Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade for FarCry 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's definatly a graphics card bottleneck.
    I'm never sure what people mean when they say max settings.
    Do you mean everything on high and AAx8?

Many people don't take anti aliasing into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

tuxy wrote: »
    It's definatly a graphics card bottleneck.
    I'm never sure what people mean when they say max settings.
    Do you mean everything on high and AAx8?

Yes, everything on High. Some settings have Ultra High options also. And yes AA at max (X8).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im running it @ 1920X1200 with my MSI GTX660TI Twin Frozr and getting 80-200 fps on ultra settings everything maxed out everything meaning AAX8 ofcourse,looks absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

My lowly Phenom II is bottlenecking me :( my frames vary from 15 - 60, generally less than 40. Gotta get me an i5 this Christmas to back up my 7950! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Dcully wrote: »
    Im running it @ 1920X1200 with my MSI GTX660TI Twin Frozr and getting 80-200 fps on ultra settings everything maxed out everything meaning AAX8 ofcourse,looks absolutely stunning.

ok, looking at a few of those cards on HWV. All kinda bellow 310 quid which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Have a look at the Royal King 7950. Can be overclocked like crazy. Review here

What's going on with this benchmark then?

Settings
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,4.html

Benchmark
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,6.html

You are getting over twice the performance of a GTX 680 AAx2 at that res

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Settings
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,4.html

Benchmark
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics_performance_review_benchmark,6.html

Could be down to quality settings being forced through the NVidia control panel.

on a side note..
    That horrible feeling when your graphics card isn't used for benchmarking new games anymore :(..poor 6870

papu wrote: »
    Could be down to quality settings being forced through the NVidia control panel.

on a side note..
    That horrible feeling when your graphics card isn't used for benchmarking new games anymore :(..poor 6870

I don't think so, they claimed to use the in game menu. And I don't see how forced nvidia settings would make a 680 get half the performance of a 660 ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I don't think so, they claimed to use the in game menu. And I don't see how forced nvidia settings would make a 680 get half the performance of a 660 ti.

I was looking at it the other way round.
    I thought it could be performance emphasized image settings on the 660 rather than letting the application decide. It can actually make quite a difference. Forcing things like AA off on a driver level.

• Advertisement

Settings
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,4.html

Benchmark
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,6.html

Ive no reason to lie mate.

I did mean to say 50-200 fps, up to 200 indoors ofcourse but never drops below 50 even in large fights.
    My CPU is running @ 4.4 ghz so i assume that helping too :)

Regarding nvidia control panel i always let the application decide.

Heres some screenshots i took just now captured with fraps and showing fps in top left corner.

farcry3_2012_12_01_15_02_21_59.png

farcry3_2012_12_01_15_02_54_44.png

farcry3_2012_12_01_15_03_56_63.png

Ive no reason to lie mate.

Of course, I'm just trying to figure out the discrepancy.

Not sure it makes a big difference but are you running the dx9 exe or the dx11 one?

Of course, I'm just trying to figure out the discrepancy.

Not sure it makes a big difference but are you running the dx9 exe or the dx11 one?

dx 11 ofcourse mate :)

What fps do you get in dx9 then?

This poster seems to think there is a big difference.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82025929&postcount=294

Just checked dx9 there and there was no difference at all, same fps as the screenies above in the exact same place ingame.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dcully can I see a screenshot of your far cry 3 video settings please

Headshot wrote: »
    Dcully can I see a screenshot of your far cry 3 video settings please

Didn't he post that already?

Didn't he post that already?

No

Ok, so you don't want to see his in game video quality settings, what settings are you looking for exactly?

Ok, so you don't want to see his in game video quality settings, what settings are you looking for exactly?

You see his pic? The video settings, not the video quality but the video settings....

• Advertisement

You see his pic? The video settings, not the video quality but the video settings....

Oh your mean video in options, ok you should have said. There is no menu called settings.

Oh your mean video in options, ok you should have said. There is no menu called settings.
    Your being very pedantic. My post was obvious since he already did a screen shot of the video quality

Next time ill just incl his image and make life easy for people.

Your being very pedantic. My post was obvious since he already did a screen shot of the video quality

Next time ill just incl his image and make life easy for people.

You're :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

You ;)

drats! :P

If you really want a specific option shown from a menu just ask for the one you want by name especially when many option have similar names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

O.P. you will just have to lower the settings or go into your graphics card settings and turn your gpu to high performance and defo turn off antialiasing as that is a major drain. Farcry games were always demanding.

Real life farcry snip and it's in Ireland. Look's familiar to parts of the game but this is with 900x antialiasing.

farcry3_2012_12_02_14_47_36_34.png

There is somthing really up with my computer that I cant beat 660TI

What spec?

• Advertisement

What spec?

i5 2500k oc to 4.4
    8GB ram