Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda wheelers races this weekend 21/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Hoping to do the A4 race on Sunday. It'll be my first non-handicapped race, so a whole new ball game in terms of tactics!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is this Saturday's course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    Is this Saturday's course?

yes

Sundays course is here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

lennymc wrote: »
    Sundays course is here

I love how there's a 12m difference between the start of the course and the finish, despite them being at the same junction! :p

Will be doing this on Sunday. Whereabouts is the finish line on that circuit?

buffalo wrote: »
    I love how there's a 12m difference between the start of the course, and the, despite them being at the same junction!

Will be doing this on Sunday. Whereabouts is the finish line on that circuit?

start/finish line is between gaffney and beaumount on that map (at about 9 km)

the 12 m vertical drop is good fun :)
    (or it was my garmin acting funny)

signon is in the Drogheda retail park

• Advertisement

start/finish line is between gaffney and beaumount on that map (at about 9 km)

Super flat bit. Can't see myself placing at this really, but sure we'll see how the race goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Super flat bit. Can't see myself placing at this really, but sure we'll see how the race goes!
    thats defeatist talk get out and ride your nuts off or better still let others ride there nuts off and you sit watch learn:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

Anyone have a rough idea how steep that Copperhill Rd section is? Looks like the climb is about 600/700 metres long, but is it just a drag or does it kick up severely.

@buffalo - I'm with feck sake lads, if you don't think the sprint is for you then you've gotta do the damage somewhere else. sounds easy when you say it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Cycled out that way this morning. The finish line is painted on the road,
    There's a drag just before the finish and then it almost levels out. The road surface from Duleek to the finish is just super.

Ah lads, you make it sound like I've given up already! I've yet to set a breakaway win in an A4 race this year, and I'm not a sprinter, that's my current thinking. But I'm willing to give it a go, don't worry! :)

• Advertisement

MadHatter wrote: »
    Anyone have a rough idea how steep that Copperhill Rd section is? Looks like the climb is about 600/700 metres long, but is it just a drag or does it kick up severely.

@buffalo - I'm with feck sake lads, if you don't think the sprint is for you then you've gotta do the damage somewhere else. sounds easy when you say it ;)

its more of a steady drag than a steep kick. 2 - 4 %.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Peter Bidwell race this evening. 52km, with A4 given 1 minute over A3, and A1s and A2s only 2 minutes further back

The handicaps gave absolutely no incentive to work to stay away, particularly with the knowledge that Philip Lavery was in the field

We still managed to stay away for 2 and a half laps before Philip zoomed past us. It was a bit longer before we were caught by the other groups. I managed to hang on for another lap, doing my usual trick of staying out of trouble towards the back. It actually worked quite wiell for a while on a lumpy course, as most of the climbs were preceded by a descent and I could get some momentum on the lead up, with inevitable bunching amongst those ahead, so it was not to difficult to hang on.

Part way through the 4th lap quite a few of us were detached on one of the climbs though. Fortunately I managed to get on the wheel of an Usher rider and he managed to TT back to the group. It took a lot out of us though, and early on the next lap I was dropped again. I thought it best to stop at the end of that lap, mainly to avoid the risk of getting myself lapped

We averaged about 37kph before we were caught, and then it picked up to around 39kph

Lavery stayed clear to win by around 20s I would guess

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You riding in Drogheda tomorrow Beasty?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Lavery put on some show today. Serious efforts put in by a handful of riders to try to close the gap on him, which was around 45secs with 2 laps to go. Roll on tomorrow and a separate a4 race for 'the rest of us'!

RobFowl wrote: »
    You riding in Drogheda tomorrow Beasty?
    No - family commitments meant I had to race today - the alternative would have been the vets TT tomorrow. I'd like to give an A4 Open race a go some time though - these shortish handicapped ones are pretty savage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

any results i was not to far away from one of the unplaced a4 pots i had to leave for work so didnt get to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrick151

any results i was not to far away from one of the unplaced a4 pots i had to leave for work so didnt get to find out

Its just gone up on stickybottle

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

I hope you got something as I towed you to the line :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Staro wrote: »
    I hope you got something as I towed you to the line :-0)
    you were goin that way anyway :-)

Dirty day at the office, and nothing to show for it. Was dry when the A4s set off, but a lovely shower got us all saturated before we'd done half a lap. Tried my hand at a few attacks, stayed away for about a third of a lap at one point, but nobody bridged (despite some efforts. ;)). Attacked on the last lap on the road into Duleek, a Stamullen rider came with me, but he dropped off at the last corner - not sure why, maybe he saw we were doomed. Went up too early to the front coming into the finish, and the legs gave up long before the finish line was in sight. Essentially pulled over then to let everyone pass me, and rolled over the line paddy last, but happy with the legs and the work done.

Congrats to kenmc of this parish for his placing! :)

PS anyone care to marshall for me in the Hammond race next Sunday? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Enjoyed that. Finished in the bunch (A4).
    Congrats to bcmf who made his comeback to racing after almost 20 years...

Pleasantly surprised at the riding standards. Only 1 crash and that seemed due to the slippery road surface after some heavy showers. The vast majority of rider seems to know how to ride in bunches and there very very few dodgy manouvers.

Anyone take a camera.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Enjoyed that. Finished in the bunch (A4).
    Congrats to bcmf who made his comeback to racing after almost 20 years...

Pleasantly surprised at the riding standards. Only 1 crash and that seemed due to the slippery road surface after some heavy showers. The vast majority of riders seems to know how to ride in bunches and there very very few dodgy manouvers.

Saw that - anyone know if he was okay? He was holding his head, but hopefully just in a 'adopt-foetal-position-don't-get-hit-by-a-bike' kinda way.

my first a4 race, wasnt sure what to expect, but really enjoyed it. My target today was to finish in the bunch, and I did that, so Im happy. I think that rider who fell was ok (i was talking to the marshall at the corner after the race). Weather was pretty bad allright. All in all I enjoyed it. Buffalo - was that you out at the front after the last corner?

@fecksakelads, im sure there will be a few pictures somewhere.

Buffalo - was that you out at the front after the last corner?

In a SS Orwell jersey, aye, most likely. I was caught about a km after the turn.

I saw that rider fall in the A4. He was grand, back in the bunch before Platin.

Here's a photo of the A4 local heroes, left to right, bennersenior, lennymc and
    padjo5, who was 4th. Well done lads.

/Users/eamonnlawlor/Desktop/Image0023.jpg

I don't know how to put the photo up, thought I did. Anyway it was a good one

There, I think.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There, I think.
    super photo eamon lads look great great result for paddy as soon as he gives up the beer he will start winning races;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Really enjoyed that one, despite the rain/dry mix. I'd only just gotten dry after Thursday nights club league swim race. Felt strong all day, comfortably in the top 20-25 riders throughout. Didn't do too much attacking, tried to get across to buffalo on the 2nd lap to give him a dig out, but he was starting to die so I came back and sat in with him for bit. Figured that nothing was going to stick in terms of a break so content with sitting in for the sprint.

A lot of lads really misjudged where the finish was, up and out of the saddle sprinting with over a km to go, there was no way they were going to stick that, so once I managed to unbox myself I went away over to the right where there was a bit of room, and paced myself as best I could - people were coming back down through the group pretty fast as the engines died off.

Dead happy to take the 3rd, was hoping to just nip in for the 6th or 5th even, so deadly doors!

Felt bad for buffalo and a few others though, attacking the whole day only to finish in the bunch after the sprint, fair play to them, deserved better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Had a go at the sprint but left it too late. Was a fast-finishing 7th. Was about a wheel off 6th, which was a pity because I only needed one point for the upgrade.

I was a bit sick not to place but I did much better than I thought I would on a course that didn't really suit me. I've been on the premises in sprints the last two weeks which has been a pleasant surprise.

The family were there so any disappointment was quickly lost in the chorus of "well done daddy". I'll take praise anywhere I can get it!

Advertisement