Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YOUR LIONS 2013 PICKS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The six nations has been a virtually unmitigated disaster from an Irish point of view so far. Kearney has been overshadowed not only by Halfpenny but by Hogg and even Goode, Sexton has got injured just as Farrell started mounting a serious challenge for the 10 jersey, Bowe misses the entire tournament, Zebo is finished and Gilroy hasn't had a chance to run yet, Healy got himself suspended, O'Connell won't see a minute of action and Heaslip, after a solid opening match, had one of the worst games of his life.. Rory Best is the only player whose reputation and body are still intact.

Indeed, and a great 1 so far for the English. They'll probably have the captain and over 50% of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The six nations has been a virtually unmitigated disaster from an Irish point of view so far. Kearney has been overshadowed not only by Halfpenny but by Hogg and even Goode, Sexton has got injured just as Farrell started mounting a serious challenge for the 10 jersey, Bowe misses the entire tournament, Zebo is finished and Gilroy hasn't had a chance to run yet, Healy got himself suspended, O'Connell won't see a minute of action and Heaslip, after a solid opening match, had one of the worst games of his life.. Rory Best is the only player whose reputation and body are still intact.

SOB stood out in both games. The Ireland-England game was billed as Robshaw v O'Brien, but they could well end up starting in the same backrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

On the flip side two you would hace said didnt have a prayer twekve months ago, POM and Donnacha Ryan, should travel.

There is and even worse but not unrealistic doomsday scenario of all our starters in the first 09 test not even making the plane this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Don't forget Ferris! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There is and even worse but not unrealistic doomsday scenario of all our starters in the first 09 test not even making the plane this time.

If you look at those who started the second test:
    • POC - injured, doubtful if he has time to prove fitness. Murmurs in media he may not make himself available anyway.
    • Wallace - retired
    • Heaslip - should tour
    • Brian O'Driscoll - should tour
    • Fitzgerald - Can't make Ireland team, won't tour
    • Bowe - injured, doubtful if he has time to prove fitness.
    • Kearney - a definite 12 months ago, not so now. Needs to perform in last three Six Nations games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

I think BOD has come through reputation and body unscathed so far. Same with SOB. Conor Murray's also putting his hand up for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I still think that Healy will make the team. Same with Sexton. Going to be difficult for Heaslip to tour. Kearney will def not make starting 15. SOB will also start.

Irish players to start:
    Healy
    Best
    SOB
    Sexton
    BOD

(emm it does seem alot - that's 1/3 of the test team)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On the flip side two you would hace said didnt have a prayer twekve months ago, POM and Donnacha Ryan, should travel.

Far from certain that both those will go. There is a ton of better known competition in the backrow for POM and while Ryan has been decent he's hardly stood out. I think Ryan has a better chance of going just because there is a bit less competition in the second-row.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think BOD has come through reputation and body unscathed so far. Same with SOB. Conor Murray's also putting his hand up for selection.

Fingers crossed BOD tape-and-staples body holds up a few more months! I reckon Laidlaw has done as much as Murray so far. SOB is in a competitive position so hopefully he does make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

#
    Agree about BOD and SOB but Murray hasn't a snowball in Hell's chance. He is a very average player. Youngs and Care are far better players as is Laidlaw. Phillips is also almost a cert to go although he isn't playing well but what he does is better than Murray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jacothelad wrote: »
    #
    Agree about BOD and SOB but Murray hasn't a snowball in Hell's chance. He is a very average player. Youngs and Care are far better players as is Laidlaw. Phillips is also almost a cert to go although he isn't playing well but what he does is better than Murray.

Murray has been actually decent enough this year, but Youngs and Care are streets ahead of the pack IMO. I wouldn't rule out Laidlaw for the third spot tbh.

I can't imagine Phillips being the type to accept being in the midweek team. I've no real basis for thinking that so probably very unfair but I just don't see him as much of a "bringing the squad together" guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

SOB's still up in the air for me, right now he's the best 20 available, covers just about everywhere, even hooker! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

The selection of players will now come down to the remaining matches.Everybody agrees that England/Wales will have the greatest number of places in the squad so this match between Scoland/Ireland will determine any close calls between them.I dont believe that BOD will be a first choice test player and If that is made known to him he may decide to stay at home with the new kid and retire[Beckhamesk].

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No one who tours is going to be told they won't be a first choice test player. While I don't doubt Gatland will have a first XV in mind, once you're on that plane you have every chance of breaking into the test team for any of a myriad of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭LostArt

sting60 wrote: »
    The selection of players will now come down to the remaining matches.Everybody agrees that England/Wales will have the greatest number of places in the squad so this match between Scoland/Ireland will determine any close calls between them.I dont believe that BOD will be a first choice test player and If that is made known to him he may decide to stay at home with the new kid and retire[Beckhamesk].

Who would you have as first choice 13?
    If BOD is fit he's nailed on to start the first test imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

LostArt wrote: »

i dunno, i could see gatland going roberts/davies or tualagi/davies even though Drico gave davies a right schooling in how to play OC.

that said the warm up games will have a huge say on the test team.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Fez101

twinytwo wrote: »
    i dunno, i could see gatland going roberts/davies or tualagi/davies even though Drico gave davies a right schooling in how to play OC.

Yeah I'm not sure either, he'll certainly tour, but big battle with Tualagi ahead, plus if Ireland play badly in the next 3 games and England Slam it, it's going to be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

twinytwo wrote: »

This here is crucial. It's impossible at this stage to speculate who's up for it and who will dip in form. Some players that you won't expect might fit straight into a lions team and unbelievable partnerships might form.

The warm up games will be the big decider in the Sexton / Farrell debate. I know most people here have Sexton nailed down for a test spot but if Farrell keeps up his form for the warm up games he'll put big pressure on Sexton. Let's be honest Sexton doesn't perform for country as good as he does for club (might be a Kidney thing but we'll see).

Would love to see BOD get one more chance. The thing about BOD is that he'll most certinely play well if he's not injuried. Most of the cases where BOD dips in form is usually because of some sort of niggle. Tualagi / BOD would be great to watch. Young / Old / Bosher / Skillful combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

LostArt wrote: »

Concur, if BOD is one hundred percent, he starts and it's not close imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Will Tuilagi get enough game time between now and then? As long as Twelvetrees and Barritt are doing the business I don't expect Lancaster to start him.

edit: jsut saw Thomond's post in the 6N thread saying Tuilagi will start against France. Hopefully Bastareaud will also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 PaddyQ90

This could be a physically very big lions team coming down on OZ!

Can't wait, I have a very good feeling about this summer, it is sad how many Irish fans will be there

Will Tuilagi get enough game time between now and then? As long as Twelvetrees and Barritt are doing the business I don't expect Lancaster to start him.

edit: jsut saw Thomond's post in the 6N thread saying Tuilagi will start against France. Hopefully Bastareaud will also.

wonder what would happen if the two of them ran full belt into each other...

PaddyQ90 wrote: »
    This could be a physically very big lions team coming down on OZ!

Can't wait, I have a very good feeling about this summer, it is sad how many Irish fans will be there

If gatland picks the right team, the lions could be in for a complete rout of the aussies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I came up with this team yesterday, no doubt I'll change my mind after this weekend.

15 Leigh Halfpenny
    14 Stuart Hogg
    13 Brian O'Driscoll
    12 Manu Tuilagi
    11 George North
    10 Jonathan Sexton
    9 Ben Youngs
    1 Cian Healy
    2 Rory Best
    3 Dan Cole
    4 George Parling
    5 Joe Launchbury
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 Chris Robshaw
    8 Johnny Beattie

The back row is next to impossible to pick, two weeks ago I wouldn't have had Robshaw or Beattie in it and my guess is that after Sunday I'll not have Beattie in it anymore. It would be great if Lydiate or Ferris came back and hit form and then one of those guys would slot into 6. Is SOB better at 6 or 7 now? I used to think he was a better 6, I'm not sure anymore. Then again I tend to think SOB is too good to leave out.

I know Hogg is playing 15 for Scotland but there aren't many outstanding wings putting their hands up and Hogg is on fire for Scotland, I think he'd do some damage in that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

bilston wrote: »
    I came up with this team yesterday, no doubt I'll change my mind after this weekend.

15 Leigh Halfpenny
    14 Stuart Hogg
    13 Brian O'Driscoll
    12 Manu Tuilagi
    11 George North
    10 Jonathan Sexton
    9 Ben Youngs
    1 Cian Healy
    2 Rory Best
    3 Dan Cole
    4 George Parling
    5 Joe Launchbury
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 Chris Robshaw
    8 Johnny Beattie

The back row is next to impossible to pick, two weeks ago I wouldn't have had Robshaw or Beattie in it and my guess is that after Sunday I'll not have Beattie in it anymore. It would be great if Lydiate or Ferris came back and hit form and then one of those guys would slot into 6. Is SOB better at 6 or 7 now? I used to think he was a better 6, I'm not sure anymore. Then again I tend to think SOB is too good to leave out.

I know Hogg is playing 15 for Scotland but there aren't many outstanding wings putting their hands up and Hogg is on fire for Scotland, I think he'd do some damage in that team.

I'd have Ashton on the wing instead of Hogg, even though he's a tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

15 Leigh Halfpenny
    14 Stuart Hogg
    13 Brian O'Driscoll
    12 Manu Tuilagi
    11 George North
    10 Jonathan Sexton
    9 Ben Youngs
    1 Cian Healy
    2 Rory Best
    3 Dan Cole
    4 George Parling
    5 Joe Launchbury
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 Chris Robshaw
    8 Johnny Beattie

I'd have Hines in the row and Ferris(Even if he's only half fit) in the back row. Not sure at who's expense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Swap Hogg with Halfpenny and the back 3 makes more sense. Decent team, I'd be close to picking that too. Probably would have Davies at 12 tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

15 Leigh Halfpenny
    14 Stuart Hogg
    13 Brian O'Driscoll
    12 Manu Tuilagi
    11 George North
    10 Jonathan Sexton
    9 Ben Youngs
    1 Cian Healy
    2 Rory Best
    3 Dan Cole
    4 George Parling
    5 Joe Launchbury
    6 Sean O'Brien
    7 Chris Robshaw
    8 Johnny Beattie

Beattie has been a revelation since he went to Montpellier. He's slotted in well, his game has come on leaps & bounds & he's a major part of their HC success this season. New Scottish management is agreeing with him too. Think he's on the plane to Oz as it stands, a big performance against the Welsh & he could make the 8 jersey his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lelantos wrote: »
    Beattie has been a revelation since he went to Montpellier. He's slotted in well, his game has come on leaps & bounds & he's a major part of their HC success this season. New Scottish management is agreeing with him too. Think he's on the plane to Oz as it stands, a big performance against the Welsh & he could make the 8 jersey his own.

I don't think Monty will make the Top14 final so I don't think they'll be any release issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I don't think Monty will make the Top14 final so I don't think they'll be any release issues.
    No chance of them getting to the final, oo far behind the top 3. But its tight between 4th & 7th only 4 points separating them. Could be very interesting. Montpelier @ 5. Bernard Jackman's Grenoble & then Racing Metro. Sexton could very well not have HC rugby next year at this rate.

Advertisement