Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't gardai catch bike thieves?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I passed by DIT Aungier St today, where three likely lads were humping away with a large hacksaw at some poor bugger's bike. I rang 999, and it took four minutes for me to get through to the Gardai. I guess the lads probably had the bike before I even got through, let alone before a Garda arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I passed by DIT Aungier St today, where three likely lads were humping away with a large hacksaw at some poor bugger's bike. I rang 999, and it took four minutes for me to get through to the Gardai. I guess the lads probably had the bike before I even got through, let alone before a Garda arrived.

Photo ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I am sorry but perhaps I am reading your post wrong, it seems you are complaining about the Garda. Well if you are not allowed to recruit new entrants, have your funding cut, what does the public expect.
    It is the government, Kenny and his cronies who are responsible for this current situation, and it is to them your criticism should be levelled.
    I am not saying the Garda are perfect but without them we would be in a worse state, the hoodlums, scumbags would walk all over us.
    Yes we need to do something about the bikes, did you take any pictures of these thieves?
    You might have valuable info on who is responsible, we have to do our bit you know.
    But thanks for posting, every little helps.
    Enjoy the day, Foxy

Someone on the Stolen Bikes thread just had a bicycle returned by Drugs Squad gardaí who took it from someone they were questioning and checked the frame number http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324&page=45 - excellent work!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dalkeybabe

Off topic here but when someone reports their card has been skimmed to me, I tell them stop using atm machines and only ever use laser and ask for cash back... Is this also bad support...? I think not as it greatly reduces the chance of it happening again!

A friend of mine works in Finance & after going to various fraud seminars said now he only goes to ATM's beside/in banks & not the ones that are separate to them (aka the one beside Tara Street Dart station which has been decommissioned). The latter are very prone to being hacked.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Pity about the sentence.

Alot of work would have went into the case with alot of tax payers money paying for it and the subsequent court case.

Turner wrote: »
    Pity about the sentence.

Alot of work would have went into the case with alot of tax payers money paying for it and the subsequent court case.

Pfft, First offence. if they do the same again the (long) suspended sentences will come into effect. Good result all round.

Edit: Or so I thought, but apparently one person convicted was already on a suspended sentence and got another suspended sentence. I thought the point of a suspended sentence was that it was suspended unless they were convicted of another offence, in which case it came into effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I thought the point of a suspended sentence was that it was suspended unless they were convicted of another offence, in which case it came into effect?

That's the way it's supposed to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

we were selling our sons bike on a poplar web site it was never used as it was quicker for him to get the bus to work so we put up for sale one person came to see it it turned out that the person was a garda stating that a bike was stolen the same as my sons he had no serial number of the other bike which was stolen we all the document of the bike we were selling all he said it was the same as the one that we were selling should the guards have a serial number before knocking at some one door and upseting the family because the bike is the same wen a bike factory makes a bike they dont only make one they make thousands thats why they have serial numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Would you prefer they just told people who reported their bike stolen that they weren't even going to try to locate it because they didn't have the serial number?
    Think how grateful you would be if your son's bike had been stolen and they recovered it for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Would you prefer they just told people who reported their bike stolen that they weren't even going to try to locate it because they didn't have the serial number?
    Think how grateful you would be if your son's bike had been stolen and they recovered it for you...

Well without a serial number, or some other way of definitely identifying the bike, there is no evidence. Sure, any Garda can knock on anyone's door to ask any question, but without evidence the Garda can't demand* that it be handed over.

*When I say demand, I mean use actual law to seize the property as evidence. A Garda can ask anything, but can only demand that which is protected by law.

Advertisement