Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Grayson wrote: »
    And blowing up kids in warrington was ok? The IRA were not saints. They blew up plenty of innocent bystanders. Hell, they targeted plenty of innocent people.

Jesus, from my comment there you decided I was in support of the IRA ya? All I said was the marchers were innocent civilians. Fairly sure David Cameron confirmed the same in his apology? I abhor every act the IRA committed. It should never have happened. Still it's not right for people to have some link between civil rights marchers and the IRA... They are not one in the same!

The actions of the Para's that day swelled the ranks of the Provos more than anything else before it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

One point to mention is that a lot of the irish men who signed up in WWI, did so because they believed that if they did, Ireland would become a free state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

my bf's grandad died in the war. For Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Grayson wrote: »
    One point to mention is that a lot of the irish men who signed up in WWI, did so because they believed that if they did, Ireland would become a free state.

I thought it was Home Rule they joined up for?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

I might give them the money if they were collecting and I'd probably take the poppy, but I doubt I'd ever wear it.

• Advertisement

I thought it was Home Rule they joined up for?

We were guaranteed home rule before the war.... The third home rule bill couldn't be vetoed in the House of Lords! It wasn't enough at that stage though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Oddly enough my Grandfather, machine gunner in the Somme and fireman in Coventry during the Blitz never made much of a big deal about it. God knows how he survived the Somme.

I do however wish the UK would respect their veterans more, in the US, if you mention military experience you will now get a "Thank you for your service" as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

A lot of people wear the poppy as a sign of remembrance and respect for those that have fought and died in the first and second world wars. Many Irish men enlisted in the English army to fight those wars and they lost their lives doing so. Today the poppy is better known as the symbol for the charity. I would have no hesitation in wearing it. Anyone who begrudges it really must have an empty and bitter life.

Its not just for WW1 and WW2 though,its for all conflicts the british army have edngaged in...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Spunge wrote: »
    Britain took care of us for many years, they are like family to us. I will pay respects to any of them who died. God save the queen.

the paras took care of paddy in Derry in 1972.you can like the English people without supporting propaganda for their military might.

the Irish have always fought as mercenaries. maybe we should have a day for them all, not just those who fought King and country.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Because an estimated 30,000 people died in WW1 from Ireland. Simple as. It's a symbol remembering those who died, and nothing more.

so wear the easter lily. its a symbol remembering those who died, and nothing more.

• Advertisement

flas wrote: »
    Its not just for WW1 and WW2 though,its for all conflicts the british army have edngaged in...

and some off those conflicts involved British soldiers fighting for an outdated empire and oppressing the native population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Because an estimated 30,000 people died in WW1 from Ireland. Simple as. It's a symbol remembering those who died, and nothing more.

Poppies neither specifically remember WW1 or Irish dead, however.
    lot of people wear the poppy as a sign of remembrance and respect for those that have fought and died in the first and second world wars. Many Irish men enlisted in the English army to fight those wars and they lost their lives doing so.
    pmmacmahon wrote:
    Due to the Irishmen who died fighting for britain to defend Ireland

Poppies neither specifically remember WW1, WWII or Irish dead, however. You'd think its for those conflicts, but thats due to a good PR campaign.
    galag wrote:
    When I wear a poppy it is a small way of thanking and keeping the memory alive of the sacrifices EVERY man woman and child gave for our freedom.
    Like these lads?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I reckon the debate and arguments that take place on AH every year is a bigger Irish tradition these days than the actual wearing of a poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Deedsie wrote: »
    The IRA were not marching for civil rights in Derry that day! They were non-combatant civilians murdered by an army that shouldn't have been there in the first place!
    I made no link with the IRA and the civilians killed by the Paras in my post. That was in your head obviously.

Your slant is to legitimise the murder of soldiers enmasse and ignore the IRA slaughter of innocents.

Me? I'm was outraged by Bloody Sunday. But any patriotic instincts were blown out of me by actions of the IRA. They planted thousands of bombs, murdered thousands of people all the while wrapping themselvs in the cloak of Irish freedom.

They were our enemies as much as they were the enemies of the British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

bluecode wrote: »
    I made no link with the IRA and the civilians killed by the Paras in my post. That was in your head obviously.

Your slant is to legitimise the murder of soldiers enmasse and ignore the IRA slaughter of innocents.

Me? I'm was outraged by Bloody Sunday. But any patriotic instincts were blown out of me by actions of the IRA. They planted thousands of bombs, murdered thousands of people all the while wrapping themselvs in the cloak of Irish freedom.

...which is what to do with poppies and the buying thereof?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I reckon the debate and arguments that take place on AH every year is a bigger Irish tradition these days than the actual wearing of a poppy.

:(

bluecode wrote: »

Show me any instance of a slant of me supporting anything the IRA ever did on this thread! That's an absolute bollox of an interpretation of my comments. All I was doing was highlighting that the civil rights marchers had nothing to do with the IRA. The British paras considered them one on the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

cb102 wrote: »
    But if the UFF like eating pasta or Bob Dyaln, it doesn't mean I'm not gonna like the two form now on. :)

Thinly veiled Anti pastaferian remark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

As previously mentioned, because Irish men died fighting in WWI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    As previously mentioned, because Irish men died fighting in WWI
    and that has what to do with fundraising for the Royal British Legion?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Beneath her feet

My grandparents (both Irish) were in the Brit army for a while... Would I wear one? No way.

Why would I wear a political symbol and pay for the troops of a foreign country waging sometimes needless and brutal wars on innocents today based on some guilt trip notion that I should because my family were involved with them in the past?

The Brit Legion Poppy only pays for the troops of the Brit army. Therefore it is biased, it's political and not a symbol of peace nor truly charitable. Why shouldn't the innocents of the wars be: 1) remembered by the symbol - the white poppy does as far as I'm aware and 2) cared for by a portion of the monies collected?

I also think the loss of life should be remembered rather than 'our troops' sh!te that you hear this time every year. Can't wait for the singing wives to start...Not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i use a british legion club......it does great work for the local children and old people....

and the beer is really cheap.....

bring on the fundraising.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Americans hopping on the bandwagon and ruining everything.

http://www.walegion-aux.org/Programs/Poppy%20Programs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Fought for the wrong country; died for the wrong cause.
    I feel sorry for anyone killed in wars but I feel much less sorry for soldiers than anyone killed in a road accident or through illness.

I don't buy a poppy because of where the money goes and I don't wear one because I never wear charity badges. Occasionally I give money to cancer charities and some good causes, most people who give to the British Legion do it out of pressure or fear of being labelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Nice.

An attempt to laud a bunch of degenerate serial killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Yes I have supported the Poppy Apeal and bought a poppy for years on the main street of one of Ireland's cities. In addition I have worn the poppy as a mark of respect to Great Uncles who fought and died in WW1
    What is the big deal?
    I have also bought flags on daffodil day and various other charity days.
    Time to grow up, it is 2012 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Ffs same ****e different thread. Get a ducking life and stop worrying about what other people want to show solidarity with op.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

I have relatives who have fought and died in world war 1 and are buried in Belgium. I wear a poppy as a small symbol of respect and remembrance. I am not interested in the politics or positioning of it. Its purely a personal thing.

Thats just my take on it for what it is worth.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fought for the wrong country; died for the wrong cause.
    I feel sorry for anyone killed in wars but I feel much less sorry for soldiers than anyone killed in a road accident or through illness.

I don't buy a poppy because of where the money goes and I don't wear one because I never wear charity badges. Occasionally I give money to cancer charities and some good causes, most people who give to the British Legion do it out of pressure or fear of being labelled.
    Absolute bulls**t. You spout a serious amount of nonsense on threads like this lad.

Advertisement