Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Thomson TWG-870U & Technicolor TC7200 - Enabling "Cable modem" mode - basic guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Did you see post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88976002&postcount=1 - the guys in Poland seem to really looking under the hood of these devices.

Because we, Poles, can't live behind closed doors. We fought for freedom with stronger enemies that UPC and their stupid limitations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Just got one of the TC7200 from UPC. And would like to bridge it but need a router, can anyone recommend one? Anything on Amazon worth looking at. Anything that allows a nice custom firmware would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

Asus RT-N66U or if your feeling richer and to be future proofed more, an
    Asus RT-AC66R

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

Asus has Merlin doing half of the job for them ;)
    Though stock firmware is reasonable fast and stable, Merlin has his own firmware with more feature and faster fixes.

Depending on your needs, on what kind of wireless adapters you have on your laptop/s and the budget, you can choose N only or newest AC. I am a heavy wireless user and having very new devices in the house, I jumped to a AC1900 router and though it is a bit expensive, I am happy with the performance.

Not really concerned with Wifi, I only use Wifi for phones and tablets. Everything else is wired. Is the Asus overkill for my needs? Just need proper port forwarding etc.
    Thanks Moo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭drabisan

Yes. Port forwarding is working as it should be.
    There were some issue few firmwares back, but now everything works smoothly and stable.
    Every router newer than a year can reach 1G between WAN and LAN and supports numerous connection for NAT and port forwarding. Vendors are still struggling with the best wireless and additional features like UPNP from USB connected drive. But for pure forwarding capabilities very much all new routers delivers the same performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Colmrenault

Asus use hardware NAT which is claimed to be 5 times faster than software based NAT in cheaper routers. Plus some of their models look visually stunning. Handy if it's in view like mine and the prices are not crazy for what you are getting.

Id have no problem buying the Asus if I felt it was necessary, I nearly did. But wireless performance and looks are not something I'd base my purchase on. Hardware NAT sounds nice but in practical terms Im unsure if I'd benefit from it hugely.

Probably will grab a router but still unsure, more research required I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭alanbk

I know I'm slightly off topic here but I bought the asus router recommended. Few posts back. I'm on 200 mb upc broadband but only get 30 mb using wireless even if beside the router. Is this normal for wireless?

alanbk wrote: »
    I know I'm slightly off topic here but I bought the asus router recommended. Few posts back. I'm on 200 mb upc broadband but only get 30 mb using wireless even if beside the router. Is this normal for wireless?

If you have a G wireless adapter in your PC or laptop then this is about all you'll get. You'll need at least N for better performance.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info. I'm using iPhone 5s. Thought I'd get better speed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OzzyDE

So I've just did this trick on a TC7200 with the disconnect cable and get into the OID.

My SNMP was blocked before that.

Some Info First.

Firmware: .27
    Cable Supplier: UnityMedia /KabelBW (Germany)

So i got in and switched the INT uisng the cable disconnect trick. it worked. the router than rebooted but it never gave me a public IP it seem to reboot twice.. and came back to Cable Router Mode with a 192.168.0.1 It seems that the germans have got even more protection against this trick...

Really annoys me as my connection drops out every 5-10 minutes. it seems to be worse with more clients connected. I noticed if i turn the wifi off i almost get no discconects, so my plan was to put it in modem mode and connect my Linksys E1200 to act as the router... Im getting seriously annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I just received one of these today.

120 mb out of the box. Pretty impressive, its faster than my powerlines :D.

However I turned off 2.4ghz, enabled 5ghz, after a few mins the 5ghz disappeared from my airspace.

Will play more with it later but seems a big bug for only 30 mins use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maglat

OzzyDE wrote: »
    So I've just did this trick on a TC7200 with the disconnect cable and get into the OID.

My SNMP was blocked before that.

Some Info First.

Firmware: .27
    Cable Supplier: UnityMedia /KabelBW (Germany)

So i got in and switched the INT uisng the cable disconnect trick. it worked. the router than rebooted but it never gave me a public IP it seem to reboot twice.. and came back to Cable Router Mode with a 192.168.0.1 It seems that the germans have got even more protection against this trick...

Same case her :( Same cable supplier and Firmware. I cant get into bridge mode as well. As OzzyDE already said, the device reboot twice and get back into Router mode. That sucks very hard! I would very appreciate if someone could find a workaround ;-)

maglat wrote: »
    Same case her :( Same cable supplier and Firmware. I cant get into bridge mode as well. As OzzyDE already said, the device reboot twice and get back into Router mode. That sucks very hard! I would very appreciate if someone could find a workaround ;-)

I know what's going on here, but I won't post it in public in case it gives UPC some ideas! ;) If my theory is correct, there's nothing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maglat

Karsini wrote: »
    I know what's going on here, but I won't post it in public in case it gives UPC some ideas! ;) If my theory is correct, there's nothing you can do.

very smart dude! very smart....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OzzyDE

I'M guessing once the cable is connected some security check is performed on the router and if any mismatches are found it changes them to default (It's why they can charge for WLAN) if you were unlucky and didnt get a free WLAN package they try and charge you 30€ to unlock Wifi on your router... which is crazy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Without discussing any details, do you think that the tc7200's could be reconfigured back to modem/router mode and locked down as part of a firmware upgrade?

Without discussing any details, do you think that the tc7200's could be reconfigured back to modem/router mode and locked down as part of a firmware upgrade?

Sent you a PM. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I have disabled wifi on my TC. Seems useless.

My linksys3000 is connected wan port on linksys to lan on TC.

So I have the linksys proffering wifi on 192.168.3.x and the TC is the gateway and works on 192.168.0.x.

I can access 192.168.0.x form the 192.168.3.x net but not visa versa. So will move any devices I need port forwarding on to the TC and leave the linksys there for its Wifi.

Until I have more time to play with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

folks - if you're thomson has already upgraded to 1.75 - is this "fix" still possible ? i..e I never made any changes when it was at 1.5, as I was still pondering a router to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pnag

Well, I think I'm going to be getting on to ComReg, as I told them I didn't want a wireless router when ordering it, that a modem would be fine. I got the Technicolor, and my lovely RT-AC66U doesn't know what hit it - it's a disaster.

How can they justify this?!? It's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pontomedon

I'm having the same problem here with my TC7200.U from UPC Austria. Could you help me as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

pnag wrote: »
    Well, I think I'm going to be getting on to ComReg

This is not something ComReg regulate, or can help with.

I am a bit lost here now on this thread. What's the problem exactly and please Karsisni PM the theory !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shenlok

Is this still possible on the TC7200? Any workarounds for the issues people were seeing around the start of March?

I rebooted my gear this morning due to the time change and thought I'd test IPv6 again. Not a sausage. In fact, in the TC7200's log I saw "Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4". Sounds like they disabled native IPv6. Bridging still working fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Shenlok wrote: »
    Is this still possible on the TC7200? Any workarounds for the issues people were seeing around the start of March?

Did it to my TC7200 yesterday, no issues.
    Disconnected the coax, reset, updated SNMP OID (I used linux snmp utils), connected coax again and reset and it was in bridge mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭capailldubh

Just got a Technicolor as part of a Horizon "upgrade"
    Can't get either ireasoning (error message) or CM to connect. Tried two computers.
    I do not have the option to enable remote managment so maybe firmware has been changed in stinky TC7200. I disabled both firewalls and double checked settings in config on both apps. It says somewhere that it is Netherlands version. I have a WNDR3800 that is set up for all my stuff.
    I use an Avermedia cctv setup that uses DNYDNS and a remote lighting and heating app that no longer works. I am strongly considering upgrading back to 30mbt that I was on or bail UPC altogether. Any would be welcome ideas?

• Advertisement

Just got a Technicolor as part of a Horizon "upgrade"
    Can't get either ireasoning (error message) or CM to connect. Tried two computers.
    I do not have the option to enable remote managment so maybe firmware has been changed in stinky TC7200. I disabled both firewalls and double checked settings in config on both apps. It says somewhere that it is Netherlands version. I have a WNDR3800 that is set up for all my stuff.
    I use an Avermedia cctv setup that uses DNYDNS and a remote lighting and heating app that no longer works. I am strongly considering upgrading back to 30mbt that I was on or bail UPC altogether. Any would be welcome ideas?

Have you tried it with the co-ax cable disconnected from the modem?

Advertisement