Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 22/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

In response to London vs Boston marathon smackdown

vs

London you're been served! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Podge83 wrote: »
    Name|PB Time|Target Time|Start|London 2012 time
    robinph|2:58:54|2:55|Red|
    TheRoadRunner|2:36:45|2:42|Red|
    Cartman78|3:32:05|3:09|Red|
    Brianderunner|3:09:01|2:59:59||
    shels4ever|4:29|3:59 aprox|blue|
    Podge83|2:43:21|2:39:59|Blue|
    dermcu|2:44:13|2:41:59||
    Abhainn|2:41:11|2:37|Red|
    RunForestRun|2:58:23|3:12|Red|

Would love a sub 3.10 but I'll probably throw caution to the wind, go out at sub 3 pace, die at 15 miles and struggle home in a hoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

wideball wrote: »
    London you're been served! :D

I've amended your table :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Would love a sub 3.10 but I'll probably throw caution to the wind, go out at sub 3 pace, die at 15 miles and struggle home in a hoop.
    mmmm thats going to be a sight to see :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What are these 'hoops' that people are talking about??

From what I can gather it seems to be a sort of fatigue assistance device?? Reckon I'll be needing one too at some stage.

Physio booked for tomorrow - don't think I'll get any running in til Friday or Saturday at the earliest....the Extreme Taper starts here :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

TheRoadRunner|2:36:45|2:42|Red|
    RunForestRun|2:58:23|3:12|Red
    opus|2:55:10|2:52|Red

Must admit I feel somewhat apprehensive even writing that target down but nothing ventured nothing gained!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

opus wrote: »
    Name|Fancy Dress Costume|PB Time|Target Time|Start|London 2012 time
    robinph||2:58:54|2:55|Red|
    TheRoadRunner|guy dressed as a banana..(there is always one)|2:36:45|2:42|Red|
    Cartman78||3:32:05|3:09|Red|
    Brianderunner||3:09:01|2:59:59||
    shels4ever||4:29|3:59 aprox|blue|
    Podge83||2:43:21|2:39:59|Blue|
    dermcu||2:44:13|2:41:59||
    Abhainn||2:41:11|2:37|Red|
    RunForestRun||2:58:23|3:12|Red
    opus||2:55:10|2:52|Red

Must admit I feel somewhat apprehensive even writing that target down but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Just updated the table... I thought the idea of the London marathon is to do it in fancy dress.. :D

wideball wrote: »
    Just updated the table... I thought the idea of the London marathon is to do it in fancy dress.. :D

I was actually going to dress up as a bee. I'm running for the Bee for Battens charity and was going to have a tilt at the world record. It was too late to arrange it by the time I enquired. Reckon I could still have beaten you Boston pussies in a bee suit anyway :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What is the record for a bee?

You might be a useful pacer in a bee suit.

robinph wrote: »
    What is the record for a bee?

You might be a useful pacer in a bee suit.

I don't think there is one. Their is a record for an animal but not too sure if there is an arthropod specific record.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would be interesting to see the Kenyans that can't quite make the Olympic teams start dressing up to claim some fancy dress world records.

Would be interesting to see the Kenyans that can't quite make the Olympic teams start dressing up to claim some fancy dress world records.

Ah no that's not fair. My only chance of running a world record (I use the term loosely :)) would be gone automatically.
    Can you imagine it, "here's bananaman in a new WR of 2.10".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Red start.......85 mint halfway and when I blow up i hope to break 3......Pb is 2.52 so i will be having a go at 2.50..............

Well last long run out of the way feeling a bit tired but uninjured and a nice 14 days to rest up :). No mental sh1t from now....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

Never got any word on what wave I am starting at. Is there any way to find out?

Never got any word on what wave I am starting at. Is there any way to find out?

Your race number is related to your start position. Have a look at the start map of Grenwich park in the magazine you were mailed/emailed, you can figure your start zone from that I think.

...and there are no waves. It just takes longer for you to reach the start line the further back you are, we all start from the same gun though.
    Red start.......85 mint halfway and when I blow up i hope to break 3......Pb is 2.52 so i will be having a go at 2.50..............
    I think I may be almost daring enough to join you on that mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

...and there are no waves. It just takes longer for you to reach the start line the further back you are, we all start from the same gun though.
    I think I may be almost daring enough to join you on that mission.
    Will see how the nxt fortnight goes but I will let you know in ten days. Company will be great. Based on your mallow time if you have good endurance you will be close. At least if we blow up we can laugh at each other. Maybe opus might join us too.

TheRoadRunner|2:36:45|2:39.30|Red|

Feck it, balls on the table time. Going to go for 2.39, rationale is if I blow up I'll still bag a 2.43. As our cockney friend Delboy would say "he 'ho dares, wins". Another good week 80+ miles and a great weekend of running.

Time to start getting the crystal ball out and try to predict the weather. This 15 day forecast looks near perfect to me. Light wind, low temps. High chance of rain but hopefully this will hold off until after the start. Forecasts can be hit and miss but it's enjoyable having a look day by day, a bit like horoscopes, you know they mean feck all but try and read some comfort from them :) Hope everybody is injury free and enjoying taper time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yes weather looks decent now, well little wind and probable rain.
    For all you metrology nuts like me 22nd April

Click on 22nd April 12 GMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

TheRoadRunner|2:36:45|2:39.30|Red|
    psychozeb|2:58:54|3:05|blue

just waiting for my details in the post from sports international tomorrow.
    got my number from sports travel international this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Jasas lads, leave the weather forecast for another bit yet!

Mind you this one looks good wind wise:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/london/w1b-2/daily-weather-forecast/328328?day=14[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Can't believe this will all be over in 2 weeks time....the last month or so has flown.

Took all of last week off following final 22 mile LSR last Sunday and physio on Tuesday. The plantar faciitis flared up pretty badly tbh...spent a few days stretching, icing etc.

Went for 10k run on Saturday and felt awful, heavy legs and stiff all over. Went out again today in the lashing wind and rain and felt grand. Felt strong and comfortable over my hilly 10k local route.

Listened to the last couple of Marathon Talk podcasts recently as well....good advice from the guys on tapering and niggle management. Sure, I'd love to be banging out speedy 10 milers now and doing quality intervals on the track but I have months of tough training behind me so should be ok if i can keep things ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Will see how the nxt fortnight goes but I will let you know in ten days. Company will be great. Based on your mallow time if you have good endurance you will be close. At least if we blow up we can laugh at each other. Maybe opus might join us too.

Ah I see what the lads on Marathon Talk refer to as 'goal creep' in action :)

Last week I'd have definitely have said no but p&d told me to do a 10k race this weekend & as there wasn't anything handy on good friday, I did a 10k time trial on the treadie instead, that went better than I expected so maybe I'll give it a lash. Will let you know for sure nearer the day...

I like BeepBeep's table on the Rotterdam thread especially the hyperlinked heading :D

These are the two that Brianderunner mentioned a few pages back:

O'Neills
    Waxy O'Connors

I'm wondering if going to an "authentic Irish pub" would be the best option for you lot, you'll only complain that the Guinness is bad and doesn't travel and the locals don't know how to pour it properly etc. :D

I'm wondering if going to an "authentic Irish pub" would be the best option for you lot, you'll only complain that the Guinness is bad and doesn't travel and the locals don't know how to pour it properly etc. :D

Well if you shower could come up with a good english pub we wouldnt have to ;)

Regardless of pub etc we will give out about you English gits :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Sorry to deflect from preparations for you guys.

I want to run this in 12 months time. How did the rest of you get in this year? Is the ballot the easiest way? How likely am I to get in via the ballott? How do you spell ballott :)?
    I had a look at the site for opening date for entries. Cant find anything but from memory it opened on race day 2011 for the 2012 race.

Thanks and good luck.

Advertisement