Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Quirke roadworks merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Surely the bikes will only be coming from one direction?

Even if they should be, there are no guarantees. Better safe (or at least butt-covered in case there's an insurance claim :) ) than sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Early_Bounce

The article states "The club lost 3.5 metres of its pitch under the Seamus Quirke Road widening plan, but was promised a new regulation size pitch, along with a new soccer pitch and running track."

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the road upgrade appears to have been widened to facilitate a turning lane (currently filled with a long line of cones) to the former lumberyard, owned by the former Mayor of Galway Mícheál O'Higgins.

Readers will remember that a planning application for a HyperMarket is currently with the GCC Planning office. Now wouldn't the relocation of facilitates for St. Michael's be a useful condition on the hypermarket (or whatever else is built) planning permission.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

HyperMarket?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭what_traffic

JustMary wrote: »
    Even if they should be, there are no guarantees. Better safe (or at least butt-covered in case there's an insurance claim :) ) than sorry.

In my book, from a design perspective if your explaining your losing.

• Advertisement

See this other dedicated thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77386763
    churchview wrote: »
    HyperMarket?

Really?

Exactly, that's my point.

From the other thread:

"This development will be on the same scale or smaller than Dunnes in Briarhill."

Calling it a HyperMarket is just sensationalising it. Maybe it's a small shopping centre, but it's no hypermarket.

Please read message #841 above. I answered your message in good faith. Clearly, my trust was misplaced.

Just to set you straight. According to the current Department of Environment draft guidelines (November 2011) ,a hypermarket means ‘Self service stores on single or more levels selling both food and a range of comparison goods, with net sales area in excess of 5,000 sq m with dedicated surface level car parking’.
    The floor space of the proposed development (planning application 11/312) is in excess of 7,000 square metres. This term has also been widely used in the local media.

Therefore, it is a hypermarket: no sensationalising it, just fact.
    If you want to call it a small shopping centre, you can: but you are wrong.

Ref: http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,28538,en.pdf (see bottom of page 61 of 78)
    Exactly, that's my point.

From the other thread:

"This development will be on the same scale or smaller than Dunnes in Briarhill."

Calling it a HyperMarket is just sensationalising it. Maybe it's a small shopping centre, but it's no hypermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use the other thread, this is informational for SQR roadworks only.
    That doesn't included hypermarket discussion so more infractions handed out, I've already warned once earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Two marked squad cars on the road this morning pulling people for using the bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

paulgalway wrote: »
    Two marked squad cars on the road this morning pulling people for using the bus lane.
    Delighted to hear that. Hopefully it's not just a once-off.

They will make an absolute fortune if they spend a solid week there pulling and I hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Going to work this morning and saw a guy pulled in who drove down the bus lane opposite Dunnes Stores, delighted to see this, he did not look so smug when I passed him by..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Point of information: where exactly were they parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Don't think they were parked. One had a van pulled in and the 2nd headed towards the Glenoaks, but then I saw it coming down the opposite side of the road, I wonder if they were just doing loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »

Sure if that's the case we'd see those signs everywhere! "watch out! some lunatic may decide to drive up the motorway on the wrong side - keep an eye out!" :p

As I mentioned earlier, the pedestrians are having difficulty looking *one* way as it is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    When I was heading westbound yesterday evening, a garda was standing beside an unmarked car inside the boundary wall of the Topaz garage.

Did they pull any bikes or motorbikes for using the buslanes?

Did they pull any bikes or motorbikes for using the buslanes?

They can only pull motorbikes. Look at the bus lane sign next time you pass.

They can only pull motorbikes. Look at the bus lane sign next time you pass.

Interesting. I presume you mean the bus lane signs are allowing for bikes to use them? Why in the name of God did they bother with the stupid bikes lanes then? Any cyclist would want suicidal tendencies to use them the way they're designed.

Anyway - did anyone see any motorbikes being pulled? I pulled in yesterday to ask a Traffic Corp member what their attitude was likely to be, but I soon saw that the guy they had pulled over was not just a standard traffic stop so I didn't hang around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

asking on of the traffic corp on the road would get the standard responce of we enforce all laws on all roads equally. they aren't going to say if they will let some people break laws.

Interesting. I presume you mean the bus lane signs are allowing for bikes to use them? Why in the name of God did they bother with the stupid bikes lanes then? Any cyclist would want suicidal tendencies to use them the way they're designed.

Yes thats correct re signs and I agree 110% with you regarding the design.

Would have been cheaper and simplier to incorporate lanes into the bus lane. Creating a wide bus lane. I imagine its just road engineers over engineering their creations and also allows them to spend more public money in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Don't think they were parked. One had a van pulled in and the 2nd headed towards the Glenoaks, but then I saw it coming down the opposite side of the road, I wonder if they were just doing loops.

Post of the day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The placement of some of the traffic sensors makes no sense to me.

Here, there is a sensor in front of the white line at the lights, no sensor behind the white line - the lights have no way of knowing that there are cars waiting to turn right.

Turning right coming out at the lights at Dunnes. There is one sensor in front of the line and one behind it. Surely two sensors spaced out behind the line would make more sense as it would allow the lights to sense the length of the queue better. At the moment, usually only 2 or 3 cars get to turn right per green even though there might be a queue of 10 or more cars.

KevR wrote: »

Here, there is a sensor in front of the white line at the lights, no sensor behind the white line - the lights have no way of knowing that there are cars waiting to turn right.

Turning right coming out at the lights at Dunnes. There is one sensor in front of the line and one behind it. Surely two sensors spaced out behind the line would make more sense as it would allow the lights to sense the length of the queue better. At the moment, usually only 2 or 3 cars get to turn right per green even though there might be a queue of 10 or more cars.

Are these induction loop sensors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

KevR wrote: »

Thats the same with every junction, when light goes green to proceed straight on, right turning cars can advance into the junction and await the filter arrow, hence the sensor now knows that the car is there waiting to turn right and will activate the filter arrow to turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

yer man! wrote: »
    Thats the same with every junction, when light goes green to proceed straight on, right turning cars can advance into the junction and await the filter arrow, hence the sensor now knows that the car is there waiting to turn right and will activate the filter arrow to turn right.
    At both of the right turns that I mentioned, there is no straight on. It's left and right only. You can't advance into the junction and wait.

The lights at Briarhill (which work very well) have multiple sensors per lane spaced out behind the stop line. The lights can sense the length of queues and react accordingly. I don't see how this is possible for some manoeuvres in Westside with the current sensor setup. Unless they plan on putting more in..

Main headline on galwaynews.ie today

http://www.galwaynews.ie/26095-road-project-misses-eight-different-deadlines

June 1, 2012 - 7:15am
    Roadworks on main city artery now over nine months late

By Dara Bradley

Today, Friday, marks the eighth deadline that has been missed for the completion of the controversial Seamus Quirke Road project – and still the work is not yet finished.

AND we are not out of the woods yet. They just broke in to Friars Hill estate up top where I heard a land take is now required. That land take may become 'news' next week....is all I will say.

News = Delays.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Post of the day. :D

38 thanks - what was so good about it?:confused:

Advertisement