Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft to buy Nokia's phone business

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

A Lumia 1020 running Android with Pureview Phase 2 technology and Nokia exclusives like Maps and Music would sell by the bucket load. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise.

Your mistake is that you're just looking at HTC as being the only competitor to Samsung in the Android market. Lots of manufacturers are profitable in their own niches. ZTE/Huawei are making money on the budget side. LG are making money by competing with massively speced devices. Sony are competing by making attractive, durable and highly speced phones. Samsung are of course competing by having phones that are just about good enough, but heavily marketed.

Ok you’re completely of the mark up above and I'm only talking about Nokia and Samsung. I have no idea why you brought HTC or any other manufacture into this? But as you have you've actually listed the very reason why Nokia didn't chose Android. Look at all those competitors that Nokia have to play catch up to. It takes years and a lot of money to develop a single mobile phone model, just look at the number of Android models Samsung have available at the moment, it’s over 30!!! And that's just Samsung. You’d be shocked at the number of smart phones available that run Android!

Look how long its taken Nokia to be able to build the budget Lumia 520, do you not think if it was so easy to bring out new models at every price range they would have done this on day 1? It's easy to look at the Nokia Lumia 1020 and say it would sell by the bucket load on with an Android OS. Do you think that one phone would kill Samsung?! Nokia would need another 29 models just to catch up with Samsung.

Samsung have flooded the Android market with smart phones in every price range where as Nokia has only just started to reach that point now on Window Phone. Do you think Samsung would sit still while Nokia tried to muscle in and steal their sales? What do you think they would do? What would you do? Also what do you think all the other manufactures would do?

Nokia spent millions analysing exactly what would happen, how much they would have to spend to try to compete with all those manufacturer's, what the likely response from those manufacturers would be and how it would most likely play out in the end. They didn't just sit there and toss a coin. Windows Phone was the best choice for Nokia in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

liamog wrote: »
    Didn't Nokia used to make cable boxes years back?

Fiberboards - still good business in Finland, so they can follow I presume...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I just wish certain steve litchfeild fans would move on take symbian and the idea of nokia going android with them ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,400 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The reactions of the folks who are remaining with Nokia's Advanced Technology Group and not moving to Microsoft make me feel more positive. With Elop out of the picture and €10 billion in the bank, I am confident they can get back to making great products.
    John Kneeland ‏@SirKneeland 5h
    The new Sony Z1 looks nice. And since apparently my employer is no longer a phone maker, I'll just buy whatever I want.
    John Kneeland ‏@SirKneeland 5h
    @prsng no restrictions. Nokia was a wonderful, open-minded phone maker. I stuck with WP bc I loved Nokia and wanted to support my employer
    Hey Jimmy - will you be changing your name to JimmyMicrosoft? You seem to be a bigger Microsoft fan than Nokia fan.

What will you be, francie failfish? AND No i won't I remain optimistic, and realistic.

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    What will you be, francie failfish? AND No i won't I remain optimistic, and realistic.
    Maybe FrancieNokia - because with this reboot, the company should get back on track. Market is responding quite well to them jettisoning Microsoft at least.

Maybe FrancieNokia - because with this reboot, the company should get back on track. Market is responding quite well to them jettisoning Microsoft at least.
    One would hope they will, the idea of having no Nokia branded phones will not suit many. Ballmer already wants to change the 1020 to something else. I don't like him.
    Hopefully Nokia will use this money and time and start afresh.

That's all folks! Nokia are now officially out of the mobile phones game. All employees involved with the phones division have now transferred to Microsoft and new devices will carry Microsoft branding (not clear whether this will include the Lumia 930 or Nokia X models). As for Nokia, it looks like they'll use most of the cash to pay a special dividend, buy back shares and to pay down debt. It does not look like they're interested in making a significant acquisition, which is kind of sad as Nokia remaining a network infrastructure company is quite boring...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2148662/microsofts-elop-talks-up-nokia-x-color-and-partners-in-first-qanda.html

Advertisement