Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    indeed keady

Heh - it's the Shercock Holmes of the inerwebs - fear his mad search engine skillz. :rolleyes:

kr7 wrote: »
    Do you like classic cars robbie? I know where there's a couple of nice ones.

And his inept sidekick Mr One Wattson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

alastair wrote: »
    Heh - it's the Shercock Holmes of the inerwebs - fear his mad search engine skillz. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with internet skills. What surprises me is your slowness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Seems the reminder letters are having an effect.
    Some 105,000 letters have been issued in the past fortnight, warning people
    about non-payment. More than 10,000 people have registered since receiving the letters.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0718/breaking60.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Nothing to do with internet skills. What surprises me is your slowness.

It surprises you?

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with internet skills.

No ****. :o

dvpower wrote: »
    Seems the reminder letters are having an effect.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0718/breaking60.html

That's only a small drop to add to the 2 million that have already paid - according to that nice Mr Higgins.

No ****. :o

You are some man for the smilies. Again, the clown you love comes to mind.

You are some man for the smilies. Again, the clown you love comes to mind.

Ah now - you're too modest! ;)

The IMF are today calling for a 'suitably high' property tax here.
    IMF wrote:
    The planned introduction of a value-based property tax in 2013 will provide a progressive and stable source of revenue. A suitably high level for this tax would maximize these benefits, while care is needed regarding collection modalities and lead times.
    http://www.imf.org/external/np/ms/2012/071812.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hijpo wrote: »
    Actually wasnt the official figure brought into question when they found out that people with huge portfolios were paying for each house they owned meaning just because 60% of houses were paid for doesnt mean 60% of the liable populous paid.

A country which abandoned property taxes in 1977 for private dwellings had no reason to keep a datatbase of such properties so there was never any official figure, just an estimate of 1.6 million properties, not property owners. It will take time to set up an new database and the Household Charge legislation provides for data sharing and exchange including NPPR records to make this happen.

Eventhough the NPPR was introduced in 2009 no effort was made to determine the exact number of people owning properties other than their principal residence. Despite that the owners of about 340,000 such properties are paying the €200 a year NPPR for them on the same self registration basis as applies to the Household Charge.

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/travel-resources/industry-news/property-investment-news/irish-second-home-owners-pay-euro;180-million-in-taxes/a-3-55-2629/

No doubt they have been encouraged by the €20 per month penalty for late payment and if this type of penalty had been applied to the Household Charge it would have made for even better compliance to date. A nice windfall awaits the exchequer from the NPPR late payers whenever their properties change hands. At present they owe about €2200 rising by €80 per month instead of having paid €800 to date.

https://www.nppr.ie/Faq.aspx#fk0

I think they should just go medieval with the penalties for the tardy HHC payers - those are the kind of modalities I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Are you glad of that? Does that actually make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Whoa...... hey guys look at this..........

This is abso-fcukin-loutely deadly!

I cannot believe my luck here, we might actually get to pay more tax next year.... can life get any better?

You know what they say about a fool and their money lol....

I think they should just go medieval with the penalties for the tardy HHC payers - those are the kind of modalities I like.

Maybe they should.

They're also calling for welfare cuts, medical card cuts etc.

I'm calling for tonight's lotto numbers.

Not much chance of that either.

And his inept sidekick Mrs One Wattson.

FYP

Ghandee wrote: »
    I cannot believe my luck here, we might actually get to pay more tax next year.... can life get any better?
    We're most certainly going to be paying more tax next year - have you not seen the deficit?

The important question is what mix of the extra tax should be on work, consumption or wealth.

kr7 wrote: »
    FYP

Ah, my mistake - I'd usually ascribe that degree of pigheadedness to a man.

We're most certainly going to be paying more tax next year - have you not seen the deficit?

The important question is what mix of the extra tax should be on work, consumption or wealth.

Might as well keep going the way we are. Put it all on consumption, kill the local economy completely.

Can't touch work - Labour policy

Can't touch wealth - FG policy.

Some of us are....

(the fools who pay it)

It'll linger on for a few years, then the new govt will get elected, the steadfast non payers holding on to their cash (although still paying for their local services as they always have) while the foolish demand a refund for the money theyve parted with.

Bookmark this post DV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I suppose you guys are practicing jumping through their hoops while salivating at this news.
    Those Troika p***** should be told to fcuk off. They are laughing at this Government big time and coming out of their press conferences sneering and laughing. They never had it so easy in any other country as they do here.

A country which abandoned property taxes in 1977 for private dwellings had no reason to keep a datatbase of such properties so there was never any official figure, just an estimate of 1.6 million properties, not property owners. It will take time to set up an new database and the Household Charge legislation provides for data sharing and exchange including NPPR records to make this happen.

Eventhough the NPPR was introduced in 2009 no effort was made to determine the exact number of people owning properties other than their principal residence. Despite that the owners of about 340,000 such properties are paying the €200 a year NPPR for them on the same self registration basis as applies to the Household Charge.

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/travel-resources/industry-news/property-investment-news/irish-second-home-owners-pay-euro;180-million-in-taxes/a-3-55-2629/

No doubt they have been encouraged by the €20 per month penalty for late payment and if this type of penalty had been applied to the Household Charge it would have made for even better compliance to date. A nice windfall awaits the exchequer from the NPPR late payers whenever their properties change hands. At present they owe about €2200 rising by €80 per month instead of having paid €800 to date.

https://www.nppr.ie/Faq.aspx#fk0

You never came back to me when I challenged you earlier on your ficticious friend, taxed to the hilt by SF lol?

Also on your claim about the highest rate of rates being applicable to SF led council areas?

Incidentally, I was in the Dundalk area on Monday.......

Not too many have paid the HHC in your neck of the woods according to a few families in one estate in particular I was visiting.

You must be in the minority in the town.

Some of us are....

(the fools who pay it)

It'll linger on for a few years, then the new govt will get elected, the steadfast non payers holding on to their cash (although still paying for their local services as they always have) while the foolish demand a refund for the money theyve parted with.

Bookmark this post DV.

The lollipop land strategy - always a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes, you probably need to change your underpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Shift goalposts much?

So niether you or dv can tell me what local services i get if i pay the HHC.

You are just like enda and phil.

The lollipop land strategy - always a winner.

Only someone deluding themselves that FG/Lab will hold on to power at the next G.E is the one living in 'lollipop land' Allistair.

You know it, and so do the rest of the blueshirts....

They've definitely shown time and time again that theyre here for a good time, not a long time.

It'll linger on for a few years, then the new govt will get elected
    ... and then, as if by magic, the deficit will disappear and we'll all live happily ever after.

Ah, my mistake - I'd usually ascribe that degree of pigheadedness to a man.

Maybe we should meet up for a date, you know what they say, opposites attract and all that.

There'd be some sparks boy especially in the back seat....

Incidentally, I was in the Dundalk area on Monday.......

Not too many have paid the HHC in your neck of the woods according to a few families in one estate in particular I was visiting.

I'm betting Muirhevnamor - sure it's all Northern Bank Note cash economy there.

From the Argus (hi!)
    Wednesday June 20 2012

JUST half of Louth households have paid the household charge, prompting Louth County Council to starkly warn: 'we will find the rest of you'.

Figures released by the local authority last week show that 21,824 households had paid the charge up to June 13, which the council says represents 'circa 50 per cent'.

• Advertisement

I suppose you guys are practicing jumping through their hoops while salivating at this news.
    Those Troika p***** should be told to fcuk off. They are laughing at this Government big time and coming out of their press conferences sneering and laughing. They never had it so easy in any other country as they do here.
    Tilting at windmills there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement