Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishlist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Eoin wrote: »
    I got a second hand Seiko solar diver a few weeks ago, and while I love the looks, it's not been too reliable. Because I'm not in direct sunlight most of the time, it has stopped on me more than once. I've a good bit of natural light at work which I hoped would be enough, but it seems not.

I rotate my watches anyway, so just leave it on the windowsill for a couple of days to get it charged up again, but it's a bit of a pain in the tits that I can't rely on it 100%.

I don't know if that's the same mechanism as the one you're looking at, so this may all be irrelevant.

Well it may be, it may not be own but it's certainly something I wouldn't have thought of. I'd have been inclined to think that in this day and age they'd have that sort of thing sorted out. Closer to the time of an actual purchase I'll do some research and see if there has been any/many complaints with that particular watch.

Many thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I just came across this tonight. I really like its simple stylish looks. I'll have to consider this as a future purchase. What are the solar movements like? Do they keep time as effectively as a regular movement?

You had me going there for a minute with the "solar movement" and I had to google the watch and the movement mentioned :mad:

It turns out that the watch is solar powered. The watch time-keeping shouldn't be affected what powers it, a capacitor (rechargeable battery) or the usual Lithium battery. I own a Protrek which barely sees the sun and in the three years since I bought it, only one time I noticed the indicator going to M from H (medium to high). I'd say Eoin's watch needs a capacitor replacement as it lost its ability to hold charge. I say that as I had an older Eco-drive Citizen which was working just fine and it was subject of the same treatment regarding solar exposure.
    Citizen%2520001.jpg

Solar powered watches are not yet as they are advertised, never to need a battery replacement, it should be not that often as a quartz one. I opted for a solar Protrek just for this feature and although I own a few "normal" ABC watches powered by CR type batteries, the solar one remains my favorite and it was on my wrist last year on 21st december, just in case I was about to witness the end of the world and somehow managed to survive it :D
    Watches%252007.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

update on my post
    A September 1978 6309 - i managed to get an april 1978 - close enough for now

Current list of WiD

Omega Speedmaster Professional
    35735000-20.png

Omega SEAMASTER 300M CHRONOMETER
    22208000-20.png

Or

Omega SEAMASTER 300M GMT
    25358000-20.png

Or
    Tag Heuer - 2012 Aquaracer 500m Ceramic Ref. WAK2110.BA0830
    Tag+Heuer+Aquaracer+500m+Black+Dial.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

really hankering after a big pilot, might be too big for me tho

iwc-big-pilot_s-watch-02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cyrus

I have a BP and really love it; I'm a huge monster through (Railmaster XXL looks like a normal sized watch on me). Some of the slimmer folks I've met find it had to keep it stable on the wrist and the onion crown will scrape the back of your hand and encourage some hardened skin if you wear it with any frequency.

All that said, I love it.

Marcus

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Cyrus

I have a BP and really love it; I'm a huge monster through (Railmaster XXL looks like a normal sized watch on me). Some of the slimmer folks I've met find it had to keep it stable on the wrist and the onion crown will scrape the back of your hand and encourage some hardened skin if you wear it with any frequency.

All that said, I love it.

Marcus

thats what im worried about alright, im 6ft 1 and have a 7.25" wrist, id imagine its borderline, although most of the small asian chaps i see wearing them dont seem to care :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    thats what im worried about alright, im 6ft 1 and have a 7.25" wrist, id imagine its borderline, although most of the small asian chaps i see wearing them dont seem to care :D

You need to organise a 2-3 day test drive!

How do you find the size of the Daytona? I have a number of friends with lots of watches. Some can match PPs and Daytonas at either end of their size scale. Another is comfortable with Daytona, Sub and AP ROO but finds Calatrava too slight. Neither felt comfortable with my Big Pilot. The 45.5mm PO was about as big as they felt comfortable with. The BP "wears" muchbigger than the POXL.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You need to organise a 2-3 day test drive!

How do you find the size of the Daytona? I have a number of friends with lots of watches. Some can match PPs and Daytonas at either end of their size scale. Another is comfortable with Daytona, Sub and AP ROO but finds Calatrava too slight. Neither felt comfortable with my Big Pilot. The 45.5mm PO was about as big as they felt comfortable with. The BP "wears" muchbigger than the POXL.

ive never owned a daytona, its on the wishlist :)

I currently have a ceramic sub, IWC Top Gun 43mm, Cartier santos 100 XL and IWC Portuguese Chrono. All of which fit fine, the sub being the smallest.

I have owned both styles of panerai luminor and radiomir and again found the 44 and 45mm cases fine....

Cyrus wrote: »
    ive never owned a daytona, its on the wishlist :)

I currently have a ceramic sub, IWC Top Gun 43mm, Cartier santos 100 XL and IWC Portuguese Chrono. All of which fit fine, the sub being the smallest.

I have owned both styles of panerai luminor and radiomir and again found the 44 and 45mm cases fine....

We have some similar tastes. Have always liked the sub but find it wears too small (have SMP and POXL). Bought a Santos 100XL but found the movement was broken when I took it home (not sure how I didn't notice) so rejected the purchase but the dealer couldn't source another at the same price (not interestedin a warranty repair on a new item), have a black/silver Port Chrono (which I love). I still have my Panerai Luminor Daylight chrono (plus Speedy, AT2500 and some others).

The BP wears a lot heavier than the PAnerai but I find it sits in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

http://photos.independent.ie/gallery/CSE_Las_Vegas/slideshow/Consumer_Electronics_Show/00bTb3I29U6cx

Casio Bluetooth watch that syncs with a smartphone (currently Apple 4 & 5, more models due IIRC)

In case you have a space in your display box ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Well if the rumours are to be believed Apple are going to try and revolutionize the watch market by bringing out their own watch in the near future. I'll find a link and post it later with more detailed info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It'll be interesting to see what their designers come up with as for me anyway the "smart watch" market is a little high on geek and low on sleek so far. I seem to recall years ago (before Jobs' return when apples skunkworks were very innovative) they had an apple watch mockup.

They could go widescreen a la an early 80's Omega analogue/digital vibe;
    iwatch-the-concept-apple-watch.jpg
    Omega
    037.jpg

Or go wide, but asymmetrical a la some of the French Lip creations of the 70's
    An-Apple-Watch-For-2013-i-watch.jpg
    LIP
    lip_mafia_moon.JPGLip had some funkaaay watch design going on at the time

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i think i'll be adding the pebble to my wishlist

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i think i'll be adding the pebble to my wishlist

I was a backer of the pebble. Im just (patiently) waiting on my delivery. Should be shipping soon so they say.

Current list of WiD

Omega Speedmaster Professional 3573.50.00

Omega SEAMASTER 300M CHRONOMETER 2220.80.00

Omega SEAMASTER 300M GMT 2535.80.00

Tag Heuer - 2012 Aquaracer 500m Ceramic Ref. WAK2110.BA0830

Update to include
    Pebble
    photo-full.jpg

and
    Tudor Pelagos pelagos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Not sure if a thread like this has been started yet, but was just wondering what the next purchase people out there were considering...

for me I am longing for something with a white face...I have a diver with a black dial, a "flieger" - Stowa Ikarus and a PVD black dial chrono aviator. Also the Tag Link as a dress watch

I think to compliment what I have a marine would be a nice choice and as a chrono. I'm really happy with the Ikarus quality so their Marine Chrono Matt finish is probably going to be it but it will be a while off yet

Marine_Chrono_matt_07.jpg

Somehow I keep taking a peak at their 1938 polished Chrono every now and again as everything about it just oozes beauty

Stowa_Chrono1938_crbr.jpg

However, I know if I got the 1938m I would still have a longing for the Marine

What's on everyone elses Wish List?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd love a Dodane type 21, from the 50's/60's
    596520DODANE016.jpg

A Czech Longines pilots watch from the 1930's
    63879446_640.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

1291829446_jaeger-lecoultre-tribute-to-1931-reverso_1_zps75ff6ab7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Something in blue...like a Monaco

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

A Pepsi bezel GMT Rolex. But only if I win the lotto.

• Advertisement

... or gmt explorer 2. Black face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The watch I'd love to get is very different to what I am likely to get!

I'm thinking of a Tag Heuer Monza or older style Monaco; or maybe something like this:

SRX007a.jpg

A few nice Maurice LaCroix models out there too:

LC1138-SS001-110.jpg

Think I'll hold off for a good while though; I've been wearing the one watch pretty much solid for the last few months.

But only if I win the lotto.
    A lotto win you say? :D

In that case...

Longines made for the Israeli airforce back in the day.
    longIDFa.jpg

Zenith Cairelli made for the Italian airforce back in the day.
    Zenith_Montre_chronographe_Zenith_640_360_s_c1_center_center.jpg

Seikosha(Seiko) made for the Japanese airforce back in teh day(oh oh there appears to be a pattern here :o:))
    a67.jpg

Oh well far from me to buck a trend... A Glashutte Chrono made for the Luftwaffe back in the day.
    826.jpg

The joke is that lot with all that history and all that investment potential could be had for small enough money for even fairly comfortable folks with some disposable laying around. Put it this way the lot could be had for far less than a new midrange Beemer, whose value will plummet like a stone the second you drive it away. No lotto really required. Sadly I'm just a brokeass and cheap bastid. :(:)

PS the truly sad part for me at least, is that I was offered two out of that list for what would be buttons these days and turned them down. I just about had the money, but figured it would be too much to pay. Colour me a thick. OK one was the Glashutte. Offered at 400 quid in 1999. DOH! The second is too much to admit to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Likely to buy: Seiko SKX007 - classic diver - maybe later this year....

Would like to buy (and will in a yr or 2): Stowa Marine

Would like to build a little fund for a Heuer Carrera 45 like this one: http://www.chrono24.com/en/heuer/carrera-45--id1467805.htm

Unfortunately, watches come low on the actual priority list at the mo - but, I suppose it'd be no fun if it was easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭jefferson73

Blancpain+Fifty+Fathoms+Tribute+To+Fifty+Fathoms.jpg
    jaeger-lecoultre-deep-sea-vintage-chronograph-863615-jpg_757435_560x240.JPG

blaken-rolex-milgauss-viper-green-6-630x420.jpg

S-SBGW047_a_1024x1024.jpg?v=1375850193

Well, needless to say I didn't win the lotto last night ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I dont think this watch has been featured here before, but tis making me salivate! It is a watch for blind people....but I am blinded by my love for it!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26920782

_74101876_624-watch-lead.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Saw that last night - very cool.

My list keeps changing - though a Rolex Explorer II, IWC Portuguese and a Tag Heuer Monaco are pretty constant these days.

Edit: while in Berlin last week, I had a good look at the droolworthy watches for sale in the KaDeWe shopping mall. Fantastic selection, my wife nearly had to drag me out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I dont think this watch has been featured here before, but tis making me salivate! It is a watch for blind people....but I am blinded by my love for it!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26920782

I actually have one of these! I supported these guys on Kickstarter and picked up one with a blue leather strap. I haven't worn it yet, really, but I'll take a pic this evening to post here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

dancrowley wrote: »
    I actually have one of these! I supported these guys on Kickstarter and picked up one with a blue leather strap. I haven't worn it yet, really, but I'll take a pic this evening to post here :)

Here you go!

The ball bearing on the face marks the minutes and the guy on the outside does the hours.

Advertisement