Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*SCAM - fella got jumped viewing this car at Red Cow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That forum requires login.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

sorry didn't realise that
    copy and pasted

Just putting this up here to let people know and also to see if anybody knows the car or people. The reg of the car is 01 wx 5101.

Heres what happened anyway - went to view this car for my sister tonight http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4820727
    I met your man at the red cow hotel. From what I know they are from Walkinstown. When I arrived there was another Blue 5 series BMW 00-02 Model across from us with a lad sitting in it, I presumed this was your mans lift had I taken the car with me. I proceeded to look at the car anyway and he was very edgy the whole time which I thought was a bit odd. I then asked to take the car for a drive and at first he wanted to drive and let me drive back but I said no I will drive it. When we got back your man was a bit strange to which I concluded he was strung out, could barely string his words together and was touching and looking at stuff oddly. I said I wasn't interested and then he flipped out. The other lad got out of the bmw then and then he started swinging for me. I dodged a couple and then he caught me with 2 and burst me open, nose mouth etc. and front tooth is farely loose (hopefully I don;t lose it. Managed to get my sister into the car and lock the doors then and I managed to run off then. Was well organised, the BMW had arrived half hour before the peugeot and on approach the peugeot flashed/signalled to the BMW, they knew the blind spots of the cameras in the car park and which roads to take with no cameras etc.

Anyway if anybody could provide any info on the car or people would really appreciate it and also to let people know beware the next time you are going to look at a car bring someone else with you, apparently its happening a lot now.

Thankfully they didn't get the money

Thanks in advance for any input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I take it the Gardai are informed and have been give soft copies of the advert?
    Donedeal can also provide info if need be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

That's desparate!

But I am a little confused - what was the purpose of the "jump". Was it to rob the fella of cash he had brought with him to buy the car?
    Or was it just to have a fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭scrap_man

He has been onto the guards, hes waiting to here back from them. donedeal has also been notified, maybe thats why the original ad is marked sold and they made a new ad.

Yes they were trying to take the money they brought with them, but he managed to lock his sister and the cash into the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Same car is also here: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4815191
    and here: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4561694

Mileage is different on the OP's link so the car has also been clocked....

Let the prank calls begin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Convenient, the ad in the OP's original post is sold.... :rolleyes:

OP thank's for sharing this story with us, a real eye opener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Thanks for sharing OP, would hardly have believed it if I hadn't read it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Is this the new way of robbing people? there is some scum out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Was the first batch of photos taken in Liffey valley car park? Might have cameras if so? Sorry to hear op, hope you catch the scumbags!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

This is why no one should EVER buy or sell cars in Car Parks etc.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Terrible thing to happen, I suppose a bit of advice is to always ask them to meet you where cameras are for security for both parties, if they don't agree, don't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't get this at all, guy goes to sell a car with reg fully visible, lad comes to buy and he is jumped yet there's no indication buyer has more than a brass farthing on him and seller is fully identifiable from reg plate, whole tale doesn't make any logical sense at all to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Don't get this at all, guy goes to sell a car with reg fully visible, lad comes to buy and he is jumped yet there's no indication buyer has more than a brass farthing on him and seller is fully identifiable from reg plate, whole tale doesn't make any logical sense at all to me.

Reg might be fake, car might be stolen, or those guys are simply just dumbs, like 95% of those doing this kind of crap.
    Like posting a video on Youtube/Facebook/Twitter of their criminal action.

I use to go to high school with a fella that decided to rob a bank with his very own Renault 5 once he turned 18. He put toilet paper on the reg to hide the digits, when he flew the bank, the paper went airborne and that's how they got him since someone took down the number. Those guys are just thick, that's how they got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Any way of checking if that reg is legit ? Could be the Peugeot is stolen and/or on false plates ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Duiske wrote: »
    Any way of checking if that reg is legit ? Could be the Peugeot is stolen and/or on false plates ?

Could be but if I was doing it with a stolen car I would do it with something more pricey than a 1.1 litre 206 worth about €1k, too much risk for 5 weeks worth of dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

No its a prefect scam as small cars sell quick and at that price chances are they will have close to the asking price on them in cash. So be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

I agree there's something very strange... The initial ad is very well spelled and doesn't want text messages etc... It seems unlikely a junkie or scumbag put it together. Particularly for as small a return as 1400 euro.

The other done deal ads look more ropey however so I'm guessing the Peugeot was nicked or something... Am confused...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Duiske wrote: »

well its a Peugeot 206 alright according to the reg, surely those guys aren't that brainless??
    doesn't make sense at all at all

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

As an aside, I would not be inclined to ring or contact any ad where they can't be forthcoming enough to put their first name down as the seller, that made up sh1te such as "Peugeot" or "seller" etc just puts me off straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

find it odd that you would take up the opportunity to go for a test drive with a drug addict beside you in the car, I probably would have walked away after initial viewing of the potential sellers

Having said that, at least the op is fine after that incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Same car is also here: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4815191
    and here: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4561694

Mileage is different on the OP's link so the car has also been clocked....

Let the prank calls begin :pac:

I'm probably missing something, but the two ads you've posted seem to be legitimate ads from the same person with the price lowered from 1450 to 1100 over the course of a month, hardly unusual. Could be that the car was sold by / robbed from this seller to the alleged scumbags.

The offending ad is also remarkably well-written for a junkie / scumbag to have produced and the reg details have been blocked out very precisely in the pictures, even on the tax and insurance discs.

Another thing I don't get is how the guy knew the beemer arrived half an hour before the 206 - did he review the Red Cow's CCTV afterwards? Doesn't tally with what he's saying about the lads taking the back roads / using blind spots with no CCTV etc. Not too many back roads on the approach to and from the Red Cow either.

If there was CCTV, assuming the car wasn't stolen, shouldn't be too hard to track these lads down, leading me to wonder why two lads would take a fairly significant risk for (only potentially) €600 apiece, in what generally tends to be a fairly busy car park.

I apologise in advance if this is (and it may be) a true story, and I don't doubt this kind of thing happens, just seems odd to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

MidlandsM wrote: »
    This is why no one should EVER buy or sell cars in Car Parks etc.........

Too true. I'll never forget the story I read on here before of a guy whose almost new Polo was stolen. I think the guards called him about it a couple of months later and some girl had given a lad €10,000 cash for it in a car park :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

dgt wrote: »

It's strange the way all pics of this car are in different places. First one in Liffey Valley, second I'm almost certain is Palmerstown and then on adverts it says location is rathnew.

dgt wrote: »
    It's on Adverts too

Edit: Ownership not changed in last 3 months

That adverts seller genuinely seems legit as well. They're hardly scamming someone out of €20 for the baby clothes in their ad :confused: What's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

He locked his sister in the car with the cash and ran off. Do I have that right? What a hero.

Advertisement