Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentleman's Club Motoring thread

Options
  • 15-10-2013 9:23am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for the contributors of The Gentlemen's Club to post pics of their vehicle whether they be car, motorbike, bicycle or transit van. Also, general transport chat, dream cars/bikes etc.

I will kick us off with my car that I had to sell over the weekend. It is the best car I have ever driven. In the 5 years I owned it it never once skidded or lost 100% grip with the ground in any kind of weather. The acceleration was so responsive that it was easy to over take quickly. And, I think, is one of the nicest looking cars in production,
    Audi TT
    275974.jpg

General Rules: All transportation chat and pics are welcome but keep things light hearted.
    There is a dedicated motoring forum for the more enthusiastic petrol heads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yay! I love it :)

Here's mine - a 2005 3.0 TDI Quattro Audi A6 with all the toys..
    - xenons, leather, all-round parking sensors and display, bluetooth, ipod/USB connections, BOSE sound system and 6 CD changer, full climate control, electric rear sun screen, 225 BHP and a tiptronic gearbox:

20130629_072942.jpg

20130629_073035.jpg

20130629_073059.jpg

20130629_073136.jpg

Yes the tax is a killer but hey, I don't get out much, rarely drink, don't smoke so I might as well treat myself as I do long motorway spins and it's very very nice bus for that sorta thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I dont have pictures of my car anywhere so i lifted this from the internet.

2844237.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Lot of nice motors on the thread so far and it's only just getting going. I've had a few nice cars over the years including an A6 2.8 Quattro Sport on a set of 18" BBSs. Always love the VAG stuff.

Oblig apology for photo quality.

Righty, the four wheel transport:

276488.JPG

'02 323F 2.0 Sport. I've had it about more than three years but it's been off the road two years due to travel and a change of circumstances since my return. I've spent an absolute ton on getting it into excellent condition. I've often thought about parting with it but I just can't justify it considering it's probably worth about about €750 on a good day :/

276487.JPG

My baby a '01 Suzuki GSX1400. I've owned it five years and I'll never part with it if I can avoid it. It's my dream bike :)

276489.jpg

My '02 Aprilia RSV Mille 1000cc v-twin. As daily hacks go, I think it's pretty sexy. I'm in the process of winterising it at the moment. I'm using it as a means of strengthening my knowledge of service and repair and as sweet as it is, it's going to have to sing for it's supper.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

5.9L, 300 bhp and 50 years old. One of 500 ever made, full leather, no pas, no abs, no traction control and a handful in the wet!! Three speed auto box and on a good day 17mpg....

IFS034_zpsc42cf5db.jpg

And my other little red rocket: 1967, 2.2L and great fun to drive, when the sun is shinning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

^^^^^^^
    Oh god, all sorts of envious want going on :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

And Justjens ends the thread. How can you follow that up? Certainly not with my 2003 Mondeo at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Sleepy wrote: »
    And Justjens ends the thread. How can you follow that up? Certainly not with my 2003 Mondeo at least!

beats the pants off my 2010 mundaneo too

don't get me wrong, i like the mondeo/mundaneo but it doesn't stack up to either of Justjens toys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'll bet your mpg is a little better:P

Am looking at that class of car when I buy again in Feb/March. Initially we were gonna go for the Mondeo but now I think we like the Insignia.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I'll bet your mpg is a little better:P

Am looking at that class of car when I buy again in Feb/March. Initially we were gonna go for the Mondeo but now I think we like the Insignia.

Go with the mondy. Apparently the insignia is a bit tight in the back.

A friend of mine has a new-ish baby and an insignia and he says it can be a bit of a squeeze.

I have the drivers seat in a nice driving position for me in my car and i can sit in comfort directly behind the drivers seat. I'm 6'2", with big ol lanky legs, so that's an indication of how much space is available

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not familiar with the Insignia but quite happy with the Mondeo. Unusually, as mundane as they are, I'd always wanted one as my Dad's old Mark I was the car I learned to drive in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not familiar with the Insignia but quite happy with the Mondeo. Unusually, as mundane as they are, I'd always wanted one as my Dad's old Mark I was the car I learned to drive in.

At one stage I half considered a Mondeo - but only if it was navy/red/white and a D-reg.

As I regularly wear blue shirts for work (side note: ever notice how the colours for office-suitable shirts is VERY limited?) I figured it might provide some amusement.. and end the days of being tailgated or having clowns sitting in the outside lane dawdling when I want to overtake :p

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    At one stage I half considered a Mondeo - but only if it was navy/red/white and a D-reg.

As I regularly wear blue shirts for work (side note: ever notice how the colours for office-suitable shirts is VERY limited?) I figured it might provide some amusement.. and end the days of being tailgated or having clowns sitting in the outside lane dawdling when I want to overtake :p

Those are some of the other things that make them a great drivers car!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I will kick us off with my car that I had to sell over the weekend. It is the best car I have ever driven. In the 5 years I owned it it never once skidded or lost 100% grip with the ground in any kind of weather. The acceleration was so responsive that it was easy to over take quickly. And, I think, is one of the nicest looking cars in production,
    Audi TT

If that's the quattro, then they are "bet onto the road". We had one and you'd have to be an utter ape to crash it through "overexuberance"

The interior was lovey, and (nod to Kaiser as well), the Audi leather is far nicer than the muck BMW insist on putting in their "normal" cars.

Love the dark blue & cream combination, I've my baby E90 in that combo and it is lovely.

Personally I found the TT a bit too grippy and the steering on 225's a bit heavy, but the point and squirt/ sod physics, I am overtaking NOW ability of the TT made it fun in the same way as using a sledgehammer is fun... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Those are some of the other things that make them a great drivers car!! :D

I was making my way onto the M50 yesterday, this involves a series of roundabouts where you take the third exit. It was damp... I had a BMW....

This normally precipitates a bit of tail wagging fun, but there was a 05 mondeo behind me with a bloke wearing high viz....

So I drove like a Nun.

He passed me on the M50 then, and it was just some auld lad getting his rocks off playing COP... :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Love the dark blue & cream combination, I've my baby E90 in that combo and it is lovely.

Yeah I will be looking for the same combination or similar for my next car.
    Pics of the E90?

Looking forward to seeing this on the roads

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/mustang-fits-the-bill-for-ford-but-how-will-europe-take-to-this-us-icon-29826856.html

I drove one for a while when I lived in US but was disappointed with the performance. Always a great looking car:)

Mod note - changed the rules of this thread, see post 1.

Looking forward to seeing this on the roads

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/motoring/mustang-fits-the-bill-for-ford-but-how-will-europe-take-to-this-us-icon-29826856.html

I drove one for a while when I lived in US but was disappointed with the performance. Always a great looking car:)

Mod note - changed the rules of this thread, see post 1.

It'll be nice to see them. My philosophy about these types of cars in this country is that we're doomed to have small engines. That's given. But unfortunately the small spec that comes with the small engines becomes a one stop ticket to Mehville. Paddy won't pay for 'bells and whistles' is something a salesman friend once said to me.

I wish they would run better spec models out of the box. I don't want to be the only country in the world to have a base Mustang with plastic wheel trims :D

If I were a manufacturer and I gave a cr*p about the Irish market enough to want to win the hearts of d'people, I'd give them all the sporty kits and bits to make it look like a proper sports model along with that small 4-banger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

This is my weekend car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I like Mustangs as much as the next guy, but I can't see how they can justify 425BHP from a 5 litre engine. It's criminal. The M3 puts out 420bhp from a 4L. The new S4 has ~330bhp from a supercharged 3L. And the wizards at Nissan can get 542bhp from a bi-turbo 3.8 in the newest GT-R.

/rant

Kev.OC wrote: »
    I like Mustangs as much as the next guy, but I can't see how they can justify 425BHP from a 5 litre engine.

What'd be the tax on one of those anyway?
    The one I had was flat as a pancake power wise but looked the business. Might be better with 95 octane petrol though.

The most recent time I was in US there are alot more smaller cars around than there were years ago so maybe we'll see more realistic motors appearing on our shores. Still less than $1 for a litre of petrol over there too:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Recently spotted this whilst wandering around Beverly Hills, as you do. :pac:

PC140408_zps5a47846b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

cantdecide wrote: »
    I wish they would run better spec models out of the box. I don't want to be the only country in the world to have a base Mustang with plastic wheel trims :D

Oh god, the thought of that alone doesn't sit well with me at all! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

DSC03603.jpg

My current wheels, a Yamaha MT-03. I picked it up at the end of August, a nice step up power wise from the Yamaha Dragstar 125 which I started off on years ago, and have been relying upon until now. I was initially wary of buying a single cylinder bike, but after a test drive those thoughts disappeared. I like how It's not a bike I've seen around much either.

cade wrote: »
    I like how It's not a bike I've seen around much either.

Ya plus how much convincing do you need after hearing a big single. I bet it's a hoot to ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

cantdecide wrote: »
    I bet it's a hoot to ride!

It's great fun indeed. The last owner certainly pushed the bike, I can see how the tires are worn to but a few millimeters from the edge; I haven't been able to drop the bike that far yet, but I'm trying, and otherwise having great fun at the weekends out on the Wicklow gap and the Sally gap.

Took the plunge with the family saloon. Decent enough motor. I bought it on Saturday and have put 600 miles up on it already so seems sound. It is like parking a bus compared to my last car though

294672.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No pics handy but don't need much imagination to picture my wine 2003 Avensis. Of course I had people joking with me about having a family car and a house and now just needing a woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Took the plunge with the family saloon. Decent enough motor. I bought it on Saturday and have put 600 miles up on it already so seems sound. It is like parking a bus compared to my last car though

294672.jpg
    All the best with the new motor PR - was looking at Insignias myself lately - seem a good car, guy I work with bought one recently as a family car and loves it.

Advertisement