Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

the antim player taken away has been kept in hospital over night and scans have shown no long term damage.so it doesnt look as bad as first thought lads which is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Glad to hear the kid will be ok hopefully. Good to see the minors bounce back and hopefully sense will prevail in terms of awarding us the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

robopaddy wrote: »
    Stephen bennett has scored 9 goals so far in this years minor hurling championship. Never heard of anything like that at this level. Not bad for lad who had a double hip operation in january

A double hip operation at his age, good lord, how serious was this injury? Hopefully no long term affects... We need him for the long haul he is lethal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

noiniho wrote: »
    A double hip operation at his age, good lord, how serious was this injury? Hopefully no long term affects... We need him for the long haul he is lethal

well he hadnt hurled for the best part of 10 months so was quite serious and of course there were questions as to whether he could ever fully recover for somthing as big as that. im sure would have missed a lot of school aswell in his leaving cert year so Im sure hes had a tough time of it. We tend to big young players up a bit too easily in this county but I think what he has achieved and the level of performances he has given have been astonishing given what hes been through and deserve to be applauded.

Mullane picked some bad year to retire.

whose to say it would have been any different. weve been getting to AI semi finals over the past 4/5 years but the bottom line is we just havent been good enough to win them whatever the opposition. so I say good luck to the counties that have made it through and see if they can make that breakthrough that we couldnt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

alllcounty wrote: »
    Looks like kilkenny are gone for 2013. Delighted. Who'll win Liam now?

If i was a betting man id say Cork. May not be the best team left in it but will be full of confidence after beating Kilkenny, got a great man on the line in JBM. Cork always tend to play above themselves in the big games in Croke park. I dunno if Dublin can withstand the white heat intensity that they will bring. Can see Clare beating Limerick but whoever gets through that semi will have huge hype surrounding them like we did in '08 which may work against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done to the minors, I know they're not home and hosed yet but you'd imagine the powers that be will give us the win. Would be pointless to play it again, I'd have no fear of racking up another cricket score against Antrim but would be more concerned about fatigue for the following game and the risk of injuries.
    Bennett and Curran some men for the scoring, hope they can keep it going. 9 goals in 6 games is excellent going for Bennett but bigger tests ahead.

For what it's worth, I think it'll be a Clare v Dublin AI final, I'd go for Clare to win it. They seem to be able to put up big scores. Really not much between the 4 teams left, you could make a case for any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I think it'll be Limerick/Cork myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Read an interesting stat elsewhere - Tom Kenny of Cork the only player left in the championship with an AI medal.....and it's not even August yet! Unbelieveable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭seananigans

I'd like to make an apology to any of the minors reading this thread .

while i came to ashbourne for the game , the competition was over at half time and i spent more time watching the telly in the club bar than i did the minors

but i was there with a cork girl,arguably the only cork person there ,and i can assure you there was one hell of a roar from the travelling Déise when that match finished .

its not forgot about the minors but it took care of itself and when it rained and there was a conflict it was easier to be in the bar we could seee the game and keep an eye on cork.

does anyone have the attendance figures?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

how much was left when the match was abandoned? If it was only a few mins it would be ridiculous if the match had to be replayed given the scoreline.But i wouldnt write of the genius athletic association ordering a replay on technical grounds...

WumBuster wrote: »
    how much was left when the match was abandoned? If it was only a few mins it would be ridiculous if the match had to be replayed given the scoreline.But i wouldnt write of the genius athletic association ordering a replay on technical grounds...

I would think that Antrim will have to be in agreement not to have a replay in order for the result to stand. Unless they feel they grossly underperformed and just didnt show up on the day and would love a second crack at it I really dont see why they would want to go through that a second time

Apparently the Antrim officials conceeded the game after the injury so they will not be looking for a replay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭seananigans

when will we know which senior game the next round is attached to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

noiniho wrote: »
    Apparently the Antrim officials conceeded the game after the injury so they will not be looking for a replay

The GAA's website are reporting this to be the case. I'm a little relieved, anything can happen when you enter the smoke-filled confines of a GAA commitTEE room.

when will we know which senior game the next round is attached to ?

its attached to cork v dublin so will be on next sunday week in croker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cake Man wrote: »
    Read an interesting stat elsewhere - Tom Kenny of Cork the only player left in the championship with an AI medal.....and it's not even August yet! Unbelieveable!

Not sure if they didn't count him because he's currently injured, but Brian Murphy also has 2 all-ireland medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Looking at the number of players on the minor team from junior and intermediate clubs, and having seen how playing for the Dungarvan Colleges combined colleges team developed some of these lads, is there a case to be made for having combined regional teams made up of players from junior and intermediate club teams and having them compete in the senior championship? It couldn't hurt the games development all round and it would stand to the strength of the county team in the long term.

Ropaire wrote: »
    Looking at the number of players on the minor team from junior and intermediate clubs, and having seen how playing for the Dungarvan Colleges combined colleges team developed some of these lads, is there a case to be made for having combined regional teams made up of players from junior and intermediate club teams and having them compete in the senior championship? It couldn't hurt the games development all round and it would stand to the strength of the county team in the long term.

tried it before in the 90's/early noughties and it was a disaster. Teams not fielding, and getting beat by absolute cricket scores.

Im not trying to dish your suggestion I actually agree it would be good if it could work but its not worked in the past, the interest just wasnt there and that was during good economic times when more players were around and available

robopaddy wrote: »
    tried it before in the 90's/early noughties and it was a disaster. Teams not fielding, and getting beat by absolute cricket scores.

Im not trying to dish your suggestion I actually agree it would be good if it could work but its not worked in the past, the interest just wasnt there and that was during good economic times when more players were around and available

While I guess that's meant they weren't proud as they would be of a club from there own area, would the fact that more people are emigrating not make it more conceivable that group teams might work/be necessary?

I don't understand why it would be an issue for clubs like Geraldines and Ballinameela or Modeligo, St Marys Touraneena and Colligan to play with each other at Senior level and just have the clubs St Olivers and Naoimh Brid/St Pats.

There's more just using those two as I'm quite familiar with them. Now obviously, they would have to be the ones to ultimately decided and if they're not interested fair enough but surely it's disheartening when say they're playing Division one hurling (Did Naomh Brid win div 1 or 2 in the u16 hurling this year?) and then when those players get to Senior level one of the club only gets 3 or 4 players out of it. Hard to sustain that I would have thought.

• Advertisement

While I guess that's meant they weren't proud as they would be of a club from there own area, would the fact that more people are emigrating not make it more conceivable that group teams might work/be necessary?

I don't understand why it would be an issue for clubs like Geraldines and Ballinameela or Modeligo, St Marys Touraneena and Colligan to play with each other at Senior level and just have the clubs St Olivers and Naoimh Brid/St Pats.

There's more just using those two as I'm quite familiar with them. Now obviously, they would have to be the ones to ultimately decided and if they're not interested fair enough but surely it's disheartening when say they're playing Division one hurling (Did Naomh Brid win div 1 or 2 in the u16 hurling this year?) and then when those players get to Senior level one of the club only gets 3 or 4 players out of it. Hard to sustain that I would have thought.

The whole concept would probably work better now because of the quality of some of the young players coming through for example on the Dungarvan CBS team who are from smaller clubs, after playing at such a high level growing up (some of the best school and county teams in the country nevermind the county) they would probably love to have a craic at senior, and unlike before, they probably would be very competitive if not have a fair crack of winning it eventually.

As far as I know a team from Colligan/Kilgobnet St Marys and Modeligo entered a team in the senior hurling championship a few years back called Comeragh Rangers or something I dont know much about it but obviously didnt work as it went again pretty quickly.

I do agree that a lot more talented young players are coming through from smaller junior and intermediate clubs all over the county that realistically will never be senior so you would have to worry about the future of these players. How can these lads progress to the next level? I know going all-county it one suggestion being bandied about thats a debate for another day (dont get allcounty started!!!) but as we know at this stage the powers that be are slow to change and some of these smaller clubs themselves are the very ones objecting the strongest.
    Obviously the group team idea sounds great in an ideal world but for some reason or another it just dosent take off in this county (im not for a minute suggesting that its because the clubs dont want to be playing on the same team as neighbouring clubs) I dont beleive this to be the case I just believe the tradition and appetite for it isnt in the county for whatever reason and this has been proven in the past.

The thing we dont want is masses of players from smaller clubs transferring to senior clubs and with no parish rule in this county its always going to be a big threat. And the last thing we want is to be losing players from the game fullstop because of being disillusioned at the level they are playing. Certain players will always stick by their club no matter what while others will want to test themselves at a higher level and I beleive no sportsman should be penalised for doing that either so it between a rock and a hard place

Delicate situation alright. In my opinion though, a player's greatest development would be through exposure to Inter-Couty training setups. If these lads are involved with county teams all up the way alon I don't think they should be in too much danger of regressing unless they aren't committed enough.

But playing Senior would be no hinderance, especially if it raised the standard overall.

Delicate situation alright. In my opinion though, a player's greatest development would be through exposure to Inter-Couty training setups. If these lads are involved with county teams all up the way alon I don't think they should be in too much danger of regressing unless they aren't committed enough.

But playing Senior would be no hinderance, especially if it raised the standard overall.

Yea I think the strength and conditioning that young lads are put through now in developments squads etc they are physically huge by the time they get to adult age anyway so physicality is not going to be an issue anymore. Its the skill levels that might suffer though and the first touch if not playing at high level consistently. The lads brough onto the county panel early will have a good chance but many lads dont mature and improve as hurlers until they are 22 or 23 and those are the lads we could lose out on. The Junior and Intermediate championships are quite a poor standard in this county in general and thats fairly evident when playing against the champions from other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Minor games against Limerick & Clare will be up on the Just Play app tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Two games in the SHC tonight; Dungarvan and Passage played out a draw with 18 points apiece. That should be enough to send Passage through, Dungarvan probably need another point to ensure the same.

In the other game Lismore were surprisingly beaten by Ballyduff Upper on a score of 1-17 to 2-13. That result opens up a number of possibilities in that group, great result for Ballyduff.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

eoin Kelly held scoreless from play...when was the last time this happened?? if ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Any one have a list of the starting 15 for the teams involved in senior hurling last night? Passage are tipping away nicely.

Considering he didn't score, it's some result for Passage as they are usually reliant enough on him from play.

• Advertisement

Watched the minor games last night on sky plus, was at the replay in Thurles but was at te opposite end of the field for Bennett seconds goal so was hard to see. Watching it last night the finish was absolutely class, he threw up the ball but delayed his strike and struck alot later than expected and the Limerick keeper had already hit the deck, he did this under pressure fromthe Limerick defence it was a cracking finish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement