Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospitals wanting to know your religion?

Options
  • 06-03-2014 5:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The hospital can ask you any question they deem fit. Your input or thoughts on this are not required. If you don't wish to answer any question that is your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

If you're in a hospital, in a coma or under anesthetic and need a blood transfusion, how would the doctor know whether your religion permits blood transfusions or not?

Tbh, asking what a persons religious beliefs are isn't really an intrusive question so why not just tell them. It could save your life, and their time!

And I agree with the above, it is your right to not answer the question but it may be in your best interest to answer it.

EDIT: I just read your thread in After Hours and even though AH doesn't usually take things too seriously, I think the first post sounded pretty genuine and non-sarcastic. And it tells you in a nutshell why you should state your religion and occupation.
    Well I suppose it depends certain religions don't allow blood transfusions while certain occupations will have you exposed to different germs, toxins, pesticides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

You only have to tell them so they don't treat you like a Catholic, last rites etc... or if you have a religion that forbids certain medical treatments like blood transfusion. They are asking so they don't get in trouble for doing the wrong thing, protecting them and you, its really only a worst case scenario requirement. If your an atheist why not tell them?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I went in for a procedure a few years back and they took my details but they never asked me my religion,

My wife happened to see the computer monitor during all this and mentioned to me after that they just automatically put me down as Catholic...without asking!

I went back and made them change it, they should never have assumed I was a catholic,
    I have no problem with being asked my faith in a hospital, I just wish I was actually asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I put down no religion when I was asked. I found it more bizarre to be asked my occupation - the secretary had no explanation for that one beyond mumbling something about statistics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

certain occupations carry specific risks, it's purely for informative purposes to help narrow down a diagnosis and treatment possibilities in the case of any issues that may arise, they have all possible relevant info to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You are perfectly within your rights not to answer the question - however you will be given last rights etc in the case of an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dovies wrote: »
    You are perfectly within your rights not to answer the question - however you will be given last rights etc in the case of an emergency.
    if i was conscious i'd object, but if i was unconscious and i died, it's not going to matter a whole lot either way.

well, unless there really is a heaven, in which case i just got a free pass, woohoo! :pac:

vibe666 wrote: »
    if i was conscious i'd object, but if i was unconscious and i died, it's not going to matter a whole lot either way.

well, unless there really is a heaven, in which case i just got a free pass, woohoo! :pac:

It's a comfort to know you can spend your final moments wearing poly-cotton blend nightwear and horsing the shellfish into you, and it'll not matter a damn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lazygal wrote: »
    I put down no religion when I was asked. I found it more bizarre to be asked my occupation - the secretary had no explanation for that one beyond mumbling something about statistics!

I suppose if you worked in chemicals or something you might have a higher risk of some things

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I suppose if you worked in chemicals or something you might have a higher risk of some things

If the person taking the details had said that, no problem. But she didn't seem to know herself why the information was needed, she referred to statistics not hazards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

They need to know what to do with you if you die. That depends entirely on your religion/lack of religion. It's that simple.

Also, some hospitals give Catholics communion every day. Maybe if you're a Muslim, they'd ensure you got Halal meat. If you're Jewish, Kosher food and medical products.

An example of an occupational hazard: Welders are at risk of getting metal in their eye. If you have metal in your eye and get an MRI scan, the magnets will pull on the metal. So if you're a welder, they might ask if you've ever got metal in your eye, and/or take an X-Ray of your eyes before giving you an MRI scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

catallus wrote: »
    The hospital can ask you any question they deem fit.

What gives you that, wrong, impression? They can only ask you questions relevant to your reason for being in the hospital (e.g. what were you doing that caused the fall that broke your leg? or are you allergic to any anesthetics?) as a patient and general health questions (e.g. are you eating your five a day? or how many units of alcahol do you drink in a week?). Asking about your religion has nothing to do with your health or will it improve the level of service the hospital provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Both occupation and religion are relevant for both medical and statistical purposes.

If I know in advance that a woman is Muslim, as a male doctor I can presume that she's less likely to allow me to perform a gynaecological examination, for example (obviously I'd approach this sensitively regardless, but in my experience it's particularly sensitive for Muslims).

I'm not going to explain an illness the same way to my patient, who is a nurse, as I would to my patient who is a teacher. I'd use different language.

Unemployed people (for example) by and large, suffer from more health issues and have more problems accessing healthcare. This needs to be taken into account when assessing them and formulating a management plan.

These are just examples. I could go on. Job and religion (moreso job, to be honest, but religion also) frequently come into healthcare decisions and planning.

The statistics are needed because they are used in allocating hospital budgets, depending on the types of people being treated (i.e. a public hospital treating a large population of unemployed or low skilled workers in a deprived area needs more money than one in a settled, middle class area where everyone has insurance and half the people go to the local private hospital anyway). Statistics are vital in medicine: they are used for clinical audit and improving healthcare.

And yes, there's the last rites thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,335 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As others have said, it has no implications for your personal medical treatment, but it's valuable information in the bigger picture in terms of understanding the population the hospital serves.

As for your own situation, while it won't affect your medical treatment, if you give a religious indentification, and if it becomes relevant, the hospital may be more likely to ask you (or your family) if you (or they) want spiritual assistance from a chaplain, etc. (They may ask you this anyway, even if you haven't answered the question.) And if you die with no identifiable next-of-kin - this does happen occasionally - so that the HSE is organising a funeral for you, they will take account of any religious identification you have given.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you say you've no religion, they'll send a priest around later to hassle you. At least, that's what happened to me :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ninja900 wrote: »
    If you say you've no religion, they'll send a priest around later to hassle you. At least, that's what happened to me :rolleyes:

Was the priest just assuming or was he trying to convert you? :pac:

surely the hospital could break DPA if they told a priest your faith, is it not personal information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I posted a thread in AH a few weeks ago about this and got the official party line on such matters from the god fearing masses of AH which were along the lines of suck it up and tell them as they don't ask for sh1ts and giggles.

The what? :pac:

Is there any issue if you fail to disclose your religion? I am an atheist but do they even need to know this? I feel my beliefs or lack of beliefs are nothing to do with the state or its' organs.

What say yee?

It's this sort of paranoia and self-righteous attitude that gives atheists a bad name. You got your answer in After Hours but because it didn't suit you ("the official party line", again, what?), you think the Atheism and Agnosticism forum might make for a better echo chamber.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    It's this sort of paranoia and self-righteous attitude that gives atheists a bad name. You got your answer in After Hours but because it didn't suit you ("the official party line", again, what?), you think the Atheism and Agnosticism forum might make for a better echo chamber.

tbh I don't think its that,

The amount of noise in after hours often makes it hard to know if the information you are being given is accurate, OP likely trusts the info they'd get from this forum over after hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Hospitals also want to know if you are a member of the travelling community. These hospital surveys are vital as they allow the government to get a representation of people that may have not been counted in the census. Also the census is every 5years meaning the data can be quite obsolete within in a fee years. These surveys are up to date

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If the person taking the details had said that, no problem. But she didn't seem to know herself why the information was needed, she referred to statistics not hazards.

Not everyone asking questions needs to know what the information is for. Some people are there to input data. These people don't care or have an interest in your details. Someone further down the chain and trying to save your life based on the info the first person took might though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I spend far too much time in hospitals, and just say "none" if they ask my religion. In a catholic hospital (I'm specifically thinking of the Bons Secours in Cork, about 15 years ago), they'll ask from time to time if you'd like communion, and if you say no they'll just pull your curtain across before the priest appears, so that he doesn't intrude.

Sometimes priests/nuns will stop by and ask if there's anything they can do for you, or if you'd like a blessing. Based on that I don't think they hand out the info to passing clergy. A "no, thank you" suffices, they've never tried to convert me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

There's a lot of rubbish posted in AH, a lot of funny stuff and some serious stuff. After a while, it's quite easy to "get your eye in" and seperate the wheat from the chaff.

From my recollection, your AH thread got a similar (if funnier) response to this one - essentially - there are valid reasons they want that info, withhold it if you like, but it's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cabaal wrote: »
    Was the priest just assuming or was he trying to convert you? :pac:

The usual, assumed I was catholic, asked if I wanted a blessing then proceeded to give me one* anyway after I said no.

At least he wasn't around the next day when I was told to try to go up and down the corridor on crutches for the first time. I was only wearing a pair of 'onion bag' hospital issue jocks and a gown split down the back :pac: couple of hours later I was issued a pair of PJs!

*no sniggering please

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    I was only wearing a pair of 'onion bag' hospital issue jocks and a gown split down the back :pac: couple of hours later I was issued a pair of PJs!

Rule 1 - if they give you one of those gowns, immediately ask for a second one, then put the first one on "properly", and the second on like a dressing gown over it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

I used to be a student nurse in Dublin. They ask your religion not because its some covert operation to give the Catholics all the good fish fingers at lunch, but for really boring reasons.

If a Jew dies, you couldn't touch the body or there'd be massive panic in the family. As a nurse, you wouldn't want that. Handy also to know who's on Kosher or Halal diets. Some strict Muslims see pain relief/anaesthesia as food so to speak, so there procedures will be moved around accordingly during Ramadan. I remember in the Alzheimer's ward there was an auld Jewish lad, you couldn't wheel him down to mass on a Sunday! There's LOADS of reasons why they ask about your religion. Its not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Thoie wrote: »
    Rule 1 - if they give you one of those gowns, immediately ask for a second one, then put the first one on "properly", and the second on like a dressing gown over it :)

You sir, are a frickin' genius! :D

If only I'd known this when I was in the Cappagh having my hip done, I was coming out of the bathroom after my shower when the towel I was wearing got caught in the door, and I was holding myself up on my zimmer frame, when just then, the gay tennis coach came wheeling round the corner, his eyes lit up like spotlights as I whimpered "Help, nuuurse!"

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You sir, are a frickin' genius! :D

If only I'd known this when I was in the Cappagh having my hip done, I was coming out of the bathroom after my shower when the towel I was wearing got caught in the door, and I was holding myself up on my zimmer frame, when just then, the gay tennis coach came wheeling round the corner, his eyes lit up like spotlights as I whimpered "Help, nuuurse!"

We ladies have all the best ideas.
    There are many other secret hospital tricks, like getting your friends to buy small bottles of water, empty a small bit out, then freeze them on their sides and bring them into you (glorious cold water, as opposed to room temperature yuck).
    If you're not fasting, and there's no other reason not to be sticking to hospital food, talk to the night duty nurses and they'll clue you in on how to get Chinese delivered to the day room.
    If you're brought into hospital unexpectedly, ask the first person you call to make sure you get a toothbrush AND toothpaste (everything feels less hopeless after you've brushed your teeth).
    If you're bedbound, ask if you can have a kidney dish for brushing your teeth.
    If you're feeling nauseated, many hospitals have special bags with a solid ring opening - no splatter, and you can seal them off easily.

Advertisement