the country visable online and now ya can tune in for a live feed, where will it all end i ask you

Ah...I was joking

Ah...I was joking

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thanks OP, I noticed them yesterday well up the lamp posts. Not really an area I would associate with the need for constant monitoring so I was wondering too. They did put ramps along that road this year but they are spaced far apart so I wonder is speeding still a problem there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Sky.

lol what if you made a map and pointed out all the cctv spots on galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Sky.

any more pictures please? :D

newkie wrote: »
    Thanks OP, I noticed them yesterday well up the lamp posts. Not really an area I would associate with the need for constant monitoring so I was wondering too. They did put ramps along that road this year but they are spaced far apart so I wonder is speeding still a problem there.

they were gone this morning! very strange that they were only up for a very short time. there's still a lot of issues regarding speeding along the western distributor road afaik

Sky. wrote: »
    any more pictures please? :D

certainly :p

they were gone this morning! very strange that they were only up for a very short time. there's still a lot of issues regarding speeding along the western distributor road afaik

I'm open to correction, but somehow I doubt the MHC Traffic cameras can be used to monitor speed.

It looks as if the traffic survey was of very short duration. I wonder what they can conclude from a quick survey at this time of year?

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'm open to correction, but somehow I doubt the MHC Traffic cameras can be used to monitor speed.

It looks as if the traffic survey was of very short duration. I wonder what they can conclude from a quick survey at this time of year?

it should be possible to enquire somewhere as to what they were being used for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Well if it proves anything then it's that the powers that be are taking the chronic traffic situation in Galway seriously at last.

folbotcar wrote: »
    Well if it proves anything then it's that the powers that be are taking the chronic traffic situation in Galway seriously at last.

by putting up temp cctv on one roundabout for a matter of hours, even pointing into the entrance/exit of a fairly small estate, something about it seems fishy to me tbh

folbotcar wrote: »

It depends on what you mean by "chronic traffic situation" and "take seriously" perhaps.

It's only one junction, and as we all know traffic congestion is greatly reduced when the schools are off (even just the secondary schools).

The Council does city-wide traffic counts every November afaik, yet any changes they make are typically localised and do little to reduce traffic volumes.

So why conduct a traffic survey at this particular location at this time? Could it be something to do with the Council's decision to site a new Aldi store and plans to locate a temporary school in the retail park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Also if it is monitoring an estate entrance it would just be to see how many residents pop in and out so if 100 cars go by and 20 turn into the estate they may think 100 people have used the road whereas

80 people and 20 residents have if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Could it be something to do with the Council's decision to site a new Aldi store and plans to locate a temporary school in the retail park?

This is the most plausible thing I've read in this thread.

Bazzy wrote: »
    Also if it is monitoring an estate entrance it would just be to see how many residents pop in and out so if 100 cars go by and 20 turn into the estate they may think 100 people have used the road whereas

80 people and 20 residents have if that makes sense

I wonder whether the CCTV traffic monitors can use ANPR?

Automatic Number Plate Recognition was used to good effect in the Bodkin Roundabout project.

Using ANPR would allow the Council not just to track the absolute number of vehicles but also to analyse their movements.

Big Brother has his uses... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dunno, but there are more poles appearing at key junctions around town with cameras about to be fitted. Examples include Dyke/Woodquay, Woodquay/Francis, University/Newcastle

They're permanent cameras, to be linked to Galway City Council's UTC centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

They're permanent cameras, to be linked to Galway City Council's UTC centre.

I thought they were gone already? Not very permanent then? ;)

(renegademaster said this in post #19 above). I keep forgetting to check it out every time I pass there :)

Edit: By the way, when the UTC centre was announced, it was said that it would only become operational once all the major roundabouts had been replaced by controlled intersections? So I assumed it was on hold until they sort out the Menlo Park roundabout issues with the residents there.

It would be great if it would come online anyway as that roundabout could take years and we really need some traffic management.

Advertisement