Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ZyXEL F1000 - router config & speeds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

the qos settings are there for the iptv service being trialed by 300+ customers at the moment. they are there to improve the signal being relayed to the set top boxes

So Freddy, before i throw away my Iomega NAS, what can i change back to wireless access it? Since the last firmware upgrade on F1000 i can only access the NAS via wired connection...

EDIT: Deleting all queue setups and class setups in QOS fix it. Must say, all respect to Eircom, you're crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

So Freddy, before i throw away my Iomega NAS, what can i change back to wireless access it? Since the last firmware upgrade on F1000 i can only access the NAS via wired connection...

EDIT: Deleting all queue setups and class setups in QOS fix it. Must say, all respect to Eircom, you're crap!

does the nas support wpa2 psk? if not log onto modem and go to wireless settings and change it to wpa psk

The NAS is wired, just the wireless devices couldnt see it after last firmware upgrade on router. Its back to normal after deleting all qos setings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 choakem

Hey guys - I can confirm that the new firmware does "Isolate" wireless and Wired devices...

I have found a work arounf until Eircom fixes this issue...

Goto network settings->QOS-> Class Setup -> Edit default Queue

Change "From Interface" to LOCAL and then wired can speak to wired devices.

This does break IPTV systems though if you change LOCAL to the LAN port that the IPTV box is connected to then that works as well..

Lets hope Eircom can roll out a fix for this sooner rather than later...

That took me 3 hours to figure out... LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Oh jesus that's a f'ck job from whoever in Zyxel is writing these releases. Really poor show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 CWest

Super guidance here from all. Thanks it sorted a problem I spent most of the weekend trying to diagnose! Just to add my own experience re. applying choakem's advice. Thanks choakem too...
    Hey guys - I can confirm that the new firmware does "Isolate" wireless and Wired devices...

In my case following choakems useful advice fixed the "isolation" issue but disabled router and internet access from my wired devices.

Simply turning off all the "class setups" addressed the issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

choakem wrote: »

This does break IPTV systems though if you change LOCAL to the LAN port that the IPTV box is connected to then that works as well..

Thanks you are a life saver. The Sky + App on my Ipad had stopped being able to see my Sky Box until I applied your fix. Also I was experiencing problems with video streaming from my PC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

I have to say thanks to choakem. There must be some bug that bridges the wireless and LAN interfaces incorrectly when they are revered to as LAN. It does not make sense that a QoS entry would be causing 2 interfaces not to bridge with each other. Unless that QoS entry was rate limiting to 0. In the end of the day the box is nothing more than a Linux router with a handful of wireless/LAN and WAN interfaces connected to a Linux bridge.

telnet to the box and issue the command

> lan show

The bridging code is obviously broken.

I'd like to know how this breaks the IPTV stuff , is it the Multicast that's broken or the Prioritisation of the IPTV traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

When i first got this router last month i could do everything i could do with the last eircom netopia router,stream my sat box to my iPad, FTP wirelessly and so on,

now it's all messed up, with the fix above it works but when i plug something out and switch it on next day no connection and i have to revert back from local.

Did they do an ota update for the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

OK , I think I have it mostly figured out. Maybe some others with the F1000 modem from Eircom and the same issue with try this and let me know if it fixes the issue.

The Issue I believe is related to bad default QoS classifiers on the router.

They are adding VLAN 10 to packets classified. This might be necessary to preserve the .1p bits set by the QoS config however it seems to be breaking the wired/wireless bridge.

My solution, which is only one possible solution, was to remove this from the Default Class.

Network Setting > Qos > Class Setup

Edit the Default Classifier , in "Step 3" set vlanID to "Unchange" from 10

Now , at this point DNS on the router breaks ... instead of trying to fix this is easier for me at least to just use a different DNS server.

Network Setting > Home Network > LAN Setup

DNS Values : change this to From ISP , or static if you want to roll with different DNS.

At this point you should have full function bridging between wireless and wired LAN's and all devices should be able to connect to the Internet.

This seems to work for me. There are probably other solutions.

In fairness I don't think the F1000 is a bad router. I just don't think Eircom fully tested the default config on the latest firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Thanks for posting this has fixed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rilgar

Thanks a mil, diarmaidol. So far, so good as far as the fix is concerned. But I shall leave it for a couple of days just to see what if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

was onto eircom yesterday... had boot loop issue.

guy got me to do this..

reset f1000 (hold pin into reset hole for 60 seconds until the modem's power light flashes green and red

then let it boot up as normal.

log onto my sonic wall firewall

set pppoe

ppp username eircom@eircom.net
    ppp password broadband1

mtu size 1484

save settings

then log onto f1000 and set it into bridge mode

so far so good f1000 didnt go into boot loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

was onto eircom yesterday... had boot loop issue.

guy got me to do this..

reset f1000 (hold pin into reset hole for 60 seconds until the modem's power light flashes green and red

then let it boot up as normal.

log onto my sonic wall firewall

set pppoe

ppp username eircom@eircom.net
    ppp password broadband1

mtu size 1484

save settings

then log onto f1000 and set it into bridge mode

so far so good f1000 didnt go into boot loop.

Until next time you power cycle the F1000. THAT'S the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any issues with UPnP with the latest FWs?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

RangeR wrote: »
    Until next time you power cycle the F1000. THAT'S the problem.

Changing the MTU size stops the boot loop according to their tech support, have tried it myself and it works

ED E wrote: »
    Any issues with UPnP with the latest FWs?

QoS settings cause problems with media devices, easiest way is to delete them or modify them from LAN to LOCAL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Changing the MTU size stops the boot loop according to their tech support, have tried it myself and it works

So... A reboot after the fact, doesn't loop?

...now i start having problems with port forwarding... was working fine before...
    God, i wish that Eircom wouldn't use all us as testers...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

Ive been trying to setup the network/file sharing for usb devices and find it quite confusing. I have a share up and running & can connect to it using samba. My only issue is it asks for a username/password & its the modems details that are needed. IS there anyway to turn this off? I havnt had much luck with the DNLA sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrqpr

Hi encryptix,
    Do you mind me asking what type of hard drive you have used to get the file sharing working (or at least partially working, as per your post)? At least your share is detected, I have had no luck. Wondering if the unit is somehow faulty as nothing is detected. I've tried a few different usb storage devices.

Cheers..

Currently im just using a usb key (FAT32) but will try a drive later.

In the Network Setting > USB Service i have file sharing enabled with a hostname "USB1" and the Media Server is disabled.
    I also checked that the key is detected by looking at the Virtual Device.

Im running arch linux & at first I was typing "smb://192.168.1.254" in a file explorer gave me a prompt to login allowed me to navigate to the usb key.

But now ive managed to mount it from the command line with:
    mount //192.168.1.254/usbkey/usb1_1 /mnt/test/ -o user=admin

On windows i think its along the lines \\\192.168.1.254\usbkey\usb1_1 in an explorer window

Thakns encryptix,
    My issue is that I cant even see the host name appear on the screen. Perhaps the devices I've tested with are too old. Will try and reformat to FAT32 and have another look later..

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

What do you set the MTU to?

mrqpr wrote: »
    Thakns encryptix,
    My issue is that I cant even see the host name appear on the screen. Perhaps the devices I've tested with are too old. Will try and reformat to FAT32 and have another look later..

The only place i see the hostname is in the admin web interface. Other than that you seem to have to type out what you want.

Ive taken pictures to try show you what I had to do in windows to get the share's to come up. I have both a 16gb usb key and a 1TB portable drive connected.

272475.png

Note: You should swap 192.168.1.1 for 192.168.1.254 when trying

Thanks encryptix, I appreciate your help. It seems we must have different firmware as I do not have the path: Setting > USB Service available in order to enable file sharing. As per usual, the eircom site has no information available. I'll have to inquire on the help forum to see if I can download an update if there is one available.

Just contacted Eircom "tech" support. I've been told, via a really poor phone line, that they disable the USB service option on the router as they don't support this type of query. Perhaps those who have had some partial success in setting up the file sharing have received a box without this feature being disabled by eircom? Its a shame as a file share would be really handy for me without having to fork out on new equipment. Has anyone managed to flash the original ZyXel firmware back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dadsarmy

Your're a life saver, I couldn't get my ipad to see my NAS but after following your instructions I can now see and stream from it. Thanks.

choakem wrote: »

jspuds wrote: »
    What do you set the MTU to?

sorry i forgot to mention, its 1484

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

dadsarmy wrote: »
    Your're a life saver, I couldn't get my ipad to see my NAS but after following your instructions I can now see and stream from it. Thanks.

you dont need to delete to qos settings

just go to network settings > qos > class setup

modify rtsp > set interface from lan to local

click apply

modify defualt queue

change queue name to default

change interface from lan to local

click apply

as soon as you click apply your nas will work perfectly

this fix also applies to wireless printers and apple tv and dreamboxes

Advertisement