Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair seating

Options
  • 15-03-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question on Ryanair's seating allocation. A friend and I are travelling to the UK (not booked yet) and would prefer to be seated together. If you book together usig the one card will you be allocated seats beside eah other? Or if you book separately but check in online at the same time is it likely you'll be given seats near each other? I haven't been able to find an answer to this online.
    Also, if I bring a small suitcase (the size allowed for hand luggage), will I be allowed it on the plane? I flew with Ryanair before with a small suitcase and was allowed it no problem but I've read about the 90 bag thing and just not sure.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

JIdontknow wrote: »
    With Ryanair you don't get seat allocations or numbers you just sit wherever you want- unless you reserve seating but once you're near the front of the normal boarding queue you'll be grand as ye can sit where you want apart from the first few rows for reserved seating.

This is simply not true.

Ryanair have introduced a system whereby everybody gets allocated a seat and this seat allocation can be decided by you if you pay €5 per person per flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Apologies I never knew that they implemented such things! Sorry for the false information in that case, previous post deleted as incorrect information was given

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Flew on Saturday just gone as a passenger, had booked with 2 other people. I checked in separately to the other 2, and my seat was apart from theirs, and they were seated together on both flights. So despite being on the same booking, we were seated apart, no big deal, it was a short flight. So I'd book at the same time and check in together.

RE the bags, we waited till the end instead of queuing in STN and whilst there was plenty of overhead locker space free, as we were last to board and more than 90 PAX were onboard, our bags were tagged and placed in the hold, free of charge, no major problem, as they were on the carousel before we got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

When did Ryanair introduce these changes regarding the seat numbers and first 90 bags? Never heard mention of it before, I imaging the carry on bag thing could be an issue if you carry medication etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

JIdontknow wrote: »
    When did Ryanair introduce these changes regarding the seat numbers and first 90 bags? Never heard mention of it before, I imaging the carry on bag thing could be an issue if you carry medication etc.

I believe it came into full force in February.

They allow a standard bag along with a small carry-on bag for things like duty free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Fagashlil wrote: »
    Flew on Saturday just gone as a passenger, had booked with 2 other people. I checked in separately to the other 2, and my seat was apart from theirs, and they were seated together on both flights. So despite being on the same booking, we were seated apart, no big deal, it was a short flight. So I'd book at the same time and check in together.

RE the bags, we waited till the end instead of queuing in STN and whilst there was plenty of overhead locker space free, as we were last to board and more than 90 PAX were onboard, our bags were tagged and placed in the hold, free of charge, no major problem, as they were on the carousel before we got there.

When you say book together and check in together, do you mean pay for 2 people on the same card? Or could we pay for ourselves on separate credit cards and then just check in at the exact same time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I checked myself and my friend in there tonight and we have ended up sitting together for both legs. Both tickets bought on the one card and checked in at the same time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

If you want to be guaranteed together, pay for the seats. Or you could decide to check in very early, that may work.

I flew back to Manchester with them during the week, I was really impressed. They kept us informed about the delay we had. I had an aisle seat near the front, so I waited to board, only having my backpack. Someone was sitting in my assigned seat, and cabin crew noticed immediately that I was talking to him. Sorted it in about five seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Flew Ryanair last week. Booked two seats with same card at same time, seated together going out and returning....all good.

Allowed one carry on bag (of certain size, check the website), up to 10 kg..travel partner had a medium sized handbag as well..

First 90 carry on bags are guaranteed to go in cabin, obviously because of space restrictions.

As far as I know, it can get a bit tricky allowing people to sit where they like, because if you have a good few empty seats, the crew will have to shift people around to get the weight distribution right for flight (not exactly a regular issue but still needs to be taken into consideration)....

When you say book together and check in together, do you mean pay for 2 people on the same card? Or could we pay for ourselves on separate credit cards and then just check in at the exact same time?

Yes, book the 2 tickets on the same card so they are under the same booking number. Where possible, they accommodate people with the same booking number together. The only way to gusrentee seats together checking in under separate booking numbers is to pay €5 per seat per sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

SamAK wrote: »
    As far as I know, it can get a bit tricky allowing people to sit where they like, because if you have a good few empty seats, the crew will have to shift people around to get the weight distribution right for flight (not exactly a regular issue but still needs to be taken into consideration)....
    I saw this in action a couple of weeks ago. For the first time in my experience on an FR flight it was only about 2/3rds full. No pax were allowed to sit after row 29 except two who had actually paid for their seats. It was all done in a very friendly fashion and the reasons explained.

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I saw this in action a couple of weeks ago. For the first time in my experience on an FR flight it was only about 2/3rds full. No pax were allowed to sit after row 29 except two who had actually paid for their seats. It was all done in a very friendly fashion and the reasons explained.

Cool...never actually seen it in action myself because most of the flights i've been on have been almost full.

I do know of a friend who was taking a regional flight with Aer Arann from Glasgow to Cork, she was on a business trip with colleagues, and one of them was a rather large chap.

The plane was one of those smaller propeller ATR-72's, which seats around 70 people, and the fat person was asked to sit on the other side of the plane opposite a couple of smaller people for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

The plane was one of those smaller propeller ATR-72's, which seats around 70 people, and the fat person was asked to sit on the other side of the plane opposite a couple of smaller people for obvious reasons rolleyes.png
    :D I hope the obvious reason is that he would have been squashing the other two not that they needed to balance the smaller ATR!

I have this picture of the pilots rolling in aileron trim to try and keep the aircraft level!;) and what if he decided to go to the toilet at the back during the flight? :eek:

folbotcar wrote: »
    :D I hope the obvious reason is that he would have been squashing the other two not that they needed to balance the smaller ATR!

I have this picture of the pilots rolling in aileron trim to try and keep the aircraft level!;) and what if he decided to go to the toilet at the back during the flight? :eek:

I'm sure he wasn't hugely obese.....I imagine it was just a case of two people sitting on one side and the cabin crew thought it best to spread the weight out a bit...just had a look at the interior....absolutely tiny!

0976946.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you think that's tiny, avoid flying regional in the US. ERJ, CR1/2 and B1900s are tiny, that isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

SamAK wrote: »

The plane was one of those smaller propeller ATR-72's, which seats around 70 people, and the fat person was asked to sit on the other side of the plane opposite a couple of smaller people for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

Just for information, we are only interested in fore and aft movement in regard to weight and balance not side to side. Also we use standard weights of 88kg for males and 70kg for females.

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Just for information, we are only interested in fore and aft movement in regard to weight and balance not side to side. Also we use standard weights of 88kg for males and 70kg for females.

Interesting....perhaps i've been mis-informed as to what actually happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Thanks everyone, we'll probably end up booking together and hope for the best. Thanks again for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

Hi everyone
    Can you tell me if they board the plane using both doors ?
    With the new allocated seating we are in row 19 which is after the exit seats as you enter from the top of the plane thus would make sense to boards from back of plane Do they call certain row numbers to board first or is it a free for all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Hi everyone
    With the new allocated seating we are in row 19 which is after the exit seats as you enter from the top of the plane thus would make sense to boards from back of plane Do they call certain row numbers to board first or is it a free for all?

Everybody still queues like mad for some reason. They have opened both doors on all of the flights I've been on. They don't call rows,
    just wait till the end to avoid queuing. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Hi everyone

Everybody still queues like mad for some reason. They have opened both doors on all of the flights I've been on. They don't call rows,

Hi everyone

With the exception of the small number of airports where airbridge are used, flights are boarded through both the FWD and AFT doors (unless back steps not being used due to high winds).

People who have booked priority are called first for boarding, followed by all other PAX, it's written in large bold print under your seat number to board from the FWD or AFT door, as you're in row 19 yours should say REAR, when you check in and print your boarding card you'll be able to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hi everyone

Your boarding pass tells you which door to use

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Greendiamond

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Boombastic wrote: »

Do you not risk having your hand luggage put into the hold though if you're not in the first 90 ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Andip wrote: »
    Do you not risk having your hand luggage put into the hold though if you're not in the first 90 ?

You do, but I've never found it to be an issue. They put my bag in the hold when I flew BVA - DUB, but by the time I was through security in Dublin it was on the carousel for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Just back from Lanzarote with Ryanair, had problems selecting seats for Dub to Ace, basically didn't give me the option to select or purchase seats.
    When we got to the airport I explained the situation at the checkin desk and was told that we would be seated separately, didn't bother me but Mrs Skibum wanted to have junior and his big sister beside her. I honestly was not expecting any sort of help, and didn't let it bother us, however a supervisor came over and told us to explain the situation at the gate as they don't like children being seated away from family.
    At the gate we were dealt with two extremely friendly staff members, after a few minutes we were assigned 25c, 26c, 27c, and 29c and told to join the priority Q..... :)

the next morning I went to check in for the return flight and was very pleasantly surprised to see that Ryanair has already allocated us premium seats 5c, d, e, f with priority boarding at no extra charge... :D

Looks like Ryanair are taking this new friendly approach seriously as on our 4 previous trips with they were nothing like this..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭John T Carroll

skibum wrote: »
    Just back from Lanzarote with Ryanair, had problems selecting seats for Dub to Ace, basically didn't give me the option to select or purchase seats.
    When we got to the airport I explained the situation at the checkin desk and was told that we would be seated separately, didn't bother me but Mrs Skibum wanted to have junior and his big sister beside her. I honestly was not expecting any sort of help, and didn't let it bother us, however a supervisor came over and told us to explain the situation at the gate as they don't like children being seated away from family.
    At the gate we were dealt with two extremely friendly staff members, after a few minutes we were assigned 25c, 26c, 27c, and 29c and told to join the priority Q..... :)

the next morning I went to check in for the return flight and was very pleasantly surprised to see that Ryanair has already allocated us premium seats 5c, d, e, f with priority boarding at no extra charge... :D

Looks like Ryanair are taking this new friendly approach seriously as on our 4 previous trips with they were nothing like this..

This from the Ryanair website

"From the 8th April 2014 onwards online check-in will open 30 days before each scheduled flight departure time for customers who purchase an allocated seat. Customers who do not wish to select and purchase an allocated seat, can check-in online between 7 days and 2 hours before each booked flight and will be randomly allocated a seat free of charge."

This, presumably, means that if going for more than 7 days, that the return checkin must be printed "at the other end" , not too convenient at times! but of course, if one spends a few measly euros on a seat(s) then one can print both checkins within 30 days.

Advertisement