Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

BB,

Join the unfinished business brigade in Limerick, if the injury has healed, you'll blast it.

TbL

I think I've fallen out of love with marathons :(

wrstan wrote: »
    ^^^ wise words them!

Hope you're doing Ok Dom

Cheers Bill -see you Weds night?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I think I've fallen out of love with marathons :(

I totally get that, it must be awful to put so much work into one race and then have something come along and ruin all your hard work. It puts me off ever wanting to do another marathon. I hope you feel better soon BB, I think the faster stuff suits you better and you have a real turn of speed (did I read that 3k is your favourite event?). You know better than me, but the marathon isn't for everybody, it's just one event among many. It's put on a bit of a pedestal on here, but I know lot's of great, great club runners who have done everything there is to do in running, but just don't see the appeal of the marathon and have never and will never run one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

pconn062 wrote: »
    I totally get that, it must be awful to put so much work into one race and then have something come along and ruin all your hard work. It puts me off ever wanting to do another marathon. I hope you feel better soon BB, I think the faster stuff suits you better and you have a real turn of speed (did I read that 3k is your favourite event?). You know better than me, but the marathon isn't for everybody, it's just one event among many. It's put on a bit of a pedestal on here, but I know lot's of great, great club runners who have done everything there is to do in running, but just don't see the appeal of the marathon and have never and will never run one.

I hear what you are saying Pconn, especially as I've done some shorter stuff lately and really enjoyed it, and yes the marathon isn't for everyone but from following BB's log, and seeing the massive amount of effort he put into it, in my novice, non expert opinion he should give it another lash. Without that basketball he surely would have smashed his PB. If he doesn't get back on the saddle he may look back and regret it in later years (he's no spring chicken :) )

In my experience the extraordinary lows of not achieving a marathon goal can last for quite a while, especially after such a dedicated training cycle. There's nothing as sweet as coming back with a vengeance to exorcise those demons.

Anyway whatever BB decides best of luck to him.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Cheers Bill -see you Weds night?

I'm hoping to be there, but sadly only to cheer and maybe steer. Had my first pain free run in about 4 weeks today, so am in no racing form.

Look forward to a catchup.

• Advertisement

Wicklow 5k Road Race Championships

So the alternative route to a Master's 5k PB.
    * Bruise your ribs
    * Run 16 miles of a marathon
    * Go on pi$$ and eat junk food for 10 days
    * Do a couple of jogs and spins on the bike
    * Eat kiddie party food - 90 mins before the race, so much so that you have to do a little forced puke before the race :p

Fab turn out for this, 160+ I believe, the biggest field in years.
    Remarked before the race that I wouldn't mind just watching this one unfold.
    With a few runners unavailable Bray were skinny for the senior team, so a couple of Ibu beforehand and I made my way to Ashford.

I only done a short warm up, with a few strides, a quick chat with Krusty, Emer and some rivals and lined up in the mood to run hard and see what happens.

Got a good start, stayed out of trouble and settled in about 12th place half way through the 1st k, sitting in behind a pack of Parnell runners, 3:18 by the course marker.

Muscled my way into the Parnell pack halfway through the 2nd k and eventually dragged Tony C with me as we edged away a little. Through 2k in 6:44.

Long straight up to the turn point now and I try and stretch it out, see Neil and Gary as they turn and give them an encouraging shout, get some encouragement from team mates as I turn for home.
    I'm not shaking Tony, but I'm surprisingly clear minded and recall thinking heals out, hands pocket to ear. 10:12 through 3k.

One of the Junior Greystones runners is falling out the back of the group ahead, so he becomes the focus as I try and gain some distance. Catch him as we cross the roundabout and on a slight downhill section I get the legs turning over, still feeling Tony behind me sheltering from the breeze. 13:37 as I pass 4k.

Last k and I'm dead on my feet and only the thought of the finish line keeps me going. I'm edging closer to another Greystones junior, but he seems out of reach. The legs are filling up, so I just concentrating on keeps the arms moving as fast as I can. Catch him with about 100 to go, ensure I get in his running path (he's a sub 4:30 miler), he comes back at me and I just about hold him off.

6th place overall, 1st M45, 16:52 lowering my master's PB by 20 secs and a 34 second improvement so far this year.
    Team results to follow, I'd say we are out of the running with a few key runners missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Delighted for you :D
    Logically we know all the hard work and fitness don't vanish with one bad race or a small lay off, but damn it's good to have it confirmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

that's a super performance - sub 17 - with a couple of working ribs.

Delighted for you - well deserved and maybe this is life throwing you a bone after London :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Wow, quite the performance.

I think it was in Noake's book The Lore of Running where he was talking about the taper and described a number of cases where runners through injury or illness had an enforced lay off from running before a goal race (the Olympics or some other such event:rolleyes:) and performed amazingly. I reckon there might be something to be said for taking a full week off before a 5k. Maybe not laying in to the booze and the junk food though. ;) Certainly seems to have worked for you.

Savage going BB, well done

TbL

• Advertisement

Thanks chaps, there was a bit of frustration released this evening :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great stuff, onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fantastic run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Fair play, great to see you bounce back so quickly and get the reward deserved for a great block of training.

Sets you up nicely for the summer

Team results to follow, I'd say we are out of the running with a few key runners missing.

Tied on 20pts with 1st place, lost on countback - boo
    All Tim's fault as ID only entered an aul lads team, so he didn't count in the results :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Superb Dom. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tied on 20pts with 1st place, lost on countback - boo
    All Tim's fault as ID only entered an aul lads team, so he didn't count in the results :P

Ha I got a few very tidy reinforcements coming up the junior ranks in ID, you just wait, we'll have a decent senior team soon :p! Although the greystones lads keep harassing me to switch club ha, I'm stubbornly loyal till I die however! If only we could string together SliC teams for leinsters/All Irelands more often!

DAB Graded 3k - 9:51 Watch Time

Lot of hanging around for this, a few chats with Timmaay and ecoli plus a few others while watching some of the races. Was getting quite cold so retreated to the car for a while before getting organised and ready for a warm up.

Getting everyone to the line was a bit messy, but lined up just outside ecoli in lane 2.
    Plan was to get to a good start, run steady and finish strong and that's exactly how it played out.
    75 through lap one with Jim Davies calling the splits, a bit quick but no panic, back in about 11th/12th place.
    The target was 80 secs per lap and I just dialled into that pace from there, listening out for Jim's splits and always hearing :X5 or :X6 as I passed him.
    Had to take a place on bend after 600 and done this rather than lose momentum, went through 1k in 3:15.
    Passed 2 more handy enough on the back straight and was getting good support from Gary Crossan who was there to support Maria.
    Another place just before 2k and Jim calls 6:35, 5 secs in the bag and it feels comfortable.
    800 to go and I split up 2 junior runners, I drop one, but the other kicks on, starting to work hard now and I see 8:35 with a lap to go. Start closing on the other junior in the back straight, but he guns it from 200.
    I go on a more measured ramp up and run hard off the final bend for an estimated 76 for the last lap.
    Very happy with this with no speed work, well executed and an 8 sec masters PB (pending official results)

Thought I spotted you yesterday but wasn't sure until I seen that distinct singlet in the 3k, I'm always cautious of approaching people in case it's the wrong person! Great run, you're in good from at moment.

Thought I spotted you yesterday but wasn't sure until I seen that distinct singlet in the 3k, I'm always cautious of approaching people in case it's the wrong person! Great run, you're in good from at moment.

I'll probably do another few, pop over and say hello next time.

• Advertisement

Athletics Wicklow County T&F Champs 800mts

Considered doing this, but without a fixed start time it's difficult to commit to on a bank holiday weekend. A quick call from the county chairperson, a 2hr visa obtained and I'm on my to breezy Charlesland. Some exciting races from the younger ages and I'm sure the wind was picking up and the clouds starting swirling!

Went for a warm up jog, had a chat with a few of juniors, one was fresh off a 2:02 in the schools, followed by some strides and drills. Was hoping to dip under 2:20, but was unsure how much the wind would impact.
    Then found out the junior, senior and master race would be combined, so the final bit of prep turn into a hurried get the gear on.

Maybe 10+ in this, all starting on the curve rather than the traditional 800mt staggered start which led to a bit of a melee into the 1st corner.
    I got to the inside quickly back in 6th place taking some shelter from the stiff breeze on the back straight. From about 200 the 4 at the front opened a gap and I nipped in behind a master from Kilcoole around the bend before popping to get ahead of him on finishing straight, a place he didn't want to give up too easily, but I got back on the inside as we hit the bell - 68 was called.

Having to work hard again on the breezy section, there are footsteps behind me that I just can't shake. Get a good shout from wrstan with 200 to as I'm trying to hold off a challenge around the bend, making sure they need to go the long way.
    He gets ahead of me with about 120 to go and both of us challenge and get past 4th place. I'm about 3-4 mts back with 60 to go, so I just dig deep and keep driving, slowly closing I lunge for the line and must have taken 4th by the width of a vest.
    An enjoyable outing 4th overall, 1st Master for 2:17.4

Went for a warm down afterwards, trying my best not to cough up my right lung.

Bit of fun doing this arseways, 2 track races, 2 masters PBs - speedwork starts on Tuesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Just getting caught up on all your activities. :eek: You've been a very busy boy! I like your post marathon style. Well done you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Turning into a bit a race wh**re now?
    I guess the ribs are all better so? :D:cool:

14179448493_9d66ed65d0_b.jpg

Going to get back in the habit of posting again, haven't been following any structure really, just running as the body sees fit to.
    Focus for the next 3 months until the summer hols will be short races up to 5k mainly, speedwork and drills on the track and hope nothing goes pop.
    6 days running pw, 2 sessions, 1 x 90mins hilly + filler miles and strides on the other days with the odd double if time allows, mileage range 50-60.

Targets: < 9:45 3k, < 4:55 Mile, < 2:15 800mts.

Last week was my 1st above 40 miles since VMLM week.
    Was due to get to the track on Tuesday, but had to take Luke to training, so ran a pretty hilly progression run, felt good to get the HR up for a sustained effort.
    Few strides on Thursday, focusing on form and getting the hips open.
    Managed a hilly 10 this morning while Luke was playing a match, made it back for the last 15mins.

Running Totals
    WTD: 45.9 [73.8]
    MTD: 73.5 [118.3]
    YTD: 1,207.6 [1943.0]
    Races YTD: 12
    Masters PBs: 5

BB,

Best of luck with the short stuff over the next few weeks, you're in great shape to lower your PB's

Are you not getting that tingling just under your skin yet, that marathon itch that wants to be scratched!!

TbL

Best of luck with the short stuff over the next few weeks, you're in great shape to lower your PB's

Thanks

Are you not getting that tingling just under your skin yet, that marathon itch that wants to be scratched!!

TbL

No ;), I'm looking forward to getting back into build, race, reset, recover, repeat off shorter cycles.

But I have to say following the EOI bunch on FB it looks like good craic, might add a few as part of my winter training.

I would say you could bash out a 4.55 mile now BB, especially off your recent 5k time!

I would say you could bash out a 4.55 mile now BB, especially off your recent 5k time!

But not by my 800 time, will need some speed work I expect.

Fit4Life 1 Mile Track
    Master's PB - 4:57

My head was a little fried after a tough day in work, but was looking forward to chucking the gear on and heading for the track. Arrived in plenty of time and met Krusty who was surveying the tartan from a height.

It was an almost perfect evening for it with mild enough temperatures and only the gentlest of breezes blowing down the back straight.

Seen some of the usual faces around, but the Juniors were a notable absence with more important track priorities on their agenda.

Went for an easy warm up, mainly on my todd, before going through a routine of strides and drills.

The races were in 1 min grades with the sub 5:30 grade number 2 on the schedule. Didn't take too much notice but maybe 10-12 in this one. I was hoping for, rather than expecting sub 5, but at least laying down a marker to be improved on.

Lap 1 - Made sure I got a good jump to the inside early and worked hard until the back straight, gave up a few places here and went through 409 in 72.

Lap 2 - This was all about concentration, I was mindful that lap one was a little faster than planned and I focused on form and breathing, still in 5th and about 6-7 mts behind Krusty, I heard 2:27 so a 75 sec lap.

Lap 3 - I was already beginning to work hard, there's someone sitting on my shoulder. I put in a solid lap hoping to maintain the delta I built up and again managed another 75 as 3:42 is called at the bell.

Lap 4 - This is tough, I'm running through treacle, the breathing quickens and the lactic is coming in big waves. I get passed halfway down the back straight and I just try and hang on for dear life. Look for an extra gear off the final bend but it's not there, I close marginally on 4th, but I'm just happy to see the line with a disappointing 75 sec last lap.

Happy overall, the mile is a leveller and my lack of speedwork told on the final lap. But reasonably confident with some specific training I can go 72-75-75-72.

• Advertisement

Nicely done BB, that's a great run at this time of year without any real speedwork. Must see if we can get a race together over the mile this year (not of the beer variety!).

Advertisement