Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a G.993.5 / G.Vectoring VDSL Modem

Options
  • 04-05-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Lets say someone wanted to replace their Eircom eFibre modem/router, what would people suggest as a replacement?

While folks know they can just use their Eircom F1000 as a modem by putting it in bridge mode, I'd be interested in know what VDSL modems are out there that support G.993.5 / G.Vectoring standard for VDSL.

Looking forward to suggestions for modem/router (wireless etc) options, and also just modems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Draytek Vigor 28xx series would be one of the better options. Not cheap though.

Fritzbox 77?? Is compatible but not performing well with vectoring it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

After a quick browse, Draytek looks good but those series of modem/routers are overkill in terms of features.

Turns out they make a modem only unit, the Draytek Vigor 130. In the latest firmware release it now supports G.993.5/G.Vector. Its just a modem which will be a slave to my router.
    Will report back on how it goes when it turns up. It might make no difference in comparison to the Eircom supplied unit.

Good stuff. Will be interesting to see how it does.

A poster in another thread linked to a forum suggesting that the F1000 is actually a decent performer, at least on long lines.

ED E wrote: »
    Good stuff. Will be interesting to see how it does.

A poster in another thread linked to a forum suggesting that the F1000 is actually a decent performer, at least on long lines.

Saw that as well during a Google search. Was a guy in the UK hacking the firmware right?

Will see how it goes, the modem was cheaper than a box of 300m outdoor shielded CAT5 to rerun the phone line to the pole :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Any update?

I'd love to be able to use my own router with Vodafone Fibre, but getting the username and password off them probably won't be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The username is the serial number @vfiefttc.ie and the password is broadband. No problems, loads of people are using other routers and have the vodafone one in bridge mode. I am using a TP-Link Archer C7 and I get transfer rates of around 300 Mbit/s to my NAS. Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sorry if this is a completely stupid noob question: I assume there is no issue with using an Apple Time Capsule/Airport Express with the Vodafone supplied modem router being set in bridge mode?

Any update?

Only had 10min to tinker around with it when it arrived. It worked, sync'd but only at 25Mbps down instead of my usual 30Mbps. Will need a little more time to see if vectoring is working right. Could just be down to the latest firmware not implementing vectoring 100% correct or that the chip they use isn't as good as the Zyxel f1000 :) Will report back when I tinker more. I see a customer support case being opened with Draytek real soon :cool:

The username is the serial number @vfiefttc.ie and the password is broadband. No problems, loads of people are using other routers and have the vodafone one in bridge mode. I am using a TP-Link Archer C7 and I get transfer rates of around 300 Mbit/s to my NAS. Great job.

The HG568c Serial Number or what?

So I can use my own modem on it's own with the Vodafone one as a modem?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Only had 10min to tinker around with it when it arrived. It worked, sync'd but only at 25Mbps down instead of my usual 30Mbps. Will need a little more time to see if vectoring is working right. Could just be down to the latest firmware not implementing vectoring 100% correct or that the chip they use isn't as good as the Zyxel f1000 :) Will report back when I tinker more. I see a customer support case being opened with Draytek real soon :cool:

I sync at 100Mb so I'll have to get a good router I suppose.

Thanks all for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Ya it's the serial number from the modem, eg Qxxxxxxxxxx@vfiefttc.ie
    Any cable modem should work fine with the Vodafone modem bridged into it.

Yep. If you play around with the inspect element trick that allows you to see max attainable you can get your username too.

Ya you can use any modem, router etc you like it just has to be compliant with the standards eircom use. Best thing is to put the Vodafone modem in bridge mode and use a good router.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a completely stupid noob question: I assume there is no issue with using an Apple Time Capsule/Airport Express with the Vodafone supplied modem router being set in bridge mode?

No prob.

Yep. If you play around with the inspect element trick that allows you to see max attainable you can get your username too.

Ya you can use any modem, router etc you like it just has to be compliant with the standards eircom use. Best thing is to put the Vodafone modem in bridge mode and use a good router.

I see!
    Sorry for all the questions, do you know where do inspect on the page to find the username?
    Thanks

I can't remember and I don't have time to check now because I need to manually connect to it with an ethernet cable because it's in bridge mode so can't log in over wifi. I'll have a look when I can.

I sync at 100Mb so I'll have to get a good router I suppose.

Each to their own - another reason for me to use a non-ISP provided device is that I always have a feeling that the ISP has a backdoor into the device they provide which they are entitled to do since the equipment is theirs.

Anywho, will update later on should the device get better.

Note, if your discussing how to get your ISP provided device into bridge mode, please open a new thread related.

Each to their own - another reason for me to use a non-ISP provided device is that I always have a feeling that the ISP has a backdoor into the device they provide which they are entitled to do since the equipment is theirs.

Its not a backdoor, its a full management system. That doesnt mean they see you logging into "http:www.dirtywebsitofsomesort.com", just allows them to update your modem remotely and assist. Even if you dont use their gear, you still have to trust your ISP unless you VPN everything.

ED E wrote: »
    Its not a backdoor, its a full management system. That doesnt mean they see you logging into "http:www.dirtywebsitofsomesort.com", just allows them to update your modem remotely and assist. Even if you dont use their gear, you still have to trust your ISP unless you VPN everything.

Believe what you/I will - I don't like having a device on my network which others can manage/login to. Each to their own etc. etc.

Believe what you/I will - I don't like having a device on my network which others can manage/login to. Each to their own etc. etc.

I have UPC firmly on the outside of my LAN, theyd have to breach my firewall to get in. That said, all my traffic to the net goes through them so its just something to be mindful of.

I was looking at the log on the Vodafone modem and there's a part that says this:
    2010-01-01 00:02:05 User Management cms 1 Change management server configuration(User:F83DFFQ8Y7NA9014525293, ConnectRequestUser:F83DFF-HG658c-Q8000A9430000493, ConnectRequestPort:8081).
    2010-01-01 00:02:02 User Management cms 1 Change management server configuration(User:vodafone, ConnectRequestUser:F83DFF-HG658c-Q8Y7NA0000900093, ConnectRequestPort:8081).
    Just wondering would any of that be the username?
    (Obviously I changed some of it just in case hence the many 0's :P )

• Advertisement

Tin foil hat time!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I was looking at the log on the Vodafone modem and there's a part that says this:
    2010-01-01 00:02:05 User Management cms 1 Change management server configuration(User:F83DFFQ8Y7NA9014525293, ConnectRequestUser:F83DFF-HG658c-Q8000A9430000493, ConnectRequestPort:8081).
    2010-01-01 00:02:02 User Management cms 1 Change management server configuration(User:vodafone, ConnectRequestUser:F83DFF-HG658c-Q8Y7NA0000900093, ConnectRequestPort:8081).
    Just wondering would any of that be the username?
    (Obviously I changed some of it just in case hence the many 0's :P )

I see the username [ without having to play around with the inspect stuff / software version V100R001C172B214] : go to BASIC , then WAN : select the PTM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET_R_VID_10 connection : you should see your username below

Vico1612 wrote: »
    I see the username [ without having to play around with the inspect stuff / software version V100R001C172B214] : go to BASIC , then WAN : select the PTM_TR069_VOIP_INTERNET_R_VID_10 connection : you should see your username below

Thanks!

I actually found that one my own from looking around, the password shows only as ****** and I can't interact with it.

Does anyone know how I can find my password?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Thanks!

I actually found that one my own from looking around, the password shows only as ****** and I can't interact with it.

broadband

Due to what I would consider bad customer support from DrayTek.co.uk, I don't think I will be buying/suggesting to others any DrayTek devices anytime soon for home or professional use.
    Up and onwards

Thanks!

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but the Eircom and Vodafone supplied routers provide the best solution at the moment. Buying 3rd party modems is just wasting money. Buying a 3rd party router and putting the ISP box in bridge mode is the only upgrade worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but the Eircom and Vodafone supplied routers provide the best solution at the moment. Buying 3rd party modems is just wasting money. Buying a 3rd party router and putting the ISP box in bridge mode is the only upgrade worth thinking about.

As long as you're happy with Eircom / Vodafone having backdoor access to your network....

Deagol wrote: »
    As long as you're happy with Eircom / Vodafone having backdoor access to your network....

And what exactly are they going to do? Do you think there's some guy in Eircom sitting down snooping away for kicks?

So tell me, what exactly do they have access to?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

And what exactly are they going to do? Do you think there's some guy in Eircom sitting down snooping away for kicks?

So tell me, what exactly do they have access to?

all they can do is configure you modem... thats it. everything is logged so if any eircom employee does malicious things to your modem they will be caught as it is all logged.

• Advertisement

all they can do is configure you modem... thats it. everything is logged so if any eircom employee does malicious things to your modem they will be caught as it is all logged.

Yep. I just don't like the implications that they can go snooping around your laptop etc. It's ridiculous.

Advertisement