Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Just watching alien at the moment and the infamous space jockey scene just passed, the original concept was surely a full biological being and not some guy in a suit? It dosent look anything like a suit in it. I know that hed been there for years etc.. but thats just my thought.

Still havent seen the film though :mad:

In the books
    they were giant humanoids with elephant like faces that hated and I mean hated everything that existed and spent their existence hopping from one system to another wiping out every living thing.

They were telepathic , cold , logical and evil. They floated instead of walking on some sort of hover technology in their suit, and had planned to wipe out life on Earth but got preoccupied when a bio-weapon they were working on (Xenomorphs) worked a little too well and started wiping them out instead. The film however, has a different version of them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭klose

Which books are they? Or do you mean the comics?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Just saw this today. I'd avoided a lot of the hype and though I saw the trailers I didn't scrutinise 'em.

On the whole I enjoyed Prometheus. That said, my expectations for this were rock bottom. So definitely read damned with faint praise for that first sentence.

I've no objections to the choice of soundtrack. None. I actually stayed to listen to the music over the end credits (more on this later. Its not all good).

Also, on reflection there was large amounts of THIS DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE in the film, and I'm not talking about how the film complains about the complexities of existing lore.

Why were they in Scotland digging?

Am I a simpleton who is embarrassingly ignorant of that famous ancient Scottish civilisation that they were obviously investigating, as opposed to digging in a cave based on a hunch or no reason whatsoever?

Presumably that dig provided necessary evidence that made the argument to investigate that particular area of space at huge cost worth listening to? As opposed to the exact same stuff already found in like 6 other civilisations?
    Sooo... what was that evidence? What was so special that was found in Scotland, what am I not getting here? And if nothing was found, why is this scene not on the cutting room floor?

Staffing problems among the crew. Look at their scientific and professional expertese.

2A
    Charles: "What? There's an atmosphere here? According to these instruments? And if I'm wrong I'll be dead in 3 minutes? Helmets off time! Scoopy derpy dooooo!"
    :pac:

2B
    The biologist, upon coming across the decapitated biological discovery to end all discoveries gets scared and wants to immediately move with his auntie and uncle to Bell Air.
    Sorry, I mean run away.
    After Signing up to be in a coma for 2 years to go to an incredibly isolated part of space and vomit from shock on arrival he has no fascination with something that is absolutely definitely dead and no threat to him.
    Maybe he's just really cautious? Ok, well, that could make sense except...

2C
    ... our friend, the least enthusiastic biologist in the galaxy decides to flee with The One Guy In Charge of Mapping Using Red Lazer Puppies Who Is Only There For The Money. And allegedly to look at rocks, which he loves. Together they wander off in the same manner as drunken slutty bitchy cheerleaders are wont to do in slasher movies and get lost. The one guy who is in charge of mapping GETS LOST. A no-expense-spared trip across space. Yet they hired THAT guy.

2D
    "Hey! Stick the probe into the part of the brain of the weird alien we've never seen before that can tricks other parts of its brain into being alive if you use electricity! OK, now give it more juice... a little more... ok a little less... OK this is going badly wrong, stick it into the plastic box before it explodes! STAT!" *KERSPLAT* "Ah. Well that could have went better. Hmmm.... on reflection I don't know why I had an archaeologist assist me with this instead of a surgeon. I mean, there's no reason why you should really be in the room at all to be honest.
    :pac:"

The DNA match crap. Wow. If the film is going to make a fuss over big questions and where we come from they could at least get the science to be believable to an average secondary school biology student...

The purpose built surgical robot that is so exclusive they only made a dozen of 'em. WTF. How does healthcare work in the future? Is there one exclusive hospital *in the entire galaxy* for the insanely rich that has first pick of the goodies and a totally ridiculous set of patent laws? And does it have its own "MTV Cribs" style show so Dr. Shaw and everyone else knows all about the balling limited Gangster-Surgeon-bot-9000?

The script can't have Shaw say ABORTION or EMERGENCY ABORTION when she want the god-damn-hell-squid out of her uterus. No, it has to be C-SECTION (though that particular flavour wasn't stocked in the surgical vending machine of necessary yet senseless memorable scenes, because apparently the machine didn't have enough memory to remember all surgical procedures for both women and men??? Maybe they only made 12 because it was a particularly bad design...). Semantically demanding a c-section instead of an abortion is the same as her saying "I want to give birth to this horrific alien bundle of joy that's using my uterus as a speed bag!"

Really anyone who'd get squeamish over the word abortion probably shouldn't be in the particular cinema, considering the use of sexual imagery in horror sci-fi, *even if they've no idea this is related to the Alien franchise*.

"I just stapled myself shut, and know for fact that the ship is in quarantine lock down. Perhaps I should get into a biosuit or tell someone that there's a god-damn-hell-squid I just this-is-not-a-c-section-c-section'ed out of me in the "Gangsta-Surgeon-9000-bot-Special-Championship-Edition." Or you know, maybe try and get some help...

...Nah. I'll leave it and wander around without taking extra precautions against any infections or anything. I'll leave the horrifying hell squid where it is for someone else to stumble across and deal with (SURPRISE! LOOK WHAT I GOT YOU FOR CHRISTMAS GUYS! BET YOU DON'T HAVE ONE OF THESE, EH? I GREW IT MYSELF!)

What sort of limited edition surgical equipment has a function for either spraying the patient with some kind of fire extinguisher or life threatening gas?
    What sort of surgery needs that?!
    Do patients get told it can do that before reading about it once inside?

"Let's run away from the enormous round crushing wheel of death in the direction where we have no chance of actually escaping, presumably because after learning how to travel huge distances across the galaxy we've forgotten some of the fundamentals of how wheels roll."
    "But this is a stupid idea, we could just fall and roll less than 2 meters to the right and be safe."
    "Shut up, the trailer needs this, the storyline is secondary to the trailer. Audiences lap up this Transformers kinda crap."

On the whole I enjoyed Prometheus... but I don't think I enjoyed it for any of the reasons the film makers intended.

+edit
    Oh, and despite there being something after the end credits the lovely people at the cinema turned the lights up as bright as humanly possible. Thanks UCI Blanch. Really nice. I ended up leaving since it is impossible to enjoy the music and read the credits in a *ridiculously* bright cinema getting eye balled by clean up staff who want you to leave so.

Do they think that making me feel pressured to GTFO before I've seen the entire film is going to make me a regular at their cinema? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Cameron should have directed is all I'd say, the story suited his style far more.. was too expansive and mythos driven for Ridley's standalone cult movie attitude.
    More thrills= Cameron , nerve wracking = Scott.

Which books are they? Or do you mean the comics?

They were novels. I think they were adaptions of the comics but much more detailed. There were quit a few by various authors. Steve Perry wrote a number of them based on Mark Verheiden's graphic novels and I enjoyed them thoroughly when I was a young teenager. As far as I know they are non-canon, but as there are so many diversions from canon in the Aliens and Predator franchise its hard to tell what is canon and is not.

http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/book1.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/nightmare%20asylum.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/female%20war.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/genocide.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/alien%20harvest.jpg
    http://www.absoluteavp.com/images/sections/lit/big/aliens_08b_music.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I did not stay until the end of the credits. Was there another scene?

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    Cameron should have directed is all I'd say, the story suited his style far more.. was too expansive and mythos driven for Ridley's standalone cult movie attitude.
    More thrills= Cameron , nerve wracking = Scott.

Please tell me you don't go to horror/science fiction films expecting to see a thriller or action film?
    Because I didn't watch Pandorum or Alien and later complain that there wasn't a director there to make it more like like Tom Clancy or Transformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Apparently not but i didnt stay and confirm. but the cinema lights did not come back on.

doubt it would be worth it, it would probably have been a self promoting question that will lead to people asking whens a sequel.

Spoiler:
    Its a really **** movie, dont waste your time. cant understand the good press its getting!!!

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Neither did I.
    But a but of googling says that there is a
    teaser for something coming on 10/11/12. Not an actual scene, just a still with that date on it from what I gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Its about human kind and the human condition combined with technology. Biological weapons put into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

They were novels. I think they were adaptions of the comics but much more detailed. There were quit a few by various authors. Steve Perry wrote a number of them based on Mark Verheiden's graphic novels and I enjoyed them thoroughly when I was a young teenager. As far as I know they are non-canon, but as there are so many diversions from canon in the Aliens and Predator franchise its hard to tell what is canon and is not.

http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/book1.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/nightmare%20asylum.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/female%20war.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/genocide.jpg
    http://www.planetavp.com/conrad/alien%20harvest.jpg
    http://www.absoluteavp.com/images/sections/lit/big/aliens_08b_music.jpg

Yes they are adaptations of the dark horse comic series that started up just after aliens was released.

They are the official comic book series but are blatantly non canon. there was one runnin series which was the initial 3 storylines (book 1-3 now known as outbreak, nightmare asylum, female war)

Originally they followed hicks and Newt after returning to earth (Ripley had disapeared) but after alien 3 completely f*cked the series over by killing them all off they changed their names to Billy and Wilks instead and just had it that it all occured on another colony.

The books differ with female war because the comic came out just before alien 3 and just had ripley return, but the novel came later and they redid the story to have it that ripley was actually a synth like bishop.

The upcoming colonial marines game actually uses a very similar premise to female war actually the first part of the book is pretty much the same setting (boarding the sulaco with a new marine team just after aliens and then going to the planet)

After that they series opted to do stand alone stories instead and there are some strong stories in the franchise (Aliens Rogue, Aliens Genocide and Aliens Labyrinth are particularily good). They did do another long running story with aliens colonial marines and they tied up the initial aliens vs predator story into a trilogy with aliens bersker and aliens vs predator: War.

But for the space jokeys they only show up in two stories. Aliens outbreak where I dont think it's as you say, I dont think they wipe out everything from system to system out of hate, I think it's actually a form of terraforming, I know the comic ends with them trying to turn earth's atmosphere to suit them and wait for the aliens and humans to all die out.

The only other story they show up is Aliens: Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels which is actually quite similar to prometheus with the religious overtones of gods and origins and the revelation is that their society was wiped out by the aliens which are this natural extinction system that wipes out any species that achieves space travel (think the reapers of mass effect) and that only one remained alive trying to outlast the aliens but fails in the end.

Kind of funny thinking about it because prometheus is sort of the reverse of the above
    the alien is the creation/extinction system (ooze) becoming polluted by man interferring and creating a new life born out of a weapon of mass destruction.

The comics do seriously vary in quality but there are some quality writing and ideas of how the universe/species worked in them. And you got to respect any series that has earth being overrun by the end of the first book.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Yes they are adaptations of the dark horse comic series that started up just after aliens was released.

They are the official comic book series but are blatantly non canon. there was one runnin series which was the initial 3 storylines (book 1-3 now known as outbreak, nightmare asylum, female war)

Originally they followed hicks and Newt after returning to earth (Ripley had disapeared) but after alien 3 completely f*cked the series over by killing them all off they changed their names to Billy and Wilks instead and just had it that it all occured on another colony.

The books differ with female war because the comic came out just before alien 3 and just had ripley return, but the novel came later and they redid the story to have it that ripley was actually a synth like bishop.

The upcoming colonial marines game actually uses a very similar premise to female war actually the first part of the book is pretty much the same setting (boarding the sulaco with a new marine team just after aliens and then going to the planet)

After that they series opted to do stand alone stories instead and there are some strong stories in the franchise (Aliens Rogue, Aliens Genocide and Aliens Labyrinth are particularily good). They did do another long running story with aliens colonial marines and they tied up the initial aliens vs predator story into a trilogy with aliens bersker and aliens vs predator: War.

But for the space jokeys they only show up in two stories. Aliens outbreak where I dont think it's as you say, I dont think they wipe out everything from system to system out of hate, I think it's actually a form of terraforming, I know the comic ends with them trying to turn earth's atmosphere to suit them and wait for the aliens and humans to all die out.

The only other story they show up is Aliens: Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels which is actually quite similar to prometheus with the religious overtones of gods and origins and the revelation is that their society was wiped out by the aliens which are this natural extinction system that wipes out any species that achieves space travel (think the reapers of mass effect) and that only one remained alive trying to outlast the aliens but fails in the end.

Kind of funny thinking about it because prometheus is sort of the reverse of the above
    the alien is the creation/extinction system (ooze) becoming polluted by man interferring and creating a new life born out of a weapon of mass destruction.

The comics do seriously vary in quality but there are some quality writing and ideas of how the universe/species worked in them. And you got to respect any series that has earth being overrun by the end of the first book.

Hi yeah I remember Labarynth it was excellent sci fi horror reading.
    I admit I may not be 100% accurate in my retelling of the space jockeys, as it was a long long time ago when I read the books. I seem to recall something about Billy making it back to a ship just as thousands of Xenos are about to over run it, a space jockey shows up and starts wiping them out with some sort of Gatling gun type weapon. There was a telepathic conversation, and If I recall correctly Billy was overwhelmed by the creatures hatred for humans, but this didn't compare to its hatred for xenos. Billy knew that after this race had finished dealing with the xenos it would turn its attention to humans. Your right about the Terra-forming, I forgot to mention that. Either way the space jockeys fascinated me in that they were a seemingly all powerful race that were both central to the story and yet completely peripheral to the events of that unfolded, rarely making an appearance.

Nice to see someone else on here who took an interest in the books. Your right that the quality varied greatly , but the best of the books were excellent sci fi reading.;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just back from seeing it at a Digital IMAX.

The visuals were nice (the 3D actually felt used in a worthwhile fashion, which was nice) and I liked the score quite a lot (even though it was OTT at times), but the script and dialogue ranged from bad to atrocious and for the most part it felt like nobody involved really knew what the underlying theme of the film was or how to express it with any kind of subtlety.

Also, I would quite like it if someone would either take the Idiot Ball away from Hollywood scriptwriters or kick the bastards in the balls every time they use it. I am tired as hell of seeing films in which
    alleged scientists doing retarded things like taking their helmet off after 10 seconds of atmospheric observation, or treating extraplanetary fauna as being inherently friendly and non-aggressive, or performing a variety of examinations on deceased remains of a species shown to be genetically identical to humans without taking any kind of precautions against potential infection, and then being surprised by their consequences. Not as tired as I am of seeing female characters being given "depth" by revealing that they *sob* can't have children *gasp* in a ham-fisted conversation written by an tin-eared idiot.

If you can put up with the level of stupid typically present in large-budget Hollywood science-fiction films, there's plenty to enjoy in Prometheus on an audiovisual level. As a story it's a load of arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hah!

only took a few minutes of searching but I got Outbreak, labyrinth and Hive here (plus my signed copy of action philosophers #2 which has a great story on Ayn Rand's hypocracy)

Yeah the jockey comes to the alien homeworld for revenge against the alien, it's mind is full of hatred but not at the humans, but when they return to earth, the military have set in motion a plan to nuke the whole planet to wipe it clean and then terraform it again and the jockey learning of this plan takes the planet for itself instead and in female war it's terraforming the planet for it's own needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Just saw it at the cinema. I thought it was a fine film, not an all-time great but a much worthier addition to the series than Alien 3 or 4. I was completely unenthused about the premise but Scott, who seems to be something of a genius managed to make the most of it and ended up with a film which presents a number of interesting questions/possibilities for a sequel. And unusually for a film of this nature, I'm actually interested in what happens next. The characterisation is ok, Theron is the typical annoying corporate exec, Rapace's character, Shaw, was a good protagonist. Some Irish Times reviewer complained about the lack of exploration into how her faith interacts with her scientific rationality. Well for me the fact that they didn't delve into it much is a relief. Why? Because I remember the X-Files and the ho hum po faced holier than thou explorations of Scully's faith versus her scientific training and I always found it annoying and boring. In fact Shaw is a representative for all the people who happen to be religious but not in an in your face I believe and must dispute science at every turn kind of way, such people do exist, hell, such scientists like this exist, I have met them and they're cool. Our characterisations of theism vs atheism needn't fall into fundamentalist categories the bible bashers vs Richard Dawkins. So I'm glad that didn't take over the film.
    Also I'm glad the alien didn't feature much. To me the concept is exhausted. Instead I found their creators much more interesting. Particularly the reaction of the one in suspended animation who upon awakening proceeds to kill everyone around him. This to me plays into the whole alien psychology argument, that aliens have no need to be friendly or share any kind of human emotions or sense of ethics
    . This is again why I'm very curious if there will be a sequel. Of course Scott or someone of his calibre will have to direct it. This film in the hands of any lesser director would have been a disaster. Also I've read that some people are complaining about the music? Why??? I liked the 1979 alien theme returning for this film, and the rest of it didn't offend me. The 1979 theme, is a great piece of music, it's actually striking rather than conventional, and conventional for me equates to boring. Soundtracks which suit the film but sound like any other soundtrack are dull, I prefer the composer to write something original, not everything has to gel, sometimes contrast works, and it did in the 1979 original for me anyway. If you want an example of a bad/redundant score in a modern film look no further than Star Trek (2009) which boasts a score consisting of what seems like 4 bars of music repeated over and over again except louder. So yeah I was expecting sh1t based on my own perception of the premise and that wildly innacurate Irish Times review which of course had to sing praises of the 1979 original in true elitist fashion, but to me this film surpassed my expectations with a good cast, some interesting characters, a number of intriguing story leads, visual flair and good pace/composition. I don't care about the legacy of the first two film, yeah they're great, no nothing in the franchise is going to come close because generally such levels of awesomeness are really really hard to pass out, but it's a good film in its own right, a great what if? exploration film, so a solid 7/10 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

a5y wrote: »
    Neither did I.
    But a but of googling says that there is a
    teaser for something coming on 10/11/12. Not an actual scene, just a still with that date on it from what I gather.

Yeah thats right - there's also a 'copyrighy Weyland industries' notice. I couldn't figure out what it was about tbh.

Great review a5y
    let me add another point
    Having an alien feotus removed from your abdomen - as in having all the layers of muscle in your abdomen cut right through - you know the ones that help you stand up and walk and **** - having them cut, and then stapled back together (a present day tech by the way), leaves you quite able to walk, run, jump, put on a spacesuit, abseil, fight aliens. With only the occasional dart of pain causing you to moan and clutch your tummy. Yeah that's what recovery from major surgery is like :rolleyes:

Yeah thats right - there's also a 'copyrighy Weyland industries' notice. I couldn't figure out what it was about tbh.

Great review a5y
    let me add another point
    Having an alien feotus removed from your abdomen - as in having all the layers of muscle in your abdomen cut right through - you know the ones that help you stand up and walk and **** - having them cut, and then stapled back together (a present day tech by the way), leaves you quite able to walk, run, jump, put on a spacesuit, abseil, fight aliens. With only the occasional dart of pain causing you to moan and clutch your tummy. Yeah that's what recovery from major surgery is like :rolleyes:

Maybe in the future they have REALLY good pain killers. Adrenalins pretty awesome too.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭senor incognito

If you are a hardcore Alien fan you may spend months of your life coming up with speculations and excuses:"It created wonder"..."It excites thought and debate"..."visually arresting"e.t.c. before you finally admit; actually it's flat, worthless and stoopid, but like many the diehard star-wars fan before you: if you have any true respect for the original, then you will sooner-or-later disown it for the poor, poor cousin it is.

Otherwise, you'll just know it's crap nonsense straight off.

Maybe in the future they have REALLY good pain killers. Adrenalins pretty awesome too.
    :D

Does't matter
    You go running and abseiling that soon after an op with only staples holding your gut closed and you'll burst open like an alien is trying to escape.

Does't matter
    You go running and abseiling that soon after an op with only staples holding your gut closed and you'll burst open like an alien is trying to escape.
    Yeah it was pretty ridiculous, Me and the missus were rolling our eyes at that part
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I don't understand why they didn't get an old guy to play Weyland. The makeup on Pearce was terrible

Great review a5y
    let me add another point

I think I'll throw in another too.
    Scenes that were included but did nothing but make things more confusing

Engineer/Space Jockey watching departing space ship (of a different design to the one seen later in the film, for its shadow is jam doughnut shaped, not ring doughnut shaped) ritually opens up and chugs a Primordial Soup flavoured Space Pot Noodle of Suicide by Disintegration on top of the waterfall of unspecified location on unidentified planet at non-specific time for reasons that he/she/it may or may not have been fully aware of, and the result of which may or may not be significant to the plot of the film. It doesn't come up later, and nor does any explanation of the jockey's motivation.

Any scenes involving dates and planet names. There is nowhere near enough information displayed to create anything approaching a meaningful understand of when and where things are happening. Some things look plain off the shelf from today, others look more advanced than anything that appeared in later Alien films.

Shaw's dreams in stasis. Nothing I learn here isn't overly cryptic and its all drilled into my head clumsily later via the kinda of awkward dialogue that'd be rewritten before being approved in even a Steven Segal film.

"I'm putting up a Christmas tree. Because for some reason we're going to be mixing a baby Jesus's miraculous birth as a metaphor into this mess too. Because only by bridging the ancient beliefs of ancient civilisations where we found those star drawings and a religion originating yet another different region will... err... umm.... "

"To the crew I personally hired, its nice to see you again. *big smile* To the rest of you, I'm your boss and will needlessly be a cold-hearted bitch for some reason. Why? I don't know and this will never be explained. For some reason the script just needs to have a fractured crew who don't look out for each other as far as morale goes. By the end of this speech I hope you all realise no one should have any idea who is ultimately meant to be in charge of making decisions on the ship, and neither should I, so no one will know who is supposes to discipline anyone if whoever acts irresponsibly, which is by now inevitable."

The scene where Old Dead* Holographic Man in Heavy Make Up recounts the tale of the titan Prometheus stealing fire from the gods. Its incomplete, inaccurate, and a tale from an ancient Greece, a civilisation that has actually nothing to do with the ancient civilisations that are actually connected to the reason for the ships journey. Sure, lets throw that on top of the metaphor shopping basket too, in case the Christmas bit gets lonely.

Dave McJerkdroid presses the holographic recording buttons on his merry way through the ship's structure, without informing the rest of the team what he is doing. And no one asks. Sure that may be just bad manners or a reflection of earlier androids having very bad social skills. But there is no serious complaint and then he opens the Door of +2 Decapitation without warning again. Even though he's being unpredictable and this door came down hard and fast enough to earn its ridiculous nickname they're not bothered by his behaviour.

"I like rocks. You don't need me here to look at rocks." (or something similar, its not all that memorable dialogue) Well, shouldn't that confirm "this *IS* an artificial structure" with appropriate levels of wonder and alarm - like say concerning security measures or traps? Actually they should have stopped being so feckless a long time ago, but this still deserves to be singled out.

The particulars of what's happening to who in the storm scene, starting with "why aren't you keeping a tighter grip of the bag containing the incredibly valuable scientific discovery?" through all the indistinguishable space suits, and the role of a winch on a vehicle that isn't obviously either inside or outside of the loading bay. Who's incompetent and showing bad judge? Who's heroic? Is anything important happening to characterisation in this scene? No idea. Maybe when they have a massive argument once inside it'll all be clear who did what and believes in... oh wait, bicker a little but no one is thrown in the brig or anything. "Endanger the mission" is said, but frankly they've all taken their helmets off like idiots which could have been enough to kill 'em all. Its the pot calling the kettle derp frankly.

*Bonus, after claiming the man is dead, the man isn't dead. Considering it was assumed he was on earth (2 years travel time away) or wherever he normally lives and runs the corporation, why the needless deception?

I could go on, but you get the idea :rolleyes: ...

a5y wrote: »
    I think I'll throw in another too.
    Any scenes involving dates and planet names. There is nowhere near enough information displayed to create anything approaching a meaningful understand of when and where things are happening. Some things look plain off the shelf from today, others look more advanced than anything that appeared in later Alien films.

I could go on, but you get the idea :rolleyes: ...

To be fair - this is one thing I'll give the a pass on. Mainly because I was watching Alien last night and the computer tech was ridiculous - even for 1980's predictions. What the entire ship is run by Spectrum ZX10's ???!? And for some reason its called Mother and to talk to it you have to go into a special bubble room for no apparent reason !?!?!

Anyhow I understand that when Alien was made they didn't have the special effects tech to show anything more advanced than that. Now they do. And in fact now if they made a movie with effects like that we'd all laugh hysterically at it and not take it seriously - like a prolonged episode of Red Dwarf.

So I think the fact that the tech in the movie is way more advanced than the later ships by cannon is fair enough really - its more in keeping with how tech has progressed in the real world which is inescapable. If they had computers with pages of text whizzing by with clickity-clack noises going and C64 chunky keyboards we simply wouldn't accept that

To be fair - this is one thing I'll give the a pass on. Mainly because I was watching Alien last night and the computer tech was ridiculous - even for 1980's predictions. What the entire ship is run by Spectrum ZX10's ???!? And for some reason its called Mother and to talk to it you have to go into a special bubble room for no apparent reason !?!?!

Anyhow I understand that when Alien was made they didn't have the special effects tech to show anything more advanced than that. Now they do. And in fact now if they made a movie with effects like that we'd all laugh hysterically at it and not take it seriously - like a prolonged episode of Red Dwarf.

So I think the fact that the tech in the movie is way more advanced than the later ships by cannon is fair enough really - its more in keeping with how tech has progressed in the real world which is inescapable. If they had computers with pages of text whizzing by with clickity-clack noises going and C64 chunky keyboards we simply wouldn't accept that

The clickity clack computer room was one of the best things about Alien 1! Its not start trek and is not trying to be scientifically accurate, Its Science Fiction. The sounds and visuals add to the overall feel and atmosphere.

Don't diss the clickety-clack computer!;)

Also the effects in Alien 1 were mind-blowing and I think Prometheus is the first alien move since aliens to come close to the same quality and given that the first two movies are decades old, that is a testament to the special effects of the day.

It took 33 years for CGI to catch up to the visual quality of animatronics and fiberglass props. In some scenes of the first 2 Alien movies the effects still look better than modern CGI animation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Saw the film in 3D yesterday afternoon, Screen 1 in the Odeon. I thought the film itself wasn't bad at all, what irritated me most wasn't what I was watching but where I was watching it. Big ass screen going from floor to roof but the height difference between each row was tiny so the first metre or two of screen is blocked by the head in the row infront. Absolute joke and baffling how the clowns who designed the place could make such a vacuous building and then fcuk up the most important part of it - the viewing experience. Luckily the rims of my 3D glasses blocked out the annoying extra bright Exit signs to your left, but the screen was so big the rims also blocked some of the picture too. :rolleyes:

No way was it worth the extra fiver over a Cineworld ticket.

@a5y and the first part of your point 10:
    I presumed that first scene with the Engineer killing himself and showing his DNA washing away was meant to signify him seeding a planet with what would turn out to be human life? I didn't think much in relation to the difference in ship design, I presume that scene was dated hundreds of thousands or millions of years in the past (had to be at least greater than the 35,000 years ago when humans were drawing cave paintings of them) - maybe their tech evolved or maybe they have more than one ship type. That's just my interpretation of it anyway.

I think it was BlitzKreig that mentioned this previously, it definitely felt like a good chunk of the film was cut out, maybe to cut the time down or to hold back for the inevitable director's cut. Maybe it will end up like Aliens, the director's cut version is the only one worth watching as it fills in a lot of blanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Saw this last night - a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it overall. Very different to Alien though, which was disappointing.

Confirmed me in my belief that all films from now on should star Michael Fassbender - he's just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Fysh wrote: »

Also, I would quite like it if someone would either take the Idiot Ball away from Hollywood scriptwriters or kick the bastards in the balls every time they use it. I am tired as hell of seeing films in which
    alleged scientists doing retarded things like taking their helmet off after 10 seconds of atmospheric observation, or treating extraplanetary fauna as being inherently friendly and non-aggressive, or performing a variety of examinations on deceased remains of a species shown to be genetically identical to humans without taking any kind of precautions against potential infection, and then being surprised by their consequences. Not as tired as I am of seeing female characters being given "depth" by revealing that they *sob* can't have children *gasp* in a ham-fisted conversation written by an tin-eared idiot.

This REALLY bothered me.
    This is a crew on an extremely important mission, sent 500 billion millions miles across the galaxy at great expense, yet they are a bunch of morons. They poke everything in sight, they push buttons and flick switches to see what happens, they take their helmets off... because they can? Your man trying to cosy up to the alien creature, which was clearly acting aggressively, took the biscuit though.

Would they not have been warned to keep away from alien life because it might be dangerous? Would you even NEED to be warned? I mean, if I saw a snake on EARTH acting aggressively I would be backing away at double speed, as would any right minded person.

Also, why did the crew seemingly have absolutely no concern for one another? I know that they are basically mercenaries and are there the money - but the lack of any sort of professionalism or leadership was crazy. For example, when the two guys are left in the Temple for the night, the captain basically says: "There appears to be aliens moving around in there. Have fun, LOL" before fecking off. And then what did the two guys do - sit tight and wait until morning? Nah, they went back into the big scary room and started poking around.

The fact that the dude in charge of mapping immediately got lost in the Temple also seemed rather ironic. And when they returned to the ship with the alien head - why was their first instinct to try to immediately reanimate it with electricity? Surely they would want to take samples/run other tests/take photographs? Just seemed a ridiculous approach. Come half way across the galaxy and then blow up your only specimen immediately.

Nevermind the crew being poorly developed characters - it was a real problem for me that they were idiots. I'm not someone that would normally pick these kind of holes in a film - but it really bothered me with Prometheus.

/rant

The worst thing about this movie for me personally was
    Logan Marshall-Green's awful character and acting.

Tusky wrote: »
    This REALLY bothered me.
    This is a crew on an extremely important mission, sent 500 billion millions miles across the galaxy at great expense, yet they are a bunch of morons. They poke everything in sight, they push buttons and flick switches to see what happens, they take their helmets off... because they can? Your man trying to cosy up to the alien creature, which was clearly acting aggressively, took the biscuit though.

Would they not have been warned to keep away from alien life because it might be dangerous? Would you even NEED to be warned? I mean, if I saw a snake on EARTH acting aggressively I would be backing away at double speed, as would any right minded person.

Also, why did the crew seemingly have absolutely no concern for one another? I know that they are basically mercenaries and are there the money - but the lack of any sort of leadership or togetherness was crazy. For example, when the two guys are left in the Temple for the night, the captain basically says: "There appears to be aliens moving around in there. Have fun, LOL" before fecking off. And then what did the two guys do - sit tight and wait until morning? Nah, they went back into the big scary room and started poking around. Nevermind the crew being poorly developed characters - it was a real problem for me that they were idiots. I'm not someone that would normally pick these kind of holes in a film - but it really bothered me with Prometheus.

/rant

Agreed. In truth this is my only real gripe with it. The rest of the stuff I can forgive but this bugged me. Alot of stuff people are asking questions about is stuff I think the film makers chose not to tell us and rightly so because it isn't required for consistency, the science mistakes I can forgive in also, but what you just said is stuff that damages the suspension of disbelief required to enjoy the movie.

• Advertisement

The Geologist looked like the type that could barely make it through primary school let alone get a degree in Geology.

Advertisement