Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVCA (The Vets)

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Dick O'Brien CP turned into a DMS when over 130 signed on at Batterstown this morning. I was in the largest of the three races, the middle one with 56 or so racing

When I arrived the temperature was hovering around 2 degrees and it had not warmed up much by the time the races set off just after 9.15. 4 laps of the Green Sheds circuit. In such a large group I tend to be more comfortable where I have a bit of room, which is usually towards the back, which is where I stayed for a large proportion of the race

I managed to move up on the final gallop. About 8 riders were up the road and not to be caught. I found myself in a battle with a couple of others on the right hand side of the road, and there was another threesome fighting it out on the other side. I was too focussed on my immediate opponents, so have no idea where I finished in the end.

It was only heading back to the car to de-ice the feet (although it was an almost balmy 7 degrees by then) that I noticed I was on the small ring. I'd felt a bit earlier in the final lap that I was spinning out but thought it was simply the 55kph we were hitting, and thought nothing more of it! I'll await the results of the photo-finish to see if it may have made a difference...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Feckin cold this am ...
    Started the race with Beasty et al but punctured after 20 k.
    Fast aggresive racing in all 3 races today from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Twas tres parky alright on Sunday morn... I was in the middle dms with beasty and robfowl, managed to stay up in the first third of the bunch for most of it, had one or two little digs... Some hard sections where we were lined out a bit and if U lost the wheel on a few of the corners you were digging deep to get back on... Fair play to the lads who stayed away it wasn't easy in the wind... The sprint at the end had a few hairy moments some lads not holding their line at all... Happy to roll in with the bunch, was fairly tired after it... 45miles / 22.0 mph avg [felt a lot harder] / avg hr 160

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Certainly was cold , glad I packed the long finger gloves in my bag.Fair play again to the lads in the break, it's good to see positive attacking racing unlike in some of the open races (although I'd say Stamullen was nice and hard this weekend). Had a few goes myself and tried to get across to that break but didn't have the legs. It looked like they were gonna be caught at one stage but they pulled away again. Decided too stay up front coming into the finish and stay away from the "Hairyness!!! " and picked a low enough gear for the uphill finish. Went early when a guy from Sundrive Track opened up the gallop and hopped on his wheel and waited till someone came by on the right and hopped on again. Took the bunch sprint for 9th place in the end, but got there safe so kinda happy to do that....... Enjoyable racing!!!!

P.S. Brendan Culleton has a few nice snaps of the races up on the IVCA website. See bottom Right hand corner for Brendan Culleton Photos Tab .

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Kebel

Well done, which race were you in ? I was in the Yellow / Black race and likewise we had planty of agressive riding with lots of attacking. Ultimately the race was decided by a strong 4 man group who got away on the 3rd lap, I managed to clip across to join them so was pleased to "open the account" for this year / pick up a few points .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just watching the guys race up by my house here this morning, tough conditions in that wind and not much shelter around here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Temperature started at around 5 degrees increasing to 7-8, but the windchill took it nearer to zero. Accuweather is currently showing NNEastery at 48kph with gusts up to 71kph - it was tough out there today

97 signed on - 3 short of the magic number that would have turned it into a DMS, so we ended up with the first vets CP of the season (I think a lot of us would have preferred a DMS, particularly given the conditions). Perhaps 15-18 or so in our group - the 3rd of 6 off, and heading straight into the wind

Most of the group declined numerous invitations to take a turn at the front, and with one guy heading up the road (presumably oblivious to CP protocol), for a lot of the time until we were caught (when we were down to 9 I think) 3 of us did most of the work.

Some of the scratch guys came past us on the 3rd (of 4) lap and ploughed on ahead. Some of us managed to regroup on the hill round the back of the course before being caught by another large group. I managed to hang on until the same hill on the last lap. I was slightly detached, but thought I may get back on during the descent (on one lap I'd created a gap with the group just freewheeling down that hill - clearly benefiting from a combination of my weight and a very aero bike;)), but 2 cars got between me and thr group putting paid to that and I came in just behind that group. I'm not sure how many from my group were ahead at the end - at least 2 were, including the guy who broke away, and I know the other 2 who did most of the work were behind me - there's an outside chance I was 3rd in my group which would get me my first "bonus" point of the year

Overall, probably my toughest ever race, with the strong winds and over 600m of climbing, but thoroughly enjoyable (in hindsight at least!) nonetheless.

I didn't know this was on today or I'd have made an attempt to get a few pics, I met the cars on my way home in the tractor this morning, 3 of the more senior Vets first followed by another car with 5 or 6 slightly younger fellas followed at a distance by a bigger bunch, don't know whether that was your first lap or not. Was the big branch still across the road? I'd rang my neighbour to clear it but it must have been hairy there if it was.

I met a big group a little later when I was heading out for a spin myself, things were a bit more stretched out by then, it must have been getting on towards the finish at that stage.

nilhg wrote: »
    I didn't know this was on today or I'd have made an attempt to get a few pics, I met the cars on my way home in the tractor this morning, 3 of the more senior Vets first followed by another car with 5 or 6 slightly younger fellas followed at a distance by a bigger bunch, don't know whether that was your first lap or not. Was the big branch still across the road? I'd rang my neighbour to clear it but it must have been hairy there if it was.
    Slowest group (of only about 6) went off around 9.15, with a larger group a few minutes later, then us, and the 4th group probably was the largest

There was no branch there on the first lap, but we were warned a bit ahead during the second - there was a marshal there by then and your neighbour was there with the chainsaw - there was just a bit of debris on the road by then (some of the earlier groups may have encountered it though). Thanks for phoning him, and to him for sorting it out

Did this today myself ,good hard course. Started off in the white group.From early on it was evident we were gonna be caught. A couple of us (guys from Swords cc , fixx Rouleurs & cuchulainn). tried to get the up and overs going but to no avail .Was actually quite disorganised with Guys switching from inside without warning , and guys sitting up just as the were about to go on the front disrupting the chain. Found the going quite tough on the last time up the Hill(Thanks to that guy for clearing the Tree Branch off the road). Nothing left in the Tank when I crossed the line and was glad to see that the Local club had organised Tea & Sambo's at the finish, Thanks Guys , well appreciated!!

Another enoyable but tough race. Thanks to the marshalls and those who give up their time to organise these races.

• Advertisement

The problem with the vets CPs is there seems to be an expectancy amongst most groups that they will be caught, so a number of riders just sit on, saving something for the inevitable catch

However there was certainly one CP lat year when Groups A to D stayed away, and one when I think some in Group B remained up the road

The Group I'm in (C) does not seem to have any confidence to try and work together (with a few notable exceptions). The problem is exacerbated by one or two riders who will never take a turn at the front, but will inevitably be there at the end to pick up a few points as first, second or third unplaced from the group. I find it a bit of a contrast with the Swords League, where a much higher proportion (but certainly not everyone by any means) will at least try to contribute and get the up and overs going. One of the issues I guess is there is not much of an incentive in terms of League points from staying away with the vets as you still get some for simply being in the first few in your group, whereas all points in the Swords go to the first 10 across the line, from whatever group.

TBH, the numbers turning up which have forced all but today's race into a DMS has probably made the vets racing quite a bit better (and perhaps less predictable) than in previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

This was a bloody hard race today... I honestly thought they were going to run a dms even though they were 3 short of the 100 needed... It's too hard a course for a cp I think, I don't see the benefit in watching scratch slice through the race as if we were standing still (I was in greens)... Anyway I started off with greens with Beasty et al... Beasty doing a fair amount of work with two or three others, fair play Beasty that was hard graft... I wasn't going too near the front in that bloody wind, and I was finding it hard going as it was... I didn't have much in the legs at all when the small three-man group from scratch went by like a train (that was after we'd been caught by whites) and when the main yellows group went by on the top of the hill of the third lap I was cooked... Hung on for maybe a km or so but legs were screaming and dropped off the back on the draggy bit before the start-finish line... Went on to do the final lap on my todd, and thank god a group went by me and I went around the last lap with them... I was ker-knackered when I got back to the car .... Thanks also to to nihlg for sorting out that tree.

No need to be thanking me for sorting the tree folks, I didn't even know ye were there at that stage, that's just the thing you do, if something needed to be sorted here my neighbour would ring me.

Anyone care to explain DMS and CP?

Interestingly I see quite a few new fast times up Boston Hill for today on Strava (including me on my way home:D), that wind was doing some good;).

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

DMS : Divided Mass Start
    CP : Chase Pursuit

In each case, riders are grouped according to ability.

For a DMS, each group has its own race, without regard for the other groups. So the fastest group goes off first and all the riders in that group race against each other. Then the next fastest group goes off a few minutes later and does likewise. Unless something goes wrong, the groups should never meet each other, though it is conceivable that the scratch (fastest) group could catch the limit (slowest) group on a course with a short lap, if there are a sufficient number of laps in the race.

For a CP, the groups leave in the reverse order, slowest first, fastest last. It's a handicapped race and the first rider across the line is the overall winner. So each group is chasing the group ahead of it and it is in their interest to work together until all groups in front have been caught. Then the real racing can begin.

Also in a CP it's in the interests of the slower groups to stay away to try and take all the spoils. If the fastest groups catch them they are unlikely to produce the winner in a sprint. Hence, in theory at least, the slower groups should work to stay away, and if and when they combine with other groups, their critical mass will hopefully make the larger group a bit faster which helps keep the faster riders at bay.

In an ideal world, everyone in the group will contribute to the workload (either to catch the groups ahead, or stop those behind catching them) - unfortunately this is where it all tends to go a bit pear-shaped;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

though it is conceivable that the scratch (fastest) group could catch the limit (slowest) group on a course with a short lap, if there are a sufficient number of laps in the race.

Just out of interest, if this did happen, would it be considered poor form for stronger limit riders to try to hang on to the scratch group in order to escape their competitors?

Just out of interest, if this did happen, would it be considered poor form for stronger limit riders to try to hang on to the scratch group in order to escape their competitors?
    It's a separate race, so I would say so - it's akin to a break being paced at the front by a team car guess

One of the guys had a bit of a nasty fall today I heard.Has anyone any news on this ...involved a tractor I heard? I hope he's okay !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dub56

He came down as we overtook a number of tractors on drag into the wind,luckily
    enough it was the slowest part of the race.I think he bumped off one of the tractors and fell. The ambulance was there very quickly as it was following the race.I heard he has a shoulder injury .There were a lot of vintage tractors on the road today,must have been a show on somewhere.
    Otherwise great racing and all came together for a bunch finish.

Advertisement