Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good yogurt option

Options
  • 28-01-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what are some good options when it comes to yogurts? I'd typically be in Aldi or Tesco, so something either of those usually stock would be great.

I knew the low fat/ 0% ones are deadly for sugar, but didn't realise how bad a lot of the popular regular fat ones are too. :(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Tesco healthy living Normandy fromage frais. A whole 500g tub is 230 cal and 39/16.5/1g PCF with no added stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Liberte yogurt which can be got in Dunnes is good.

Per 150g
    84cal 5c 14p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Thanks to you both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Tesco healthy living Normandy fromage frais. A whole 500g tub is 230 cal and 39/16.5/1g PCF with no added stuff.

Can you still get this stuff? It used to be in my local but now I can't find it in either of my 2 nearest Tesco's.

Website says it's unavailable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Hi,

I usually get the Duneen brand yoghurts in Aldi ''Duneen Active'' i think is the name.

There are only about 47 calories per pot and the sugar concentration is much lower than the Fat Free yoghurts on the market. Also they come in a range of flavours.. pineapple, strawberry, raspberry and pear! and for only €1.99 per carton (8 pots) you really can't go far wrong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Got a pot of Liberte in Dunned this morning so I'll try it later on.

Essien, I'll be in tesco in Dundrum over the next few days do will be having a nosy there too :)

Ill definitely try those Aldi ones too, are the pots a decent size? Sounds like good value :)

Is (low sugar) yogurt generally a decent snack? I go through phases of loving yogurt. I was disgusted when I actually stopped to look at them today, the lowest sugar of the ones you'd see advertised/ on offer were 12% sugar :eek:
    The kiddo would enjoy yogurt too, and prefer to keep an eye on his sugar intake too so this has been a real eye opener for me!

You're right Essien, I emailed them and they have discontinued it. I last got some two weeks ago. It was always selling out in my local tesco so it can't have been that unpopular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

You're right Essien, I emailed them and they have discontinued it. I last got some two weeks ago. It was always selling out in my local tesco so it can't have been that unpopular.

M&S do one in their count on us range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Sad thing is it was probably neglected in favour of some 15% sugar 'Greek style' yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The Glenisk Full Fat Natural yoghurt is divine :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ElecKtrA wrote: »
    Hi,

I usually get the Duneen brand yoghurts in Aldi ''Duneen Active'' i think is the name.

There are only about 47 calories per pot and the sugar concentration is much lower than the Fat Free yoghurts on the market. Also they come in a range of flavours.. pineapple, strawberry, raspberry and pear! and for only €1.99 per carton (8 pots) you really can't go far wrong :)

I usually get these too, but stopped recently because of the high sugar content. Maybe they are ok and I messed up looking at the ingredients list?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• 'Good' yogurt options (I really like yogurt and I normally have about 170 g of the 'good' yogurt options about 5 days per week. I would eat some fresh/frozen berries or other fruit with the yogurt, or else a teaspoon of some no added sugar jam (like this, which contains fruit, grape juice and pectin):
    Fage Total Greek Yogurt- This is 'actual' Greek yogurt (i.e. yogurt which has been strained in a cloth or paper bag or filter to remove the whey). It is high in protein and the plain versions don't have any added sugar (only naturally occurring sugars found in milk). The versions with added fruit also contain added sugar as well as the fruit. There are 3 plain versions: Total Classic; Total 2%; and Total 0%. Few supermarkets stock this brand. I can only find the Total 0%. For a 500g tub, it's €3.29 in the supermarket where I get it.
    Nutritional info (per 100g) for the Total 0%: 57 kcal; 10.3 g of protein; 4 g of sugar; and 0g of fat.

Liberté Fat Free Strained 'Greek Style' Yogurt- This may say 'Greek Style', but it has only three ingredients, and the natural flavour has no added sugar/preservatives. For me, it tastes the same as the Fage Total 0% yogurt. Again, the versions with added fruit also contain added sugar as well as the fruit. I know all supermarkets don't stock this brand, but Dunnes do. For a 500g tub, it's usually €2.99, although it's frequently on special offer in Dunnes for €2.
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 56 kcal; 9.6 g of protein; 3.2 g of sugar; and 0g of fat.

Tesco Light Choices Natural Fromage Frais- Although this isn't yogurt, the nutritional info and consistency are similar to Greek yogurt. Some people prefer the taste of this Fromage Frais, I prefer the taste of the Fage and Liberté yogurts. I haven't got this in a good while, but others have mentioned that it doesn't seem to be in stock for the last while. AFAIK, it was something cheap like €1.59 for the 500g (I stand to be corrected).
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 46 kcal; 7.8 g of protein; 3.3 g of sugar; and 0.2g of fat.

• Yogurt options that have 'less protein, more sugar, and more fat':
    Glenisk Natural Yogurt-
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 79 kcal; 4.7 g of protein; 6.1 g of sugar; and 4g of fat (2.5 g saturates).

Glenisk Low Fat Natural Yogurt-
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 66 kcal; 5.4 g of protein; 6.8 g of sugar; and 2g of fat (1.2 g saturates).

Glenisk Fat Free Natural Yogurt-
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 61 kcal; 5.8 g of protein; 4.5 g of sugar; and 0g of fat.

Glenisk Organic Greek Style Natural-
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 127 kcal; 4 g of protein; 5.3 g of sugar; and 10g of fat (6.3 g saturates).

• Examples of 'not so good' yogurt options:
    Danone Greek Strawberry-
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 149 kcal; 3.2 g of protein; 14.4 g of sugar; and 8.1g of fat (5 g saturates).

Muller Light Strawberry Yogurt-
    Nutritional info (per 100g): 51 kcal; 3.9 g of protein; 7.1 g of sugar; and 0.1g of fat (0.1 g saturates).

^^^
    Apologies if I have entered any of the nutritional data incorrectly (I've bound too!).

Also, I've been eating Greek yogurt for a good while now that if I had to eat a yoplait yogurt I would find it horribly disgustingly sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Picked up the liberte one in Dunnes today, been looking for a high protein proper Greek yogurt for ages with no success.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ack, I wish they had good yogurts like those listed by dastardly00 in Japan. You should see the shíte they have - even the 'natural' one has way more sugar then our equivalent ;_;

Any specific supermarket in Dublin that sells the Fage or Liberté yogurts? City center/Northside preferably?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I got the Onken Natural set yoghurt today in Tesco, as I couldn't get the Fage yoghurt.
    Per 100g:
    Protein: 3.8g
    Carbohydrates: 3.8g
    of which are sugars: 3.6g
    Fat: 3.7g
    saturates: 2.4g
    Fibre: 0g
    Sodium: 0.06g
    equivalent of salt: 0.15g

Is that a good yoghurt. Naturally I would have preferred one with no sugar but it was the lowest I could bar one with soya in it ( I don't really trust products with soya in them, not sure how good they are.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Konata wrote: »
    Ack, I wish they had good yogurts like those listed by dastardly00 in Japan. You should see the shíte they have - even the 'natural' one has way more sugar then our equivalent ;_;

Any specific supermarket in Dublin that sells the Fage or Liberté yogurts? City center/Northside preferably?

Fage: Donnybrook Fair, JC in Swords
    Liberte: Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can get Fage in Mortons in Ranelagh as well.

I got the Onken Natural set yoghurt today in Tesco, as I couldn't get the Fage yoghurt.
    Per 100g:
    Protein: 3.8g
    Carbohydrates: 3.8g
    of which are sugars: 3.6g
    Fat: 3.7g
    saturates: 2.4g
    Fibre: 0g
    Sodium: 0.06g
    equivalent of salt: 0.15g

Is that a good yoghurt. Naturally I would have preferred one with no sugar but it was the lowest I could bar one with soya in it ( I don't really trust products with soya in them, not sure how good they are.)

If it's made with milk then there will always be sugar present due to the naturally occurring sugars found in milk. 3.6g of sugar per 100g of yogurt is pretty good. Calorie-wise, it's on the same level as the Glenisk Natural yogurts.

Where the Onken yogurt lets itself down is in terms of protein content. But if you are not interested in the protein content of yogurts, there's no need to worry then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

If it's made with milk then there will always be sugar present due to the naturally occurring sugars found in milk. 3.6g of sugar per 100g of yogurt is pretty good. Calorie-wise, it's on the same level as the Glenisk Natural yogurts.

Where the Onken yogurt lets itself down is in terms of protein content. But if you are not interested in the protein content of yogurts, there's no need to worry then.

Yeah I noticed the protein level was quite low when I looked at the composition of Fage yoghurt that was in an earlier. Mainly I grabbed it because it was the best of the worst there, there was no Fage Yoghurt there and I wasn't willing to walk all the way to Dunne's to check if they had it. :P

Really, I was kind of eager to get it because my mum brought home yoghurt there recently and it was lovely but FULL of sugar so I wanted something healthier if I got hungry in the evening and could have with my Chia seeds that would satisfy me for the night as I'd been eating the sugary yoghurt up til then!

Really would have preferred one with a higher protein content, but the chia seeds kind of make up for that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Is it the Tesco healthy living Normandy fromage frais you are talking about? I was able to get it in Tesco on Parnell st on Monday, I hope they don't discontinue it!

They confirmed to me on Facebook that it was discontinued, unless they have reversed it then it might just be the last of the stock?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I prefer glenisk to the onken one it tastes much nicer
    Good with some strawberry protein powder stirred in
    I'm sure a friend told me she found Fage in lidl or aldi or something I must check

bluewolf wrote: »
    I prefer glenisk to the onken one it tastes much nicer
    Good with some strawberry protein powder stirred in
    I'm sure a friend told me she found Fage in lidl or aldi or something I must check

She might have thought this was Fage maybe?

RfKxB.jpg

Pretty Polly is right about the tesco fromage frais being on sald, I went into tesco Mahon today and they had it on shelf marked "new" at €1.75 with use by dates in early March. The packaging seems to have changed ever so slightly. It's showing up online too so it must have been a rebrand rather than a discontinue. I snapped up 5 tubs in Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Is it the Tesco healthy living Normandy fromage frais you are talking about? I was able to get it in Tesco on Parnell st on Monday, I hope they don't discontinue it!

I've bought a tub in Paul St Cork the last three weekends so very much still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

available and getting restocked in Tesco Oranmore all the time too so looks good for it been continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Liberte yogurt which can be got in Dunnes is good.

Per 150g
    84cal 5c 14p

I picked up this and absolutely love it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Picked up this in lidl as there's no Dunnes close to me:
    Lidl - Eridanous Greek Style Creamy Natural Yogurt

per 100g
    Calories 119
    Total Fat 9 g (Saturated 6 g)
    Carbs 5 g
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 4 g

Not hte worst but I'll be keeping my eye out in the local Tesco for Fage next time for something higher in protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Hi, I'd like to know of a good yoghurt that's high on protein and low on sugar. Any of the flavoured stuff good? I've been eating the Glenisk low fat natural strawberry and it's delicious but I don't know much about nutritional values.

Also is yoghurt a good thing to eat post workout?

Advertisement