Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childishness on Boards.ie

Options
  • 24-07-2012 2:21pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭

I will be posting far less on Boards.ie because of the Childish comments here .I am fed up with it .
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

paddyandy wrote: »
    I will be posting far less on Boards.ie because of the Childish comments here .I am fed up with it .

You don't understand us. I HATE YOU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Screen_Shot_2012_07_24_at_142637.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

"Boards" is huge - I don't think you can make such a statement about the site as a whole, some forums are supposed to of a less serious nature than others. The sensible thing to do if one forum doesn't suit you/your posting style/the kind of discussion you want is to look around and see if another one suits better.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

60% of your posts are in AH, where childishness is encouraged and enjoyed by it's regulars.
    There has to be at least one corner of this site where you can have fun.

There are many extremely serious forums on this site where childish comments are not encouraged and may get you banned.

If AH's bothers you so much, stop posting there and try any of the myriad of other forums to be found on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can you give a few examples of these childish comments? I suspect that you're just annoyed because people have pointed out to you how utterly incomprehensible some of your own comments are lately.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Only for the few good decent threads that are intelligent i'd close altogether
    I see a good topic and then the Clowns descend on it .I'm not on boards to have fun but to learn about people .That is fun to me ,serious fun and I get the clear impression that today a lot of people simply can't cope with the reality around them and have to lose themselves somehow in some kind of Fantasy .EVERY topic has to be funny except the daft topics themselves .Sport & music are always serious subjects .....comedy is very serious too ......URL; Many here on Boards have too short an attention span .If it is'nt funny it is'nt interesting .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Only for the few good decent threads that are intelligent i'd close altogether
    I see a good topic and then the Clowns descend on it .I'm not on boards to have fun but to learn about people .That is fun to me ,serious fun and I get the clear impression that today a lot of people simply can't cope with the reality around them and have to lose themselves somehow in some kind of Fantasy .EVERY topic has to be funny except the daft topics themselves .Sport & music are always serious subjects .....comedy is very serious too ......URL; Many here on Boards have too short an attention span .If it is'nt funny it is'nt interesting .

Maybe Boards just isn't for you? And I mean that seriously. People either get AH or they don't, seeing you've over a 1,000 posts in AH would suggest to me, you do get it, more so than you let on!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I see a good topic and then the Clowns descend on it .I'm not on boards to have fun but to learn about people .

AHs if nothing else will educate you about all manner of people.

That is fun to me ,serious fun and I get the clear impression that today a lot of people simply can't cope with the reality around them and have to lose themselves somehow in some kind of Fantasy .

And they keep posting, they enjoy the Forum and the banter, and if that helps them "cope" as you put it, then what's the harm?

Regular users of AHs, like yourself, generally know what path a thread will take, and what threads are taken seriously, it's always up for a laugh and at the same time always has time for a Serious topic and any serious topic will be Modded accordingly.

What's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

After Hours is a brilliant forum and Boards.ie is a great place to talk about anything. Take a break from posting for a few days and then come back.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Paddyandy, perhaps you could list some of your interests & we could point you in the direction of a forum that may suit you better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

KoolKid wrote: »
    Paddyandy, perhaps you could list some of your interests & we could point you in the direction of a forum that may suit you better.

A "Bah Humbug Forum" would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The irony is delightful.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    60% of your posts are in AH, where childishness is encouraged and enjoyed by it's regulars.
    There has to be at least one corner of this site where you can have fun.

There are many extremely serious forums on this site where childish comments are not encouraged and may get you banned.

If AH's bothers you so much, stop posting there and try any of the myriad of other forums to be found on this site.

A very big corner indeed i did not see any sign saying that it was dedicated to fun .
    Something should say what it is and not demand that people must understand that it's for fun.....Well i'll remember it's a school for clowns but don't call it a forum for discussion when it IS NOT .iT IS NOT A FORUM FOR DISCUSSION !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

A very big corner indeed i did not see any sign saying that it was dedicated to fun .
    Something should say what it is and not demand that people must understand that it's for fun.....Well i'll remember it's a school for clowns but don't call it a forum for discussion when it IS NOT .iT IS NOT A FORUM FOR DISCUSSION !!!!!!

Now hang on a minute!
    Look, AH might be the "cesspit" of the boards (a lovely description I heard on here once:pac:) but there is always a place for a serious discussion there.

You make your topic serious, you get a joke reply or two, you ignore the people that do that (not add them to your ignore list, just don't reply) and you continue having a serious topic.

The problem is you, honestly.
    What about the depression thread? Or the Batman shootings one (okay a few of us were dicks for a while but I think it mellowed out a bit)?

If you don't think AH is for you, that's your choice and your own issue.
    AH is a place for lots of people and is one of the reason I joined Boards (main one actually).
    Lots of people enjoy it and lots of people have calm discussions on it. Just like we have blatantly insulting jibes at one another and it's all in good spirit.

If you don't enjoy it, the issue isn't with AH, it's with you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You have over 1800 Posts . Over 50% of them are in AH. And you never noticed this was not a forum for serious discussion???

Now hang on a minute!
    Look, AH might be the "cesspit" of the boards (a lovely description I heard on here once:pac:) but there is always a place for a serious discussion there.

You make your topic serious, you get a joke reply or two, you ignore the people that do that (not add them to your ignore list, just don't reply) and you continue having a serious topic.

The problem is you, honestly.
    What about the depression thread? Or the Batman shootings one (okay a few of us were dicks for a while but I think it mellowed out a bit)?

If you don't think AH is for you, that's your choice and your own issue.
    AH is a place for lots of people and is one of the reason I joined Boards (main one actually).
    Lots of people enjoy it and lots of people have calm discussions on it. Just like we have blatantly insulting jibes at one another and it's all in good spirit.

If you don't enjoy it, the issue isn't with AH, it's with you.
    Very Bitter jibes at each other with filthy language is nothing to do with 'GOOD SPIRIT'

Very Bitter jibes at each other with filthy language is nothing to do with 'GOOD SPIRIT'

Okay, so you think the jibe I (and another poster) took at Brummy Tom for being a Brummy wasn't in good spirit?

All three of us understood it was just fun and in good spirit.

You have over 1800 Posts . Over 50% of them are in AH. And you never noticed this was not a forum for serious discussion???
    No i believed that a lot of people simply vented very bad feelings in different ways and i was often puzzled by the word 'DISCUSSION' as it seemed more a place for fighting .Good job this is'nt a pub there are'nt enough ambulances anywhere if it were...Nothing to do with discussion a lot of the time .Some proxy catharsis for a lot of hurt but nothing else .As if fault finding redeemed something.....A sort of 'darts match'.

You either get AH or you dont . If you don't then head to another forum. Pretty much everything that's up for discussion in AH can be discussed seriously somewhere else on Boards .

No i believed that a lot of people simply vented very bad feelings in different ways and i was often puzzled by the word 'DISCUSSION' as it seemed more a place for fighting .Good job this is'nt a pub there are'nt enough ambulances anywhere if it were...Nothing to do with discussion a lot of the time .Some proxy catharsis for a lot of hurt but nothing else .As if fault finding redeemed something.....A sort of 'darts match'.

Okay, we do debate a lot. I'm one of the most guilty of that.

There's no fighting. Actually name calling is against the charter.

I honestly think you don't get AH.

What topic did you make that dscended into a funhouse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm glad to see that you've got a sense of humour, I was worried about you for a while.:D

You either get AH or you dont . If you don't then head to another forum. Pretty much everything that's up for discussion in AH can be discussed seriously somewhere else on Boards .
    Many good threads with good posts on them are RUINED and when that happens twice in an hour .....i've wasted that hour .That is not a trivial matter .

Many good threads with good posts on them are RUINED and when that happens twice in an hour .....i've wasted that hour .That is not a trivial matter .

Then go discuss the topics you want to discuss in a serious forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 manic12

I have found AH to be extremely inconsistent with bans looking at what some get away with.
    Your attempt to answer the idiot comments gets you a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Samich wrote: »

Abusing posters is different from abusing thickos

Abusing posters is different from abusing thickos

Why?

Why?

Because those are the rules?
    I'm not a mod on boards but basically: if you start calling me an eejit and I call you an idiot, we're going to have everyone doing the same and a few people are just going to flame for the heck of it, thus ruinning many threads.

Because those are the rules?
    I'm not a mod on boards but basically: if you start calling me an eejit and I call you an idiot, we're going to have everyone doing the same and a few people are just going to flame for the heck of it, thus ruinning many threads.

It's also an offence to insult famous people. So it's ok to insult people who aren't on boards? Hmmmmm

• Advertisement

It's also an offence to insult famous people. So it's ok to insult people who aren't on boards? Hmmmmm

Insulting and saying someone is being thick is a bit different.

For example (I assume this is a complete lie) in this example: Enda is an idiot is a lot different from: Enda is an idiot for blowing the money from taxpayers on drink and nights out instead of sorting out the country.

You just can't slander people. Libel and all that rubbish

Advertisement