Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Systems are down part 2 *READ* First post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

J-blk wrote: »
    It seems to me they are even duplicating transactions at this stage. I have avoided using my Visa Debit since this clusterf*ck started and have almost no transactions on the account as a result. I'm still missing pay from the 21st, the 26th and the 29th (my own and wife's salaries). No sign of any of that.

Today, my account is missing an extra €100 - this is an ATM transaction from the 22nd which now shows up twice: once as "Ulster Bank - 22 June" which is correct and the other is the generic "ATM transaction - 22 June". Patience pretty much gone at this stage...

If you could let me know what you do to follow up here, i woudl appreciate it. I'll do the same. Appears same thign happened our accounts on the 22nd.

DUPLICATE DEBITS

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I havnt seen my wages from the last 2 thursdays yet. Presumably I'll be gettign at least 3 weeks worth together by the time its sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

funkhouser wrote: »
    Ignoring discussions about semantics for a second; anecdotally I literally do not know one person who has received money into their account since the problems began.

I am one of two people are waiting on salary since day one of the problem. If they are "clearing a backlog" surely there is some chronological element to that process.

I'm disappointed that the media is now pushing this to the back pages, so to speak if, as it seems to me to be the case, no progress whatsoever has been made with Ulster Bank customers receiving their pay.

I know of one person who got their wages last week, about five days overdue.

Everyone else I know with UB, including me, is still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ignoring discussions about semantics for a second; anecdotally I literally do not know one person who has received money into their account since the problems began.

I am one of two people are waiting on salary since day one of the problem. If they are "clearing a backlog" surely there is some chronological element to that process.

I'm disappointed that the media is now pushing this to the back pages, so to speak if, as it seems to me to be the case, no progress whatsoever has been made with Ulster Bank customers.

I got paid last Thursday. From AIB. I am well aware I am very fortunate.

My mortgage hasn't gone out however, and other debit card transactions haven't appeared on the statement.

My issue is a payment I made online last Monday to another party - who is seriously in need of the money - hasn't gone through. It's listed as leaving my account, but hasn't arrived in theirs.

I was told on the phone this morning that's there's nothing UB can do about outgoing payments 'for the moment'. Then I got cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Patch123 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a PTSB mortgage that is due to go out of my UB current account today/tomorrow by direct debit. I rang UB twice and got conflicting information about what to do: One said that although I might not see the payment going out of the account, it would be paid in the background so not to worry. The other said I should contact my mortgage provider.

I'm reluctant to contact PTSB about it in case I end up wasting my time trying to find a solution to a problem that (a) I am not responsible for; and (b) may be overtaken by events in the coming days. There are sufficent funds in the account right now to pay it.

So my question is: Should I sit tight or contact PTSB about this?

I was trying to see if this thread offered an answer to my question, and while some alluded to the same issue, they may not be exactly the same circumstances (though I might have missed something -apologies if so).

Thanks

I am similar with current acc in Ulster and mortgage elsewhere falling due soon. I have already emailed my mortgage bank, explaining the situation, no answer yet but when it is something as important as your mortgage history, far better safe than sorry in my opinion. Definitely don't worry about wasting your mortgage bank's time, give a phone call or email so if a problem does arise they will know why.

In my case the money I transferred into Ulster bank last week still has not arrived so I cannot withdraw it and pay mortgage in cash - could possibly be an option for you though if PTSB agreed not to put in your direct debit this month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

In the same boat myself, no payments as of 20th June.
    Two of the three payments due to me are weekly welfare payments which go to the account each week, I rang the social and requested that they pay the money to the post office until the mess is cleared up and they sorted that over the phone no problem.

Anybody else getting a social welfare payment into their bank account should do the same, took all of two minutes and they said that they'll change it back as soon as I ring them and ask them to.
    More inconvenient to collect it but at least I'll have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jcupcake

Newstalk lunchtime are going to be talking about it, don't know how much time they'll give for it. It's on now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I'm disappointed that the media is now pushing this to the back pages, so to speak if, as it seems to me to be the case, no progress whatsoever has been made with Ulster Bank customers receiving their pay.

they are lying to us. simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

On the TV3 news - "no resolution in sight". Also said it's unlikely to be fixed this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

According to RTE journalist on Twitter, report due at 1 pm news.

Apparently customers should see their accounts update within the coming week but it will be some time before service resumes as normal.

I'm paraphrasing but I'm sure we all get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    If you could let me know what you do to follow up here, i woudl appreciate it. I'll do the same. Appears same thign happened our accounts on the 22nd.

DUPLICATE DEBITS

Sure thing. I saw others posting about the same problem too. I've checked a couple of times since and my balance looks the same, with the duplicate ATM transaction. I'm assuming this is just another step in the f*ck up, so will just wait it out for a couple of days, see if it sorts itself out. I don't think any of us can do anything until this is sorted, after which point we'll probably have to chase them up for duplicates, charges, etc - more fun ahead :(.

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    This is more or less the same as my account activity.

It looks like they have been duplicating transactions. I now for a fact one is a duplicate because the day in question was my brothers wedding. I stopped to use the bank machine before it. Not afterwards. And both transactions are appearing on that day.

It looks like they are updating this, albeit incorrectly.

Is there any way i can challenge that debit? As you can imagine, they day of a family members wedding wouldnt be cheap i'd like to see that money again!

same here. two cash withdrawls showing on a certain day, when i know i only made one.

i doubt there is much we, or they can do about it now.

id say once the dust has settled one of the transactions should drop off the system automatically.

well, thats the hope anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Domhnall66

I could not agree more. Indo, not a peep that I can see. Times has a small update, RTE seem to be acting like there is nothing happening at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

From the horses mouth - and it's not looking great ..

"We target that customers should see their balances updating during the coming week. However, normal service will take some further time as our experience from dealing with the same issues in the UK suggests that there may be bumps along the road."

More details here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/ulster-bank-a-statement-from-rbs.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I,m still not paid, with AIB , salary goes through Ulster..!! Thats 7 days. Heads should roll...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Ogham wrote: »

"We target that customers should see their balances updating during the coming week. However, normal service will take some further time as our experience from dealing with the same issues in the UK suggests that there may be bumps along the road."

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/ulster-bank-a-statement-from-rbs.html

Back to the bullish*t about the backlog I see... Sure, weren't they starting to work on the backlog last week (which we all know is a load of bull)? More of the same crap really...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've been waiting for a payment since last wednesday.

The previous wednesday my payment wasn't there in the morning but showed by the end of the day so I wasn't too worried about last week.
    Now I'm worried I will be waiting for this weeks payment for a long time too, start of the month, bills have to be paid, it's going to be fierce tight round these parts I reckon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Pulled from RTE website:
    But it has said that restoring normal service will take some further time.
    RBS has also responded to criticism over delays in resolving issues for customers in Ireland compared to the UK
    RBS said on an average day it processes around 20 million transactions. These are done in batches through an automated system.
    The bank said that clearing the backlog had to be done in sequence, in order for the automated system to recommence.
    RBS said NatWest and RBS customers in the UK had their problems resolved before those in Ireland because Ulster Bank follows the other two banks in the sequence for processing transactions.
    It said this is because of the way the technology was set up when the three banks were integrated, and is not a reflection of the priority it attaches to Ulster Bank customers.
    RBS group chief executive Stephen Hester said he recognises that sorry is not enough.
    He said Ireland is important to them, pointing out that they had maintained a full banking service in Ireland through the financial crisis, as others left the market here.
    RBS said that steady progress was made over the weekend in starting to bring Ulster Bank processing up to date. It said customers should see their balances updating during the coming week.
    However, normal service will take some further time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Eoineo wrote: »
    According to RTE journalist on Twitter, report due at 1 pm news.

Apparently customers should see their accounts update within the coming week but it will be some time before service resumes as normal.

I'm paraphrasing but I'm sure we all get the gist.

Yeah more horse$hit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JABS

Ogham wrote: »

More details here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/ulster-bank-a-statement-from-rbs.html

“Unfortunately for our customers in Ireland, Ulster Bank payments follow in sequence after those of NatWest and RBS. This is because of the way the technology was set-up at the time the 3 banks were integrated. It in no way reflects the priority we attach to our Ulster Bank customers and we regret any confusion this might have caused.”

In no way reflects the priority we attach to our Ulster Bank customers but .................. we put you guys third on the list so the UK transactions will be processed first daily. That spells UK priority to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Standing order due the 22nd went out Saturday evening, back in as of this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

JABS wrote: »
    “Unfortunately for our customers in Ireland, Ulster Bank payments follow in sequence after those of NatWest and RBS. This is because of the way the technology was set-up at the time the 3 banks were integrated. It in no way reflects the priority we attach to our Ulster Bank customers and we regret any confusion this might have caused.”

In no way reflects the priority we attach to our Ulster Bank customers but .................. we put you guys third on the list so the UK transactions will be processed first daily. That spells UK priority to me.

Alphabetical order ? Sort code Order ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I made a lodgement Thursday 2 weeks ago that hasn't gone through yet. I presume I can take that receipt and get it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

As much of a fk up as this is.. Ive a lot of regard for the footsoldiers theyve sent to man the phone lines. Im just off the phone and spoke to 2 people in their call centre who were very straight and very helpful about it. Its not their fault and they're doing a good job.

If UB would only learn from this to keep the ship steady in future, keep these people in their jobs, don't look for mental profits that causes back breaking cost cuts, and just run the business solidly.. they'd be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

At long long last, 13 days later, the first detailed statement re Ulster Bank......

http://www.rbs.com/news/2012/07/rbs-group-updates-on-technology-issues-affecting-its-ulster-bank.html

Make of it what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Patch123

fiona-f wrote: »
    I am similar with current acc in Ulster and mortgage elsewhere falling due soon. I have already emailed my mortgage bank, explaining the situation, no answer yet but when it is something as important as your mortgage history, far better safe than sorry in my opinion. Definitely don't worry about wasting your mortgage bank's time, give a phone call or email so if a problem does arise they will know why.

In my case the money I transferred into Ulster bank last week still has not arrived so I cannot withdraw it and pay mortgage in cash - could possibly be an option for you though if PTSB agreed not to put in your direct debit this month?

Thanks for the response - I rang PTSB and they were very helpful. If there's enough money in the account, the direct debit should be passed today/tomorrow (even if I don't see it). If there is not enough money they will ask for the DD again in 10 days time. If it is not passed at that stage a a €10 euro unpaid fee will apply, which Ulster Bank will refund (apparently - no idea how that particualr mess will be sorted!) He said if it was coming towards the end of July and things weren't sorted at that stage they could start to look at manual payments. The mortgage would not go into arrears until it's passed 30 days paid in any case.

But if we get towards an end of July timeframe without resolution, that would be beyond catastrophic! Just to clarify, I wasn't worried about wasting the banks time I was worried about them wasting my time: for example, by getting me to do a manual payment now. That's why I was reluctant to get in touch - but I'm glad I did now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Text from the RBS website, link in post above
    RBS Group updates on technology issues affecting its Ulster Bank customers
    2nd July 2012

Ulster Bank advises customers that it is making steady inroads to the delays in its payments systems caused by a technology problem at its RBS parent group. The pace of progress is improving though of course has been slower than we or our customers would have liked. We are grateful to our customers for their patience while we work hard to restore a normal service level.

Incident background

Each evening, the bank processes the day’s transactions across our businesses. This is a large-scale operation - on an average day we process around 20 million transactions. The transactions are processed in batches through automated systems. In normal conditions this overnight batch processing completes before business resumes the following day.

The initial reviews we have carried out indicate that a problem was created when maintenance on systems, which are managed and operated by our team in Edinburgh, caused an error in our batch scheduler. This error caused the automated batch processing to fail on the night of Tuesday 19 June. The knock-on effects created significant processing delays and required substantial manual interventions from our team. This was made worse because the team could not access the record of transactions that had been processed up to the point of failure. The need to first establish at what point processing had stopped delayed subsequent batches and created a backlog. It is not clear at this stage why that record was not available. Consequently, a significant number of customer account balances did not update as they should have from Tuesday 19 June.

The exact cause of this issue will only be known once we have carried out a full investigation, which we will do as a matter of priority.

Progress to date

Although the initial problem was rectified promptly, we were faced with a processing backlog which had to be cleared before we could begin to return the systems to normal. In order to be able to recommence automated batch processing and to move towards a normal state, the batches had to be brought back into sequence. Unfortunately for our customers in Ireland, Ulster Bank payments follow in sequence after those of NatWest and RBS. This is because of the way the technology was set-up at the time the 3 banks were integrated. It in no way reflects the priority we attach to our Ulster Bank customers and we regret any confusion this might have caused.

Over this weekend, steady progress was made in starting to bring the Ulster Bank batch processing up to date. The key now is to catch up on the backlog.

We target that customers should see their balances updating during the coming week. However, normal service will take some further time as our experience from dealing with the same issues in the UK suggests that there may be bumps along the road. We will do everything we can to manage the continued inconvenience this may cause to our customers.

We will issue a media update each day to keep our customers fully informed. The same information will be shared with our customers through our normal channels, on our websites, via twitter, in our call centres and branches

Investigation

We will carry out a full and detailed investigation into the causes of the problem, overseen by independent experts, once the critical system recovery tasks are completed and we will continue to liaise closely with regulators. We will publish relevant findings from this investigation in due course. In the meantime, our priority is helping our customers and restoring a dependable banking platform on the island of Ireland.

Our commitment to our customers

Customers in Ireland rightly expect better from us than the service problems experienced as a result of this incident. We are committed to ensuring that no one will be left permanently out of pocket as a result of this. Our Ulster Bank branches have been open for extended hours all week and our call centres have significantly higher numbers of staff available to answer calls. We are asking any customers affected by this issue to contact us and we will do all we can to help.

We apologise again for the significant inconvenience we know this incident has caused and sincerely thank our customers for their patience.

"I want to apologise to our Ulster Bank customers for the significant inconvenience caused by these technology problems. I recognise that being sorry is not enough; we believe we have fixed the initial problem and are now making inroads in catching up with the knock-on effects to our customers in Ulster Bank. My colleagues and I are fully committed in support of our Board, management and staff in Ireland who have been tireless in their efforts to support our customers. We recognise that we are important to Ireland. And Ireland is important to us. We have been steadfast in supporting customers in Ulster Bank through the financial crisis, maintaining a full banking service as others have left the banking market. We will continue to meet our responsibilities and ensure we restore normal support to our customers."

Stephen Hester, RBS Group Chief Executive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it shows how important it is that we all keep any bank statments we receive and put them in safe keeping, and take record of all our transactions through a paper trail to keep in safety. it would be our way of proving our status at bank, just one press of the wrong button can eraise millions of accounts in one sweep, so hard copies are vital to have in your own hand, this is my opinion

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    it shows how important it is that we all keep any bank statments we receive and put them in safe keeping, and take record of all our transactions through a paper trail to keep in safety. it would be our way of proving our status at bank, just one press of the wrong button can eraise millions of accounts in one sweep, so hard copies are vital to have in your own hand, this is my opinion

if it is a case that transactions are unrecoverable, what happens then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement