Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axa.ie - last year €350, this year €530.

Options
  • 15-02-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Axa just sent me a mail that it's time to renew my insurance. Sound.

"Dear biko,
    Thank you for insuring your car with us over the past year.
    Your car insurance is due for renewal on .
    Your renewal for this year is €535.23 - this includes a special 10% online discount."

Whut? I paid less that 350 last year.
    For the craic I went to their homepage and got a brand new quote, even put my real registration in. Came back with €337.00.

Seems it's cheaper for me to become a new customer with Axa than remain an old customer.

To be sure I logged in to my Axa page and sure enough "You have a balance outstanding of €535.23 due on this policy To pay online click here"

Thanks, but no thanks...:mad:

Comments

The tactics used by insurance companies are based on the presumption people are numpties or else they themselves are numpties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I was with Axa for 6 years and used to have the same battle with them every year! Drove me mad so I left them. Went via a broker called Britton Insurance in Donegal and have never looked back. Never have to battle my prices since and this year my premium stayed the same as previous years (around €290 fully comp with me abs my husband on my car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Please hold while we review your quote sir....

513px-wheel_of_fortune_-_season_26_-_round_4.svg.png

WHIRRRRRRR-tik-tik-tik---tik----tik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

funnily enough I was quoted €823 on my renewal this year with RSA and AXA came in by far the cheapest at 569 (named driver with EU licence drove up my price)..I think they are all crazy....Chill quoted 1300 and a lot of rest wouldnt quote as named driver not living in ireland for at least 3 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

biko wrote: »

Whut? I paid less that 350 last year.
    For the craic I went to their homepage and got a brand new quote, even put my real registration in. Came back with €337.00.

You're either very old or drive something very boring. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I change company ever year almost. You will nearly always get a better deal as a new Costomer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I had the same thing with chill at the end of last year and with aviva a few years ago.

Went with Allianz this year who were by far the best quote/policy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm going to make a reply that's a break from the norm seeing as these come up and it's always the same advice.

My advice is that you pay it! See how it works out and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're either very old or drive something very boring. :pac:
    I'm no spring chicken but a BMW320i isn't very boring.

An angry call to them got me down to 450. Still not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

An angry call to them got me down to 450. Still not good enough.

I don't understand how after getting a quite as a new customer thats cheaper then your renewal one, how they can't match the new customer quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

123.ie do this to me every year. I pay about €300 annually and they usually send a renewal requesting €450-€500. I ring them telling them I can get insurance elsewhere for €280 and they always drop it back down to €300. It has turned into a habit by this stage. Every August I have made the same call for the last 4 years.

As RoverJames said, not everyone is going to bother making that call, so increasing everyone's premium in the hope they just pay, is netting them a lot of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Axa did the same to me last year. They then went onto tell me that because 'I was a loyal customer, building up fives consecutive years with them, I was entitled to drive another car and be covered fully comp, even a Bentley. You won't get that anywhere else'. I told her to go ta fook!

Needless to say, I got a cracking quote with Aon Insure, and am with Aviva now, through them. This year I'll be shopping around again. Fook this loyalty crap

Insurance companies are chancers. In saying that, I know several people, out of pure laziness, automatically renew every year, without shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

As has been said above, in my experience some companies attempt to get you in by offering discounted pricing to new customers, and relying on inertia to stop people moving around year after year. The missus and I are both with Aviva since last year but we'll be shopping around if they start to play silly buggers between their renewal quotes and what I can get on their website as a "new" customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

My insurance went up this year so I rang around and got the cheapest deal from the AA - chill, 123, and others couldn't match their price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had a similar experience with AXA. ~450 for previous year and suddently jumped to over 900 at renewal. No real reason given, "everyones premium is going up". :rolleyes:

Got a few quotes here and there but AIG Direct gave me a quote for €314, happy days :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm with AA, I always ring around and get quotes elsewhere then ask them to match it, they do too. I think they were cheaper than even 123.ie last time

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Allianz did the same to me. Having been with them for 6 years and having my wife's car and house also insured with them, last month the quote (for a VW Passat 1.6) went up from €370 last year to €520 this year. Their excuse: my wife's car (a 1.4 Toyota Corolla) is in a higher bracket than mine and so I was not entitled to spousal discount :confused:

Anyhow, I went playing the annual "game" with the insurance companies yielded a result; I switched and got insured for €150 cheaper, which meant this year's insurance is cheaper than last year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Have this problem with AXA every year, i ring up and say i have been offered a better quote elsewhere unless you can offer same as last year or better i will be changing companies.
    Always get a discount here and there and also last year they had motor rescue down as 50 odd euro despite been told that this is free on my policy, probably hoping I wouldnt notice!!!

Anyway got a discount by adding my partner to my policy and have a lifetime NCB with them now as with them over ten years, always end up getting it down to what i paid last year or under. They are chancers like all other insurance companies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Im with axa too, and my renewal went from €1170 last yr down to €1120. First call brought it down to €970. Ended up paying €670 . So it pays to keep at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Eireann81 wrote: »
    123.ie do this to me every year. I pay about €300 annually and they usually send a renewal requesting €450-€500. I ring them telling them I can get insurance elsewhere for €280 and they always drop it back down to €300. It has turned into a habit by this stage. Every August I have made the same call for the last 4 years.

Strange, I've been with 123 for the last 4 years and they have routinely come down by roughly 10-20% year on year. Maybe that's because I'm at the 'sweet spot' age category in insurance terms, in that I was 26 when I joined and now 30. I have shopped around every time quite a bit, and their renewal quote came in cheaper than almost every other new customer quote I got elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

the exact same happened now with Libertiy Insurance.
    already found a quote from axa which is half the price Liberty wants to charge me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Got a few quotes here and there but AIG Direct gave me a quote for just over €300, happy days :)

My husband and i are with aviva, last quote i got was €450 ish last years quote was €350.

i signed up online for a new quote, and got €340, so i rang them and told them i wanted to proceed with the new quote rather than renew, the girl on the phone then asked if i wanted my discounts from my old policy applied so i said yes please, got it for €300 in the end.

what was the discount? i took my daughter in with me to give them documents when i was first joining them 3 years ago i by chance got the manager in the office who applied a 'discretionary discount' because my daughter was so cute, and i've been getting it since making them lower than the others when you include NCB and other discounts (i also added my husband fully comp on my policy to lower the premium)

so to be honest i believe they have a lot more room to reduce then they let on,

my husband did the same thing (he hasn't got the discretionary discount though) his new quote was 100euro cheaper than his renewal so he asked them to go with that policy application number and transfer his details and discounts over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Unfortunately for me I don't even need to bother with calling around.
    Liberty insurance is the best I can get, any other company I just mention Subaru wrx and they all go in to spasm attack "it's fecking rally car lad, are you mad? No way we will give you insurance".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

123.ie did this to me this year with both the house and car. Went online with 123 to get quotes on both and they came in lower than quote by 100 on the house and more on the car. Bought the house insurance from them but move the car, as I got a similar quote from FBD and seeing as I have had to ring them 3 times last year to add someone for a week and change the car over twice to another car it wound up costing 120 euro ,so not cheaper in the long run for me, as I will possibly be changing the car again this year so off to FBD I go. Told them as much on the phone when the rang back, also gave an ear full about the initial quotes not that the guy on the other end can do anything about it but I was in the mood to bit*h.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

123.ie

Last year €540 (2 yr ncb)
    This year quote: €720 (3 yr ncb)

Went on line, created a quote on my deailts which came back on €480.

Called 123.ie and asked how they came to the 720 quote.
    Usually rabble about insurance tax that had gone up and stuff like that. Then gave them my on line quote and told them if they wanted me to stay, that would be the amount i was going to pay.

I am still with them and paid 480.

It is a bit of a pain that this is needed but just challenge any quote you get is what i learned from that. Even if they dont look ridiculous at first sight

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Whilst shopping around, most were €325 ish, Axa were €550! Cya!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

I just had a similar experience with AXA....

My insurance was 475 EUR last year, I received a renewal letter about 10-14 days ago and it stated my insurance was going to be 500 EUR this year, not a huge increase but still a increase

I received a follow up call from AXA yesterday asking if I was going to renew. I wasn't sure until they agreed to give it to me for 345 EUR (Fully comp, NCB protection & breakdown assistance) :D

So hold out until they call you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

No Nonsense are always the cheapest for me. €240 this year.

Advertisement