Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its live - Squad selection discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I posted it a few weeks back because I was expecting them to post them closer to the run in but it's interesting that alot of the big hitters from last year haven't posted their potential teams.

In terms of my own current thoughts towards different players:

Mignolet may be too good to turn down at 5.5. He's a million cheaper than Hart or Cech and going on Rodgers' team's defensive returns in the last two years he could easily match them.

I'll be interested to see how City set up under Pellegrini. I've been told he's an attacking manager so that may effect their clean sheets. Let's be honest, City have the firepower to play Kevin Keegan-esque 'we'll score more than you' tactics so I'm not overly concerned with having Hart or a City defender until I see how they play.

With Mourinho at Chelsea on the other hand, you know you'll get clean sheets. That said, their defence is a minefield. Re Hazard, I read comments from Mourinho recently that he wants to work on Hazard regarding making him the "complete player", like he said he did with Joe Cole. Basically, he's going to work with Hazard on the defensive side of his game. That could be a worry. As could Mourinho's tendency to change things quickly. If a game is a half hour in and things aren't working, he won't hang around to introduce a couple of subs.

I'm not so sure about Coleman. Not because of Coleman but because of Martinez. I've never really seen what the hype is about. He's a manager that always had Wigan floating around relegation. Compare that to Pulis or Allardyce who took relegation threatened teams and moved them to mid table positions consistently. Wigan were never good at defending under him and that would be my main worry re Coleman. He may provide some attacking returns but a defender's primary purpose is still clean sheets for me.

In terms of the strikers, I reckon I will be going with Soldado, Dzeko and one other striker guaranteed to play. That counts out Lukaku. Yes, he fits the Mourinho mould and he's had a blistering pre season but there's still the Roman effect to consider. Chelsea signed Ba in January and, while others said he would clearly be first choice, my own opinion was that Roman wouldn't be happy to see his 50 million asset left on the bench. That was proved correct. I think Bony and van Wolfswinkel are guaranteed to play so I see either of them as less risky than Lukaku.

In terms of Bony having a tough start, Michu proved last year that Swansea can score against anyone. It's not unusual for the bigger teams to struggle with clean sheets at the start of the season anyway and his second game is vs Spurs who have never been good at keeping clean sheets.

Will be interesting to see the final team sheets for the matches today. I haven't paid all that much attention to pre season tbh.

Going with Danny Graham last year, even though I always thought he was a terrible player, soured my thoughts of taking notice of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lemlin wrote: »
    I posted it a few weeks back because I was expecting them to post them closer to the run in but it's interesting that alot of the big hitters from last year haven't posted their potential teams.

In terms of my own current thoughts towards different players:

Mignolet may be too good to turn down at 5.5. He's a million cheaper than Hart or Cech and going on Rodgers' team's defensive returns in the last two years he could easily match them.

I'll be interested to see how City set up under Pellegrini. I've been told he's an attacking manager so that may effect their clean sheets. Let's be honest, City have the firepower to play Kevin Keegan-esque 'we'll score more than you' tactics so I'm not overly concerned with having Hart or a City defender until I see how they play.

With Mourinho at Chelsea on the other hand, you know you'll get clean sheets. That said, their defence is a minefield. Re Hazard, I read comments from Mourinho recently that he wants to work on Hazard regarding making him the "complete player", like he said he did with Joe Cole. Basically, he's going to work with Hazard on the defensive side of his game. That could be a worry. As could Mourinho's tendency to change things quickly. If a game is a half hour in and things aren't working, he won't hang around to introduce a couple of subs.

I'm not so sure about Coleman. Not because of Coleman but because of Martinez. I've never really seen what the hype is about. He's a manager that always had Wigan floating around relegation. Compare that to Pulis or Allardyce who took relegation threatened teams and moved them to mid table positions consistently. Wigan were never good at defending under him and that would be my main worry re Coleman. He may provide some attacking returns but a defender's primary purpose is still clean sheets for me.

In terms of the strikers, I reckon I will be going with Soldado, Dzeko and one other striker guaranteed to play. That counts out Lukaku. Yes, he fits the Mourinho mould and he's had a blistering pre season but there's still the Roman effect to consider. Chelsea signed Ba in January and, while others said he would clearly be first choice, my own opinion was that Roman wouldn't be happy to see his 50 million asset left on the bench. That was proved correct. I think Bony and van Wolfswinkel are guaranteed to play so I see either of them as less risky than Lukaku.

In terms of Bony having a tough start, Michu proved last year that Swansea can score against anyone. It's not unusual for the bigger teams to struggle with clean sheets at the start of the season anyway and his second game is vs Spurs who have never been good at keeping clean sheets.

Will be interesting to see the final team sheets for the matches today. I haven't paid all that much attention to pre season tbh.

Going with Danny Graham last year, even though I always thought he was a terrible player, soured my thoughts of taking notice of it.
    thats a great post i have to say i agree with almost everything you have said in particular your comments re coleman and martinez.The wolf for some reason i have nagging doubts particularly when ive read norwich are still linked with strikers. Out of interest who are the big hitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If Rooney gets 90mins, even at United, he is well worth 10.5m up front.

thats a great post i have to say i agree with almost everything you have said in particular your comments re coleman and martinez.The wolf for some reason i have nagging doubts particularly when ive read norwich are still linked with strikers. Out of interest who are the big hitters.

FutureGuy, iMuse, SlickRic and a few others who were inside top 500 last season.

I often look at a manager rather than a team or player. For example, I'll be keeping an eye on the Stoke defenders under Hughes who was good for clean sheets at Blackburn, City and Fulham.

I expect Martinez to be "found out" as it were at Everton. I don't particularly rate him as a manager at all.

The Wolf hasn't made my own final draft (at present) but I'll be keeping an eye on him to replace Dzeko who, barring unbelievable scoring form, will lose his place fairly quickly IMO.

FutureGuy, iMuse, SlickRic and a few others who were inside top 500 last season.

I often look at a manager rather than a team or player. For example, I'll be keeping an eye on the Stoke defenders under Hughes who was good for clean sheets at Blackburn, City and Fulham.

I expect Martinez to be "found out" as it were at Everton. I don't particularly rate him as a manager at all.

The Wolf hasn't made my own final draft (at present) but I'll be keeping an eye on him to replace Dzeko who, barring unbelievable scoring form, will lose his place fairly quickly.
    Ye martinez is a media darling alright that talks the talk but a bit of a spoofer if you ask me. I'm with you on the managers thing allarydyce is another great one for defensive organisation.

• Advertisement

Ye martinez is a media darling alright that talks the talk but a bit of a spoofer if you ask me. I'm with you on the managers thing allarydyce is another great one for defensive organisation.

Allardyce, Rodgers, Mourinho, Hughes and Moyes - all defensive managers to keep an eye on.

Jol, on the other hand and like Martinez, is one to avoid when it comes to defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Allardyce, Rodgers, Mourinho, Hughes and Moyes - all defensive managers to keep an eye on.

Jol, on the other hand and like Martinez, is one to avoid when it comes to defenders.

I think if United sign a defensive midfielder, then getting any of the regular back four into your FF should be a priority as clean sheets will rocket. As a whole, the defence is excellent, it's the open midfield that leads to all the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Bale needs to **** off sharpish. I'll have to rip my team apart to get him in if he doesn't go.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I think if United sign a defensive midfielder, then getting any of the regular back four into your FF should be a priority as clean sheets will rocket. As a whole, the defence is excellent, it's the open midfield that leads to all the problems.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Fellaini end up there.

Moyes doesn't appear to have the pull to attract large European names yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭bodking

Bale needs to **** off sharpish. I'll have to rip my team apart to get him in if he doesn't go.

I wont be chaning my team to get him in his score rate will go down due to soldado playing up front . And i think the team as a whole would be weaker to include him .

• Advertisement

bodking wrote: »
    I wont be chaning my team to get him in his score rate will go down due to soldado playing up front . And i think the team as a whole would be weaker to include him .

I think he'll go anyway but I agree with the above. A recognised striker will effect his scoring potential. Last year Defoe and Ade were struggling so he had free rein on the chances.

Spurs have spent over 50 million and I think they are spending with the plan being to cash in on him anyway.

Word has it price is agreed and the wrangling now is over payments/players.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

he'll probably go, but i disagree with the above. i think Bale would get more assists with Soldado in the team, and still score a good few himself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

After a series of negotiations I can confirm that Mickey Turner has turned down both the role of "Captain" and "Club Captain" at Norwich to concentrate on being the best Mickey Turner he can be. Therefore the role of team captaincy has fallen to Bassong and the club captaincy has been handed to Russell Martin both of whom are are defensive partners of Turner.

Mr.Prodston, Chief Mickey Turner Correspondent, Fantasy Sports Arena, Boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I don't understand this club & team captain stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Reservations at Dorsia

Is this Mickey Turner thing supposed to be funny?

Jax Teller wrote: »

Neither do I to be honest, I reckon from an FPL point of view it means that Bassong will start when fit but the club captaincy strikes me as there being a battle between Martin and Whittaker for right back on the horizon. I remember Gary Neville was club captain before he retired despite never playing. Guess it's a moral representation of the club or something?

Is this Mickey Turner thing supposed to be funny?

Yes it's hilarious and informative all at the same time.

Yes it's hilarious and informative all at the same time.

ill second that its the best thing on this forum.When mickey t gets his inevitable first goal this place will erupt.

It's generally used at a club where the captain doesn't play alot e.g. Fergie wanted Neville as captain but he played feck all so they had a team captain like Vidic or Ferdinand who would play most games.

It's bad news for Martin if you ask me because they've appointed Bassong team captain because he will play every game when available and they are obviously saying Martin won't.

club captain is a bull**** role for when a player that used to be the captain is no longer guaranteed to start. Think gary monk and gary neville they would be widely respected within the club and would organise the fines xmas party etc.Team captain is someone that will play every week. But if the club captain plays he will get the armband

• Advertisement

Some pre-season line-ups:

Norwich: Ruddy; Martin (c), Turner, R Bennett, Garrido; Snodgrass, Tettey, Johnson, Olsson; Hoolahan; Hooper.
    Subs: Bunn (GK), Whittaker, Ayala, Howson, Fer, Butterfield, E Bennett, Redmond, Becchio, van Wolfswinkel.

Cardiff: Marshall; Connolly, John, Kim, Caulker, Turner, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Campbell, Bellamy (C), Smith
    Subs: Brayford, Lewis, Mason, Cowie, Hudson, Conway, Noone.

WBA: Foster; Jones, McAuley, Olsson (c), Ridgewell; Morrison, Mulumbu, Yacob, Dorrans; Anelka, Rosenberg
    Subs: L Daniels; Dawson, Popov, Tamas, Long, Berahino, Roofe, Lugano

Villa: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar [c], Okore, Luna, El Ahmadi, Agbonlahor, Delph, Benteke, Tonev, Weimann
    Subs: Steer, Baker, Clark, Bennett, Bacuna, Helenius, Albrighton, Westwood, Sylla, Bowery, Gardner

Stoke: Begovic, Cameron, Shawcross, Huth, Pieters, Palacios, Nzonzi, Adam, Walters, Crouch, Etherington
    Subs: Sorensen, Muniesa, Whelan, Pennant, Jones, Wilson, Kightly, Wilkinson, Shotton, Jerome, Cuvelier

West Ham: Jaaskelainen; Demel, Reid, Tomkins, O'Brien; Nolan, Noble, Morrison; Cole, Maiga, Jarvis
    Subs: Adrian, Taylor, Collison, Rat, Diame, Diarra, Collins, Vaz Te

Southampton: Boruc, Chambers, Lovren, Hooiveld, Shaw, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Lallana (c), Guly, Rodriguez, Lambert.
    Subs: K. Davis, Gazzaniga, Yoshida, Fonte, S. Davis, Ramírez, Fox, Ward-Prowse, Cork, Mayuka, Isgrove, Puncheon.

Fulham: Stekelenburg; Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Richardson; Dejagah, Sidwell, Boateng, Na Bangna; Ruiz; Berbatov
    Subs: Stockdale, Riise, Senderos, Kasami, Karagounis, Frei, Duff, Taarabt, David, Rodallega

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva, Milner, Dzeko, Negredo
    Subs: Pantilimon, Micah Richards, Boyata, Kolarov, Garcia, Nasri, Navas, Rodwell, Wright

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Moxey, Jedinak, Garvan, Jonny Williams, Dobbie, Thomas, Wilbraham.
    Subs: Fitzsimons, Bolasie, KG, Phillips, O'Keefe, Gayle, Grandin, Ramage, de Silva, Wynter, Boateng, Jerome Williams

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Podolski
    Subs: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Perez, Hayden, Zelalem, Cazorla, Giroud

Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Wisdom, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Allen, Downing, Aspas, Coutinho.
    Subs: Jones, Alberto, Assaidi, Henderson, Sturridge, Coates, Borini, Sterling, Kelly, Flanagan, Ibe.

More to follow if and when Twitter tells me.

Some points worth noting from those (for me anyway):

Dzeko and Lescott start for City.

Wilson doesn't start for Stoke.

The Wolf doesn't start for Norwich.

Morrison starts for West Ham. Collins doesn't.

Some points worth noting from those (for me anyway):

Dzeko and Lescott start for City.

Wilson doesn't start for Stoke.

The Wolf doesn't start for Norwich.

Morrison starts for West Ham. Collins doesn't.

Also the Norwich team seems very much like a half and half. No Fer, Wolf, Olsson LW over Redmond also I'd have expected Martin to play CB over bennett and Whit to play. Personally concerned with Redmond not starting.

For Cardiff no Brayford starting with Connolly at RB.

However Chambers starting for So'ton is good so if Clyne is out I may well look at him for 4.0 defender after talking about him on the watchlist last week.

Also Giroud doesn't start.

These line-ups don't strike me as a first choice 11 for a lot of the teams, I guess to keep their opponents for next week guessing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

The back four I mentioned for Palace during the week is starting today . Might bring in Ward myself .

No Aguero or Jovetic in City squad at all is also worth noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Reservations at Dorsia

So how are we rating Dzeko's chancing of starting next week?

So how are we rating Dzeko's chancing of starting next week?

Very strong I think now as Aguero and Jovetic have little to no match fitness. Dzeko is a great candidate for the first 3 GWs now I think

walcott as central striker by the looks of things considering pod was lw most of last year. Personally wouldnt go near rvw or hooper for gw 1. Dzeko worth a punt for those with an early wildcard in mind.

Ravel Morrison with another goal already and Bradley Johnson heads in a Snodgrass free-kick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I like Bassong because Norwich are solid at the back. My only worry is they have signed some good attacking talent and might be more attacking next season.

Advertisement