Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a religion?

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just a quick one guys. One can be Athiest and still believe in an after life. Would I be right?
    Absolutely. Life goes on after you die. Just not yours. :p

You can believe what you like. I for one will certainly respect that even if I don't share the belief.

Actually a good question. No evidence either way, and according to some traditions doesn't need a god. My own feeling is no, but I'm happy admitting I can't back this up. My flippant-sounding yet honest answer is, does it matter?

See? Open to discussion!

legspin wrote: »
    Yes if you want to.
    :eek:Point of order! Can't believe in something just because you want to!!!:eek:

Blind belief requires delusion (mostly harmless of course), not desire.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

endacl wrote: »
    :eek:Point of order! Can't believe in something just because you want to!!!:eek:

Blind belief requires delusion (mostly harmless of course), not desire.;)

I blow raspberries in your general direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just saw this quote on another forum
    Arguing that atheism is a religion is like arguing that health is a disease. You may as well argue about what make of car is driven by pedestrians

legspin wrote: »
    I blow raspberries in your general direction.
    I don't believe in raspberries. Take that foolishness to the ice cream thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm willing to bet there are about 400 usernames banned from this forum, but only about 7 or 8 actual people banned.
    Would I be close in that guess?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet there are about 400 usernames banned from this forum, but only about 7 or 8 actual people banned.
    Would I be close in that guess?

Would that work out at 6.5%?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

DuPLeX wrote: »
    Yes I do! and that is why I don't confer on it the level of infallibility that you seem to ...
    But if you have some information which you feel you should share on the peer review process and what makes it so infallible and incorruptible . then feel free .
    But condescending comments like "you really don't have any idea do you ?"
    designed to make you feel clever (supposedly at my expense) just wont cut it with me.
    so give it some thought ....

Thought! Do you want to get the guy banned!

koth wrote: »
    Not a scientist, so can't really give an explanation that it deserves. From what I do know, it's a good system. It corrects and refines information as it goes, it's not stagnant.

Not a scientist?! well I never! You sure had me fooled. Tell us what you do know then. I presume there's more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Bold text and exclamation marks - sure signs of a strong argument.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 LambChop...

If Athiests don't believe in God or Creation or the supernatural . then where do they think all of this came from ? ..Just asking .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If Athiests don't believe in God or Creation or the supernatural . then where do they think all of this came from ? ..Just asking .
    Who said atheists don't believe in the supernatural?

I don't know where all this came from, and I don't pretend to know.

Malpaisian 1 Militant atheists 0

This is peer review at work! You "militants", you're so thorough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 LambChop...

well I dont know but I suppose that if you believe in the supernatural then I dont see how you can rule out god .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

It's an interesting question, but atheism simply means not believing in god ... what atheists believe on other issues varies significantly, although I suspect science based theories are common.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

well I dont know but I suppose that if you believe in the supernatural then I dont see how you can rule out god .
    Oh sweet Jebus, I'm closing this fallacy-magnet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement