Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sanna Dullaway is an artist who painstakingly colourises iconic old photographs. I think it's amazing how vivid and real these images seem as a result.

They're too big to upload here, but there's a good selection here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088611/Swedish-artist-Sanna-Dullaway-injected-colour-host-historic-photographs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Perhaps not shaking the world but a very poignant picture of a homeless man and his loyal dog.

428639_344811938888250_248183195217792_888969_1294521672_n.jpg

edit: on a different computer I can't see the image so just to be sure to be sure here's the link
    http://i.imgur.com/E4Wme.jpg

and the same image reposted

E4Wme.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

article-0-12564812000005DC-668_634x463.jpg

Protester ran 50m before collapsing in flames outside Indian Parliament

article-0-125665D3000005DC-814_306x423.jpg

article-0-125657E4000005DC-663_306x423.jpg

Over 30 have performed self-immolation this year in protest at China's rule over Tibet ..

article-2120427-1256753C000005DC-431_634x403.jpg

article-2120427-125735AA000005DC-495_634x428.jpg

A Tibetan protester has been treated for severe burns after setting himself on fire in a demonstration before the Chinese president's visit to India.

The male protester sprinted for 50m through New Delhi today engulfed in flames as hundreds demonstrated against China's rule over Tibet.

Jamphel Yeshi carried out the self-immolation as he ran near the speakers at a rally near the Indian Parliament in the country's capital.

The Tibetan sustained burns on 98 per cent of his body and his condition in hospital was described as critical today.

He was on fire perhaps less than two minutes, but some of his clothing had disintegrated and his skin was mottled with black, burned patches by the time he was driven to a hospital.

Yeshi, 27, escaped from Tibet in 2006 and had been living in New Delhi for the past two years, activists said.

He collapsed after around 50m as fellow protesters beat out the flames with Tibetan flags they were carrying.

Yeshi was later treated for severe burns at a New Delhi hopital, one Tibetan organiser said.

He made the dramatic protest as Chinese President Hu Jintao prepared to arrive in India later this week for a summit meeting.

More than 600 protesters, carrying banners and posters, marched across New Delhi to a central plaza near the Indian Parliament to hold a protest meeting.

The Tibetan protest came as Chinese president Hu Jintao prepared to visit New Delhi for a summit meeting.

Some carried posters saying 'Tibet is burning' and 'Tibet is not part of China'.

At the protest venue a big poster featuring Mr Hu's face with a bloody palm print on it said: 'Hu Jin Tao is unwelcome' at the summit.

As speakers addressed the crowd, the protester set himself ablaze and ran across the venue.

After witnessing the man set himself on fire, one onlooker, Tenzin Dorjee, said: 'This is what China faces unless they give freedom to Tibet.'

At least 30 people in Tibet have set themselves on fire over the past year in protest at Chinese rule over their homeland.

The Dalai Lama has blamed China's 'ruthless policy' for the self-immolations. China accuses the Dalai Lama of stirring up trouble.
    China says Tibet has always been part of its territory. Tibetans say the Himalayan region was virtually independent for centuries.

Article with video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

gold_2.png

May not have shook the world but it certainly caused a helluva lot of people on boards to get their knickers in a knot for a few hours.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Orville Wright makes the first ever manned flight. December 17 1903
    800px-First_flight2.jpg
    Despite the success of this flight it took 5 years before anyone acknowledged the achievement. So on second thought, maybe it didn't shake the world. Good photo though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

With the day thats in it;

titanicice.jpgW241_F_Image_4_38586.jpg

titanic-sinking-drawing.png

6642.jpg

titanic-ship-wreck.jpg

article-2127503-12871CB1000005DC-93_964x641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Poor rhino. :(

It makes me ashamed of humanity. :mad:

InxQB.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Blisterman wrote: »
    Orville Wright makes the first ever manned flight. December 17 1903

Despite the success of this flight it took 5 years before anyone acknowledged the achievement. So on second thought, maybe it didn't shake the world. Good photo though.

This was actually the FIRST MANNED FLIGHT..

Some 70 years before the Wrights powered flight.

Cayley_Glider_Replica_Flown_By_Derek_Piggott_2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_George_Cayley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Previous link seems to have vanished so reposting this.

The Trinity Test. The first atomic explosion.

a37atomic1zd0.jpg

a37atomic2br8.jpg

1952-test-02.jpg

http://www.yellowswordfish.com/257/1000000000th-of-a-second/

Don't forget!

2010-12-24-11-24-23-5-severe-ecological-consequences-of-bp-oil-spill-in.jpeg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

The remains of this Laysan Albatross chick show the plastic ingested before death, including a bottle cap and lighter. :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Laysan_albatross_chick_remains.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Physicist, Prof Richard Feynman illustrates the reason why the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up....

A4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The amount of ****e spouted about football at times is crazy, and I probably stir with the best of them.

But 23 years ago, 96 football supporters died at a football match. Was reading a quote from John Aldridge this morning about his visit to a 14 year old boy who was in a coma, and eventually died, and it would upset anyone reading it...
    Whenever I think of Hillsborough I am drawn to the story of young Lee Nicol from Bootle. Lee was fourteen but looked about ten. He reminded me of my son, Paul. Lee was in the middle of the crush at Leppings Lane but was still alive when he was pulled out. I went to see him in hospital. He looked a lovely kid. As he lay there in a coma, I whispered words into his ears. I asked the doctor about his chances of recovery. ‘˜He’s clinically dead, John,’ he said. I hadn’t realised how badly he was injured. That news ripped into me. My heart went out to Lee’s family, decent people who didn’t deserve to be victims of such a tragedy.

Doesn't matter who you support, or even if you don't support anyone, tbh football doesn't even come into it. The memory of all those who died at Hillsborough should be remembered today.

20yearssincehillsboroughfootba.jpg

hillsborodis.jpg

image-1-for-hillsborough-disaster-gallery-809430046.jpg

Hillsborough3.jpg

_45683480_hillsborough_512.jpg

tumblr_ljp7leGBp71qa8ru7o1_500.jpg

image-2-for-hillsborough-disaster-gallery-269409005.jpg

And at Anfield in the aftermath.
    a-carpet-of-flowers-covers-anfield-as-a-tribute-for-the-hillsborough-victims-460-986400410.jpg

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Courtroom defiance

200681.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

The deaths of two horses at the Grand National in Aintree saw a lot of people take a different stance on horse racing:

Tony+McCoy+falls+from+Synchronised+before+the+start+of+the+John+Smith%27s+Grand+National+Steeple+Chase+on+day+three+of+the+2012+John+Smith%27s+Grand+National+meeting+at+Aintree
    Earlier: McCoy fell from Synchronised before the start of this year's race

Synchronised+fall+at+Bechers+in+the+Grand+National+-+showing+vet+tent
    Fatal fall: Horses are diverted around the fence where Synchronised fell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Horse racing and/or animal cruelty discussions belong somewhere else. Go there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Something seems a bit wrong with Hitler sightseeing...
    It is one of the most perplexing things about him, looked so damn normal and killed so many.

Thats not sightseeing,thats a conqueror surveying his new empire.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭blackwhite

kleefarr wrote: »
    George Cayley image

Picture is from a 1970's reconstruction, so not really a pic that shook the world....

Cayley's was the first modern manned flight of a heavier-than-air aircraft, but was by no means the first manned flight. It should also be noted, that he didn't manage to get his craft to fly to a greater height than his point of departure.
    The first modern manned flight was by balloon, launched by the French Montgolfier brothers in 1783.

There are also various historical accounts of glider flight (including that of an English monk flying a glider from a hill around 1010), but no evidence other than long-after-the-fact accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

2012 Pulitzer Prize winners for breaking news. This is from Afghan photographer Massoud Hossaini, whose picture of a girl reacting to a suicide bombing. The explosion of which the young girl, Tarana Akbari, is a survivor killed more than 70 people. Among the dead were seven of Akbari’s own family members, who had traveled to Kabul in honor of the holiday of Ashura; nine of her other relatives were wounded.
    Wonder if the little boy in the yellow survived :(

enhanced-buzz-wide-14464-1334606337-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A picture of Barack Obama sitting on the Rosa Parks bus.

The historical significance of this picture is incredible.

BarOB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Hossaini 'celebrating' the win. Seems wrong somehow to celebrate the image. :(

20120417.172948_afp_greendresswinner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Picture lacks context, it could be fake celebration/dark humour. Winning a prize for photographing something horrific. It shouldn't be referred to as a 'prize'.

I'd imagine in Afghanistan if you didn't laugh you'd cry ALOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

The Large Hadron Collider at Cern in Switzerland. The pinnacle of human intellect, ingenuity and engineering.

cern.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Doga

Found this thread via Bolt.org and went through almost every page. Thought I would register and share some that I did not find in this thread...

This image Sam The Koala certainly grabbed headlines world wide. David Tree sharing his water with Sam. She was later taken to the rescue centre.

article-1141662-035E4DE9000005DC-804_468x350.jpg

Video at the bottom of this article... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1141662/Australians-comfort-badly-burned-koalas-best-friends-surviving-bushfires.html

515001-lindy-chamberlain.gif

Azaria Chamberlain with her mother Lindy who claimed not long after this photo was taken that "A Dingo ate my baby".

hefnerG150307_468x544.jpg

Hugh Hefner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Well... that was a fine way to spend the weekend! Mind you, I need new eyes!
    Just a couple of things...
    • Pictures without context / notes are pointless. Some of these posts are years old and are not all that well known anymore.
    • Reposts will be the death of us! Read through the thread (its worth it!) and avoid reposting. If you want to repost a sentiment / occasion at the very least find a different pic!
    • Bitching is tiresome. MOAR PICS!

Sorry mods... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Mousey- wrote: »
    British soldier arguing with resident
    found this on the net a while ago. I'm not sure of the original caption but its
    a great photo. (note the graffitti "victory to the Hunger Strikers")
    http://i.imgur.com/8mQlD.jpg

Where did you find this pic? I think that's my Dad! :eek:

And my contribution... sorry for the small pic.
    lg_frank_stagg_burial.jpg

Burial of Frank Stagg. Not world shaking but certainly Nation shaking.
    On February 12th 1976, Frank Stagg died after fasting for 62 days.
    His ordeal was not over. Against his own expressed wishes and those of his family, his body was hijacked by the Fine Gael/Labour Government who had it flown to Shannon Airport and locked in the mortuary from which famly members were excluded.
    Frank's body was then taken to Ballina where it was buried by the Garda Special Branch who had six feet of concrete poured on the coffin to prevent reburial. This was all to stop him being honoured with a republican funeral as his comrade Michael Gaughan had been, with thousands of people paying their respects in London, Dublin and across Ireland to Ballina.

But Frank Stagg's wishes were fulfilled on November 6th 1976 when IRA Volunteers re-interred him in the Republican Plot beside Michael Gaughan in Leigue Cemetery, Ballina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Skinfull wrote: »
    Where did you find this pic? I think that's my Dad! :eek:
    I found it randomly on the internet a around when I posted it, as I said, I don't know the offical caption (it must be a press photo) but it is an amazing photo.

Did a bit of seraching for you, I think the photographer was James Nachtwey, he's fairly famous and has alot of worldd famous photographs to his name.

James Nachtwey - Northern Ireland
    Portfolio of his work- Truley amazing shots, each and everyone
    apparently this is him beside a gunman
    james_natchwey_112803.jpg

Northern Ireland, 1981.
    tumblr_m1xgwk5f9n1r28jzgo1_500.jpg

Northern Ireland

art-250.jpg

also another photo of the troubles I found
    tumblr_lfkg8akytv1qc21cto1_500.jpg

Northern Ireland (William Street, Derry, Northern Ireland)
    Gilles Peress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oneijac

Going to add one of my own to this excellent thread.

The memorial stone is pasted into this photo.

Its a Pte. Michael McNeela who was killed when on duty with UNIFIL in a village most of you here won't have heard of - 'Haddatha' in South Lebanon.

Pte.McNeela was an Irish soldier serving with the 64th Inf Battalion.

Of note in the photo is he was killed one month to the day this photo was taken.

195324.JPG

May Pte.McNeela and all his comrades who have been killed in action in the service of peace rest in peace.
    I knew Micky a great guy RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Firefighterbabyocb.jpg

Sorry I cant embed, those sites are blocked at work. Maybe a mod can do it?

Firefighter carrying a child after the Oklahoma bombing in 1995, the child died later in hospital. (17 years ago already!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Here is an example of where that identical photo was posted before :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63215704&postcount=121

Advertisement