Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey guys

Not sure if I asked before but does anyone recommend a skin to make XBMC look nicer? I am using the base one that comes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey guys

Not sure if I asked before but does anyone recommend a skin to make XBMC look nicer? I am using the base one that comes with it.

Try the Aeon Nox skin if your hardware can run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Spipov

we're now in May 2014. what would be the best box to buy, which would have good community support?i believe i could stretch to 150 if it includes an air mouse

thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

I've tried a few of them and I sticked to the Minix Neo 7

Zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Spipov

for just streaming video (on a upc 120mb), either SD or HD, do i need a quadcore or would a dual core (ie minix 5) do?

ive read a couple of places that dual core works better for streaming, quad core better for gaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Spipov wrote: »
    for just streaming video (on a upc 120mb), either SD or HD, do i need a quadcore or would a dual core (ie minix 5) do?

ive read a couple of places that dual core works better for streaming, quad core better for gaming?

AML8726-MX MX2
    is the one I'd go for (Not neccesarily off that seller).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Allyall wrote: »

AML8726-MX MX2
    is the one I'd go for (Not neccesarily off that seller).

I have a couple of them. Great little boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I must be unfortunate with the MX2 because I've nothing but trouble with it, biggest piece of crap I've ever bought. Tried all firmwares and different versions of xbmc and none work well at all. On the lookout now for a new box but not sure which to go for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

aaronm13 wrote: »
    I must be unfortunate with the MX2 because I've nothing but trouble with it, biggest piece of crap I've ever bought. Tried all firmwares and different versions of xbmc and none work well at all. On the lookout now for a new box but not sure which to go for.

Really. I've two myself, and set up at least ten more for family and friends without any problems!

What problems are you finding?

Really. I've two myself, and set up at least ten more for family and friends without any problems!

What problems are you finding?

Just instability really. Xbmc is so hit and miss but mostly miss. Get crashes all the time, nothing playing on xbmc, desperate buffering on wired and wireless, have 120 meg UPC so speeds are fine. Best success I've had with xbmc was one of the Linux builds which worked OK for a few weeks but gradually degraded in quality. Followed all guides online so 99.9% sure I've everything set up correctly. Haven't tried the two recent beta builds as couldn't get them to boot but they don't get great feedback on the matricom forums. Very tempted by the MINIX neo x7 I must say.

• Advertisement

Sounds very unlucky, because I've never *touch wood* had a problem with any of them. Most flawless box I've used.

This is the ROM I use for Media/XBMC and I have no problems at all with it.
    http://d-h.st/g1J

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

jaysus

i'm on 3mb dsl with a 34€ tv stick

playback and streaming are almost flawless

no fancy roms or custom xbmcs

Sounds very unlucky, because I've never *touch wood* had a problem with any of them. Most flawless box I've used.

This is the ROM I use for Media/XBMC and I have no problems at all with it.
    http://d-h.st/g1J

Thanks for the ROM link Allyall. I ll give it a go over the weekend. I gather its not the official matricom ROM. Which site did you get it from as I didn't realize there was a custom community working on this box.

Thanks for the ROM link Allyall. I ll give it a go over the weekend. I gather its not the official matricom ROM. Which site did you get it from as I didn't realize there was a custom community working on this box.

There are a fair few custom ROMS for that box.

That one is an AceMax Rom.

There are a fair few custom ROMS for that box.

That one is an AceMax Rom.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

we're now in May 2014. what would be the best box to buy, which would have good community support?i believe i could stretch to 150 if it includes an air mouse

Minix Neo x7 would also get my vote! Works brilliantly with Beyond XBMC.

I bought the following a few months back, any ideas on how to search for new ROM's? want to upgrade Android as well....just looking for idea's?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I bought the following a few months back, any ideas on how to search for new ROM's? want to upgrade Android as well....just looking for idea's?

Have you checked www.freaktab.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭ooter

Where would be the best place to buy the minix?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Adverts.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

ooter wrote: »

Which model would you be looking for?? If it's the Neo X7 or X8 H I'd recommend SmarttvBox.ie....
    A-because I know the seller
    B-because all the stock is based in Ireland (so no customs duties or VAT,to be paid)
    C-The Seller has just become a official Reseller for Minix.

Hope I won't be shot for trying to help him out;)

bazzz wrote: »
    Which model would you be looking for?? If it's the Neo X7 or X8 H I'd recommend SmarttvBox.ie....
    B-because all the stock is based in Ireland (so no customs duties or VAT,to be paid)

Hope I won't be shot for trying to help him out;)
    -

D - He is way overpriced

-

D - He is way overpriced

Cheaper than most on Adverts,for Minix boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Cheaper than most on Adverts,for Minix boxes.

He's not shy with his prices though. There is the convenience factor with him ok, but the price difference is such I'd rather wait and buy from China direct or eBay.

He offers an alternative anyway and if people are happy to pay his prices good luck to him.

He's not shy with his prices though. There is the convenience factor with him ok, but the price difference is such I'd rather wait and buy from China direct or eBay.

He offers an alternative anyway and if people are happy to pay his prices good luck to him.

Yeah he's not long in the market.So it's early days for the business,this is why he can't compete with many of the overseas sellers....Yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

ooter wrote: »

Got mine from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭ooter

thanks lads

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

TBF I don't think his price of 155 Euro for the Neo X8H is that bad for Ireland. Looking at the Geekbuying price, if you were to pay the VAT and 6 Euro An Post fee I calculate it at around 148 Euro. Unless I'm missing something here, not sure if he charges delivery for example, couldn't see anything on the site about it? Unless of course you want to chance your arm and hope to get away with the VAT in which case you'd get it for 115 and save yourself 40 Euro, but I don't think it's fair to compare prices based on that.

If it is a case of 155 v 148 Euro, I'd much rather buy it here and give the money to an Irish company along with all the other obvious advantages that go with it. Certainly if I was recommending the device to a friend I'd send them to this guy knowing that if there's any hassle he'll look after it and they won't come annoying me for help every time there's something wrong with one of their XBMC plug-ins!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Couple of listings on ebay (UK) for £105 (approx. €130) if you use parcel motel just add €3.50 shipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I have a Neo X7 running the official FW10 and it runs everything very well, particularly over WiFi.

I have another TV with an old WD Live box attached which I'd like to upgrade. I'm always very wary of getting V1 of any product but I'm tempted to go with Minix's new X8 which should (assuming it works as advertised) give me a good few years of future proofing, see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-core-Octa-core-licences-accelerated-Reseller/dp/B00KIH75VC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1401804675&sr=8-9&keywords=minix

What do people think? I know it's twice the price of other Android boxs which do a fine job of streaming but it does seem to be very powerful and capable of handling anything which will develop over the coming years. My logic is that 1 X €145 box lasting 5 years is better than 2 x €80 boxes lasting 2-3 years each.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement