Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Galway outer bypass: Is it needed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

And this is where things get interesting and side tracked into talks of a bungalow blitz which in reality has less to do with city traffic than the fact that a large number of farmers & people that had jobs in the county are having to look increasingly to the city for work (a phenomenon that started in the 80s).

Regardless of the origins (and it's true, pluriactivity on farms has become a characteristic of Irish farming since the 1970s, particularly west of the Shannon), the problem is that it is very much a factor when it comes to city traffic. As the figures show, County Galway is far more rural in nature than other comparable Irish counties (Cork and Limerick in particular), with fewer and far smaller urban centres (something that drives non work related trips to Galway also). Also, very many of those rural houses have practically nothing to do with farming - they are and were urban generated in the first place. Unless you can stop that spread, everything else is a waste of time (a lot has already been done, but not nearly enough).

In terms of what to do - well, a lot of what needs to be done has to depend on a fairly rigorous analysis of the POWCARS and demographic data (where people live, where they work, and the likely trends over time). From that also will flow a lot of data around future infrastructural requirements, not just transport but schools, healthcare, electricity, telecoms, water, waste water etc. Only then can you start looking at options properly. Given the basic population and industrial geography of the city already however, it looks a candidate for a kind of multi-polar model (mainly due to the constrained nature of the city centre and the small size and relative distance of the potential dormitory towns), with dense and properly planned small centres arrayed around the existing suburbs, including new residential zoning on the Eastern fringe and limited further industrial zoning on the western fringe, all premised on good public transport links (bus lanes post GCOB in this case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

antoobrien wrote: »
    Ah so when the figures prove you wrong they still prove you right, well done!

I'm not sure I follow. Can you elaborate?

I'm aware of that, the figures though claimed a real numbers drop in the city - which is clearly untrue.

EDIT: Now I see it. It's the copy-and-paste headline on the Galway News report -- Fewer children now walking to school in Galway City. Clearly incorrect, the number in the city being higher by a total of 19 children. The headline should just say Galway, although obviously the city and county situation should not be conflated, so fair point re the misleading impression given by the piece. To clarify, however, my own comments in that post were directed at the change in car use, as evidenced by the bolded parts of galwaycyclist's quoted post: "car use in Galway City increased by five percentage points among workers and parents of primary school children during the intercensal period 2006-2011". I didn't notice the error in the headline, but if I had I certainly wouldn't have used the piece. You can't be too careful around here...

Oh, tell that to the people who tell give us the impression that if we can just fix the schools we won't need a bypass.

Quote/link please.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If we want to get figures that we everyone can be comfortable with, we need to do far more regular and detailed examinations than the census, which is a scratching of the surface once every 5 years.

While more regular data, and local traffic counts are very useful to back up the census where needed, no other data will come close to the census in getting the fullest possable picture.

The best possable fix would be for the cencus to ask if people used different modes and how often.

One of the reasons I distrust the census data and prefer actual traffic studies (e.g. traffic counters, bus & train passenger numbers where available) is because of the time lapse between them. The census capture snapshots at a particular time but they do not get useful continuing data. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are what has been recorded for me in the last 3 censuses.

Census|Mode
    2002 | Cycle
    2006 | Walk
    2011 | Cycle

In the intra census period 2002-2006 I appear as a cycling statistic, when I would have spent months either getting buses, being a passenger for someone going that way, walking, using PT or driving. But the census just sees a cyclist until 2006 who started walking (funny it's always assumed when we look at figrues that they are lost to cars if there is an increase in that figure). Between 2006 & 2011 I again did everything except drive to work. Right now I'm down as a cyclist again for the next 5 years, despite the fact that I was a PT passenger for most of the period and now drive.

In this respect you're adnormal. You're at the fridges. Most people stick to one mode most of the time.

Traffic counts etc fill in gaps but they do not override the census data.

Aidan1 wrote: »
    people have been quoting figures for walking to school within the city. That;'s just the figure over the line - what about the figure below (the total number of children in that age bracket attending school). Without that, you don't know if the percentage actually rose or fell, which is materially very important.

Debates/arguments on Boards can be tedious or pointless in the extreme, but what I find useful, from time to time, about the process is that it prompts you to refine your arguments, justify your position, test your assumptions and check your facts.

With regard to that headline in Galway News, it turns out that they were correct in the sense that matters in the present context, ie proportion, although they did not provide the relevant figures in the report.*

Galway City: children aged 5-12, mode of travel to school

TOTAL 5405
    On foot 1190 (22%)
    Bike 30 (1%)
    Bus 450 (8%)
    Car 3377 (62%)

TOTAL 6080
    On foot 1209 (20%)
    Bike 100 (2%)
    Bus 388 (6%)
    Car 4123 (68%)

The proportion of children aged 5-12 walking to school in Galway City therefore declined by two percentage points in the intercensal period 2006-11, whereas the percentage travelling by car increased by three times that rate, ie by six percentage points. The proportion travelling by bus dropped by two percentage points, though on the plus side the numbers cycling grew more than threefold (30 in 2006 versus 100 in 2011).*

In terms of absolute numbers, about 750 more children aged 5-12 were driven to school in Galway City in 2011 compared to 2006. Just for the sake of argument (:)) if we assume one child and 5 metres of carriageway length per car, that amounts to a line of bumper-to-bumper traffic stretching 3.75 km, and that's just for the extra numbers being driven just to primary school in Galway City, spiritual home of intolerable traffic congestion... ;)

*Disclaimer: unless I have read the Census figures wrong. I'm using a wee netbook thingy, and I can barely see the effing text on the screen. If someone spots an error, I'm sure I'll be told about it PDQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    In terms of absolute numbers, about 750 more children aged 5-12 were driven to school in Galway City in 2011 compared to 2006. Just for the sake of argument (:)) if we assume one child and 5 metres of carriageway length per car, that amounts to a line of bumper-to-bumper traffic stretching 3.75 km, and that's just for the extra numbers being driven just to primary school in Galway City, spiritual home of intolerable traffic congestion... ;)

This kind of analysis - purposely taking the worst case scenario despite no corroborating evidence - highlights what the census data is severely lacking: information on how many child occupants (and adults for that matter) per car there are and where does the driver go from there. I'm sure some of the parents here will immediately and strenuously disagree but I know of a at least half a dozen families with 2 or more children that are dropped off on the way to work. These are the cars that will show up later as "single occupant" cars in studies that look at cars on the road to be further abused by statistics.

There's also the question of how many bus routes are in usable locations for the children to use them on their way to school, forgetting the approximate €10 per day it will cost a working parent to use the bus while bringing little johnny or mary to school.

I like the straw IWH, I know a few farmers that need fodder:D Now can you get them to self animate so that they can walk to the farmers and I don't have charge delivery ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

This kind of analysis - purposely taking the worst case scenario despite no corroborating evidence - highlights what the census data is severely lacking: information on how many child occupants (and adults for that matter) per car there are and where does the driver go from there. I'm sure some of the parents here will immediately and strenuously disagree but I know of a at least half a dozen families with 2 or more children that are dropped off on the way to work. These are the cars that will show up later as "single occupant" cars in studies that look at cars on the road to be further abused by statistics.

There's also the question of how many bus routes are in usable locations for the children to use them on their way to school, forgetting the approximate €10 per day it will cost a working parent to use the bus while bringing little johnny or mary to school.

Sure let us assume this is correct. But if so then this is one car effectively making two extra trips in the city at peak hours.

1. The trip to school
    2. The trip to work

There will may be very comparitively few cases where the school is directly on the route to work. In the evening the situation will be reversed.

3. The trip to school
    4. The trip home

In many cases the trip to school will involve creating large queues at key, and restricted, junctions. Kingston Cross as one example.

So even if all the parents still bring the car to work (which I don't accept) getting more kids walking and cycling to school still removes a significant burden from the city's road capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sure let us assume this is correct. But if so then this is one car effectively making two extra trips in the city at peak hours.

1. The trip to school
    2. The trip to work

There will be very few cases where the school is directly on the route to work. In the evening the situation will be reversed.

3. The trip to school
    4. The trip home

In many cases the trip to school will involve creating large queues at key, and restricted, junctions. Kingston Cross as one example.

So even if all the parents still bring the car to work (which I don't accept) getting more kids walking and cycling to school still removes a significant burden from the city's road capacity.

As a child I used this route to cycle to school. Now, my child will be using this same route in a few short years, but I'm loathe to consider allowing her to cycle.

Can the totality of solutions not be examined on this thread i.e. a significant volume of vehicular traffic being "moved" to a bypass, freeing up road space on Kingston Road, Taylor's Hill etc. for more cycling? To me these roads would be ideally suited for some sort of orbital arrangement whereby cars would go "in" Taylor's Hill and "out" Salthill, or somesuch. A significant portion of the road could be given to cycling etc.

However, absent the bypass, and the resultant reduction in congestion, I couldn't conceive of letting my little one onto those roads on a bike.

I meant to say: does anyone remember the DEC staff bus? This collected staff from Knocknacarra and hinterlands and allowed children make their own way wherever they were going. Do any of the companies based on the East side of the river do this now?

I like the straw IWH, I know a few farmers that need fodder:D Now can you get them to self animate so that they can walk to the farmers and I don't have charge delivery ;)

Ah so when the figures prove you wrong they still prove you right, well done!

So, no acknowledgement of what the comparative Census stats actually show then?

As for the "worst case scenario" -- the hypothetical situation in which all 750 extra children (since 2006) are taken to school on a one child per car occupancy rate -- it leaves out the obvious reality that the number 750 refers only to the increase in the number of children being driven to primary school 2006-2011.

The total number travelling by car is actually 4123. So let's see, purely for the crack, how the figures stack up.

According to the CSO the average number of children per family in 2011 was 1.4.

Taking that statistic purely for the purposes of illustration, we will assume that the 4123 children would be transported to primary school in 2945 cars (4123/1.4).

Assuming 5 metres of carriageway per vehicle (car length plus headway), that amounts to a hypothetical line of bumper-to-bumper traffic nearly 15 km long.

Again, someone who's better at sums than I am please correct me if those calculations are wrong.

By way of further illustration, a 15 km line of cars bumper-to-bumper would equate to, say, a tailback stretching from the junction of Kingston Road-Taylor's Hill all the way to Spiddal.

That's a hypothetical platoon of nearly 3000 cars around 15 km long traversing Galway City every day during term time, just to get to primary school.

I haven't even started on the secondary school and Third Level figures yet, but maybe I'll wait until somebody points out the mistakes in my calculations first...

how many child occupants (and adults for that matter) per car there are and where does the driver go from there. I'm sure some of the parents here will immediately and strenuously disagree but I know of a at least half a dozen families with 2 or more children that are dropped off on the way to work. These are the cars that will show up later as "single occupant" cars in studies that look at cars on the road to be further abused by statistics.

From the Irish Heart Foundation's 2010 report, Building Young Hearts:

Findings from the 2006 Census echo the reduction in active travel modes to school. Between 1991 and 2006 walking and cycling decreased while travel by car increased. 25% travel less than 1km, 36% travel between 2-4km and 60% of parents who drop off by car don’t go to work.*

*I haven't cross-checked those figures, but that's what the IHF said anyway.

Actually, these figures don't suit the anti bypass argument. Patently there is something about Galway that makes it particularly poor in terms of car dependence, one of them being traffic in the city

Can you clarify?

If I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying that traffic (or traffic congestion) is a direct cause of car dependence in Galway City?

• Advertisement

are you saying that traffic (or traffic congestion) is a direct cause of car dependence in Galway City?

That wasn't what I meant, but to a certain degree it happens to be true. What I was trying to say (badly) is that car dependence is higher in Galway than in other Irish cities, and the underlying reasons for this needed to be examined. Essentially it's down to the fact that Galway was a county town that grew massively, in a poorly planned way from the 1960s onwards, and infrastructure has never managed to keep up. So the core is too small and narrow to allow traffic to flow through it, and the more recent road network has too many blockages and pinch points to deal with the volume of traffic (particularly that crossing the city). Before you do anything else, you have to take these cars off the streets - the only way of doing that in a practical sense is push them onto a orbital or ring road. However if you only do that, and don't make the city more habitable, don't invest in public transport, or don't plan land use and transport in the entire city region (50km+ around the city) properly, then you merely commit to another generation of car dependency.

But as it happens, car dependency does tend to breed car dependency, because (a) the more people are forced into their cars by a lack of plausible alternatives, the more services and retail becomes car oriented, and (b) the more hostile the urban environment is to other transport means. Essentially, I'm suggesting that the GCOB should be seized upon as a means of making Galway more pedestrian and bike friendly, and re-orienting the city towards far more sustainable transport by controlling demand on the GCOB by using the planning system effectively.

Before you do anything else, you have to take these cars off the streets - the only way of doing that in a practical sense is push them onto a orbital or ring road.

No, it's not the only way. There's loads of things that can be done in Galway before thinking for removing any or much traffic. There's a long list of things you could do before thinking of removing much in the way of current traffic lanes / current car capacity.

The provision for cycling and walking in Galway is lacking or of very low quality -- often where there's some or lots of space.

Many of the things you could do -- like Dutch-style fully segregated roundabouts -- would be good for all road users:

The provision for cycling and walking in Galway is lacking or of very low quality -- often where there's some or lots of space.

The issue is not those areas where there is lots of space, but rather where there is very little - Galway is best by pinch points, some very old (like around the city centre), others much newer (modern road junctions). And while elevated junctions are great in a lot of locations, the distruption of even building them in Galway would shut the city down, even before you consider the fact that there really isn't room for that kind of thing in those areas in Galway. Vertical separation requires ramps to get traffic/people up and down, and for a lot of key junctions, that would require demolition too. More to the point though, these things are generally visually intrusive and out of character with a city - an urban motorway with elevated junctions was recommended in the BKS study for Cork in the late 1970s - it drove home to policy makers that a LUTS was required. They also distort the urban grain and the scale of development, and make the city less welcoming as a place to live. Again, it is by far a better option to push traffic out of town (while managing demand and car dependency), and restore the city as a place for people to live.

The issue is not those areas where there is lots of space, but rather where there is very little - Galway is best by pinch points, some very old (like around the city centre), others much newer (modern road junctions). And while elevated junctions are great in a lot of locations, the distruption of even building them in Galway would shut the city down, even before you consider the fact that there really isn't room for that kind of thing in those areas in Galway. Vertical separation requires ramps to get traffic/people up and down, and for a lot of key junctions, that would require demolition too. More to the point though, these things are generally visually intrusive and out of character with a city - an urban motorway with elevated junctions was recommended in the BKS study for Cork in the late 1970s - it drove home to policy makers that a LUTS was required. They also distort the urban grain and the scale of development, and make the city less welcoming as a place to live. Again, it is by far a better option to push traffic out of town (while managing demand and car dependency), and restore the city as a place for people to live.

Loads of spaces on many of the N6 junctions and also at places like the old Dublin Road beside GMIT. In some cases if some demolition was justified, I can't see the problem.

Cork was looking at following Irish / UK designs which are far more intrusive and poorer for pedestrians and cyclists, including the disabled -- and Cork did follow this type of design in some places in the end! Dutch designs are far less intrusive and are better for pedestrians and cyclists.

The Dutch designs would bring the current N6 and other areas which are "out of character with a city" far more in character with a city. More importantly these designs would work best for all users.

Which Dutch example distorts the urban grain and the scale of development, and make the city less welcoming as a place to live? I can find more examples of this roundabout type if you want?

It's clear the design principal does the opposite. It allows major roads around the city to work for everybody. The idea that these roads will be downgraded when an outter bypass goes in is just not dealing with reality.

The recent city council N6 plans are far more out of touch with the urban grain and the scale of development -- just because these junctions are at one level does not make them right -- the scale is still massive and compared to Dutch designs the planned Galway ones harms mobility for those not in cars. It seems to go against Irish urban roads and cycling guidlines.

monument wrote: »
    Loads of spaces on many of the N6 junctions and also at places like the old Dublin Road beside GMIT. In some cases if some demolition was justified, I can't see the problem.

There are two spots where the road won't support a bridge structure, there is one location where there is physical space to do something vaguely like the N4 Lucan floyover but the geometry is, well, wrong.

From the start of the N6 at the back of the hospital we have 2 straight-on junctions, the rest are either sharp left turns or sharp right turns and these are locations that we;re supposed to shoehorn in overpasses.

There is a proposal for a new Tesco in Westside, the estimated cost of a 100m-200m road (including demotions, moving services etc) is €3m. We can go much higher if a business is forced to relocate. Fortunately the city council know that this is a non-runner in any economic environment.
    the scale is still massive

For all the council are getting grief about the conversion project (I think it's a farce and better facilities could be put in places using pedestrian bridges), if the junctions are overpowered then good, it's about time we got ahead of the curve on something.
    the planned Galway ones harms mobility for those not in cars

I'm undecided as to whether they've made the situation worse for cyclists, I haven't heard anybody complain about the pedestrian lights at the new junctions.

As for the dutch examples, do any Dutch city have commuter radius like those seen in this country?

I might be very much mistaken, but pretty much every Dutch town of any scale I've been in has a full scale motorway by-pass or orbital route - urban roads just don't carry the same volume of vehicular traffic there as they do in Galway (and where they do, they have decades of investment in road infrastructure to deal with it - we don't. Again, you are suggesting a solution to a different problem, or at least in the wrong order. Even if you could find to space and funds to build fully segregated roundabouts in Galway, and could persuade people that the disruption was worth it, you would still have much the same traffic issues as you do now, stifling economic growth, making it more difficult and expensive to live and do business in Galway, and thus damaging the prospects of the entire city region. It would take a massive modal shift to make any dent in the traffic (and no increase in car use due to economic growth), and that simply isn't going to happen, partly because of the population geography of Galway, partly because of the disasterous spread of one off rural housing and partly because of the the fact that all of these things taken together have made the city increasingly car dependent. Trying to 'fix' these issues by making cycling easier and driving more difficult is not just as dumb as pushing a rope, it is also not going to get political traction in any meaningful sense. Never going to happen.

Frankly, "but the Netherlands" is not a valid argument in this case unless you consider the very different spatial, social and political contexts, a good start being the fact that Dutch cities and towns generally have had decades if not centuries of planning and investment in transport infrastucture. Up until 40 years ago, Galway was a poor town in the West of Ireland that saw it's last (and only) sustained investment in transport in the Victorian era. However, if you do what the Dutch actually did, which is bring long distance vehicular traffic off the streets of cities and towns, largely to preserve the urban realm for people, then I'm all in.

The reason Cork was looking at UK (and US) type designs was because those were the ones required to carry the volumes of traffic involved - the ultimate solution was to build the tunnel and the (very American) South Ring Road. The other element of the thing, spatial planning and investment in the public transport and the urban realm has been much slower (mainly due to a shortage of funding from central Govt), but it is happening. But again, the prescription was the same, move the traffic out and preserve the city. It merely happened a generation earlier in Cork because the problem was bigger due to the fact that it's bigger and has an even more constrained city centre.

That wasn't what I meant, but to a certain degree it happens to be true. What I was trying to say (badly) is that car dependence is higher in Galway than in other Irish cities, and the underlying reasons for this needed to be examined. Essentially it's down to the fact that Galway was a county town that grew massively, in a poorly planned way from the 1960s onwards, and infrastructure has never managed to keep up. So the core is too small and narrow to allow traffic to flow through it, and the more recent road network has too many blockages and pinch points to deal with the volume of
    traffic (particularly that crossing the city).

Thanks for re-engaging with this debate.

First up, I think it's necessary to distinguish between car ownership, car use and car dependence.

I walked and cycled to school as a child. As the years went by more people bought cars and more people drove. Same infrastructure and roads environment, different number of cars.

Lots of people don't own a car these days. Last time I checked there were c. 28,000 cars registered in Galway City iirc -- I don't know what the figure is now. Regardless of that figure, it is self-evident that not everybody uses their car all the time. It is also a truism that well over 90 percent of our roads are uncongested for well over 90 percent of the time, which means that car ownership does not inevitably result in perpetual congestion.

Some people own a car, myself included, but choose to commute by other means. Others could travel by other means but tend to use the car more often than not. Another cohort cannot do without their car, for one reason or another.

As we know, Ireland has a level of car ownership below that of France, Norway, Austria, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden and the Netherlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita). Yet in all these countries, their higher level of car ownership apparently does not result in a higher level of car use than we have, as evidenced by, for example, their percentages of total trips by bike (http://policy.rutgers.edu/faculty/pucher/irresistible.pdf). In the EU, Denmark has both a lower level of car ownership and a much higher level of cycling than we do.

We can therefore regard car use & dependence as being on a spectrum, which might look something like this:
    Doesn't own a car. Walks, cycles, takes the bus or car pools
    Owns a car for occasional use, mostly long journeys
    Chooses to use the car for some trips, including occasional short or medium distances
    Uses the car for many trips, including regular journeys over short distances
    Uses the car for the vast majority of trips, even for minor journeys of less than a few hundred metres
    Unable to do without the car at all, even when direct and indirect costs are high.
    My father-in-law is in Category 2, whereas I am in Category 3.

I know of many people who seem to be at an advanced stage of car dependence. My aforementioned father-in-law walks to mass every Sunday, while his equally able-bodied neighbours always drive to the same church. Neighbours of mine drive their kids to the local creche and primary school, while my kid now cycles over four times that distance to Junior Infants.

The cardinal signs of dependence include tolerance and withdrawal (http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/terminology/definition1/en/). Habitual car use seems to make a given distance eventually feel too far to walk or cycle. Maybe that's just an issue of time: if I can get to somewhere in the city more quickly by car than by walking or cycling, I adjust by leaving home that little bit later. On the other hand, if driving takes longer because of all that traffic (ie all the other drivers who think it takes too long to walk or cycle) then I can maximise the pleasure quotient by settling into the comfortable upholstery and turning the radio up a little. On the other hand, if I'm carless for any reason I'll end up like one of those sad sacks schlumping around in the rain or, god forbid, I'll have to sit beside some w*nker on the bus. I recall someone telling me that she'd rather chew her own arm off than leave her car. Ironically, she was working in Public Health!

To continue the substance use analogy, another key point to remember is that, rather like passive smoking, indiscriminate car use affects citizens who do not drive a car (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2006/mar/22/guardiansocietysupplement7).

We therefore have to deal with car use and dependence at societal level, taking cognisance of the fact that there are degrees of use and dependence. If it's the case that "infrastructure has never managed to keep up" then imo the policy response should be to prioritise infrastructure that facilitates a move away from driving as the primary mode of travel. Building roads does not encourage a reduction in car use and car dependence: the exact opposite is the case.

It is also self-evident that the current level of infrastructure across Galway City, which is the same for all of us, is (a) already used by pedestrians and cyclists etc and (b) not congested 100% of the time. It is not true to say that "that car dependence is higher in Galway than in other Irish cities." According to Census 2011 proportionally more commuters walked to work in Galway, with 17 per cent walking compared to 14.5 per cent in Dublin and Waterford.

There are therefore 'elasticities' in travel demand which deserve much greater attention and which could be managed in such a way as to significantly reduce traffic congestion on the existing network. I have already referred to the rice analogy: same 'bottleneck' but entirely different flow rates, depending on how the inputs are managed. If there are "too many blockages and pinch points to deal with the volume of traffic" then start with tackling the volume of traffic, since that is a variable, not a constant. And no, a bypass is not the automatic first step in that regard.

Before you do anything else, you have to take these cars off the streets - the only way of doing that in a practical sense is push them onto a orbital or ring road. However if you only do that, and don't make the city more habitable, don't invest in public transport, or don't plan land use and transport in the entire city region (50km+ around the city) properly, then you merely commit to another generation of car dependency.

For some reason this reminds me of Cold War political rhetoric! It used to be said that the likes of CND were just a communist front because they insisted on unilateral nuclear disarmament of the western democracies first. No government in the Western Bloc wanted to back down, and it was subversive to suggest that they should eliminate their nuclear weapons as a matter of principle.

The debate on this particular aspect of the GCOB proposal seems to be polarised. IMO, there are the Bypass First advocates ("we just want a bridge") and the TDM First advocates, myself included, who would argue that serious initiatives need to be put in place to tackle car use and car dependence in the short to medium term, as well as to ensure that over the long term a bypass will not, whether by accident or design, do exactly the opposite.

As you rightly point out, bypasses do not necessarily mean reduced car dependence. In Waterford City, for example, where a bypass was opened in 2009 iirc, the proportion of people walking to work decreased from 16% in 2006 to 15% in 2011. Bus use dropped from 4% to 3%, while the number of car passengers decreased from 9% to 8%. Meanwhile, the proportion of people driving to work increased by five percentage points, from 58% to 63%. And wasn't Waterford a successful bidder in the Smarter Travel programme three or four years ago?

It seems to be accepted that there will be no GCOB until 2019 at the earliest. Given that time constraint, and given the well-recognised phemonenon that new roads attract new traffic, what is the evidence-based justification for building a bypass "before you do anything else"? What policy-based reasons are there for us to sit in our cars and wait for six years until a bypass materialises? Note that I'm asking for a rationale based on evidence and policy. Arguments based on the premise that you can't expect people to own cars and not use them just do not cut the mustard, in my opinion.
    But as it happens, car dependency does tend to breed car dependency, because (a) the more people are forced into their cars by a lack of plausible alternatives, the more services and retail becomes car oriented, and (b) the more hostile the urban environment is to other transport means. Essentially, I'm suggesting that the GCOB should be seized upon as a means of making Galway more pedestrian and bike friendly, and re-orienting the city towards far more sustainable transport by controlling demand on the GCOB by using the planning system effectively.

Galway City already has one of the highest levels of walking and cycling outside Dublin. Where's the implausibility there? That said, I accept that there's a bit of a Catch 22 for people who have become conditioned to car use: both current and potential walkers/cyclists/bus users often find the current environment unconducive (roundabouts, speed, lack of crosswalks etc), so the tendency is to stick with the car. That keeps more cars on the road, and so the vicious circle goes.

However, more walking and cycling also means safer walking and cycling. The presence of more pedestrians and cyclists on the road makes walking and cycling more normalised, creates greater visibility and acceptance of these modes of travel, and encourages "me too" reactions. More people walking and cycling also means fewer cars, which improves the roads environment further, in a virtuous circle.

Where the disagreement arises on this issue is bypass now or bypass later.

It is my contention that a large proportion of car use is not "forced" at all. Pre-bypass TDM would test that assumption PDQ. My gut feeling is that a good chunk of opposition to pre-bypass TDM is based, not on a defeatist belief that there are no plausible alternatives but on the socio-economic objection that you can't expect people who own cars not to use them. That's politics imo, and as Lasswell said, politics is about who gets what, when and how.

Trying to 'fix' these issues by making cycling easier and driving more difficult is not just as dumb as pushing a rope, it is also not going to get political traction in any meaningful sense.

Where have a suggested this?

My point was that there was a long list of things you could do with little or no impact on current traffic, and my main suggestion of Dutch-style segratagated roundabouts makes driving easier.

Also a different planning system does not come close to stopping a junction design from being used -- lack of space does where that's an issue but as already said, it's not in many locations in Galway. There's even room for motor traffic lane segregation in some cases, but that's for people who want that to push.

Disruption would be offset by the benefits and disruption as an excuse is generally used when people are grasping as straws (Luas etc). My educated guess is lots of walkers and cyclists would support it on the bases of not having to cross such busy roundabouts in fear of their life, which motorists would be glad not to have to deal with such conflicts while driving around and many would support.

I walked and cycled to school as a child. As the years went by more people bought cars and more people drove. Same infrastructure and roads environment, different number of cars.

Totally different economic circumstances - which are being totally ignored. When I grew up in the 80s most of the employment in the county was not in Galway city. Since the 80s there has been a dramatic fall in the numbers of people working in the traditional rural industries, meaning that people are looking for manufacturing, services & professional jobs instead.

Galway has always been largely rural (still is) but now what we find are more and more places looking to ignore Tuam, Moycullen, Spiddal, Loughrea, Gort, Ballinasloe etc as viable bases and are looking increasingly to Galway City.

No matter what way we try to crunch numbers, the increase in jobs is going to keep drawing people from the county to jobs in the city, which will in turn more than outweigh and modal changes.
    My point was that there was a long list of things you could do with little or no impact on current traffic, and my main suggestion of Dutch-style segratagated roundabouts makes driving easier.

One basic problem with that, the ROTR that make them viable in the Netherlands are not used here. Unless we change that we can forget about it and changing the ROTR to suit that is about as bad an idea as changing the side of the road we drive on, both are an invitation to disaster.

I just have to repeat:

Regardless of the bypass going ahead or not, or being for or against it or not, the idea that nothing meaningful can be done for walking and cycling without a bypass is baseless. That kind of argument has me more interested in this debate than any reasoning for or against the bypass.

The idea that a bypass will allow for change elsewhere in the city also seems to be bassless.

• Advertisement

Totally different economic circumstances - which are being totally ignored.

I'm not ignoring it, but it's a red herring in terms of the school traffic that I referred to by way of example.

According to the survey done as part of the mayoral initiative on traffic and transportation, 55% of drivers doing the school run do not go on to work.

The main economic change in this regard is increased car ownership, which in the Irish "planning" context inexorably led to greater car use and car dependence.

My neighbours are in similar economic circumstances to me. A bunch of them drive 800 metres to the local school, while my child cycles 3 km. Trends in employment have no bearing on that.

It's an example of where the notion of people being "forced" to use their cars is exposed as a myth, imo.

I'm not ignoring it, but it's a red herring in terms of the school traffic that I referred to by way of example.

The school traffic is the red herring. It causes a problem because it clashes with people trying to get to work for 9am (which is a majority of those working) not because of numbers. If you were serious about it you'd suggest that schools started at 8am.

Regardless of the bypass going ahead or not, or being for or against it or not, the idea that nothing meaningful can be done for walking and cycling without a bypass is baseless. That kind of argument has me more interested in this debate than any reasoning for or against the bypass.

Funny but the only people I hear that from are anti-bypass protestors like yourself. Nobody on the pro-bypass side argues for bypass only or bypass first.

If anything I'd call the vast majority of the pro-bypass suggestions bypasss+

It's laughable that you think a "no bypass" future is sustainable for Galway and yet push a dutch model, which includes copious bypasses, but are in favour of demolishing buildings to make for mutli-stack junctions that are being rejected in other countries, for urban settings.
    The idea that a bypass will allow for change elsewhere in the city also seems to be bassless.

Save that straw, the farmers might need bedding again next year.

I don't propose to deal with all of the detail, but I think I can pull one comment out and work from there;
    My gut feeling is that a good chunk of opposition to pre-bypass TDM is based, not on a defeatist belief that there are no plausible alternatives but on the socio-economic objection that you can't expect people who own cars not to use them.

I agree entirely with your comment that car ownership does not necessarily equate to use (or should not, or must not), but cars are and remain the most important mode of transport for a great many people in Galway, (a dependence that is increasing). This happens for a reason, even if you and a great number of others don't like or happen to agree with those reasons. There is a world of a difference from the belief that people don't actually need to use their cars all the time to actually getting them out of them though (and the plural of anecdote is not data). The issue with 'TDM first' is that it will, by design, increase traffic congestion and journey times in order to push people into modes that they are less than enthused about right now (or they would be using them already). Congestion is a cost to the economy, national and regional, and encouraging it withour providing real options is not a runner, politically or otherwise. It simply won't work, and if you try it, the political reaction would unseat any political entity.

If you are to facilitate and encourage modal shift, you need a gradual, cohesive and comprehensive approach. TDM first is 'all stick', and won't work because a lot of people will chose to sit in their cars on the grounds that they have no other option. And the thing is, a great many people do not, by dint of where they live and where they work. It's all very well to suggest that 'anyone can cycle 5km to work', but what about people with several children, or those who have much longer journeys or the great many people who commute in from all over the county? Or those who are too old, or are unable for another medical reason? It might work for you and for me, but for a lot of people it won't.

Moreover, there is relatively little than can be done in a great many cases to significantly facilitate other modes that won't cause severe disruption. Multi-level junctions, even if you can find room and funds, require significant civil engineering works - far more than the junction redesign now in process - this would dramatically increase journey times during construction.

Also, I'm not suggesting that 'nothing' should be done until the GCOB is built, only that very significant works have to be held until after that point. There is space for some further work on bus lanes, and for better cycle lanes, but given the scale of the issue, getting large volumes of traffic off the streets is the key step on the critical path. Until then, the key metric should be preserving journey times by facilitating as much of a shift to cycling, walking and public transport as is possible in the present funding environment, and by bringing forward a coherent spatial plan for the entire city region for the period post GCOB. Also, to be fair, I don't think the cycling infrastructure in Galway is that bad (I cycle to work in Dublin but run and drive around Galway regularly). It could be a lot better, but I'd have no difficulty cycling in the city.

Lastly, the only reason I'm engaging in the debate is that there is genuine progress to be made here, and that while the entrenched positions taken by both sides have an element of logic to them, there is a middle ground to be won. The question that we should be engaging with here (and elsewhere) is around what people think Galway should look like in 10 and 20 years time, on the basis of factual information and in a somewhat polite way. Not perpetuating a debate premised on all sides as 'tweedy hipster eco-mentalist cyclists' vs 'lard assed petrolheads'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm most interested in this point. Could you elaborate on it some more? Taken at face value you mean that the bypass will change nothing else in the city at large? I presume you meant something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭SeanW

No, it's not the only way. There's loads of things that can be done in Galway before thinking for removing any or much traffic. There's a long list of things you could do before thinking of removing much in the way of current traffic lanes / current car capacity.

Many of the things you could do -- like Dutch-style fully segregated roundabouts -- would be good for all road users:
    Thanks for that post - I have no doubt that the RABs you've shown here are indeed good for all users and inherently a good idea.

But that does not, as I see it, have much to do with the problems in Galway, or more specifically the problems that the bypass is meant to solve.

From where I see it, the bypass has two main benefits.
    1. It facilitates East-West traffic not involving Galway City on a form of road appropriate for long distance, high speed traffic, the profile applicable to the traffic it is designed to serve. (e.g. Barna-Oranmore, Spiddal and suchlike points towards the East (Athlone, Clare, Dublin etc)
    2. It would benefit the city's tourism trade by making Salthill (with its promenade, leisure complex and group of casinos) dramatically more accessible by providing tourists and daytrippers from the Midlands and West with a route less dependent on choked city streets such as this. I hope we all agree that this would be a win-win.
    I consider yourself and Iwannahurl to be on the same page on the matter of the bypass, though to your credit you appear much more reasonable.

But it seems to me that the bypass will have one set of benefits, and the two of you - much more so in IWHs case - are trying to solve different problems.

There is no question that the RAB design in your video would be radically better for cyclists and indeed all those who have to use the current route. But between yourself and IWH there appears to be significant, fundamental disagreement as to the suitability of the existing road for long distance, high speed traffic. Like this part, while it only has a single access for a housing estate on a 1 mile or so stretch between major junctions, IWH seems to consider the whole thing a city street that should have slower traffic on that basis.

That means that either: that stretch is suitable for large volumes of high speed long distance traffic, in which case IWHs complaint can be ignored, OR it's more of a city street, not suitable for high volume, high speed, long distance traffic and traffic of this kind should be rerouted.

Additionally, on the topic of the bypass IWH appears to take the view that the answer is to take away road space from motor traffic, have an iron-fist clampdown on speeding, a reduction in speed limits, a reduction in parking and an iron-fist clampdown on illegal parking. Along with more charges, more taxes, more regulations on motorists etc which TBH is that posters stock answer to any problem regardless of circumstance or cause. Iwannahurl also appears to think that a "bypass first" approach, where the bypass is built first then the city is made more cycle and pedestrian friendly based on the traffic being gone, is deeply unreasonable because it's too motorist centric. Or something.

And I am struggling to see what any of what you or IWH has to say has to do with the bypass and the benefits it would bring. At best, you are dealing with problems that overlap somewhat. At worst, Iwannahurl just seems to be waffling and trying to present an extreme anti-car agenda as a replacement for the bypass. Which IMO it can never be.

The school traffic is the red herring. It causes a problem because it clashes with people trying to get to work for 9am (which is a majority of those working) not because of numbers. If you were serious about it you'd suggest that schools started at 8am.

TDM measures aimed at schools is one possible approach among many.

http://www.mrsc.org/subjects/transpo/tdm.aspx
    http://www.uctc.net/papers/086.pdf
    http://depts.washington.edu/trac/bulkdisk/pdf/685.1.pdf

It's absurd to try to claim that a major source of traffic congestion within the city is a red herring.

The whole point is that in the summer months, when tourist influx is at its peak but when primary, secondary and tertiary students are off, traffic flows better both within and -- crucially -- through the city.

You have made the point repeatedly that all traffic must flow through a certain triangular area across the river.

I have countered by saying that the same bottlenecks/pinch points do not result in acute congestion when traffic volume is reduced at certain times of the year. It is a truism in traffic engineering that 90% of the existing roads network is uncongested 90% of the time, therefore acute congestion is not due to the roads network as is but to the extreme (and unmanaged) demands placed on it at peak times.

I have also referred to independent sources showing that relatively small reductions in traffic volume can result in significant shifts in Level of Service.

Do you accept those basic principles? If not, can you point to any independent sources that explain where they're wrong?

Funny but the only people I hear that from are anti-bypass protestors like yourself. Nobody on the pro-bypass side argues for bypass only or bypass first.

Is that true?

I've seen several posts on Boards where GCOB advocates have stated that only after a bypass has been built can serious attempts be made to introduce TDM measures, as exemplified by a higher LOS for public transport, walking and cycling.

Are these comments not in support of a bypass-first position?
    The issue with 'TDM first' is that it will, by design, increase traffic congestion and journey times in order to push people into modes that they are less than enthused about right now (or they would be using them already). Congestion is a cost to the economy, national and regional, and encouraging it withour providing real options is not a runner, politically or otherwise. It simply won't work, and if you try it, the political reaction would unseat any political entity.

Right now, there simply isn't room to properly accomodate cyclists (and pedestrians) and still get traffic through the city.

MYOB wrote: »
    You can't give us any evidence of a tdm sorting issues anywhere like Galway, entirily because no similar city would waste money on it without a bypass first

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭SeanW

I don't know if I am still on your pathetic "Ignore" list but I'll give it a bash anyway.
    It's absurd to try to claim that a major source of traffic congestion within the city is a red herring.
    It is a red herring since the problems relate to traffic that have no business within the city, or at least not the parts of the city in question.
    You have made the point repeatedly that all traffic must flow through a certain triangular area across the river.
    Yes. And the logic for the bypass must clearly be that this traffic has no business in that triangular area across the river.
    I have countered by saying that the same bottlenecks/pinch points do not result in acute congestion when traffic volume is reduced at certain times of the year.
    Less volume = less congestion ... Wow, that a revelation :rolleyes:
    Do you accept those basic principles? If not, can you point to any independent sources that explain where they're wrong?

The video claims, with regard to the rice-through-a-funnel problem, that spacing demand would make the whole thing flow faster - though I know you don't like speed on city streets. But where it falls flat is on two points.
    1. In Galways' case, it's reasonable to add a second "funnel" because the "rice" (cars) are heading for different "beakers" (destinations). I.E. Galway City East and Centre versus Galway City West and Western County.
    2. Your solution is to put an obstruction on the existing "funnel" and expect all the "rice" (cars) to get through faster. That's not logical.
    Is that true?

I've seen several posts on Boards where GCOB advocates have stated that only after a bypass has been built can serious attempts be made to introduce TDM measures, as exemplified by a higher LOS for public transport, walking and cycling.

Are these comments not in support of a bypass-first position?
    The problem with your counter is that I believe that your position is guided by a "modal shift only" position, whereas on the other side, bypass advocates take a more reasonable position.

To be specific, I allege:
    1. Your position is guided exclusively by motorist bashing.
    2. You are - at best - trying to solve one problem (East-West traffic and tourist traffic not involving Eastern Galway city) by applying solutions to another problem that not only will not help the first, it will be actively counterproductive by design.
    3. You appear to find reasonable comments disagreeable, such as:
      Right now, there simply isn't room to properly accomodate cyclists (and pedestrians) and still get traffic through the city.
      The OP was not saying "don't accomodate cyclists and pedestrians," instead he was saying that there is no room to do that and not cause traffic chaos in the process.
      If you disagree, you do so without apparent cause.
    4. Being somewhat less generous for a moment, I specifically believe that you have no ideas for anything whatsoever that do not involve creating problems for motorists. And that this comes from an anti-motorist, extreme environmental-left position.

• Advertisement

The whole point is that in the summer months, when tourist influx is at its peak but when primary, secondary and tertiary students are off, traffic flows better both within and -- crucially -- through the city.

It's a red herring because if there was an ounce of truth to it the evening rush should be orders of magnitude lighter, seeing as how it starts after the school run finishes..

It's not, if anything the evening rush is longer and more severe than the morning rush, but hey lets ignore the fact that the schools have almost no effect on this.

Advertisement